Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford News

Comments

• without anything else new on the matter, is it Ford's new Microsoft product, Sync, that's causing about 85% of their quality problems (the 85% is a total guess on my part!)?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 381
    I do believe that is the main issues with Ford. Also, if I recall from my latest issue of CR, the fact that Ford has 3 vehicles that are too new to rate. Fusion, Escape, and can't think of the third. Ford is still a good brand. I do know that the Explorer and Edge were not recommended because of reliability issues. I still maintain that regardless of issues Honda, Prius, Subaru, and Volt owners will never admit they have issues. When CR sends out their yearly survey to Subscribers I think these owners will not answer totally honestly. I have no proof of course, but just in talking to many people that own these vehicles they seem to have a blind loyalty to them.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited November 2012
    I still maintain that regardless of issues Honda, Prius, Subaru, and Volt owners will never admit they have issues.

I've owned many different makes and I haven't treated any of them differently on a survey from JD or CU, well except for GM, I fill out as many surveys as I can to report how bad they suck;)

My Ford Touch has been a problem for Ford and so has the dual clutch transmission in the Focus. The one guy I know that owns a '12 Focus has had the trans replaced already.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited November 2012
    My Ford Touch has been a problem for Ford and so has the dual clutch transmission in the Focus. The one guy I know that owns a '12 Focus has had the trans replaced already.

I would like ta think that here on Edmunds we could find truckloads of information on this in the Ford Focus threads. Eh?

Chime in, I too believe in utmost honesty when rating my vehicles. That's the only way ta treat those CR deals. Or tests.

Or reliability reports. JD Power, too. I can tell you that my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has been totally reliable and a ball ta drive. The battery I just installed set me back $101.20, but that's because the beautiful compact's battery needs 550 cold-cranking amps ta handle all of the advanced electronics on the car. Not a big deal, huh?

If I didn't know myself better I'd say I've become a Mitsubishi lifer. Of sorts.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    "Ford workers angry about the automaker's plans to shutter a plant in Belgium broke windows and burned tires in a demonstration outside the company's European headquarters in Germany.

The automaker will not rule out more European capacity cuts if the auto market deteriorates further.

The situation in Europe remains "very volatile," CEO Alan Mulally said at a conference in Berlin on Wednesday."

Ford workers in Germany protest job cuts (Detroit Free Press)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Europeans have a short temper. Something they don't like and they start riots, smash windows and burn cars and buildings. I wonder why someone choose to place auto-plants in Europe - labor is expensive and unruly and regulations do not allow any flexibility. They can smash windows and burn cars as much as they want but there is no way to stop train wreck. Sovereign defaults and austerity measures are coming and there will be more plant closures. Ford is ahead of curve and is doing tough but right thing to survive. I am not so sure about GM - they as usual kick can down the road. FIAT and Peugeot may go bankrupt if there are not government bailouts and believe national bailouts in EU are against law.
    "With car and truck sales on the rebound, all of Detroit's automakers are making money. But Ford Motor Co. is making a lot more on each vehicle it sells than its crosstown rivals do.

Ford's third-quarter operating margin in North America was 12 percent — the highest since the company began breaking out regional margins in 2000."

Ford leads rivals on profits per vehicle (Detroit News)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"Ford is extending the warranty and offering another upgrade that enhances the voice-recognition and navigation technology on its much-criticized MyFord Touch infotainment system, Mark Fields, soon to be the automaker's chief operating officer, told reporters Wednesday at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The warranty on the MyFord Touch system will now last for five years, up from three years. MyLincoln Touch will carry a six-year warranty, said Ford spokesman Alan Hall."

Ford to extend warranty, update software for MyFord Touch (Detroit Free Press)

edited December 2012
    "Ford Motor Co. said Monday it posted November sales of 177,673, an increase 6 percent, with retail sales jumping 12 percent."

Ford sales up 6 (Detroit News)

• dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    Looks like the EPA is going to investigate the C-Max and Fusion Hybrid mileage ratings.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Hybrids vary pretty wildly from CR's observed MPG typically. The EPA result isn't really designed to factor in hybrid tech. It'll be interesting to see if they get the same numbers Ford did.
    I doubt that anyone thought a hybrid could get up to 62 mph before the gas motor kicked in when they designed the EPA test.

How about it Fezo?

"Ford claims its Transit Connect will deliver at least 5 m.p.g. better fuel economy on the highway (30 m.p.g. or better) than a Ram C/V Cargo Van while the wagon makes the same claim over a 7-seat Toyota Sienna minivan. Payload is an estimated 1,600 pounds."

Ford unveils redesign of Transit, Transit Connect (Detroit Free Press)

President George W. Bush's 2009 Ford F-150 To Cross Auction Block

"Proceeds from the sale of the truck will benefit the Fisher House Foundation, which donates "comfort homes" built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers."

Hopefully it'll bring way more than TMV. :shades:

• fezofezo Posts: 9,326
    Well, I am officially out of the minivan biz (though one as an extra car would be useful) but I sure hope a redesigned Transit Connect is better than the current one. When I was stuck in NYC for three months and had to take cabs everywhere I had the misfortune to ride in a Transit Connect. After the experience I made a point to not flag down another!
    edited December 2012
    With your Windstall luck, I wondered if you even bothered with this discussion and would see my missive. Hoping the news is that Ford is going under? :D

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I'm curious to see how the Connect actually performs. If it delivers over 30 highway in the real world with that 1.6 ecoboost, and isn't a total dog, I might loosely ponder it with the wife. I sure would like to see them plunk a small turbo diesel in there that returns about 40. I'd be all over that. It'd be my Fiesta with 5x (or more?) the space!
    "Ford added 6,500 hourly jobs this year with new shifts at Michigan assembly in Wayne (1,200 jobs), Chicago (1,200), Louisville, Ky., (3,100) and Kansas City, Mo., (800), for a 15% increase in output."

Ford investing $773 million in 6 Michigan plants, adding 2,350 jobs (Detroit Free Press)

"Ford announced today it is doubling the dividends it pays shareholders to 10 cents per share, surprising the investment community and pushing up the stock price."

Ford doubles dividend to 10 cents; stock goes up (Detroit Free Press)

The Ford family will get a nice bump from the dividend too.