Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford News

Comments

• delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Thanks steve and gagrice for your help. Will check in the stocks discussion forums. :shades:
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    We will have to see if this holds up over the longer term but so far at least you are wrong.

Go back and read what I wrote, I said "after a few months", when the newness of the Taurus wears off. Given that there are 300M+ people in this country, thereis a miniscule amount of people who are going out and buying a Taurus at this time, and for the uniquness factor, it is not surprising they want a "nice" Taurus to show off.
    The Taurus SHO appeals to the same type of people that a Pontiac G8 GT might have. As we saw with that vehicle there was a demand at the beginning, but the model didn't really do much to help Pontiac after those first few months now did it?

Consumers are tapped out; their home-equity is lousy, their governments at all levels are broke and raising taxes and fees. It's not a good environment to try and sell $30K+ vehicles when it is not a NEED. A much less expensive vehicle can get people around, and that's where the market-growth will be. Those that recognize that the country has declined economically will be the ones to benefit (just look at the value of the $, the trade-deficit, and the governement deficits).
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,146
    edited October 2010
    That's the average of the number five analysts told Bloomberg to expect tomorrow when earnings results are announced. Ford Could Post Record Third-Quarter Profit (AutoObserver)

In other Ford news, Ford Invests $850 Million, Adds 1,200 Jobs in Michigan. The fine print says those jobs will be added by 2013.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• berriberri Posts: 4,159
    Ford's financial issues are cash flows and debt leverage. Continued profitability should resolve them in the next few years. The other concern is the potential significant cost structure advantage GM gained in its government sponsored BK. This could impair their profit margins compared to GM causing Ford to incur higher interest rates and possibly inhibiting stock price growth down the road. I think the key here is for Ford to keep its quality advantage over GM products.
    The number came in at $1.7 billion.

"Ford Motor Co. reported Tuesday that it had earned $1.69 billion in the third quarter, a new record for the quarter that surpassed analysts' forecasts. Ford also announced plans to further reduce its hefty debt load further".

Ford Sets Third-Quarter Record with $1.7 Billion Profit (AutoObserver)

So maybe that will help address the debt leverage concerns you mentioned.

And the quality advantage - well, Ford and GM are both getting better on that front, leaving Chrysler in the dust.

"- General Motors, which shed its debt in bankruptcy along with problem-plagued brands, showed vast improvement, especially with its newest models.

- Ford, on a continuous improvement path for the past half-dozen years, showed more incremental improvement."

Consumer Reports: Honda, Toyota Still Tops in Reliability; GM Improves (AutoObserver)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,893
    It has not hurt their stock price either. From under $2 to over $15 in less than 24 months. From the brink of bankruptcy to record profitability in less than two years. That was good management and a bit of luck with Toyota falling apart.
    edited November 2010
    They keep making all the right moves.

"Ford is one step closer to getting an investment-grade credit rating. A move that will further help the company get better interest rates when it issues debt in the future. And as it builds up its cash position, Ford could once again pay a dividend to common share holders. Ford hasn't paid a dividend on its common stock since 2006."

It sounds like the stock just got watered down from converting the debt to shares, but the quote today is back up to almost $16.

Ford Debt Drops Again, Why You Should Care (CNBC)

Over the years I've come to think of auto companies like airlines, they are sometimes a shorter term investment opportunity, but not a good long term holding - too many fixed costs, union problems and tight correlation to economy changes.
    "Lincoln knocked Porsche off its perch as the most dependable of 34 brands in the 2011 J. D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study. It was the first time Lincoln has topped the list, which has been published annually since 1990."

Lincoln Tops J.D. Power Dependability Survey (NY Times)

(btw, since Ford became profitable in 2010, the discussion name has been changed to something more generic).

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    btw, since Ford became profitable in 2010, the discussion name has been changed to something more generic

I guess so! It could hardly be more generic now....
    edited March 2011
    Give us something snappy and we'll change it again.

Focus on Ford? Explore Ford?

(now you've done it :shades: )

"Ford topped an annual automotive brand poll conducted by Harris Interactive, while Chevrolet and Honda also leapfrogged 2010 brand leader Toyota in the survey.

Ford’s sales jumped 19 percent last year to more than 1.9 million units, with 2010 truck sales surging 27 percent and models such as the Ford Fusion sedan and Ford Edge SUV each boosting sales by more than 20 percent, the automaker said in January."

Ford Tops Toyota in Harris Brand Poll (AutoObserver)

Boy it's quiet in here. Maybe we really do need a better title.... Focus on Fusions, Flexes and Fiestas..... Life on the Edge.....
    edited March 2011
    Need to get "Ford" in there for the search engines. :shades:

"Escape the Edge of the Fusion disaster in your Ford" doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

Meanwhile the new UAW head is blasting Mullaly for his 56.5 million bonus. UAW Chief Blasts Ford Bonuses (AutoObserver).

Oy! If anyone deserves that size bonus Mullaly is the guy!

$30K each for every auto worker? Yikes! That's should be the annual salary for some of them.
    The market must like the bonus too - Ford's stock is up 5% in trading today.

Gee, as it turns out I didn't have to wait for the UAW convention to hear what was coming..... The UAW’s Solidarity Train to Nowhere.

Dang, I wish I'd bought into Ford when it was down around a buck....
    I think Ford should do well, but I can see GM catching up in a few years. There is one confluence of events that worries me at Ford; if gas prices keep climbing, the economy turns down again, stagflation appears and the UAW strikes I could see all of this driving Ford into BK because of its financial leverage. Don't think it will happen, but its an outlier.
    Ford is blowing product out the door too.

Ford May Top GM In March SalesFord May Top GM In March Sales (AutoObserver)

• hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    Steve:
    You seem to be a numbers guy. Can you tell me how many Fiesta's Ford is selling per month?
    edited March 2011
    Heh, I'm more of a links guy than a numbers guy. :shades:

"Fiesta had its best sales month ever with 6,270 vehicles and continues to gain share in its market segment."

That was for February 2011, and that number was about 1,000 higher than the previous year. I don't have a handy link for other months.

Fiesta, Focus, Edge, Explorer Pace Ford's 23 Percent Increase in February Retail Sales (CNBC)

• tommy312tommy312 Posts: 15
    I hear you on that one. I can still see myself starring at the computer screen saying " I know I should buy 10,000 shares right now" but was to afraid to pull the trigger . That would have made a real nice down payment on a house :mad:

• cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I don't think Ford will surpass GM in sales. I do believe Ford will oust Toyota for number 2 spot for North American sales in the next 2 years. The Focus/Cmax will be Fords next big hit. The Focus sells very well in Europe and is ranked very high in customer satisfaction/performance and reliability. The Focus will topple the Civic/Corolla in about 3 years for either the number 1 or 2 spot. I have to say, the Chevy Cruze is a right step for GM. I test drove an LTZ and this car was impressive. Made the Civic look downright frumpy. I feel its going to be a battle between Focus and Cruze for top spot in the next 2 years.
  • xluxlu Posts: 457
    Dear forum host,

I noticed that the "Most Popular in Forums" frame is empty in the forum home page; one I entered any forums, the top 5 most popular in forums would show up there; but not shown in the forum home page. Can you fix it please?

Sorry for posting this off topic post here

Thanks
    Good spotting; it's been reported. Some feed issue perhaps. Thanks!

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    edited March 2011
    Yes, this is a very significant development. Despite all its great press and sales which are rocketing upwards, Ford is clearly not resting on its laurels.

I notice your March 2011 sales chart above does not include Hyundai, at present the only automaker putting direct injection engines in their compacts cars, and I am already seeing that Elantra all over the place.

Unlike the other post above, I do think Ford has a chance at toppling GM at some point - the Cruze hasn't hit the way the Fiesta and Focus have (in sales in the former, and press in the latter), there are no new car models of any note in the offing at GM, and the only newish gas-savers they have are the Cruze Eco and the Volt.

Meanwhile Toyota stopped trying several years ago with the product they have been turning out, and while they may be attempting to restart trying now, that will take several years to bear fruit. GM and Ford will top the sales charts for years, and the more interesting race will be the one for third: will it be Honda? Will it be Hyundai? Will Nissan ever regain the sales volume they once had? Or will Toyota manage to hang onto third despite a lackluster product line and mediocre build quality?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

"The Polk automotive research firm says that Ford's loyalty rating -- a measure of owners who purchase or lease a vehicle of the same model or make -- jumped to 63.1 percent in 2010, passing General Motors (59.9 percent) and Toyota (58.8 percent) for the top spot in the study."

Repeat customers: Ford tops auto loyalty study (mlive.com)

edited April 2011
    Incentives Fall, March Sales Momentum Slips.

AutoObserver is hedging their bets a little in case there's a fleet sale out there, but the Wall St. Journal, Bloomberg etc. are all calling the month for Ford. Looks like GM still sold more to individual consumers than Ford who had lots of fleet sales.

Looks like the numbers are 212,295 for Ford and 206,621 for GM. (WSJ)

Or 212,777 vs 206,600 per Straightline.

edited April 2011
    "Ford Motor Co. reported its largest first-quarter profit in 13 years on a recovery in the global economy, a larger portfolio of fuel-efficient vehicles and consumers buying a mix of pickup trucks and cars.

Ford, unlike competitor General Motors Co., also held the line or reduced its vehicle incentives which also boosted vehicle prices. The average transaction price, what consumers paid per car, rose by about $250 per vehicle, according to Edmunds.com. Consumers also outfitted their vehicles with more features."

Ford Posts $2.6 Billion Profit, Boosted by Fuel-Efficient Cars (Wall St. Journal).