Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Towing Questions

13»

Comments

• cobcob Posts: 210
    Your vehicle has a max towing capacity of 5000#. You need the 5.4 engine with a 7 pin connector(for trailer brakes) in order to tow 8500#. You cannot tow a 26 ft camper with the setup you have.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 320
    Cob is spot on. GVWR is the total weight of the Expedition - vehicle plus occupants, luggage, etc not including the trailer. GCWR is the total weight of everything - Expedition, occupants, luggage, and the loaded trailer. GCWR = GVWR + loaded trailer.
  • kaelenbkaelenb Posts: 5
    Good advice. I had the same vehicle. I will say, the 4.6 is more capable than you think. You put a little 4x6 trailer behind it and you feel it, but you also put a flatbed with a car on it and it tires just as well. Get a 22 foot trailer with no slides and have fun. That should put you in a comfortable place to tow. I hope you have fun.
  • texas123texas123 Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Ford Exp with the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow package, Trailer Tow Class IV, and Trailer Sway Control. I plan to pull a 2 horse slant trailer that weighs 3,500 lbs empty and about 2,000 pound more with 2 horses inside. I have read the comments on this string (very helpful!), and the specs from Ford which indicate I should be able to pull 9,200 lbs. My question is, how do the brakes work? I have brakes on the horse trailer, and have the 7 pin hookup in my bumper. The truck I used to pull the trailer with, had a brake setting in the truck by the steering wheel. How do the brakes work with my Expedition with the trailer? And, do you see any issues with me pulling this trailer? Thanks so much in advance for your help!
  • texas123texas123 Posts: 2
    Okay, wanted to update my post above with the trailer info. My trailer plate states the following: GVWR is 7,000 GAWR is 3,500 front, and 3,500 rear. Does this mean my trailer weighs 7,000 lbs empty?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 36,569
    texas123 said:

Okay, wanted to update my post above with the trailer info. My trailer plate states the following: GVWR is 7,000 GAWR is 3,500 front, and 3,500 rear. Does this mean my trailer weighs 7,000 lbs empty?

I think that means the trailer plus cargo is restricted to 7000 lbs, with no more than 3500 lbs on one axle. (in other words, only 7000 lbs total, if it is perfectly distributed between the axles).

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 320
    You need to get an electric brake controller which is the thing you are describing from your previous tow vehicle. It will allow you to properly proportion the braking power between the trailer and the truck. Prodigy makes a good unit. 2013 and up a controller was integrated into the dash of the Expedition and comes with the tow package.
13»