Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am Service Engine Soon / ABS / Trac Off

Comments

• I have a 2001 Gran AM 4 cylinder, rough idle rough driving up hill, parked and stopped in drive with Service Engine Light and Trac off, I had just replaced the spark plug wires it ran smooth for a while but started up again, I replaced the wireset and runs like a champ now. No more track off light or Service Engine Light. I also did an oil change. I have taken off the battery and waited 10 minutes, I was told by an "EXPERT" this will not reset the computer.
  • Here is a great tip i learned to get rid of those bling on the dash!! Turn car to "run" position but do not start it. Just turn key position to run then hit accelerator hard to the floor three times. I know sounds crazy but hey it works!!
    After you do this start it up and the bling (lights) should be gone.
  • Hey my 99 grandam is doing the exact same thing... it is a misfire.. check the spark plugs and coils if thats not it get it into a garage asap or you are going to blow your engine
  • I own a 1999 pontiac grand am.Both the ABS and BRAKE lights are on. they came on after my friend pulled the e-brake on my car and swung it into a snow bank. ever since that niether of the lights have gone off. im just wondering what to try, ive check the fluid, the fuse and the e-brake handle is all the way down. i am positive that my abs dont, however my e-brake does work. PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • try adding tranmission fluid, seeing you dont have a dipstick that is the way of telling you you need some fluid. hope this helps
  • whastingswhastings Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Am was doing the same thing. We took it to the dealership we bought it from and they said it was a flex pipe in the exhaust and replaced it and a valve. No more surging!
  • unknown01unknown01 Posts: 1
    It seems like many of these cars are having these problems. I own a 2003 pontiac grand am gt and my ABS, Service Vehicle Soon, and Trac Off lights are on after minutes of turning on my vehicle and driving. What the heck is going on?
  • ABS and brake lights could just be a lose wire. mine did it looked for help n found it was just a loose wire in front end by tire...fixed it light didnt come back on for a few months wire was loose again. try that
  • trac lights as well loose wire get under there n check it out. mine dont always come on right when i trun the car on most time once i get up the road a bit, but like i said it was just a loose wire so deff give that a look.
  • enigmajcenigmajc Posts: 11
    I also had the ABS, Service Vehicle Soon, and Trac Off lights on my 2004 Grand Am GT about 4 yrs ago. It was both a wheel sensor harness and hub bearing that had to be replaced. :(
  • How much did you pay to fix wheel sensor harness and hub bearing that had to be replaced? Did you have work done at Gm dealer? Thank you in advance for your help.
  • I am having the same problem with my 04 grand am gt, all 3 of these lights come on either when i turn the car on, or very shortly after. Im also experiencing, that before the lights come on, if they havent already when i started the car, that when i step on the break, it feels like the ABS is locking up and kind of pushing back on the pedal and vibrating the break pedal...... ive scanned some of the posts here and havent seen anyone post that problem with the lights.... any help?
  • I noticed someone else asked you how much this repair cost. Can you please answer this question! I also need this done....thanks
  • cruz3cruz3 Posts: 1
    I try the fluid but it wasn't that
  • jacobbigshowjacobbigshow Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2005 Grand AM with 105,000 miles, had the Off Trac, Check Engine and ABS light as well and a smell of gasoline, brought it into Strauss charged me $500+ for a tune up could not find a problem. 2 weeks later same problem, what should I do?
  • Happy New Year,

Is "Strauss" a GM Dealership? If so, we are available to follow up on this with you, if you like. Please send us an email with more information, including: your name/username, contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN, current mileage (I realize you posted it here, but at times it can be difficult to connect emails to posts on Edmunds) and the name of your dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • No Strauss is an auto store like PetBoys not related to GM.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Can't speculate about the gas smell, but the other warnings all coming on at the same time usually means that a wheel sensor is bad, dirty, or somehow damaged. Each wheel has sensor behind it as part of the ABS system.
  • Is that an easy thing to check yourself? Or do I need to bring it into a dealer as I figured out when I turn left the warning lights come on, right never.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I really can't say without knowing more about your ability and experience. If it's happening only when you turn then it may be a bad wheel hub. Excessive play in the hub can cause the sensor to lose contact with the stator (the sensor is fixed, the stator turns with the axle).
  • i had this happen also. snow packed up in the cv axle and froze to the abs wire. so when i drove off the next morning the wires were basically stuck to the axle so the tore in two. easy fix the only two wires running to ur front brakes just wire nut them back together and zip tie them back like they were before
  • i have a 2000 se 2.4 liter making the same noise i replaced the left wheel bearing the left cv axle and lower ball joint none of which has fixed the problem if you have any info you can give me it would be greatly appreciated
  • calgarycrittercalgarycritter Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    I also have had this problem, when my dash says " service engine soon,ABS and Trac off " it is the wheel hub/ABS sensor which are all in one, am in the process of replacing the right side, at a shop it will cost be just over $500 and I own a 2001 Grand Am SE. For some reason the wires will crack/break. I replaced both 4 years ago and am now doing it again. must find some sort of protection for the connection

:shades:
  • My 2000 Grand Am SE. did the same thing...the ABS and Trac off lights came on, and thanks to other replies, I figured out that it was a vacume leak. A four inch long, 1/4 inch ID Vaccume hose was dry rotted and was causing my car to stall out when idling. As long as I kept my foot on the gas it was fine, but I couldn't keep doing that, so I bought a hose, and it fixed the whole problem. Crazy!! One little hose caused all of that. Anyway, I hope that I helped! good luck
  • Got the hub done, but still have " service engine soon " light, found out it's my Daytimes, anyone know where the sensor is :cry: ? Figured out, turn on headlights before putting in gear stops the light from coming on but if I don't turn them on first once I put it into gear then the dash light comes on
  • maalimaali Posts: 1
    i have a grand am gt i rember it was raning i was trying to do a brinout and it started to slip but the tires were not moveing what do you think is is
  • I have an 01 GA, trac would turn off, ABS lights on, service engine light on,, turned out to be a defective speed sensor ( in the hub ) it was spiking intermittently causing an alert to the computer
  • you do realize you have a rev limitor,, mine ( have an 01 GA ) is set at 170 k,,am in the process of finding a programmer to change the limit level but it is prob what's causing the wheels not turning whilst trying to do a burn out GA's can be finicky but I love mine
  • flynfastflynfast Posts: 1
    I am having nearly the same problem and have tracked it down to the ABS wiring harness. Does anyone know of any step-by-step directions to replace this part and a corresponding wiring diagram? Also, do I have to replace the hub to do this job?
  • I have been having ABS/TRAC OFF prob for a while. Each time I get it check turns out the wheel sensor is malfunctioning. I am now on hub number 4 in 13 months ( costs approx $500 CAD each time) and it's happening again. Not aftermarket parts, straight from GM, wish they made parts that would last. The sensor is inside the hub so must change the entire hub each time