Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sedans with V8s under $40K

2»

Comments

• Let's compare torque and RPM numbers - horsepower only really matters above 4,000 rpm, which I don't think I've ever been north of in my old outdated Grand Marquis.

Let's stick to V-8's - the V-6 automobiles are all rather interchangable.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria: 272 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Mercury Grand Marquis: 275 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Buick Lucerne: 295 lbs-ft @ 4400 rpms
    2007 Chevy Impala: 323 lbs-ft @ 4400 rpms
    2007 Pontiac Grand Prix: 323 lbs-ft @ 4400 rpms
    2007 Dodge Charger R/T: 390 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Chrysler 300 C: 390 lbs-ft @ 4000 rpms
    2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8: 420 lbs-ft @ 4800 rpms
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,497
    ... this discussion will be revived once the Pontiac G8 GT V8 arrives....
    Sometime next year....
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    Just wish it had the Overhead Cam engine like the Cad instead of the old VIH that came out in 1949! Kettering was fine then, but today's standards are beyond VIH engines.
  • brit5brit5 Posts: 12
    A bunch of time has passed since euphorium's post but I just noticed it. VIH means valve-in-head -- every modern engine has it's valves in the heads. I think he is referring to OHV -- overhead valve -- a descriptor generally applied to pushrod engines with -- guess what -- valves in head, as opposed to side valves.

Chrysler deliberately designed & engineered a brand new version of their famous
    herispherical combustion chamber OHV engine as a marketing gambit. The valve train layout is not a drawback at all, being every bit as effective for street use as a 2-valve OHC (overhead cam) design & rivals 3 & 4-valve OHC engines in perfortmance.

Chrysler's 3rd generation HEMI V8 is a thoroughly modern, lightweight, low internal friction, low emission, high output engine. It easily outperforms 2-valve OHC competitors (& similar Chrysler stable mates) in every single performance parameter, including specific fuel consumption. It is even cheaper to build than a similar sized high-output OHC V8 (or Chrysler's own old 5.9L OHV V8).

For Chrysler it is a marketing triumph, not only blowing the doors off the competition performance wise, but re-establishing the iconic HEMI name in the modern world.

I briefly had a 426 street Hemi Roadrunner in my youth -- it was fast, furious & totally uncivilised. The modern engine is a pure silk purse in comparison to that massively heavy & fuel gobbling old brute, while being every bit as powerfull on substantially less displacement. Don't pine for another cookie-cutter OHC engine -- this one is the real deal.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    I stand corrected. Thank you. :)
  • jgarryjgarry Posts: 3
    I have a 300C Hemi, I must say, more than $10K off puts it in Accord pricing territory, cylinder deactivation for highway cruising, sunroof, leather, nav, Hemi (well, not really, but they call it that) power for the yee-haw times. Could handle better, could have more power (I come from ZR1-land, so you could say that about anything, and I couldn't see paying another 10K for SRT for daily highway pounding). Overall, I've had better cars, but they were much more expensive, I'm pretty happy right now after 2800 miles.

;)
  • murphy4murphy4 Posts: 92
    low price and lowest financing.............how low will they go. I have 800 credit.........i want best of both worlds...........
2»
This discussion has been closed.