Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford News

1202122232426»

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622

It's not that they don't care - they'd love to be #1. But they're not willing to sacrifice profitability to do it like they used to. They'd rather sell 25K Fusions at $30K than 30K at $27K.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985

A reporter would like to speak to a new car buyer under 40 years old who purchased their car because of the connectivity features. Did you buy a Ford because of Sync and MyFordTouch, a Chrysler because of UConnect, a Honda because of HondaLink, etc.? If so, and you'd like to share your story, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than 3 p.m. PT/6 p.m. ET on Monday, 1/7/14.

"Mulally’s candidacy to lead the world’s largest software company threatened to overshadow Ford’s new-vehicle introductions such as the F-150 pickup and raised the risk of internal strife among his deputies at the Dearborn, Michigan-based company."

Mulally Bows Out of Microsoft CEO Race, Staying at Ford (Bloomberg)

• berriberri Posts: 4,007

Since Mulally could have done this earlier, gotta wonder if he wanted the Microsoft job but didn't make the cut? Regardless, he has been good for Ford and I think Ford will continue to be more fun for him than Microsoft would have been anyway. And maybe now he can get rid of the Microsoft involvement in My Ford/Synch?

Not the way it works. If MS approached him about being CEO then the job was his if he wanted it. Either they never actually offered him the job or he turned it down. Either way he wants to clear up the uncertainty for investors and employees and customers.

Payback for not hiring Mulally?

"Ford Motor Co. plans to ditch Microsoft Corp. for Blackberry Ltd. for future upgrades to its Sync voice-activated system." (Detroit News)

Apparently many auto mfrs are going with QNX. My guess is its a lot cheaper/easier to license. QNX was purchased by BB and will survive regardless.

@akirby, the news today is that Ford is dropping Microsoft for Blackberry. Existing cars using My Touch will continued to be offered "improvements".

• berriberri Posts: 4,007

But will Blackberry be around in a few years? I know they have refocused from cell phones, but there's lots of competition out there in software.

No worries, Microsoft will buy them out. :D