Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• erhafterhaft Posts: 3
    I will check the doublecheck the fog/riving light activation. Aren't they supposed to automatically turn off anyway when you activate the high beam via the stalk? I was driving with the high beams when they both went out.
  • if you have the high beams on and turn on the driving/fog lights the high beams turn off.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I suspect you have that just a bit backwards.

If you turn on the high beam the fog lights will go off.

Most asian origin cars only allow the fog lights to be operated when the low beams are on. European origin allows fog lights to be operated alone, the only way they can be of any real use/value.

While US origin was once the same as europe the asian OEM suppliers (Denso US, etc,) operating as vendors to US manufacturers have had an adverse influence on that.
  • Hi,
    Both my high beam bulbs "blew up" last week. Dealer confirmed there is a Service Bulletin (TSB-0044-10). Cost to replace both assemblies was $2,400. Toyota agreed to pick up 2/3 of the cost. I paid the $800 but am beginning my research to this obvious design defect. Seems like with a service bulletin and enough similar situations that we have a very strong case.
    Total Toyota aggravation, but I'm fairly confident that I'll win the battle.

TSB-0044-10 Summary:
    TOYOTA: HIGH BEAM/DRL BULB INOPERATIVE. ON SOME VEHICLES, THE HIGH BEAM/DRL BULB MAY BECOME INOPERTIVE OR SHATTER. A NEWLY DESIGNED HIGH BEAM/DRL HOUSING ASSEMBLY (INCLUDING THE APPLICABLE BULB) IS AVAILABLE IN THE EVENT THIS CONDITION H ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10033406 )
  • kbetts1kbetts1 Posts: 36
    I just don't know what to say to the high beam "blow up" scenario. The high beams are standard bulbs, not HID. Headlights are a simple circuit compared to something running on the CAN bus and much more than the lights would be dead. There is no failure I can imagine that would cost $2400 unless it required removing the dash and rewiring the car. Even then, it's much simpler to hack the wiring and run an alternate circuit to the high beams that could be designed and installed by any half way competent car electronics guy for $200 at most.

These are simple light bulbs and switches with a couple of relays.... $2400 is absurd.
    edited October 2010
    $2,400,...Wow, did that dealer see you coming.

That might be a good number (although too high for even that IMMHO) for replacing both HID headlight assmblies, but halogen...??

NEVER...!

It has long been known that operation, long term operation, of halogen bulbs for DRLs using sub-standard voltages, 5-6 volts vs 12, results in sooting of the interior of the bulb's glass encapsulation, heat trapping soot, and subsequent melting of the glass encapsulation.

But "blew up", I think not.

The only damage I have personally seen from this was limited to the high beam bulb itself and I simply replaced the bulbs, disabled the factory DRL circuit and substituted a pair of 3W LEDs.

I suggest you ask the dealer for a FULL refund, and/or notify Toyota Corporate, or take the dealer to small claims court if no one offers any satisfaction.
  • mlinggamlingga Posts: 58
    Has anyone else experienced repeated problems with the TPMS? This is the third time the low pressure warning light has come on despite good pressures in all tires. The system was fixed, in some unknown way, once under warranty. The second time, it was out of warranty and I paid around $200 for a new sensor. Knowing my dealer, that was a ripoff. Now we're at it for the third time.

The reason I'm particularly concerned is that our other car, an '07 Lexus GS350, appears to have the same TPMS as the Avvy, and it also has a false warning light on. I've tried to reset that TPMS following the manual's instructions, but I do not get the message confirming that it was reset. Is there any known issue with the Toyota TPMS (other than how lousy it is compared to my Suburban's system, which reads out the exact pressure in each tire on a real time basis, and has never failed in 90.000 miles of driving).?
    "..all tires.." Including the spare..?
  • My left headlight (HID) went out at 31,000 miles on Avalon Limited. Dealer replaced it for free.
  • There is a service bulletin (documented in many places) - the whole assembly is defective, so their diagnosis was correct, but my having to pay for any of it isn't right. I already began my calls, emails etc. and the dealer is now working with Toyota of America. We shall see.
    "..the whole assembly is defective.."

I doubt that, sincerely doubt it. In any case the dealer had the option of simply replacing the highdeam/drl bulbs, the TSB is not covered under a warranty extension and is clearly NOT mandatory.

Ask the dealer what damage is done by the highbeam/DRL bulb "blowing out".

Since acting on the TCB is not mandatory and only applies under specific complaints, "don't ask, don't tell" (unless the owner complains don't ask, don't volunteer any TSB information)
  • Has anyone had a problem with the lock mechanism for the telescopic steering wheel. On several occasions have noticed that when I grab the wheel the wheel moves forward(from the locked fully extended position) and the lever is not in the locked position. Am very careful not to hit it with my knee or any other object.
  • jpm1908jpm1908 Posts: 17
    Yes - The bloody thing is often loose! My only other complaint about this car is that it is the worst car in the snow in automotive history!
  • jpm1908jpm1908 Posts: 17
    I find my 08 Avalon to be ABSOLUTELY less capable in the snow than my old 96 Mercedes. The 2008 Avalon inexplicably does not permit the driver to disengage the traction control. The 08 Avalon is horrible in the snow!
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    I couldn't agree more. For me it's the amount of comfort I have or in this case don't have, driving my Avalon in the snow.

Without thinking real hard about it, I would say it's the worst car in the snow I've owned - out of 41 cars! That's not saying much.

Now many of the cars I've had over 30 + years did have studded snow tires, so those might not count.

Skip
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Way to many times have I hit that damn thing when getting into the car. One of just a few things I don't like about this car.

Skip
    edited October 2010
    Your '96 Mercedes was undoubtedly RWD, your Avalon is a patently UNSAFE FWD when driven on ANY slippery surface.

Automotive manufacturers seem to be becoming more and more aware of that fact as the years go by. Or perhaps the automative insurance companies are sharing some statistical information RWD vs FWD.

So NO, while you can safely turn off TC in a RWD or R/awd vehicle and still maintain directional control even with the rear wheels spinning madly, virtually NO traction, that situation in a FWD or F/awd vehicle is totally another matter.

Having said that I see no harm in allowing the TC function to be turned off when stopped or traveling slowly. Provided it is automatically re-enabled after a short time period or having reached a decent road speed.
  • I have the same problem with my steering wheel column collapsing. Usually notice it when breaking hard.the worst time for a steering wheel problem. Estimate it has happened about 5x since buying car in May 2008. I told dealer in August 2010 and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Of course not. I now check the locking mechanism every time I drive the car.
  • pjc29pjc29 Posts: 1
    In my 2008 Toyota Avalon, I lost my High Beams and my left low beam headlights. Upon checking bulbs, both High Beam 9011H1R1 bulbs blew out (shattered). I found the TSB notice on line (TSB-0044-10) and went to Toyota seeking Toyota to fix the defect. They told me the cost was $2,400 to replace both headlight assemblies. They did offer to split the cost 50/50 with me but I declined stating that it was a defect and was occurring in 2008, 2009 and 2010 Toyota Avalon. In other words, it was a design defect and they should fix it for free.

Toyota declined stating it was NOT a recall but a TSB. Not a happy camper at the moment.

There is also a NHTSA number on this defect #10033406
  • Hi,
    Recommend that you just keep hammering on the dealer to get Toyota to cover the full cost. I had the EXACT same thing happen. Toyota's original offer to me was 2/3 - 1/3. I did do the repair and paid the 1/3. But I went back to them explaining the many actions available to me, none of which would be good for Toyota's already tarnished image. They ultimately reimbursed me for 100% of the cost. Be persistent. Good luck.