Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Electrical Problems

Comments

• Hello, did you ever figure out what the issue is? I've just started getting the same issue with an '02 Taurus.
  • I had the same problem with a 2001 Taurus. At first I thought the door wasn't closing right. It turned out to be a bad electrical connection. The (very good) mechanic checked the circuits carried inbto the door within the flexible wiring harness between the door and the body. This takes a lot of beating with use. He said the "ground" wire was broken, loose, or detached (I forget exactly). He re-attached it. Problem solved, cheap, no replacement parts, just good detective work.
  • I had the same problem with a 2001 Taurus. At first I thought the door wasn't closing right. It turned out to be a bad electrical connection. The (very good) mechanic checked the circuits carried inbto the door within the flexible wiring harness between the door and the body. This takes a lot of beating with use. He said the "ground" wire was broken, loose, or detached (I forget exactly). He re-attached it. Problem solved, cheap, no replacement parts, just good detective work.
  • Sorry, airbear, misplaced my reply to another problem (windows). No clue.
  • I also have a 2003 Ford Taurus and noticed that it was taking a long time for the side mirror lights to turn off. I timed it and they seem to turn off after about 30 minutes. Haven't been able to determine if there is a way to adjust the duration or if this is simply how it is designed. Would appreciate any suggestion...
  • my 95 ford taurus like to die when you keep the gas at a steady pace. The engine light comes on and sometimes it wont start back up. does anyone know what the problem maybe? :confuse:
  • bzawbzaw Posts: 2
    I have a 96 sable that recently started losing the radio, window power and power steering (only things that are noticable) while in reverse only. All other gears everything works fine. In reverse, the headlights, dash lights, and everything else appears to be fine. When shifting from park into drive, it will lose the above things and then the seatbelt light comes and goes off (no other warning lights on the dash only the seatbelt) on once you get it into drive or back into park.

The battery was recently replaced as was the cam sensor and idler pulley.

Ideas?
  • i to have this same issue now for 3 years. the car has been to the dealer numerus times with no fix, many parts just trown at it. last summer i put a new battery in and the problem went away till this winter when i used the heater, was there ever a fix for you?
  • bzawbzaw Posts: 2
    For me it was a transmission range sensor or neutral safety switch (it's a sensor that sits on top of the transmission that regulates how the car goes into gear and has the gear arm attached to it). A fairly easy fix (took bf and I about a half hour). It is listed as a service bulletin by Ford for '96 Taurus/Sables I don't know if the newer ones have the same issues.
  • this would cause my car to act like it was shuting off cause dash lights to come on for a split second, then goes on its way. only happens when the blower is on high.

While driving on the highway and running either A/C or heater at max fan with Radio on, the car engine will die or stall violently jerking the car with all warning lights on and then continue OK. This happens at random but semi-frequent intervals. The more electronics I turn off, the less it happens but it happens all the same. No error codes or engine lights are displayed after the fact. (In one instance, it also seemed to make the AC over heat.) The radio will also turn on and off and automatically change volume as a forewarning to the sudden stall on the highway. (It has also stalled and died under similar conditions at slow speeds.) (Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.)
  • the gremlins are gone. it was the transmission range sensor. i have been with out any problems for 5 days. this rocks
  • I'm working on an 02 Taurus, the problem is, when it's cold, the first start of the day, turn the key and I get no warning lights on the dash and it will not crank. If I leave the key in on position for one or two minutes all the lights come on, I hear a clicking noise, and the car starts and runs fine till it sets overnight again. Temp has to be 30 or lower. I've already changed the trans selector switch and the electrical ignition switch.
  • carl323carl323 Posts: 2
    had this problem a couple of months ago,inside lights are comeing on when car is shut off,, Ill sit in the car and wait a minute and ill hear a click in the back left rear and the interior light come on ,,,Then wait a minute and they shut off ..another they come back on ..I thought it was in the steering columm or ignition,, I replaced ignition to no avail ,,,replaced the whole steering columm,,was good till tonite..went to go for ride in another car looked over and saw the lights on the problems back..I beleive its some sensor but where do I look ?The clicking sounds like its back by the wheel well..Can anybody help me?
  • stryker3stryker3 Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Taurus 24 valve V-6 4-door sedan with approx. 112,000 miles. Lately, when the ignition is turned off the air pump, located below the battery tray, remains on until the battery is completely drained. The car runs fine and there are no warning lights. Any idea what the cause could be and how to fix it? The part number on the pump is F5DE-9A486-DB.
    Thanks - MJB315
  • phjohnsophjohnso Posts: 1
    short story. 1999 sable had a battery drain caused by fuse 22 and the battery saver relay. Power drivers mirror was sideswiped and ripped off the car and was replaced by a cheap imitation. There was a bent pin in the mirror connection shorting out the circuit and cause the battery saver relay to never work causeing the battery to drain down over a week. After that the battery would be charged with a charger and the car would work for another week.

Prior to this I bought a new battery at wmart and things seemed fine until the battery died for the first time. Well it has been about a month and the battery drain was fixed this weekend and this morning the car was dead and would not start click, or anything (no light in the car either. The batter was charged up fully 24 hours ago.

If I jump the car the car starts right up but when I remove the jumper cables the car shuts off. Tried this 3 times with the same result. While the car was running the battery light in the dash was flickering. I am surmising 2 things at this point. Defective battery or bad altenator or both. I was going to pull the altenator this weekend ans have it tested but id did not have a long enough handled wrench to release the belt tensioner so I could get the altenator off.

What sort of wrench do you use for this belt tensioner, i know it is 15 MM but you can not fit a socket on it because there is no clearance.

I am thinking bad battery at this point because of the number of full drains and charges I have had to give it.

Thoughts??? AIM tbirdpj
  • dew188dew188 Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
    Thanks
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Posts: 151
    A friend of mine recently asked me to take a look at his wife's 2001 Taurus. All I know is that when they try to start it, it cranks but just won't start. Then maybe the next day it will(I should have asked him if it KEEPS running). The way he talks it sounds like there may be a loose connection somewhere. I asked him if the engine light is on of if it has been, but he said no. He said it is a 6 cyl engine, I don't know what size it is. Reading some of the replies here, I'm wondering if that "mega-fuse" is what might be causing his problem or if he just may need a good tune-up. When I do get to take a look at it, I'll check all connections from the battery, alt and starter, things like that. He said the trans went out about 3 or 4 years ago, but that was the only real trouble they had with the car until now. I will appreciate all suggestions anyone might have on this. Thanks!
  • avneetavneet Posts: 3
    I am having a strange problem with my car. It smetimes starts ad sometimes doesnot. When i turn the key 3/4(dont crank) the lights come on and a noise come (i guess the fuel pump), the car starts.If this fuel pump noise doesnot come, the car starts momentarily and the then shuts off. After 4-5 attempts its just cranks and doesnot start. It doesnot give any problems after it has started. No other problems at all. I got the fuel pressure from the fuel pump checked by attaching the pressure meter and it was fine. Can anybody please help
  • I recently installed a new starter. Car ran fine for about 2 weeks then stopped. Checked all wire connections and one wire came loose. Re-connected and ran fine for about another week. Now won't start. When turning over it just clicks. Checked all connections again and they seem solid. Any help in some troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • lildavidjaxlildavidjax Posts: 67
    Enough said above, trying to help a friend. Hazard lights don't work, neither do the turn signals. but can't seem to locate the flasher/hazard relay. :shades: