Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback vs Ford Freestyle

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Sort of funny that when someone makes a comment and then you ask a question, they never respond back. I guess you can tell the folks that are interested in a discussion and those that aren't.
  • And the ride is not overly damped; one can feel the road.

I agree. While it doesn't drive like a sports car, neither does it drive like a Lincoln Town Car.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    "Sort of funny that when someone makes a comment and then you ask a question, they never respond back. I guess you can tell the folks that are interested in a discussion and those that aren't. "

Sorry, I've been away the past 4 days helping raise money by doing a charity drive with 40 other Subaru owners all over the NY/NJ/PA/VT area. I will respond to your question, so get your panties out of a bunch!

-mike
    I wear boxers.
    Actually, a more comparable car to compare the Outback against might be the Ford Focus Wagon. Even though it's 10" shorter, the Focus Wagon has more rear legroom and a larger cargo area. It gets a lot better MPG and is cheaper, so if you don't need AWD, then it might be something to consider if you're looking for a 5 passenger wagon.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Well, Focus is closer to the Legacy wagon, i.e. non-Outbacks.

I just wish they'd update it. How old is that design? 8 years now? At least they're cheap.

-juice
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    my buddy here at work was in that charity drive last weekend. You guys did a real good thing. I saw some pictures he sent. the roads didn't look to be that bad considering some of the pictures i saw of past events. I'd like to join him next year but i don't think my wife's forester can keep up. Good on ya.

Regards,
    Kyle
    I'm sure her forester would be fine. We didn't really go fast at all. There were several Foresters, even an old 2.5RS and a 1 wheel drive Scion!

-mike
    what car were you driving? i saw mostly WRX's, outbacks and Legacy GT's.

Regards,
    Kyle
    The support vehicle Armada. Worked out well as we had to tow one of the STi out of the Pine Barrens after a part of the shifter linkage broke.

-mike
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    For all of you that brag about the reliability of the Toyotas and Honda's.
    Toyota just announced a 1/2 million vehicle recall.
    It happens to the best of them .

Mike K happy with his 06 outback.
    My friend here at work (Rob, 2003 silver WRX)) mentioned that. Wasn't it a Hi-Po STi? Some monster work under that hood as i understand it. I'm also trying to talk the wife into a quick 3 day state tour of New York, VT and new jersey. We'll see how that goes. Thanks anyway for your input.

Regards,
    Kyle
    Nice, yeah it was an STi with a $9k trans in it. Of course the part that broke was I believe one of the only parts not replaced, it was a cast part from the original trans.

-mike
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I would have to agree. When I was in the market for a AWD sport wagon, I looked at both the OB and the AWD FS. I thought the FS handles great, had plenty of room and as the dealer knocked 8K off the MSRP, I went with the FS. I also opted for the extended warranty ($1000) as I thought Fords basic warranty was not adequate for a first year model vehicle (2005 AWD SEL). My only gripes are the so called automatic climate control (I prefer the simpler dials) and the exterior radio antenna (most others integrate into the window or use power antennas). After one year and 12k miles, no problems at all. So far, so good.
  • nickelnickel Posts: 147
    How much was it?
  • Freestyle almost always beats Outback/Legacy on price by thousands. Sounds like rick2456's Freestyle was loaded. I got an '05 SE 2WD Freestyle model new 1.5 years ago with side curtain airbags the only option for $22,300, which was below invoice a couple of hundred bucks.
    FWD /= AWD, so that's apples to oranges.

AWD has a market value of about $1750 or so, depending on the type of system.

Any how, the Ford Five Hundred is getting the 3.5l engine, does that mean the Freestyle gets the same upgrade for the 08 models? Does it also get a face-lift like the sedan did?

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,499
    I thought Freestyle was being discontinued... or is that just myth?
    One was in front of me at the car wash on Saturday. That thing is huge compared to the Outback. Definitely not something one should cross-shop. That could be crossshopped with non-extended mini-vans or the pilot!

-mike
  • How did you get that idea?
    Thought I read it on an automotive web log somewhere, but it is just a flicker in my memory. It primarily addressed the Edge crossover.
    Ford waffled, waffled, and waffled on that decision. I recall reading the same thing, but they saved it at the last minute.

I predict the 3.5l engine will help sales, I bet they go up a good 20% or so.

To me the FS with the 3.5l makes a lot more sense than the Edge. Much more room and it's actually lighter, go figure.

-juice
    To me the FS with the 3.5l makes a lot more sense than the Edge. Much more room and it's actually lighter, go figure.

I came to the same conclusion. At first glance, I thought the Edge had quite a bit of potential as it was a "smaller" car and seemed more in line with my needs. But, the more I read on it, the less I liked it. The Mazda CX7 fell into that same hole. In the end, it did not matter at all because my wife did not consider anything other than Subaru. :P

The pair of big hang ups with the "possibles" list was the price range limitation and AWD (or 4WD, but AWD preferred). I ended up with a hodge-podge list of wagons (or wagon-ish vehicles, like the 4-door Jeep Wrangler) and mid-size CC pickups. I was actually leaning toward the pickup, but one of those "you are out of your gourd" looks from her was enough to silence me on it. I will just have to keep Ol' Yeller in service a while longer.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,796
    "I was actually leaning toward the pickup, but one of those "you are out of your gourd" looks from her was enough to silence me on it. I will just have to keep Ol' Yeller in service a while longer."

Did you consider the Honda Ridgeline?
    I almost hate to admit it since the Ridgeline is so terribly ugly, but yes, I did. :blush:
    Yeah, CX7 seemed very small, ruled it out early on. Some turbo lag, too.

Edge is too heavey. CX9 is actually closer to my ideal, but for some reason when I sat in one at the Auto Show, it just didn't do it for me. Hard to even explain why.

I'll have to take another look at one of those CX9s, though.

-juice
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    killed Freestar the minivan.

Krzys
    They finally mentioned the Freebie is getting the face-lift and the new engine in this week's edition.

-juice
  • nickelnickel Posts: 147
    According to Car and Driver, it'll be Taurus X (http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/12434/2008-ford-taurus-x.html).

I was wondering if the change of name affects a car resale value.
This discussion has been closed.