Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford News

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    If only it had a bigger gas tank (and a REAL manual mode) I'd grab one.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,508
    Worldwide? I'm curious what % are manual transmissions. I think they have a very nice feel to the shifter. I seriously considered the Focus due to the extra cargo space (the passenger space is similar to Fiesta) until I stumbled across the Fiesta I bought. FE is so comparable as to be of limited concern; the higher price tag of course made me pause a little.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,828
    The WSJ is reporting that Ford is "preparing to shake up its European operations as the auto maker moves toward the expected naming of an heir-apparent to Chief Executive Alan Mulally.

The Dearborn, Mich., company's board is close to naming Mark Fields, now head of Ford's North and South American units, to the new position of chief operating officer."

Mulally is 67 but no retirement announcement appears imminent.

In other news, Oldest Ford Car Up for Auction (Inside Line)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Ford and the CAW have a new 4 year agreement up on Canada. So attention will again shift to Mulally and whether he sticks around next year in one role or another.

"Reports have been out that the board is now considering its replacements for the great CEO. The good news for Ford investors is that this may not take place until late in 2013. The bad news is that if you look at the body language that Mulally has telegraphed, and if you look at the comments from the company, a Mulally departure in the relatively near future seems all but certain. Reports last week showed that Ford might even consider keeping Mulally on as a nonexecutive chairman."

More on Ford After the Mulally Regime (Market Watch)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    edited September 2012
    A nonhybrid Fusion can be had with a manual. The 1.6 ecoboost has an available manual trans in the '13 Fusion. The 1.6 EB with a manual could be a fun car. To bad a manual won't be offered with the 2.0 Ecoboost.
    It can, though I'm not sure it would be all that peppy given it is a 3500# car. It guess its overall feel would be determined more by its driving dynamics than its acceleration. I think that, in this case, we were discussing the hybrid version specifically. But, if they can pull off something like mid 30s EPA rating on the car, it should be quite a hit given that it knocks the pants off the other class offerings in terms of looks.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    It can, though I'm not sure it would be all that peppy given it is a 3500# car.

I'm optimistic considering the 1.6 ecoboost has a decent amount of torque across a wide rpm range. So while it certainly won't be fast, with a manual, it could be entertaining to drive at least.
    I agree, depending on driving dynamics. It certainly looks like it could be entertaining!

I'm still nursing my annoyance with Ford being non-committal about putting the 1.6L ecoboost in the Fiesta. That would be fun. Heck, it's fun without the ecoboost; having it would be a downright BLAST! :shades:
  • berriberri Posts: 4,202
    The unions always seem to pick Ford when times are difficult. I guess they're an easy mark for caving in.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    Actually, Ford was the last to cave into the UAW. Henry Ford had his own private army of thugs led by Harry Bennett, who was nothing more than a gangster, to attack striking workers.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,854
    But that was 80 years ago.

Right now Ford is targeted because they are the healthiest of the big 3.
  • podpod Posts: 176
    An ad for the new Ford Focus states "...Your music. Phone contacts. The perfect temperature. Even directions to just about anywhere you need to go. Using touch controls and voice commands, SYNC with MyFord Touch provides an easy-to-use way to access your vehicle's systems with your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road." How myTouch keeps your eyes on the road is mystifying. I think all screens (whether navigation, information, or whatever) should be banned from automobiles. They all take your eyes off the road. Voice activated systems are fine. Anything you have to read is an accident waiting to happen. Sync is good. Mytouch is just the wrong way to go. Cadillac advertises that it has a screen just like your computer on its mid dash. Terrific. I don't understand why the Highway Traffic and Safety Board has not banned all displays in cars that are intended for the driver. If you have to read it, it doesn't belong. The speedometer and tach are front and center and high and actually are not useful information most of the time. You don't read them; you glance at the analog display. The introduction of elctronic displays is a major step backward in automobile safety. I also think that cell phone signals should be shorted out by the metallic shell of the car (ban the antennae) so no one can use a cell phone in a car. Ever. Stop and get out if you have some chatting to do or schedules to check up on. Cars have lethal momentum and are not a place for convenience or daydreaming. I know I am in a minority and this will never happen but there is no logical need for these displays. Cars are full of unnecessary dodads like foglights which cannot help unless your speed in less than 15 mph or you outdrive them. Spoilers are decoration in most cars. And so on. I fear that fashion has made cars less safe even as the construction and airbags, etc make the cars safer. I would like to hear an argument in favor of screens you have to read. Anyone. Bueller?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    edited October 2012
    I agree that having to take your eyes off the road is too dangerous. When we were looking at a new Crossover back in April and May we liked the Edge and the MY Ford Touch seemed like a neat idea. You were able to look to the right of the speedometer to select what you wanted to control by voice only. So actually with this setup you could do most things like change the Temperature, Radio Station or make a call without moving your eyes more than you would to check your speed. We decided on a Toyota Highlander because for my wife the Ford setup was too complicated because she is Technologically challenged and it was going to be her car. For me I would have loved it. Actually the Toyota had a better ride and the interior cabin was much more quiet.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,202
    Personally, I don't really want to talk to my car, but then I think walking around talking into Bluetooth can sometimes look like someone is retarded or something. I've rented a few new Explorer's and thought that the dash was kind of an ergonomic mess. The speedometer is buried in the corner and too small with weird increments. the touch controls don't always work when you touch them - sometimes you have to punch them. Didn't try to synch them, but the blogs aren't very pretty about that function either. It did get decent mileage for its size.
    "Ford Motor Co. said September was its best month ever in China thanks to strong passenger car sales, particularly sales of the Focus compact car.

Ford China and its partners registered 59,570 sales in September, up 35 percent compared to last September."

Ford posts record September sales in China (Detroit News)

• jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    What the heck is the delay in the release of the 2013 MKZ? I give up... I will buy a Lexus ES 350... after all the hoop la and press shame on Ford. Jerry (Western MA)
  • I visited my local Ford-Lincoln dealer to pick up some 2013 brochures last week. He told me that the 2013 MKZ wouldn't be there until November.

I did see a 2013 Fusion Titanium. It's a beautiful car, but the sticker on this particular one was for $36,000!
    Just got a handwritten letter from the Ford dealership where I take my 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis saying the "Grand Marquis is in high demand as a used car" and if I'd be "interested in a new 2012 or 2013 Ford product."

Well, I can see the Grand Marquis being in high demand, especially by taxi and livery services. As for a new 2012 or 2013 Ford product, if they can show me a new 2013 Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car, I'll be right over!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,854
    Sorry but your Grand Marquis is not in high demand. What is in high demand are new car customers.
    edited October 2012
    The handwritten part is new and a nice touch. The pitch isn't.

Perhaps you should have traded six months ago though.

"The lack of used car supply has been sort of underlying the strength of used car prices for about three years," Kontos said. "As that supply is starting to come back … that tends to cause used car prices to level off and eventually start to decline a little bit."

Wholesale used-vehicle prices drop 2.1% (Detroit News)

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    I strongly doubt it was handwritten. Look close enough and you'll see dots from the toner or inkjet.

edited October 2012
    "The Ford team delivered a best-ever third quarter, driven by record results in North America," said Chief Executive Alan Mulally in a statement. "While we are facing near-term challenges in Europe, we are fully committed to transforming our business."

Ford Results Show Power of U.S. Operations (WSJ)

• First vehicle was a 35 Ford with a 48 Ford V-8, loud and fun, and for a 14 yr old new driver it was a treat..My favorite one was my 50 Ford Crestliner,outfitted with dual exhausts, dual carbs, with 3 on the column combined with overdrive..60mph-1st gear,90 in 2nd, and 3rd was 100+..We had a bunch of Fords, 47-50-51-52-53 and a 54..

Someone was talking about the 2013 Lincoln MKX, and this last Saturday a friend from Indiana was down driving a 2012 MKX AWD model which he said was getting 25mpgs @ 75mph...readout info,probably getting 22mpgs in the real world..It was a loaded car,however no sunroof,and stickered close to $50k..no value in my world..I think it was powered by the Mustang V-6, 307hp..

Lincoln has lost its way in my opinion and really searching for its niche..High price with dismal resale value..

Mulally had a hand in saving Ford during the recession and Europe is a strain on Ford's balance sheet, so the time has arrived to sweeten up the product line..Ford killed Lincoln when they dropped Mercury line causing the dealers to lose the traffic on the cheaper offerings..and dismal looking Lincoln product..

I like FoMoCo and did alot of business with them, and have a 2013 Mustang GT ordered..It's a car every senior citizen should have in their garage..
    I agree that Lincoln has lost its way and absolutely needs better differentiation from Ford offerings, as well as to be competitive with the luxury classes.

That doesn't seem to keep people from buying them, though. I see new Lincolns quite often in my city.

Overall, though, I'm not surprised by Ford's showing lately. They are building better (and better looking) cars than they have in the last thirty years. Consumers in this economy want value, however they personally define it, and Ford is delivering in spades.
    edited October 2012
    "The loyalty results measure what percentage of owners an automaker retains when a vehicle is traded in or comes off lease. The results are based on registration data and cover all of an automaker's brands, Experian said.

The Ford brand was the No. 1 individual brand, with a loyalty rate of 44.7 percent during the second quarter. Ford was followed by the Toyota brand at 44.6 percent, Experian Automotive said." (autonews.com)

edited November 2012

Not surprising. It's a good-looking vehicle and the new kid on the block. I'm not sure if the pricing structure is comparable, but Ford is also offering some incentives, so that might make it more attractive.

In my opinion, this is a solid application of the corporate design, and I'd certainly consider it the more visually attractive of the two (vs. Prius V). I'm almost curious now how it compares to the V in terms of space usage & availability.
  • In my opinion, this is a solid application of the corporate design, and I'd certainly consider it the more visually attractive of the two (vs. Prius V).

It's not even close, the Ford stomps the Prius in the looks department. Ford's recent quality woes are stretched by the ridiculously close margins in quality these days. I wouldn't hesitate a tad ta buy a new Ford C-Max Hybrid. They are ultra-cool. Really.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

Nice to see we've got a nicer-looking alternative to the Prius! If gas prices really get wacky, I might even check out a C-Max. How do prices of the C-Max compare to the Prius?