Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Brake Problems

pollittpollitt Posts: 1
My 1997 Explorer exhibits sluggish braking for the fist couple of stops when cold. The truck has new Motorcraft pads on all 4 wheels. Zero fluid leaks, good rotors, what could the problem be.

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Is it hard to push the pedal down when it's cold? It could be your vacuum booster is getting old and brittle, and may need replacing.
  • chriss676chriss676 Posts: 1
    I replaced my front brakes on a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT including rotors. Now when I come to a stop the brake pedal feels like its grinding or vibrating. I took it all apart and checked to see if there was something loose but nothing found. Did I miss something or is there a trick to correcting this problem?
  • zevorukozevoruko Posts: 9
    Just for info, I have a 2001 Exp Sport with only 40 000 miles and I had to change all pads and rectify discs with a mechanic.

What is amazing is that they detected the brake booster was also i bad shape and I had to change it... maybe you should look into that as a problem.

Did you change the fluid and clean the brake lines?

Good luck
  • About 6 months ago I replaced my rear rotors and pads (front and rear) on my 2000 Ford Explorer XLT as I was hearing some brake squealing. Firestone wanted a lot more money than what I was willing to pay to do the brakes both front and rear. Now my rear brakes are beginning to squeal again, especially when backing out of my driveway. Any idea's on what may still be causing squealing? Emergency Brake?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    When you replaced the rear rotors and pads, what had been causing the squealing in the first place? Brake pads were worn down to metal to metal? One side or both sides? What was the condition of the parking brake shoes?
  • MY 1996 EXPLORER IS 55K MILES ONLY. THE ABS LIGHT IS ON AND OFF FREQUENTLY. FIRST DIAGNOSTIC WAS REPLACE ABS COMPUTER, WITH NO RESULTS. ORIGINAL ABS COMPUTER WAS INSTALLED AGAIN AND NOW THE DIAGNOSTIC IS HYDRAULIC VALVES NEED REPLACEMENT. ANY OTHER IDEA TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM?

I HAVE SPENT GOOD MONEY WITH THE FIRST ERRONEOUS DIAGNOSTIC AND HAVE DOUBTS OF THE 2ND. ONE. THANKS.
  • I have Explorer model 2006, which is very soft and easy to drive. Exept for the brakes which need a heavy foot. My mechanic found no problem with the brakes.
    Is it a known problem with Explorers?
  • wgmjiwgmji Posts: 1
    I have the same problem ,only when this is happening my wheel is being pulled slightly to the right.I have had 2 brake inspections in the pass week and no one could find anything wrong.it might just be the cold weather,that is what i'll tell myself until I get a definitive answer.
  • I was backing into a parking lot today and as my 07 Explorer got closer and closer to the vehicle right next to us, I pushed the brake, nothing happened, and I tried harder again and still nothing. My mind immediately switched to the other pedal and my Explorer drove right into the other vehicle. My friends and family in the vehicle all felt weird that the vehicle did not stop. But as I tested the brake after the accident, the brake was totally normal to me. :mad: :confuse:

Anyone had any similar experience? I am so frustrated now, I will take this vehicle to a brake- check tomorrow.
  • How do you adjust the emergency brake on a 2004 Explorer?
  • ibusemibusem Posts: 5
    Last year purchased 2003 Ford explorer, dealer replaced rear brakes prior to accepting vehicle. I have never been able to use the parking brake and would like to know is this an adjustment that possibly was made incorrectly and that I could take care of myself.
    Have you every gotten an answer to your question about the parking brake or is this a waste of time as I have the same problem
    I purchased a ford explorer Dealer adjuster brakes have no parking brake would like to know how to adjust parking brake
    I still did not get a answer to my question on how to adjust a parking brake on a 2003 Explorer xlt THANK YOU. ibusem1
  • bennyj2bennyj2 Posts: 2
    Same problem on my 2003. Replaced front and rear rotors, pads and parking brake shoes. All preninum parts, ceramic pads. Rear shoes started squeeking after 6 months. Upon examination I found cracks in front pads and sharp edges on rear pads. Replaced with less expensive pads, same breaking response but no squeek. Also be cautious. On my 2002 and 2003 Explorer, parking brake shoes become delaminated. Shoe comes apart from base.
  • Had accident with 2002 explorer.Skid mark on dry pavement was 8.4 feet.Question is how fast was the explorer going ?
  • diamonds1diamonds1 Posts: 7
    rear rotar seems to be rusted on my 1996 ford explorer any suggestions how to remove it, already removed caliper ect
  • chris4973chris4973 Posts: 2
    Had same problem with my brothers explorer due to rust also. spray wd-40 around all studs outer side and inner. let stand for about 15 minutes and then use a small block of wood and a good size hammer/handheld 4lb sledgehammer and tap from the backside of the rotor towards you moving the wood around the rotor about 2 inches at a time and it should start walking off the studs. if you have a new rotor and dont intent on getting the old one resurfaced then dont worry about the wood block, just give it a few hard blows and it will walk right off. good luck and hope this helped.
  • i HAVE PLENTY OF PRESSURE IN MY BRAKES WHEN THE TRUCK IS OFF. WHEN I START THE TRUCK AND PUSH DOWN ON THE PEDALS, THERE IS NO PRESURE. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
  • bigcufanbigcufan Posts: 1
    The brake pedal on my 2003 Ford Explorer makes a really loud squeak each time the pedal is depressed and released?
  • When I press the brake pedal, it often has a popping sound or kind of like a rubber gasket somewhere that needs some type of spray applied to make it stop making a noise but I don't know how to get to where the noise is coming from. Has anyone else noticed this problem on a 2001 Sport Trac?
  • sufferin1sufferin1 Posts: 1
    07 Explorer (lease). 20k on it. Frt. brakes pulse. My question is; the frt. rotors, do they pop right off after I remove caliper or do I need to disassemble hub assy as well? :confuse:
  • I just experience an brake line failure. Right rear. 75K miles on the vehicle. It wasn't a line rupture. No signs of overpressurization (bulges). The tube broke at the joint where the tubing meets the connecting tab to the brake cylinder. I don't remember hitting any chuck hole. ( I'm thinking the rubber tubing is for wheel travel)

Has anybody experience similar problem or there might be a service bulletin on this?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I just rented an Explorer for a week from Hertz, and I'm concerned about the brake performance. The brake pedal is firm, but the braking distances and required pedal pressure are much greater than I'm used to. (My daily driver is a Lexus RX350) Is this normal?
  • My 2002 ford explorer sport trac abs brakes pulsate below 5 mph everytime I stop. Any ideas?
  • julmarojulmaro Posts: 1
    That is caused by a dry rubber boot around the brake shaft. It is located in the firewall and under the steering wheel. An occasional spray of silicone or w40 will cure it.
  • swburbguyswburbguy Posts: 3
    I installed new brakes rotors and pads on the front brakes. I get chattering as i turn one way in reverse at a certain point ? what could be the problem? any ideas
  • 1snoopy1snoopy Posts: 1
    Dont ever go to Firestone repair for anything ever, unless u like getting hosed, hard.
  • i cannot solve this problem, just come to official service and dealer to repair and solve this probelm...

thanks
  • I have a 1998 Explorer that makes a Binding/Dragging sound in the front wheels only when turning, either moving forward or in reverse. This could be comming from one wheel or both, can't pinpoint.