Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions 2007 and newer

Comments

• Hi,
    I have a 2001 four cylinder wrangler. I have been experiencing a squealing noise which has gotten progressively worse. At first I thought it might be a bushing or boot etc. but I wonder if it is the u-joint... The noise is definitely not the wheels as it is sounds like it is moving much faster than the wheels.

Anybody have any suggestions or similar problems? If it is the u-joint, there doesn't seem to be any grease fittings so do I need to replace?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    You sure it's not the belt? My belt would squeal, but I tightened the tensioner pulley and it stopped. The belt was slipping.

A bad u-joint would be a repeating noise...

-Paul
  • Does anyone have issues with their jeep wrangler not starting if the tilt steering column is all the way in the up position. This has been looked at three times by the dealer and each time it is good for about a week and then it wont start. It will start if you move the tilt all the way to the bottom. About halfway down i hear a twang and anytime after that it will start. any solutions?
  • davej5davej5 Posts: 1
    My 2008 Wrangler does exactly the same thing. I've been waiting to take it in to the dealer until it starts doing it more often because I had the same problem with a steering shimmy that they couldn't duplicate. It's doing it pretty often now so I think I'll take it and tell them to keep driving it until it pops out for them. It really is frightening when it first happens to you or you aren't paying attention, not to mention dangerous when pulling out into traffic. I'm getting to where I keep my hand on the shifter when in 1st gear in case it pops out.
  • belibeli Posts: 1
    hi,
    I have the same problem, but my wrangler is has only 2k. I've taken it twice to two different dealers and they keep saying that it is my fault. I also tried to hold the lever when it is in first but it hit my hand once and I don't do it anymore. If you find any place. or any way to fix this problem please let me know.

Thanks.
  • I have a 98 Wrangler and on the 4th transmission. Three yrs ago my transmission went out and replaced with a Jasper. I have gone thru three installed in less than 3 yrs and two of them in the last month. The first replaced trans started out as 1st, 2nd and reverse not going in smoothly, lost of grinding. I got replaced then 1st gear popping out (in intersections and about getting rearended)I thought the transmission was laying on the road by the sound that it made and the shaking of the jeep. The more transmissions I get replaced the worse that it does it. The syncronizers are what the problem is supposedly.

I am not getting anywhere with Jasper so I am researching other vehicles and unloading this one. It's a shame because I am so much a Jeep lover but enough is enough.

Good luck with your's. I atleast got 7 good years before the problems began.
  • Hello. I'm back again after a y :mad: ear or more. I've developed a loud squeal in front end. My 2008 Rubicon was held at the dealer for 8 hours and they called it "...the backing plate touching the rotor..." and claimed the adjustment they did cured it. ON THE WAY HOME THE SQUEAL started again. Can anyone suggest something ? Thanks.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    It is possible you have a brake dust buildup in the caliper. Try a high pressure wash around the brake calipers. Do it once a week. An automatic car wash booth won't get it like you will with a good hard stream of water. Compressed air works well also but sure makes a mess. If that isnt it, maybe the pads were installed without anti-seize compound or backing.
  • Hi all. I bought a 2007 4dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 Automatic in January of '07 (brand new). It currently has about 32K miles (I drive about 50 miles roundtrip to work 5 days a week on the highway). I love the vehicle, but about a month ago my husband and I were driving along at about 70, and it the whole Jeep shook like we had a blow out. We pulled over, but nothing was wrong. Tires were fully inflated. I drove later that week about 400 miles (we were going camping) one way and 400 miles back and nothing happened. This morning my husband took my Jeep to work as he is bringing it in for an oil change, and at about 65mph it did the same thing. He pulled over, checked the tires, and same thing. It really feels like the way a vehicle reacts when you have a blow out - not necessarily just a front end shake.
    Has anyone had this problem? I am worried again, because we are supposed to tow a trailer this weekend from Vegas to Park City, UT and back, with kids, and the trailer will be full on the way back. Help!
  • Sorry to take so long responding. It's been a month and squeel is basically gone. I only hear it when STOPPED (!) and maybe rolling a bit. I have the 6 speed so it may be clutch related. Anyhow it is about .02 percent what it was...this I can live with. EXTENNNNNNNDED HAPPY DRIVING WISHES TO ALL. :shades:
  • It wouldn't hurt to have all tires re-balanced...it was a VW years ago that almost threw me off the road...just after I left the FIRESTONE Store. The dope that balanced my wheels had NO IDEA what he was doing. Your car may have thrown a weight .Look for uneven wear on tires too. You are wise to get this thing fixed before you go anywhere distant. :D
  • cwt1cwt1 Posts: 1
    Wiper motor function correctly in all positions (varible, low and high) except off. It runs at low speed when off. Should I change the wiper switch or wiper motor? What if any diaignostic steps do I take?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I think you've already done the diagnostic and the problem is likely the switch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Have you been through dirt/mud? I've had the problem after wheeling my TJ and gotten stones in between the rotor and pad. I'd highly suggest just getting in there with a hose and rinsing things off well and visually inspecting for any rubbing going on.

Are you sure this isn't an engine squeal? Or is it more like a wheel squeal/grinding noise? If it is a grinding squeal, I'd bet you have a stone or lots of brake dust in there. If it is just dust, I'd suggest a new pad with lower dust generation. I'm putting EBC brakes on my wife's car. They have a EBC Yellow and Green that would be ideal for a Wrangler and have a LOT less dust than stock. Yellow in front, green in back IIRC (due to braking loads).

-Paul
    X2. Your switch is bad. The switch on the steering column is a one piece design. Replace that entire assembly. You can buy new from the dealer. Also consider www.jeepsareus.com and perhaps find a local salvage yard and grab one from a comparable Jeep. Collins Bros Jeep out of Texas also has Jeep parts (I'm just not sure how new).

-Paul
  • I just got my 2007 Unlimited X back from the dealership for the 3rd time this month for water leaks. It started first above my windshield and then my passenger door. Now it is my driver side door. I am glad it started before my warranty was up. They said they have had lots of problems with the wranglers after they have about 20 or 30k miles on them. I am getting very frustrated also. Never expected they couldn't get it fixed. They keep replacing the weather stripping. Still leaking!
  • I had the same problem in June. Call the dealer. They fixed my jeep by replacing the steering stabilizer to an after market. I had to call Jeep direct. Jeep has had problems with the steering stablilizer on 07 jeeps. They also call this Death Wobble
  • I am taking my 2007 Sahara Jeep Wrangler in for severe water leaks for the 7th time(SEVENTH TIME). How much paper work do I need to stack up on this very aggravating problem before its classified a lemon. Now its leaking in the center right down on the radio. I never put the top down since the last time they said it was fixed. They said they put a leak fix kit in. Well they need to go back to the drawing board, its just as bad as ever.
  • Anyone ever add an aftermarket cruise control on an 07 wrangler?
  • butchbutch Posts: 2
    We have a 08 Jeep Wrangler with Freedom Tops that leak. Its been in the dealers shop twice for the leaks. The first time they replaced seals and the tops, the second time they replaced the new seals. And said I may have been putting them on wrong. No problem, I was schooled at the dealership (remedial top installation) and went about my merry way the following week after a heavy rain the leaks are back, we have frost in the floor and the tops haven't been removed (so much for schooling). Are there any solutions out there?