Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SPORTS CARS OF THE '70s

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,617
    Thanks, Fin and Shifty. From what you are saying it looks like I ought to find one to drive and see if I like it.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,796
    You'll be impressed with how solid they are for convertibles.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,562
    edited April 2010
    "Most come with hardtops, which weigh about as much as the car itself and require two sturdy people to install"

So that's why I was always seeing these in car accessory catalogs:
    You'll be impressed with how solid they are for convertibles.

I recall reading that the first place to look for rust is behind the headlights, esp. at the top of the fender, Anyplace else?

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,683
    edited April 2010
    If it's anything like a fintail - which in a way I think it is - floors, rear fenders, and trunk. But, a lot of these cars have lived relatively sheltered lives, so they survive pretty well.

I know of someone who, a couple years back, bought a nice looking driver quality 230SL, old but nice repaint, I think white on blue (the most popular combo in 64-65 I would bet) for around 16K. It had both tops and a good Becker radio too.
    Prices are all over the place on these, but the minute there's anything shabby on the car the price drops a lot. So faded paint, a rip in the top, a good dent or two, and price guides go out the window. (I just described $12,000 in repairs).

This car was a non-original color repaint, I think that damaged values a little, as the dash wasn't painted the same as the body.
    This car was a non-original color repaint, I think that damaged values a little, as the dash wasn't painted the same as the body.

Yep, the dashes were metal and chrome and the metal should match the body color
    as should the centers of the wheel covers. I think it makes the car look less original iof the wheel covers are all chrome.

Yeah, people do that to fintails all the time. I think the body colored wheel covers are a nice touch, people always seem to comment on them on my car.

The last 280SLs could be ordered with bundt wheels I think.
    Yep, I think the Bundts were pretty rare but I actually prefer the color matching covers.

• martianmartian Posts: 220
    How did they come up with those colors? Alfas were sedate-but FIATs came over with weird shades-like that bile green, or neon orange. I also remember s kind of murky brown.
    The Ita;lians always seemed to ahve some of the weirdest paint colors I ever saw.
    edited April 2010
    A lot of folks would say that Fiat's colors were sedate compared to Porsche's. During the 1970s they went especially wild with lurid yellows (similar to the Positano Yellow on Fiats), oranges loud greens and so on. It was the 70s but I guess Porsche was the only upscale make to indulge in those colors. Downscale they were quite common, particularly on Muscle cars (Plum Crazy, Gang Green).

Porsche 914>image

BTW I'm sure Alfa offered the GTV 1750/2000 and the Giulia TI in mustard yellow .

• texasestexases Posts: 5,562
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of Porsche colors, can somebody explain to me why they (or is it Ruf) seem to like these colors a LOT?

Such as:
    Someday I'm gonna put a Boxster engine in a 914 and turn it into a weapons grade two seater. We have the technology, we have the skill, we do NOT have the money. :(

• lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    Wouldn't you be just as well off with a 3.2L air cooled in it?
    Well the Boxster is already mid-engined so I'm thinking it's more compact and workable.

I've driven a 914/6 and it's not for the timid. I think about 200HP is more than enough.

Besides, I'd want to get rid of the 914 transmission entirely and it seems to me that if would be more feasible to plug in the Boxster engine/trans.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,201
    I guess dreams can be weird, but a lot of trouble, time and expense for what? Okay, you'd have a sleeper, but who'd care?
    True enough in the case of most projects like this, except that the 914 is really a very clever and useful little car, and an extremely competent- handling car. The purpose of building it would be to have an exciting car to drive, with two trunks, a targa top, 30+ mpg and not just another of the gazillion Boxsters on the road. And I could build it way under the price of a new Boxster S.

Fact is, anything stock from the 70s that I can afford is not very exciting, and the ones that are exciting are way too expensive for me.

edited April 2010
    The uniqueness of having such a vehicle is a valid point, as would be the satisfaction derived from building it. Also, you'd be saving a old car that might otherwise go to the crusher before very long.

In the past year or so I've read that Porsche is considering building a sports car priced below the Boxter. If it does, maybe that would be the spiritual successor to the 914.
    Not a bad idea. The Boxster has been given over to the upper middle class, mostly women, and many with automatic transmissions. Sneaking in under that and snagging some of the Miata/Honda/Mini/VW market for two seat roadsters/ small cabriolets, might be a clever move---in the $28K--$32K range. The Boxster has become the car for the person who can't quite pull the trigger on a 997, so the Baby Boxster could be the car for those that can't pull the trigger on the regular Boxster.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,455
    can't pull the trigger

Where I come from, that's just being poor... :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well there's a difference between poverty and not being able to buy a Porsche.

Besides, being "poor" doesn't stop Americans. You could probably buy a brand new Boxster on a credit card down payment if you have an 800+ credit score.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,455
    Good credit is a dangerous thing.. I'm pretty sure I could have a 911 Turbo in my driveway, tomorrow...

So, the boy goes to community college, instead of Vanderbilt... so what? :surprise:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Exactly---love dies but possessions are forever :P

• martianmartian Posts: 220
    I would love to have a GTV sport sedan, as a daily driver. Are these rerasonably priced? And, are spare parst an issue? My local Alfa shop just closed-the guy there told me that p[arts for the Spyders were no problem-not sure about the GTV.
    edited June 2010
    I presume you mean the V6 GTVs?

They are cheap, but finding a really good one is not easy---and then you have to convince the previous owner, who no doubt spent a fortune making it a nice one, to let it go for the current market value. It's a hard car to buy and a hard car to sell.

Mechanical parts should be no problem, but interior and exterior trim pieces won't be easy.

I'm guessing, that for any GTV V6 that is not a project, basket case, rust bucket, mis-wired, patched up pile of junk, brutalized badly tuned science experiment, etc. (that is, most of them) then something like $4500 should get the job done.

A fun car, but be prepared to reject a lot of them and to have work to do on the one you do buy. Watch out for bad 1st and 2nd gear synchros, electrical gremlins, trashed interiors (broken seats, switches, etc) and tired suspension.

This is one car where patience really is rewarded.

I agree with everything you said except your last sentence.

Last Saturday I spent a couple of hours looking at dozens of Alfas at the 100th Centennial gathering near Frederick, MD, and chatting with owners. My brother (who once owned an Alfa) and I concluded that, while they're very interesting cars, we wouldn't want to own one.

I like Alfas, but I couldn't justify the expense and hassle of owning an old one. I wouldn't buy a new one, either, should they be reintroduced in the U.S. I might consider a 2-3 year old one, kind of in the same spirit as buying a depreciated Saab or Audi, but would stay away from new and old ones.
    I think my last sentence had two meanings----the one I intended was that "patience" would be good while LOOKING for a GTV V-6----not that patience would make it run better once you owned it!

If I had Jay Leno's money, I'd stuff an Alfa 164LS motor into a late model Spider, like a 1993. And I'd run an aftermarket fuel injection system on it that I dialed in myself.

Ah, okay.

Yeah, with Leno's money you could buy and do a lot of neat things. Come to think of it, my garage might not be too different from his.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Posts: 1,653
    Personally, I think that the last desirable GTV was rear wheel drive and built in 1974.

(My apologies if I have exceeded Edmunds ridiculous 1/2 page width limitation. :sick: )

74 Alfa GTV - Chicago Area

This discussion has been closed.