Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• I'm considering purchasing a new or 06 or later Avalon. I want the JBL sound system and XM radio. It is easy to tell when they have the JBL radio. It is usually advertised as having it, or you can see in the picture of the radio. However, on used models, is there any way to figure out if it is equipped for XM radio? Did they even come with this option? From some of the research I did it looked like you could add it for 700.00 parts and labor. Given the unique shape of the radio, it seems like it would be difficult for an aftermarket place to do anything to it at all.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Try looking for the antenna on/near the trunk.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• I have an '08 with XM Radio and 3 times now within the last couple of months the audio will fade in an out and then go dead. The information for the station, song, etc. is still displayed. I can fix this by stopping the car and restarting it. FM and AM will work while this is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Buy the avalon you want, ignoring the radio which can be purchased aftermarket and generally a substantial improvement over ANY OEM radio. Beancounters, you know.

Ambient NOISE in an automobile while underway is typically ABOVE 70db, and that's the figure for a Lexus. Enjoy your home system and forget about any reasonable level of high fidelity in ANY automobile, it just ain't gonna happen..!
  • Buy the avalon you want, ignoring the radio which can be purchased aftermarket and generally a substantial improvement over ANY OEM radio. Beancounters, you know.

That is what I was hoping to hear. My concern though is how would this all integrate in an Avlalon. Where would the display go? Could you still keep the steering wheel controls working? Could I keep standard radio control buttons that match the rest of the Interior? And, if I could add some IPOD integration as a bonus, that would be nice. Would it make more sense to talk to a Best Buy type place, or go to a shop that specializes in this?
    replacing the radio in the Avalon is a nightmare. You have to relocate the head unit to the trunk so that the display still works for the other functions. From there I would have to think you have to get/ (make?) a harness to tap into the factory amps. Honestly, just find one with the JBL, get a peripheral electronics IPOD interface and call it done. I do not believe you can have SAT and the IPOD together but most aftermarket SAT receivers have FM modulators that work OK.

• Not sure about prior years but the '08 comes with an auxiliary minijack outlet in the console that allows you to plug your iPod in directly to the JBL sound system. Works great for audiobooks, my main use.

I have been quoted $550 by my local dealer to install the factory XM tuner which I did not get initially. Don't know if that means you lose the Aux jack for iPod though.
    The 05 through 07 year Avalons didn't have an Ipod jack from the factory. If you wanted it you had to go aftermarket (like I did). I see no reason why you would lose the AUX jack on your '08 if you add factory XM. With the older models I am pretty sure adding the interface for Ipod uses the same port as the factory XM.

• You are not alone. The same thing has happened to me 3 or 4 times in the 5 months I've had my Avalon.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    To be used in Maine / New England? What have folks found they like and why?

I'm looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak, any thoughts on these? I had Dunlop Graspics on the Camry and they seemed to work fine.

Didn't know but the Avalon being a bit larger and heavier, if there might be a tire most folks buy.

Skip
  • rik4rik4 Posts: 90
    i would look at nokians . i have them now and they really hold the road in the winter. you know a finnish tire will be good in the winter with all the snow they get in finland.
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I just returned from a trip to Utah from Arkansas (cruising in my Avalon) and ran into a situation I have never encountered in decades of driving and using credit cards. I stopped a a Shell station on the way home in Gallup, NM, and when I put my Shell card in the pump it asked for my Zip Code. I put it in and it was rejected. The station said that was because I wasn't local. I went a half mile down the road and got gas without a problem at another station. The same thing happened at a Pilot station in Amarillo, TX, however, this time my Zip was OK.

As I said, I have never encountered this before and was wondering how common this is in other parts of the country.

Ted
  • mlinggamlingga Posts: 58
    Pretty common in our area (Georgia). Surprised it was rejected though: my understanding was that the zip is matched against your billing zip code as an additional security measure, not to somehow prevent "foreigners" from getting gas!
    About two or three years ago this zip code requirement popped up around here. I have never been refused but I have recieved calls from the security dept if I suddenlly "pop up" in a remote area and use my card.
    The USPS changed our zip code and for awhile the new one wouldn't "pass" and I had to still use the old one to get approval.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    I was told that each business can set it up how they want, and some don't want to deal with payment issues from out of state folks.

My CC processing company told me it was against the law, but that with no checks and balances in place, folks will be able to get away with this kind of stuff for some time to come.

As pointed out, folks will need to remember, they are asking for the billing address zip code.

My office is in one city, yet I live in another - 2 different zip codes, and if you don't get it right within the first few tries, I was told it may lock you out?

Skip
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Thanks to all for these comments. Being retired we travel and visit, mostly the SE states. Credit card is the only way we pay for gas. Never had this happen but the advance warning is nice. Again, thanks.... :)
    Just as a side note I emailed Shell Oil and they sent the following reply: "Our review indicates your experience occurred at one of our independently owned and operated locations. Please be assured that we have formally recorded your feedback and the appropriate party will be notified."

Next time I'm in Gallup I'll see if things have changed.
  • Not really related directly to this story, but kind of a side bar that some of you might find interesting. A few months back my wife stopped at our neighborhood Exxon station to fill up.. she used her speed pass ( little wand like instrument that turns on the pump and records your purchase to your account - basically the same thing as a credit card ). Anyway she fills up her tank and then drives home.. 10 minutes later there's a deputy sheriff ringing our doorbell saying that the clerk at the exxon station had taken my wife's license number down and reported her for driving off without paying for her gas... Well my wife, now furious and embarassed, is led to the police car where he takes her back to the gas station - where upon the clerk inside the store i.d.'s my wife as the "thief" ( her words ) who stole the gas. My wife asked the clerk if she was in the habit of leaving the pumps "on".. of course she said no the pump was not on, so then my wife asks her, "if the pump was not on, and I didn't use my speed pass or credit card, how the hell was I able to get the pump on and fill up my car? With that, the Sheriff's deputy said this is ridiculous and returns my wife home with an apology for bothering her. When I heard about it I saw red!!! Couldn't believe it, asked my wife to go back down to the station with me and point out the person who accused her of stealing gas, but she said she was so mad she couldn't remember who it was... However from her description I had an idea of who it was ( since we buy our gas there all the time ). Next time I got gas, I used my speedpass and then before driving off, went inside ( while this clerk was working ) and asked them if my speed pass had gone thru... He then proceeds to tell me "when you use your speed pass" you don't have to come in the store...That's what I was waiting for because I then said well my wife used her speed pass in her a day or so before and whoever the crack head &%#&^(&% ( cant really use that language here ) was on duty tried to have my wife arrested, and I just wanted to make sure that same %$&^# wasn't on duty today... The look on his face was priceless... He was shakin....I sent exxon an email and about 3 weeks later she got a call from that stations' distributor where one of the managers apologized to my wife.. That's really all she wanted was an apology. She was embarassed that neighbors saw her being put in a squad car and then driven away... thank goodness he didn't cuff her. By the way, we don't buy our gas there anymore.....that's my story... sorry it took so long....

Roland
    I have a Speed Pass and this experience of your wife's is a good reminder to be careful. It's no longer like 'the good old days' when you handed cash to the attendant who filled your tank. A receipt might have solved the problem right away. You can go to the Exxon/Mobil web site and set up your Speed Pass to always give a receipt.