Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Exterior Problems

2»

Comments

• mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    Well, if you have a legitimate warranty claim and one dealer is refusing to honor it, then it's quite possible that another dealer could honor it.
  • butsie13butsie13 Posts: 7
    Well see thats the problem. Who considers what is a legitimate warranty clain. A 2004 vehicle with on 17,800 miles on it and kept under a canopy since purchase certainly should not have UV film peeling off of the headlamp already. I have a 2000 Hyundai and don't have that problem. But the dealer said its weather related and they will not cover warranty. So I have made an appointment with a Hyundai America Corp Dealer Rep and see what they have to say.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    There are a couple of things you could try. One would be to complain in writing to the owner of the dealership and cc your local state's consumer protection department or AG's office, and cc Hyundai corporate while you are at it.

If there's a TV or news reporter in your area that handles consumer complaints, that would be another option. The BBB is the other thing that comes to mind off-hand.
  • butsie13butsie13 Posts: 7
    Thank you Steve for that advice. I did stop in to see the Service Manager yesterday afternoon and asked to see the warranty in writing. Go figure, he gave me wrong information and it was written right there in black and white. Headlamp assemblies are covered 5/60000 miles. The only exceptions would be holes, cracks or body damage. Nothing about UV protection peeling off of the headlamp. Anyway, he goes to state that it is weather related and Hyundai will not honor the warranty. Now that is where I keep getting ping-ponged. Hyundai telling me that is up to the discretion of the dealership. UGHHHHHH!! I'm calling the General Manager today and tell him what has be going on and if he can not resolve the issue for me, I'm going to write a complaint letter. Wish me luck - I'm going to need it! ;)
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Here's something else for you - it's new here.

Click on this Find a Local Car Dealer link and drill down to your dealer.

Once there you'll find a link to write a review about their service.

Give them both barrels. :D
  • I have been driving my 07 SF for less than a month. On my fill-up yesterday, I noticed a big chip on the inside edge of the gas door.
    Brought it back to the dealer this morning to show them. Upon seeing it, they immediately said that it was caused by closing the door with the gas cap wedged in there and, therefore, not covered by warranty (hhhmmm, do they get this complaint a lot that they immediately know the cause of it?). I am the only one who fills up the tank and have been careful in removing and placing back the gas cap (after reading the issue of Check Engine light coming on). I do not recall any instance which would have caused this chip ( a strong wind, forgot to close, nozzle slipping/hitting door).
    The dealer's estimate to replace it is approx Cdn $150 (door + paint + installation). Good thing the 'damage' is not visible when the gas door is closed, So I will just live with it in the meantime.
    I just can't believe how easily this thing breaks. Looks like it is made of plastic. So be careful with this door. Treat it gently... Handle with care
  • lv2drvlv2drv Posts: 132
    Maybe someone was trying to steal gas. We've had that here in my city lately.
  • I thought of that too. But there are no marks outside to indicate that. And my fuel usage seems to be within reasonable range.

Not sure if this works... here are some pic:

http://www.carspace.com/pinoytoronto/Albums/Gas Door Chipped :-(/
  • davesuvdavesuv Posts: 149
    My guess is that it was cracked before you picked up your car, but the piece had not broken completely off at that time. I would talk to the manager of the dealership and try to nicely convince them that it was defective when you bought it. If the dealership is unwilling to replace it, I'd next contact Hyundai customer service and explain your story as you have here, including a link to your photos.

At the very least they should put a little touch up paint on it. I love your car color :D .

Dave
    2007 Santa Fe AWD Limited with Touring and Premium packages
    Dark Cherry Red with beige leather interior
  • pelican19pelican19 Posts: 323
    Off topic:

Did you purchase your Santa with the running boards or are they after market? If after market, can you tell me where you got them?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    Yeah, I'd like to know, too. They look great. Any info you can share would be great.
  • The running boards were installed by the dealer but they are Santa Fe accessories. The Hyundai Canada website prices them at Cdn$715.95... "Getting in and out of your vehicle is easy with a set of durable running boards."

Never really liked the tubular steps. I think they look good on the pre-07SF but not on the 07SF. My agent mentioned that the running boards are new for the 07SF and have just been out a couple of months when I ordered my SF in May 07.

Glad I had it installed because so far, I have not really seen any aftermarket equivalent of it (at least, nothing that looks like this). Makes entry and exit a lot easier and cleaning the roof more manageable :)
  • wendolinewendoline Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe and I'm having a problem with my interior facia board rubber going soft and tacky, it leaves finger prints in it when I touch it. I had the car detailed last week and now black rubber is coming off it and onto my hands, it seems to be getting worse. Is anyone having the same problem? and Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix or maybe seal the dash facia board rubber? :cry:
  • gabejogabejo Posts: 5
    It would seem the detailers used some sort of cleaner which interacted with the rubber, especially if it wasn't a problem before you had it detailed. If it was done at a dealership etc. or other company with a customer service department, take it back and see what they can do to fix it.
  • Thanks for your comments, the rubber has now dried and is no longer giving off rubber marks all over us. But when I inspected the rubber more closely it seems like the top layer is the problem and the rubber under neath is still hard and in tact.

I spoke to another Santa Fe owner and she informed me that her's has the same problem. It baffles us as we were both told that the sun causes it but we both garage our Santa Fe's and don't leave them in the weather. I'm guessing if I can find something to bring off the top layer and then seal the bottom layer than it will fix the problem for the future.
  • could a leak in the exhaust flex pipe be causing this sensor code?
2»