Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford News

Comments

• without anything else new on the matter, is it Ford's new Microsoft product, Sync, that's causing about 85% of their quality problems (the 85% is a total guess on my part!)?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    I do believe that is the main issues with Ford. Also, if I recall from my latest issue of CR, the fact that Ford has 3 vehicles that are too new to rate. Fusion, Escape, and can't think of the third. Ford is still a good brand. I do know that the Explorer and Edge were not recommended because of reliability issues. I still maintain that regardless of issues Honda, Prius, Subaru, and Volt owners will never admit they have issues. When CR sends out their yearly survey to Subscribers I think these owners will not answer totally honestly. I have no proof of course, but just in talking to many people that own these vehicles they seem to have a blind loyalty to them.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited November 2012
    I still maintain that regardless of issues Honda, Prius, Subaru, and Volt owners will never admit they have issues.

I've owned many different makes and I haven't treated any of them differently on a survey from JD or CU, well except for GM, I fill out as many surveys as I can to report how bad they suck;)

My Ford Touch has been a problem for Ford and so has the dual clutch transmission in the Focus. The one guy I know that owns a '12 Focus has had the trans replaced already.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,681
    edited November 2012
    My Ford Touch has been a problem for Ford and so has the dual clutch transmission in the Focus. The one guy I know that owns a '12 Focus has had the trans replaced already.

I would like ta think that here on Edmunds we could find truckloads of information on this in the Ford Focus threads. Eh?

Chime in, I too believe in utmost honesty when rating my vehicles. That's the only way ta treat those CR deals. Or tests.

Or reliability reports. JD Power, too. I can tell you that my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has been totally reliable and a ball ta drive. The battery I just installed set me back $101.20, but that's because the beautiful compact's battery needs 550 cold-cranking amps ta handle all of the advanced electronics on the car. Not a big deal, huh?

If I didn't know myself better I'd say I've become a Mitsubishi lifer. Of sorts.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,114
    "Ford workers angry about the automaker's plans to shutter a plant in Belgium broke windows and burned tires in a demonstration outside the company's European headquarters in Germany.

The automaker will not rule out more European capacity cuts if the auto market deteriorates further.

The situation in Europe remains "very volatile," CEO Alan Mulally said at a conference in Berlin on Wednesday."

Ford workers in Germany protest job cuts (Detroit Free Press)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Europeans have a short temper. Something they don't like and they start riots, smash windows and burn cars and buildings. I wonder why someone choose to place auto-plants in Europe - labor is expensive and unruly and regulations do not allow any flexibility. They can smash windows and burn cars as much as they want but there is no way to stop train wreck. Sovereign defaults and austerity measures are coming and there will be more plant closures. Ford is ahead of curve and is doing tough but right thing to survive. I am not so sure about GM - they as usual kick can down the road. FIAT and Peugeot may go bankrupt if there are not government bailouts and believe national bailouts in EU are against law.
    "With car and truck sales on the rebound, all of Detroit's automakers are making money. But Ford Motor Co. is making a lot more on each vehicle it sells than its crosstown rivals do.

Ford's third-quarter operating margin in North America was 12 percent — the highest since the company began breaking out regional margins in 2000."

Ford leads rivals on profits per vehicle (Detroit News)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"Ford is extending the warranty and offering another upgrade that enhances the voice-recognition and navigation technology on its much-criticized MyFord Touch infotainment system, Mark Fields, soon to be the automaker's chief operating officer, told reporters Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The warranty on the MyFord Touch system will now last for five years, up from three years. MyLincoln Touch will carry a six-year warranty, said Ford spokesman Alan Hall."

Ford to extend warranty, update software for MyFord Touch (Detroit Free Press)

edited December 2012
    "Ford Motor Co. said Monday it posted November sales of 177,673, an increase 6 percent, with retail sales jumping 12 percent."

Ford sales up 6 (Detroit News)

Looks like the EPA is going to investigate the C-Max and Fusion Hybrid mileage ratings.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Hybrids vary pretty wildly from CR's observed MPG typically. The EPA result isn't really designed to factor in hybrid tech. It'll be interesting to see if they get the same numbers Ford did.
    I doubt that anyone thought a hybrid could get up to 62 mph before the gas motor kicked in when they designed the EPA test.

How about it Fezo?

"Ford claims its Transit Connect will deliver at least 5 m.p.g. better fuel economy on the highway (30 m.p.g. or better) than a Ram C/V Cargo Van while the wagon makes the same claim over a 7-seat Toyota Sienna minivan. Payload is an estimated 1,600 pounds."

Ford unveils redesign of Transit, Transit Connect (Detroit Free Press)

President George W. Bush's 2009 Ford F-150 To Cross Auction Block

"Proceeds from the sale of the truck will benefit the Fisher House Foundation, which donates "comfort homes" built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers."

Hopefully it'll bring way more than TMV. :shades:

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    Well, I am officially out of the minivan biz (though one as an extra car would be useful) but I sure hope a redesigned Transit Connect is better than the current one. When I was stuck in NYC for three months and had to take cabs everywhere I had the misfortune to ride in a Transit Connect. After the experience I made a point to not flag down another!
    edited December 2012
    With your Windstall luck, I wondered if you even bothered with this discussion and would see my missive. Hoping the news is that Ford is going under? :D

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I'm curious to see how the Connect actually performs. If it delivers over 30 highway in the real world with that 1.6 ecoboost, and isn't a total dog, I might loosely ponder it with the wife. I sure would like to see them plunk a small turbo diesel in there that returns about 40. I'd be all over that. It'd be my Fiesta with 5x (or more?) the space!
    "Ford added 6,500 hourly jobs this year with new shifts at Michigan assembly in Wayne (1,200 jobs), Chicago (1,200), Louisville, Ky., (3,100) and Kansas City, Mo., (800), for a 15% increase in output."

Ford investing $773 million in 6 Michigan plants, adding 2,350 jobs (Detroit Free Press)

"Ford announced today it is doubling the dividends it pays shareholders to 10 cents per share, surprising the investment community and pushing up the stock price."

Ford doubles dividend to 10 cents; stock goes up (Detroit Free Press)

The Ford family will get a nice bump from the dividend too.

• joeyrabjoeyrab Posts: 65
    Say what you want about Consumer Reports. When I was young I thought Toyota and Honda paid them off. Now that I am older, I see they were correct about everything. 2012 Auto issue has Toyota taking the top 3 spots in 3 different catagories. Of course that includes Scion and Lexus. Ford however fell from a top 10 spot to 2nd to last. Now I have a theory that I wonder if anyone else believes. When the government bailed out GM and Chrysler, Ford didn't take any money, (from what I understood), so the perception was, they were ok, so people took a "let's buy from them" attitude...thing is they really weren't any better. It was all smoke and mirrors. Now after selling more cars than thay have in recent years, people are not satisfied and realizing that the cars really aren't "that great".
  • berriberri Posts: 4,157
    edited January 2013
    My experience with Ford's replicates yours. I don't see much quality difference between Ford and GM despite all the Ford hype about quality being job #1. Particularly after the warranty expires.
    "According to Polk Automotive, which tracks registration data for vehicles, the Ford brand had the highest loyalty rate of any brand among consumers in 2012. Polk has been handing out a loyalty award for 17 years. The firm’s data is the best means of tracking consumer behavior because it can tell which households have vehicles from a certain brand and which ones continue to stay in the brand after a new vehicle is purchased.

Ford’s loyalty rate for the brand is 61%. For Ford Motor Co., which includes Lincoln, it is 62%. The industry average is 48%."

Taglines May Help After All: Ford Ranks Highest in Customer Loyalty (Wall St. Journal)

• I am thinking of buying a 2010 Ford Fusion SE. Can anyone tell me how the reliability of these cars are, does anyone own an older own that may have some insight? I want to know if this car is going to last me many years to come. Thanks!
    I think 2010 is a good year for the Fusion. My brother bought a new 2010 Fusion sport and he's yet to have an issue with it.

Of course there are no guarantees, but I'd think a 2010 Fusion SE would be a fairly safe bet.
    Overall reliability looks to have gotten better starting in '08. We don't have Identifix data after '09 unfortunately, but the historical trend is good.

• mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    I have a 2009 SEL V6 which isn't a direct comparison since the 2010 was pretty much a redesign and a new engine and I believe transmission. I know that Consumer Reports rates the 2009 very high in reliability and also since I have owned it from day 1, which was late October of 2008, I know that it is a great car. Though I am chomping at the bit for a new Fusion or an Optima SX. Promised my wife that I would run it for 8 years since we just bought a new 2012 Highlander Limited AWD back in May of 2012. Got about 4 years left if I can hold out. I do like the looks of the 2010 through 2012 Fusion. I don't think I have seen one 2013 Fusion outside a dealers lot yet.
    edited January 2013
    "Strong North American profits will net record profit sharing checks of $8,300 on average for 45,800 hourly workers, to be paid March 14.

Ford reported its highest fourth-quarter pre-tax profit since the same period in 1999 at $1.7 billion or 31 cents per share, beating analyst expectations of 25 cents per share. Net income for the quarter was $1.6 billion despite losses in Europe of $732 million.

Bob Shanks, chief financial officer, had warned that Ford would lose more than $1.5 billion in Europe in 2012 and the year ended with a $1.8 billion loss in the region marked by economic upheaval and high unemployment."

Ford earns $1.6 billion net in 4Q (Detroit Free Press)

Ford worldwide pension deficit jumps to $18.7 billion (Detroit News)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Overall good news. Pensions are always a risk, especially with companies like these that were practically giving away the farm with their pension packages back in the automotive heydays.

About all there is left to do in some cases is hope the retirees die relatively young. :sick:
    edited January 2013
    There's a joke here somewhere about most of the retirees being stuck in Detroit, but I'll let that one slide. :P

The stock market isn't liking the EU news I guess, but it seems like stock movements in general are often in the opposite direction of the news.