Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford News

Comments

• joeyrabjoeyrab Posts: 65
    Say what you want about Consumer Reports. When I was young I thought Toyota and Honda paid them off. Now that I am older, I see they were correct about everything. 2012 Auto issue has Toyota taking the top 3 spots in 3 different catagories. Of course that includes Scion and Lexus. Ford however fell from a top 10 spot to 2nd to last. Now I have a theory that I wonder if anyone else believes. When the government bailed out GM and Chrysler, Ford didn't take any money, (from what I understood), so the perception was, they were ok, so people took a "let's buy from them" attitude...thing is they really weren't any better. It was all smoke and mirrors. Now after selling more cars than thay have in recent years, people are not satisfied and realizing that the cars really aren't "that great".
  • berriberri Posts: 4,013
    edited January 2013
    My experience with Ford's replicates yours. I don't see much quality difference between Ford and GM despite all the Ford hype about quality being job #1. Particularly after the warranty expires.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    "According to Polk Automotive, which tracks registration data for vehicles, the Ford brand had the highest loyalty rate of any brand among consumers in 2012. Polk has been handing out a loyalty award for 17 years. The firm’s data is the best means of tracking consumer behavior because it can tell which households have vehicles from a certain brand and which ones continue to stay in the brand after a new vehicle is purchased.

Ford’s loyalty rate for the brand is 61%. For Ford Motor Co., which includes Lincoln, it is 62%. The industry average is 48%."

Taglines May Help After All: Ford Ranks Highest in Customer Loyalty (Wall St. Journal)
  • I am thinking of buying a 2010 Ford Fusion SE. Can anyone tell me how the reliability of these cars are, does anyone own an older own that may have some insight? I want to know if this car is going to last me many years to come. Thanks!
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,634
    I think 2010 is a good year for the Fusion. My brother bought a new 2010 Fusion sport and he's yet to have an issue with it.

Of course there are no guarantees, but I'd think a 2010 Fusion SE would be a fairly safe bet.
    Overall reliability looks to have gotten better starting in '08. We don't have Identifix data after '09 unfortunately, but the historical trend is good.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    I have a 2009 SEL V6 which isn't a direct comparison since the 2010 was pretty much a redesign and a new engine and I believe transmission. I know that Consumer Reports rates the 2009 very high in reliability and also since I have owned it from day 1, which was late October of 2008, I know that it is a great car. Though I am chomping at the bit for a new Fusion or an Optima SX. Promised my wife that I would run it for 8 years since we just bought a new 2012 Highlander Limited AWD back in May of 2012. Got about 4 years left if I can hold out. I do like the looks of the 2010 through 2012 Fusion. I don't think I have seen one 2013 Fusion outside a dealers lot yet.
    edited January 2013
    "Strong North American profits will net record profit sharing checks of $8,300 on average for 45,800 hourly workers, to be paid March 14.

Ford reported its highest fourth-quarter pre-tax profit since the same period in 1999 at $1.7 billion or 31 cents per share, beating analyst expectations of 25 cents per share. Net income for the quarter was $1.6 billion despite losses in Europe of $732 million.

Bob Shanks, chief financial officer, had warned that Ford would lose more than $1.5 billion in Europe in 2012 and the year ended with a $1.8 billion loss in the region marked by economic upheaval and high unemployment."

Ford earns $1.6 billion net in 4Q (Detroit Free Press)

Ford worldwide pension deficit jumps to $18.7 billion (Detroit News)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,276
    Overall good news. Pensions are always a risk, especially with companies like these that were practically giving away the farm with their pension packages back in the automotive heydays.

About all there is left to do in some cases is hope the retirees die relatively young. :sick:
    edited January 2013
    There's a joke here somewhere about most of the retirees being stuck in Detroit, but I'll let that one slide. :P

The stock market isn't liking the EU news I guess, but it seems like stock movements in general are often in the opposite direction of the news.
    Well, the problems in the EU are pretty serious, but that's the way things go. This world moves from crisis to crisis. Otherwise, what news would be worth reporting?

It wasn't too long ago that Ford stock was junk and worth pennies on the dollar.
    True; good thing that Asia and North America are doing as well as they are.
    "The Dearborn automaker, which in 2009 introduced the EcoBoost series — a marriage of turbocharging, direct-injection and twin independent variable-camshaft timing — is in need of additional engines for high-volume vehicles like the Fusion midsize sedan and F-150 pickup. Buyers increasingly have opted for the EcoBoost engines which offer boosts in fuel efficiency and performance but command a premium of about $1,000.

Ford won't publicly speculate on future investments, but the company's goals are clear: In lieu of more fuel-efficient but expensive diesel engines — and until hybrids and electrics catch on, if they ever do — the power and fuel efficiency of EcoBoost remains the chosen path."

Ford's EcoBoost engine to spur investment, job growth (Detroit News)
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    Ford needs to expand on the Focus platform. Add a 2 door, 2 door hatch, convertible and a wagon. Give people choices on such a great platform. Next, BRING BACK THE RANGER! Offer a diesel engine in a 4cyl, offer a turbo diesel, heck even a hybrid! I just will never understand why Ford let the Japanese take the small truck market!!??? Sad.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    The small truck market shrunk from 2M to 250K in just a few years. Ford chose not to invest in a vehicle in such a declining market, not the other way around.
    The market declined because small trucks weren't competitive when all the investment was in the full-size market. Tack onto that the fact that fuel economy within the segment was marginally, at best, better than in the full-size market, and what incentive do people have to buy them?

They sold like hotcakes when they were a good value.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    If there was a viable market then SOMEBODY would be going after it. Nobody is making any significant investment in small trucks now. If there was that much opportunity then somebody would be going after it with gusto.

People who love small trucks like to think that the decline was due to product. But in reality the majority of the folks who used to buy Rangers switched to crossovers and small cars.

It's not that there isn't a market - it's just that the market is very small and not worth a big investment like it used to be.
    edited February 2013
    All good points but there are a lot of niche vehicles out there. Juke? Countryman? Veloster? HHR? Insight? Z4? Tribeca?

You'd think Ford could have cranked a few Rangers now and then and still use the line for something else the rest of the time. It's not like they'd have to invest a lot of new money in tooling.
    Yes, but they have to make something people really want to buy. Remember, they shut down a whole plant (that's a lot of savings!) when they scrapped the Ranger in North America.

akirby has a point, for sure. There was a time when people liked small pickups because they recognized their utility and versatility. I think the market is itching for a good offering in this class, but are settling for compact/mid-size SUVs because there isn't anything compelling. Honda was on the right track with their Ridgeline, but the towing isn't good enough and the fuel economy stinks.

Get a midsize, four-door pickup with a 5'+ bed, add a solid 6,500# towing capacity, AWD optional, average FE of 25+, and priced in the 20s, and it would sell very well I think.
    I guess it's too much to hope that Ford would let the Aussies build a third generation Ranger to US specs and ship 'em here. They seem to still be selling well there though. We came really close to buying a Courier back in the day.