Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

I little premature to talk about 2008 Avalons, but any ideas what new thing might show up on these models.

np

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    They better put in Bluetooth and an I-pod jack. A friend just bought a Camry that was 4K less than my Avalon and it has both. Also think its time for a general "spruce up" maybe some new wheels, front grille ETC.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• It would nice if they upgrade the engine power, it seems like the camry can keep up with Avalon

nick
  • I hope that in 2008, they finally do something with the transmission. It's silly that the Camry offers a more sophisticated tranny than the Avalon.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    You had better be careful what you wish for. Have you checked the Camry boards lately? Lots of complaints about flare and hesitation with the sophisticated six speed transmission.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    although it would seem likely that Toyota would get our HP a little closer to 300, I guess my question would be 'so what if the Camry will outrun an Avalon' it is a smaller and lighter car, the SE Camry a car with some sporting pretensions, the Avalon everything but...
  • I don't know about you guys but I would like to see 2008 Avalon have more luxury wood on the front dash broad and along the auto gear column and on the steering wheel.

Whats with all the crappy retro plastic/silver/grey looking appearance, it looks really cheap!

Now, I would suggest that if the Think Tank of Toyota's designers were attempting to appeal/attract car buyer's in the 28-35 year old crowed by installing all the grey-silver color in the Dash area--well great.

However, how could Toyota just condensendingly (sp) assume that the baby boomer crowed would not miss the luxury wood interior once installed on the last generation of the Avalon.
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Hmmm. Interestingly. I bought an 02 Avalon along time ago now, new, and doesn't have any wood on the dash. I did not want wood on the dash. Is it really wood, veneer or faux???IMO, the only cars that wood looks correct on are the old Rolls Royces and Jags, which ofcourse was real wood. Even my buddy 04 BMW looks ridiculous with the wood on the dash.

Put the money in the quality parts that made Toyotas name for itself. You ask any mechanic now if the new Toyotas are as maintenance free as the old ones and we will get an overwhelming answer.

It is what is inside that counts.

abfisch
  • Or aleast 3rd party options should be available for us to change to trim. I love cherry wood interior, it gives it the taste of richness.

nick
  • rastaman1... I agree.. like you I personally did not care for the silver/grey color tone either.. Also, I wasn't all that crazy about the "honey" colored wood look that is in alot of the current avalons. I have an 07 xls and it just happened to be the only one on the lot that had the "dark" wood applique on the dash and around the gear shift.. from a personal standpoint that was my favorite.. I wish the gear shift handle and steering wheel had the wood applique, but unfortunetly they are both leather wrapped, which is fine with me.

Roland
  • Roland and Nick,

I agree, It would be really nice to see Toyota return to the Cherry Wood interior. The Camary and Avalon owners/customers should at least let their preferences known to Toyota.

Toyota is such a major player in the car industry now, with record sales, it really doesn't have to listen to preference of the customer's who would like to see a return to a luxury appearance of havig a Cherrywood interior.
  • My question is whether any of the Avalon's trim is really wood? Or is it metal or plastic that has been given the appearance of wood? Some comments here refer to "wood applique". The strips on the dash and doors feel like tin plating to me, and the "wood" on the LTD's steering wheel & gear shift knob feels like it might be a plastic composite. A good enough imitation, but it doesn't seem to me that genuine wood has been used anywhere in the Avalon. True?
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    it is plastic 'wood' or FTM plastic 'aluminum' - the Lexus models will kill a few trees.
  • two suggestions for the 2008 Avalon. I am proud to be driving an 07 Avalon, but I wish it had a radio mute button and folding exterior mirrors.
    Many Japanese cars do not have a mute button for the sound system, but if there were one on the steering wheel hub, it would be handy.
    I live in a small city with narrow streets and friends have had their cars mirrors peeled off by careless drivers so the folding type would be great.
  • yankeryanker Posts: 156
    IVE BEEN ASKING FOR THAT SINCE i SHEARED OFF A MIRROR ON A 96 CAMRY. THEY DON'T HEAR US
  • algeealgee Posts: 77
    Just press and hold the volume button on the steering wheel
    :P
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I am not sure if many people know this but if you hold down the "mode" button on the steering wheel, the stereo will power off. That is what I do if I get a phone call, much faster than waiting for the volume to lower.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I guess I'm getting really lazy, but I wonder why when I hit the Memory Seat button after my wife has driven my 06 Avalon Limited, I have to reach up and adjust the rear view mirror. Wouldn't it be nice if that mirror too would adjust to my pre-set location? Also, needed is Bluetooth and rear parking assists.
  • I'm looking for an AWD sedan. Are there any rumors of an AWD Avalon?
  • Hi tjc,

I also hold down the "mode" button on the steering wheel to power off the stereo, but this takes a full couple of seconds; not always possible while steering. And then it takes a while to re-start a CD. I agree that a MUTE button would be good. Even the Scion Xa, for 1/3 the cost, includes a Mute button.

havalong
  • In addition to cumulative FE since last fillup, I'd like to have user selectable options for instantaneous FE and resettable trip FE, independent from timing of fillups.

I expect to keep my 2005 Av for 4-5 more years, so model year 2011-12 would work for me. But, might as well provide it in 2008, this will give some time to iron out any wrinkles.

Thanks! ;)