Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Service Engine Soon / ABS / Trac Off

Comments

• hi dsudelta. I had the very same problems you describe on my 2000 grand am gt. The smell of fuel was especially concerning to me. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. It was a cheap and easy fix to boot. IOf you have any questions on how to fix this feel free to email me ###sniper04@gmail.com&*%^^%. ttake out the funky characters.
  • big3carsbig3cars Posts: 1
    My son has a 2002 GrandAm 2.2 that is driving me crazy and broke.

Early this year it the Service Engine Soon (SES) came on and I took it to my local service station. P0300 was the code for which they replaced the ignition control module, ignition coil pack, and plugs. total bill $667.

The SES light was off for three days then came back on with a P0130 code. Went back to the service station and they want to replace the exhaust manifold and converter for $1039. I said no and brought the car back to my garage and parked it for a couple of months and sent my son off to school without his car while I thought this over.

I heard an autozone commerical for OBD II testing and took the car there which threw a P0130 code that related to the first O2 sensor in the exhaust stream. For $150 for the O2 and special tool I replaced that and after 10 miles the SES light went off. Hurray... four days later the SES light is glowing again.

All the above brings me to today... I took the car to Autozone again and now its throwing P0130 and P0141.

The SES light it making me crazy and I'd like to know if someone can make sense out of this for me. The car itself runs well and has 86K miles on it so it's not a high mileage car.

Drop a line if you have an idea of what this could be... I have put alot of $ into this car since owning it and am trying to stick with American made cars but it's times like this that makes it difficult. Your help would be appreciated
  • gmccabegmccabe Posts: 1
    got a 95 grand am in a basket . the car is coming along beutifully,except the abs light always staring at us and the rear brakes locking up.does anyone have the procedure to bleed the complete ABS ?
  • tobijs87tobijs87 Posts: 2
    this is a really common problem with early grand ams (before 99) and with cavaliers, sunfires, etc. it isnt a matter of just bleeding the brakes, the reason your light is on and your back brakes lock up is because your abs motor pack has gone bad, these are not incredibly cheap, usually about 200 for the part and then the shop bill if you cant do it yourself, I had this same exact problem with my girlfriends 97 cavalier. Good Luck!
  • tobijs87tobijs87 Posts: 2
    To all of you with these lights on, this is because of your wheel speed sensor wiring, the only thing about that though is that you cant just replace the wires, the wires are sealed in the hub assembly, so you have to replace the entire hub assembly. This is a major issue with grand ams, if you keep your car for a while you WILL have this problem again. I have had a 2001 grand am for 4 years now it now has 165,000 on it and i have had to replace the hub assemblies twice and need to again! These hubs usually last about 60,000 to 90,000 miles, depending on whther you buy the cheapos and how you drive your car.
  • My TRAC OFF light has come on and when it does I get hard shifts. It has come on a few times now and if I turn the car off and on again it goes away. Today though the service engine soon light came on with it. I have noticed a lot of you have had this problem. I am hoping someone can tell me what the problem is and the what they had done to fix it. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • pgpk2000pgpk2000 Posts: 1
    Hi I am new to this site and I have a Grand Am 99. If any body can tell me why the Engine not runing in slow runing? It is very hard when it comes to traffic, I have to keep my both foots in breaks and the accselartor so that I can keep the engine in a high runing mode. I am out of U.S living in Qatar, and there aren't lots of cars like this in this part of the world so help me.
  • azamor2azamor2 Posts: 1
    Have you found a solution to your problem? I am having the exact same problem but my Engine light has not yet come on. Like yours, it is an intermittent issue and it shifts hard, most noticeably from 1st to 2nd gear. If you have found a solution, would you mind emailing? Thank you. Alex.
  • im having this problem for the third time. Im brining my car into Lannan Chevrolet in woburn, MA today. I will post the diagnostic later today.
  • tbendertbender Posts: 1
    I have taken my 04 Grandam to the dealership because all these lights come on every now and then. There is no consistency in when the come on. I go for a long time and then one day the pop on and are a problem for a day or two. Then we are right back where we started. They say the problem is in the right wheel but they cannont distinguish if it in the HUB or the Harness. They say it is ok to drive until the light stays on consitently so they can tell which one it is. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • I have a 2000 Grand Am SE 2.4 with 152,000 miles
    I have loved this car, taken great care of it and had it since 63,000 miles with no major issues.
    Last week my "Service Engine" light came on. The next day my Fuel Pump went out. I had to have my car towed to the shop where they took off my fuel tank and replaced my fuel pump and filter.
    When I got back into the car the "Trac Off" light was on along with the Service Engine light. It was diagnosed that the vacum hose had a leak in the EGR system and that there we :cry: re misfires (probably from trying to start the car after the pump went out).
    Anyways he mechanic put these lights out and now today, 5 days later, all lights are back on. The Service Engine was first with no noticeable problems when driving then this morning I turned on my car and ABS, Service Vehicle, and Trac Off Lights were all on.
    Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Could it be from towing or a wire coming loose from the repair??!? please help
  • I'm an electronics engineer with lots of automotive experience and the connections are usually pretty reliable, but it would be pretty easy for a mechanic to check for broken or pulled wires. (my car is a 2003 Grand AM GT) The wheel speed sensors for Grand Am's are poorly sealed from water. At less than 60K both of my front wheel sensors failed, and now at 64,000 miles, the rears are going bad and causing the same ABS and Trac Off lights to come on. Mine are failing with a bad internal connection, so the lights come and go. A $300 ABS code reader is needed to diagnose brake problems. It is important to get fixed as your ABS will not work while these sensors are bad.
  • I'm an electronics engineer with lots of automotive experience and the harness connections are usually pretty reliable, but it would be pretty easy for a mechanic to check for broken or pulled wires. (my car is a 2003 Grand AM GT) The wheel speed sensors for Grand Am's are poorly sealed from water. At less than 60K both of my front wheel sensors failed, and now at 64,000 miles, the rears are going bad and causing the same ABS and Trac Off lights to come on. Mine are failing with a bad internal connection, so the lights come and go. A $300 ABS code reader is needed to diagnose brake problems. It is important to get fixed as your ABS will not work while these sensors are bad.
  • Less than a week ago my service engine soon light came on in my 2000 Grand Am SE. It was running fine, but I still brought it in and the diagnostics said that it was my evaporation emission system (something like that...). The mechanic said it was "out of wack" and it just needed to be reset. He did this and my light went off. Now today (less than a week later) my service engine soon, abs,and trac off lights came on. My car is still running fine. I am in a carpool and the lights came on right as we were about to leave from our meeting spot, so someone else drove. When turning my car on to come home, I noticed the lights were off. I am not sure if my last week occurrence is linked to this someway, or if they are just a coincidence. I just got 4 new tires 2 weeks ago and am not sure if that is linked somehow as well? Ever since I got new tires my car drives like it is windy outside (even though most of the time there is no wind at all). I am a very paranoid person, so this part may be nothing at all (or maybe even my imagination...not sure.). I am a 22 year old who doesn't know anything about cars. Is is even safe to drive?!? I drive an hour to my teaching job everyday and do not want to drive it if there is a chance it might brake down or anything.
  • I am a 56 year old who's father would only let him drive if I did maintenance on the car, and in 1968 cars did need more work than today. I am an electronics engineer so I will give you my non-professional mechanic but "experienced father" advice.

The squirmy-ness may because of the tires having more tread, they could be under inflated, and the worst case would be that they were not installed or were not torqued correctly. Do take the car back to where you got the tires as soon as and as carefully as you can. Sometimes tire cords get damaged during installation and you may need to demand a new tire. Have them double check the installation and then you take them for a test ride before leaving to make sure your car drives as before.

I can also tell you from first hand experience that Grand AMs have poorly sealed wheel bearings. When water gets in, the wires for the ABS sensors fail and sometimes un-fail so the lights come and go. This is also a serious problem because your ABS will not work when the lights are ON. You need to go to a service garage with a "Brake System" scanner to determine which wheel or wheels are the problem. I just bought new front bearings for my 2003 GT for about $100 each and you may be able to get installation for $50 to $70.

And one last piece of advice that I have given to my three grown daughters - If you are a female, take a male friend with you. All of the professional mechanics that I know are sexist pigs - rude but true.
  • I only recently saw your request and hopefully you have found a fix for your car not idleing. If not, here are some suggestions: Have a mechanic or maybe yourself, check for vacuum leaks. Too much air (not enough fuel) will cause a gas engine to stumble and stall out. It could be as simple as a pulled-off hose or as serious as a cracked intake manifold gasket.
    Ask a friend to keep the car at fast idle, and you may be able to hear the leak - it will "hiss" like a snake. Except for the fuel injection system, this engine is very similar to engines made for the last 40 years. I would suggest finding a mechanic familiar with gasoline powered cars (engines). An experience diesel mechanic may not know what vacuum is - diesels don't generate it.
  • the wheel bearing are shot replace them but dont get them from napa or you will be changing them again in a week
  • my service engine light comes on .. i just changed my oil . it a 99 grand am . at first it the light says low track .. now and then it will say off track .. i dont know what that means it automatic ..
  • 2001 Grand Am SE, 3.4L. These 3 lights come up on my dash, no codes in computer, not pulsing/pulling when I brake and the first 2 do not come up if I ti=urn the trac control off when I start the car. Is my ABS connection loose at the hub? I just had them both changed last May and June of 09
  • opaljopalj Posts: 1
    i have all three lights that come on my pontiac grandam 2000 ,abs,trac off and service engine lights that come on and stay on does anyone know what the problem might be?