Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country Tires and Wheels

2»

Comments

• jimeljimel Posts: 1
    I am sure everyone in this thread has already resolved their spare tire blues already, however I had the pleasure of being stranded today with my 1999 Town & Country.

I turned the crank so the cable went all the way down to the ground with no luck. Same as everyone else, the tire was still suspended with the safety latch engaged.

I got a 16 inch long flat head screw driver and cranked the cable back up so that there was only 2 inches of slack in it from the tire itself. I noticed that the safety latch was froze and rusted up. Crawling under the tire (with the van NOT jacked up yet) I pushed up on the tire with a knee and then hit the back of the release lever twice with a hammer on the screw driver, and the tire popped down the two inches of slack on the cable. The lever was tricky, there are two forks that hold the nylon bracket in place. The release side of the lever is a square piece of metal outside of where the nylon bracket is being held.

I am not sure how safe this was, but I was able to drive home and live to fight another day.
  • I haven't looked at a 2003 specifically, but on my 2000 Caravan, the spare was held in place by a spring-loaded latch. When you start cranking the nut that lowers the cable, the weight of the tire is supposed to cause the latch to open. The problem is that corrosion can easily cause the latch to freeze...which is not a fun thing to figure out when you are on the side of a road with a flat.
    It took me 15-20 minutes with my van up on ramps to free the latch. A flathead screwdriver, wire brush, some sandpaper and a bunch of lube got it working again. I've read on some other boards that people make this an annual thing to make sure the tire is accessible when needed.
  • harveyljharveylj Posts: 2
    So, my 2002 T&C is out in the parking lot with a flat tire and I get out of work at 11:00 PM. What's the best way to get the spare tire off? I'm having the same problem as Steve/salaryman.

Harv
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I had to buy new tires for my 2007 T&C LX last week. I had just taken the van in for its 60k servicing and thought I would need to replace the tires (OEM Goodyears) soon, so told the service writer not to rotate them. He told me later that day that the tires had some life in them, enough for another year or so. Great, I thought, and got them rotated. Two days later, I walked up to the van, parked in my driveway, and noticed a huge chunk missing from the driver's side front tire, and the rim was dented and wheel cover pushed in. I asked my wife what happened. She said she hit a pothole, but with the REAR tire. I said, no, it was the front tire. Then I went out and looked again. The rear tire had a big chunk out of it too. :cry:

I had to immediately go out of town for a week. I asked my wife to take it in Monday morning to the local tire shop. Fortunately I had checked on tires when I thought I'd need to buy some soon. I found the Falken Sincera SN-828 and it seemed to have good reviews for a reasonable price. That is what the tire shop put on. With lifetime replacement/road hazard warranty and lifetime free rotation and balancing, the total was a little over $300. I got to drive the van today on a 200 mile trip and I was impressed by the ride smoothness and low noise from these tires--much smoother than the Goodyears, although those tires had 60k miles on them.

P.S. My 2007 T&C does NOT have TPMS. But it is odd in other ways, also, e.g. it has DRLs and my understanding is that is not a standard feature on the 2007 T&C LX. I bought it a year ago with 50k miles on it. I am wondering if it was a fleet car, although it was in too good of shape (absolutely spotless, wear-free interior) for a rental IMO.
  • bigmac5bigmac5 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    2007 Chrysler town and country limited with stow and go seats spare tire is between the passenger and driver seats. Recently I was traveling in a lane of traffic when I came upon 3-5 inches of water in the lane. At about 25 miles per hour, I heard a loud bang on bottom of van. The next day I discovered the spare tire assembly and winch/cable assembly were missing. I think the water hitting the bottom of the van caused the tire to let down and snapped off in the water. Has anyone else had this problem. It is a $565 replacement fix.
  • harveyljharveylj Posts: 2
    My spare tire is still stuck! My only solution was to buy new tire and save one of the older ones as a spare. It is bungee corded to the back (bench type) seat and is a real pain when I want to remove the seats to use the back for transporting large items as I do not have stow and go. It also leaves very little room for groceries or other items behind the seat. :mad:
  • I have a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Limited with a Service Tire System Soon message that I have not been able to get rid of. The car was brought to Discount Tire where they told me I had two bad tire sensors. I had them replace the two bad sensors and the problem still is there. I thought they improperly reset the sensors until I watched him go around to each tire with the magnet and hearing the horn honk each time a tire checked in. I thought that was going to be the end of it, but the problem is still there. After a couple minutes of starting the car and driving, the message comes back. I was even shown the testing tool that was used to check the sensors. All four tested ok. They told me they did all they can do. Now I'm left with the prospect of spending $100 at the dealer to get a diagnostic. Any help would be appreciated.
2»