Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• nceencee Posts: 419
    I can say this.

I had the low beam bulbs replaced at my local dealer (Under warranty) and it didn't take but 3 minutes per side.

Skip
  • bobbb1bobbb1 Posts: 2
    How much did they charge you Skip?
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Posts: 36
    The Touring has 9011 bulbs for high beam and HID D4R bulbs for low beam. If both of your high beams don't work then it's most likely a fuse or another problem. Take it to the dealer for warranty work.

I took my '08 touring in because the battery wouldn't hold a charge and they said there is nothing wrong with the battery or the charging system.

Fast forward to last week and the battery was dead AGAIN! So I took it in this time for a battery drain problem. They checked it out and said the headlights/parking lights weren't programmed to turn off right and killing the battery. OK.

So I let the car sit for a week and the batter still died. SO.. I started poking around myself and was going to hook up an ammeter to the battery and start pulling fuses until I found where the problem was. BUT, before I did I opened the hatch between the seats and sure enough the light in the trunk was stuck on. Now I'm taking it back to the dealer and telling him to fix the trunk switch. Hope that fixes it for sure...

Ain't cars wonderful.... oh, I just got my recall notice this week too so I'm going to talk to them about scheduling a recall appointment too even though I'm not convinced the pedal is the problem.
  • lewgeorlewgeor Posts: 3
    What do you think the clickin noise is on my 2008 avalon touring coming from engine. Purchased in Jan 010 with 40,000 still under warranty. I took it to a dealer and they said those types of engines run loud. They said they suspect the VVT-I gear assembly, R&R bank 1 valve cover inspected, all checked normal. It clicks while it is parked while car turned on. It does not make a clicking sound in the morning when I start the car up. I heard Toyota had a service butlletin concerning this.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    If there is a service bulletin about this problem your service guy should've seen it & corrected it. If you google Toy Avy service bulletins you can find out for yourself.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I really think its the fuel injectors you are hearing. You wouldn't hear it in the morning when the car is on fast idle. However, when the car is fully warmed up and the engine is idling low it is possible to hear that clicking sound the fuel injectors make. I know on my 06 Avalon I could. Also, if it was something wrong with the engine it would most certainly be worse when first started. What I would do is have someone in the car with the transmission in park rev the engine to around 1800-2000 RPM and hold it there. If the sounds goes away it is the injectors (well it didn't go away you just can't hear it anymore over the sound of the engine)

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I got three different recall notices today on my 08 Touring.
  • lewgeorlewgeor Posts: 3
    what were the recalls. I did not get anything but took mine to a dealer. He looked at the accelerator and said that one was the recall so he fixed it. Other than the recall on accelerator, what was the other two?
  • mlinggamlingga Posts: 58
    After two months of waiting for the official Toyota letter I finally was told by their customer svc folks that they could not tell me when the letter was coming, but that some dealers were doing the "sticking pedal" recall without the letter. She said though that they would NOT do the "floor mat" recall without a letter. She stated they were sending out about 10,000 letters a day. (BTW, I find it incredible that it will take a vaunted company like Toyota months just to send out a bunch of letters. Let's see: take database. Print letters. Mail. And they can't figure out how to do that faster?)

Well, I called my dealer and lo and behold, they will do BOTH recalls without the letter. Then, to my surprise, like stoneybrook, i was informed of a THIRD recall which has been totally unpublicized to my knowledge. It involves a problem with an oil hose, though they did not tell me more than that. The three recalls will be an all day affair as they said the engine must be completely cooled off before they can remove the oil line.

On the bright side, I figure if my car starts to accelerate out of control, the oil line will rupture and the engine will die, saving my life :-)
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I got three recalls last week for my 2008 Avalon Ltd. One was for the accelerator (had it done), two was for the oil line (had it done), and 3 was for the floor mat/accelerator (have not had that done).

If you read the floor mat recall it indicates that under the right conditions all they do is inspect your mat and if it's a Toyota mat and properly installed they only have to up grade the computer so the car slows down if you touch the brake and accelerator at the same time at high speed.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Posts: 83
    edited March 2010
    WE ARE UP TO FOUR NOW!
    (1) The all weather floor mats will be replaced if they are the "old style".
    (2) The gas pedal will be shortened and they dig out part of the carpet to prevent a mat from holding the throttle depressed. I've seen this. It looks like a rat chewed on your pedal and carpet.
    (3) A new fitting (bushing) will be added to the linkage to prevent sticking pedal.
    (4) A new rubber coupling will be added to the vvvti oil line. I will insist on the line that is used in the Lexus engine. It is ALL metal.
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    What is the "old style" mat? I bought my rubber Avalon mats in '08.
  • Your guess is as good as mine! I purchased a new 08 Touring and the all-weather mats last Summer. The car is with me, in Texas. The mats are in my garage in Pennsylvania.
    Where to start.

On cruise control 3 different times, it sped up all by itself.

The brake pedal had to be pumped on 5-7 occasions (when first applied it went to the floor)

The car would excel all by itself. Not a hugh amount, but it made me pay attention each time.

It did act like it had water or something in the gas a few times (bucking and surging).

I couldn't get the radio to get any classical music stations south of New York? (Just kidding - it's true but I'm not blaming the car:)

The trip was from Maine to Florida, with a dozen or so stops in between (Scranton, PA, Savanna, GA, Charleston, SC, Charlotte, NC, Tampa, FL to name a few stops.)

The good news is, none of these things caused me to have an accident. It made me drive a bit more careful thou.

MPG seemed pretty much like it has been 28 - 30 MPG highway. It might have been better with summer tires, but those aren't that good, so I keep me snow tires on. Not to mention with the crazy weather we have been haing, I was concerned I might run into a snow storm on the trip.

Skip
  • doug3030doug3030 Posts: 20
    Do you have the laser cruise control on your car? I was somewhat surprized after getting my Limited and used the cruise control the first time. I didn;t realize it went into laser control initially and when the road ahead was clear, it sped up automatically. Kind of scary at first but used to it now and enjoy it on long trips.Perhaps you got some bad gas causing the bucking, etc.
    Great thought, but no, I don't have laser controlled cruise. As for the bad gas, I'm hoping that's all it is, but the fact that it happen so many different times throughout out the trip, I'm thinking it's not.

I'm wondering more about the fuel filter. I have an appointment the 7th, and hopefully they can find something. I'm not holding out to much for it (those sometimes yes, sometimes no problems are so damn hard to fix).

Skip
  • I identified this condition in an earlier post. When I took the car in for servicing this problem the service guy said use it in the standard mode.
    I'm not sure I understand the response. Could you please post your earlier response or clear this one up for me.

Skip
  • cantchipcantchip Posts: 1
    i purchased my 2008 Toyota Av in February 2008. My left headlight went out in June 2009. A computer box and bulb was replaced under warranty. April 15th 2010 my right headlight has gone out and dealership states that since my car has 44k miles that it is no longer in warranty. Keep in mind that my 3 years has not expired but the miles exceeded 36k. It does not seem right to me that i will have to pay $800 + dollars to have this fixed and if I do when will this happen again! I am very dissatisfied with my selection of cars. Thought that Toyota was the best money could buy.
  • mlinggamlingga Posts: 58
    Have you reviewed the earlier posts on this issue? If you have an Av with the HID headlights (i.e. the self-leveling headlights on the Limited model) then this is absolutely typical and expected. The HID bulbs are extremely short-lived, and I and others have replaced theirs as well around the same time as yours.

Do review the earlier posts as they really cover the issue completely. In particular, look for a post containing a copy of the letter from Toyota in which they admit that the problem was the bulbs, NOT the computer controller, and that, at least for Prius owners, they would refund the cost of any computer box replaced (though yours was under warranty so no harm there).

You will also see that you can purchase the HID bulds (D4R's if I recall correctly) online from multiple sources at much less (mine were about $100 for a pair). I was also able to have the bulbs installed by a local body shop, rather than the Toyota dealer, for another $100 or so, so my total cost was $200, NOT the $800 my dealer quoted me.
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Instead of self-leveling headlamps, why not have a self-leveling suspension? My DTS, Lucerne, and now my Town Car has this feature. No embarrassment when you take a few friends home from the all-you-can-eat Chinese Grand Buffet.
  • My 2008 Avalon touring nneds:.
    (1) The all weather floor mats will be replaced if they are the "old style".
    (2) The gas pedal will be shortened and they dig out part of the carpet to prevent a mat from holding the throttle depressed. (3) A new fitting will be added to the linkage to prevent sticking pedal and the computer will be reflashed.. (4) A new rubber coupling will be added to the vvvti oil line. I insisted on the line that is used in the Lexus engine. It is ALL metalI. Two weeks ago I Told the service manager, that I would pay the difference in cost to have the all metal Lexus line installed-even gave him the part number and told him I would need a loaner while they complete all the above the work. (3 hours) I'm STILL waiting for a call.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    HID ballasts (computer box) are quite sensitive to 12 volt supply voltage so be sure the battery is in good shape. Try switching them on AFTER starting the engine so they don't have to "re-fire" after the starting voltage sag.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    This would apply to any car using the HID/ballast headlights. The system probably has a voltage regulator built in to protect it during operation.. but the start-up drop would tax the system to the limit especially with a weak battery. Excellent idea, start the car, then turn on the lights, might make things last a lot longer... :)
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 230
    StoneyB, stick to your guns on the metal oil line. In my region (Gulf States Toyota) service managers have been told by Toyota to replace the metal line under warranty if the customer pays for the new metal oil line at the parts department. The metal line, installed on my Avalon, cost me $30 and change!

Apparently some service managers/dealers are doing everything short of double back flips to keep from installing the metal line that is the only real fix for this problem. More "Toyota logic" I guess.
  • Dad's 2009 Avalon backs out of the garage, but misbehaves when put in drive. The engine revs but the car moves forward little if any for a few seconds. After that, it is OK. This only happens after a cold start such as first thing in the morning. I hear the dealer claims this is completely normal, but no other Avalon I've driven (including my own and others that I tested when buying) behaves this way. All the recall work was performed, and this problem presented shortly after the second recall where the pedal and floor are addressed along with the electronic override of the throttle if the brake is applied. It seems concerning in light of whatever electronic gremlins may yet be involved in throttle response, and I can't believe his dealer's response. Any insight on this is appreciated.
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Posts: 36
    edited April 2010
    Go to a different dealer as that one is really stupid.
    Your problem sounds like classic low transmission fluid level and the dealer should have checked the transmission. Before you back out, try putting the car in Drive with your foot on the brake for a few seconds. That should pump fluid through the drive valves and charge the system. If it works I'd really suspect low transmission fluid level.

The transmission is only serviced every 100,000 miles and my '08 doesn't even have a stick to measure it with so you'll have to take it to a dealer. Not the original dealer, though.

Hope it works out for you,
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    I've got a rental Avalon for a few days. i wanted to zero out the average fuel economy, but couldn't figure out how to do it. i dropped by a Toyota dealership,and they said it goes back to zero when you fill it up, but that it can't be reset manually....is this true?
    Do the rear seats fold down?
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    That is true: the mpg cannot be reset manually. The rear seats recline 10 degrees, however, they do not fold down as the only pass through from the cabin to the trunk is the small area behind the middle arm rest.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Posts: 83
    I had the Lexus oil line installed by the dealer yesterday. $21 for the metal line and $80 for installation.