Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon 2008-2010

Comments

• nceencee Posts: 419
    are the Fog Lamps on the 2011 Avalon, does anyone know?

I'm trying to find some brighter ones, but don't really know, if there brighter, because I don't know
    how bright stock ones are.

Skip
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    With "true" fog lamps the beam pattern is intentionally low and wide, mostly only "close-in" lighting, so brigtness isn't usually considered a fog light performance factor.

Due to state laws regulating how and when they can be used, useful, they are really only there for "ricer" BLING purposes.
  • jmmckjmmck Posts: 9
    Hey everyone with headlight issues. You should have received a letter from Toyota about this and what to do to correct it. I got mine 11/7/11. It also addresses what to do if you have already had the fix done (as in many of our cases). So this is good news seems like. They finally acknowledged a problem with headlights in these particular Avalons.
  • dannyb3 or others who have studied this headlight issue (wwest et al):

So, I just got my letter today. My big problems have really been three:
    1) frequent burnouts of the HID low beams
    2) malfunction of the autolevelers leaading my dealer to tell me the headlight assemblies needed replacement
    3) frequent burnout of the high beams (working on third set)

So, the extended warranty is on the "bulb housing assemblies." Dannyb3, it sounds like this will fix both problems #2 and #3--in other words, does the new assembly also fix the auto leveler as well as the exploding high beam bulbs?

I am assuming I'm still stuck with the short-lived HID bulbs. Better than nothing, or the $2600 my dealer wanted from me.
  • sury1sury1 Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Does this extended warranty covers only high beam. Actually I have this issue with low beam lights. My dealer turned me down. I hardly use high beam lights.
    I believe HID bulbs are on low beam and normal bulbs on high beam. Myn 2008 avalon touring.
  • jmmckjmmck Posts: 9
    The letter says High Beam and DRL only since they are on the same bulb. The low beam is mentioned but says this condition does not affect the low beam so I assume only the High Bean and Daylite Running Lights are covered.
  • I spent 90 minutes on the phone with Toyota USA yesterday because I have had this issue with my low beams as well. I'm about to replace the 2nd one already on my 2008 Avalon. I replaced one in 2010. They said they have not had enough customer complaints to have it rise to an warranty extension issue. Unbelievable! These are expensive to replace and are supposed to last longer than normal head lamps. They have a supplier problem, an installation problem, or a system problem (i.e. wiring harness). They need to fix it or they need a class action lawsuit brought to get them off their butts!
  • @jpal: I am totally sympathetic as I've gone through two rounds of replacing both HID bulbs on my '08 Limited. It is CLEARLY a design flaw as there is no way HID bulbs should require replacement every two years. Not to mention the incredibly stupid design that makes replacement an incredibly difficult process.

The amount of incompetence in the '08 headlight design is staggering. I just had both high beam headlight assemblies replaced under the new extended warranty (thank god I had 69.6K miles on, as the extension was good only to 70K miles). The "list price" of these units was something like $2000, fortunately replaced at no cost, though as usual, thanks to a series of dealer mistakes ("Oh, I thought we were nly supposed to replace the BULBS--followed by "Oh sorry, we only got the LEFT assembly shipped in time, you'll have to come back for the fourth time to get them done) it was a fiasco.

I'll try to remember to call Toyota cust svc to lodge complaint about the HID bulbs, but I don't have much hope. Make sure you get the high beam assemblies replaced under warranty. All it takes to authorize the replacement is at least one high beam bulb having burned out at any prior point. That's at least one headlight problem hopefully fixed.
  • 2009 Avalon with 60 K miles. Dealer wants to change brake fluid, change power steering fluid, recharge AC (although it is working fine), and clean throttle body. The owners manual does not say that any of this is needed. Is this an effort to collect money for unneeded services or is the owner's manual bad? Appreciate your thoughts.
  • I would find another dealer. Obviously this one is trying to make his living doing unecessary maintenance. An Avalon (or any other vehicle) should not need any routine maintenance not called out in the owner's manual.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Changing the brake fluid is somethiung many people suggest (holds moisture) and cleaning the throttle body may or may not be needed. The other two blow my mind. If the A/C is cooling the car don't touch it and I have never heard of changing power steering fluid.

When I had my Avalon the dealer tried to get me to replace my front brakes at every oil change over 20K. I got rid of it (lease ended) at 35K on those same brakes.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• kbetts1kbetts1 Posts: 36
    It's called enhanced maintenance. It's not required most drivers unless they drive in a lot of stop and go traffic. You'll notice the difference and your car will last longer but it's up to you if it's worth it. Base your decision on how you drive and how long you want to keep the car.

Your dealer isn't trying to screw you any more than the McDonald's guy asking if you want fries with your order.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Charging the A/C on a 2009? Its a closed system, so its either leaking and needs to be repaired or they are "fishing" for uneeded service.

I also have NEVER changed out PS fluid on any vechicle and not once have I had any steering pump/rack problems. (Aside from a pump seal on a brand new 03 Avalon)

The other two things could have some benefit, but not what I mentioned.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Do you change your oil at 3000 or at 5000? Same thing is going on here. It's based on your driving and need. If you plan on keeping the car enhanced maintenance is recommended by most experts.

A/C has a lubricants pkg in it that wears out just like all lubricants. Also, most systems have pinhole leaks and seals that leak slightly. Every auto parts store sells a top off kit.

Power steering fluid is also a subject to break down. A high pressure power steering system such as Ford uses will break down sooner but they all will need changing around 100,000 miles.

The key here is engine hours and climate. If you live in very hot or very cold your car needs maintenance sooner normal. If you have heavy stop and go traffic your car will need maintenance (60,000 miles of stop and go requires the engine to be on MUCH longer than 60,000 miles of highway).

The throttle body cleaning depends on the quality of fuel you buy. Always getting the cheapest? Plan on a throttle body cleaning. If you buy Tier 1 fuels and put some fuel system cleaner in the last tank of gas before an oil change then you almost certainly don't need it.

Changing the brake fluid every three years is pretty smart. Same thing for the transmission fluid (60,000 vs 100,000)

We're talking three years and who knows how many hours of engine use so none of what this dealer is recommending is out of line or "crazy."
  • Your dissertation on "enhanced maintenance" is mind boggling! I think that the majority of knowledgable vehicle owners on this thread would agree that this dealer is proposing maintenance work that is added and unnecessary expense for the average vehicle.

With your line of thinking, I would change the 100K spark plugs in my Avalon at 30K (like we did in the 1960s), and expect the engine to perform better and last longer!

I have never read anything about "enhanced maintenance"in a Toyota owners manual, and they seem to be pretty thorough.
    Changing the brake fluid, power steering fluid, and flushing the throttle body is just good sense, IMO and not "MIND BOGGLING" unless your mind is easily boggled. Those items are pretty cheap to do and can save a lot of problems down the road. The dealer may have found them to be a reasonable use of maintenance dollars to solve issues common for their customers .

The maintenance schedule is required to keep the warranty on your vehicle, not to meet the vehicle maintenance needs. There is a huge difference.

What Toyota says is;
    "
    Import notices for special conditions

Driving conditions: The type and frequency of maintenance your Toyota requires depends on how you drive, as well as the environmental conditions in which you drive. Check with your Toyota dealer to schedule the appropriate level of service for your vehicle.

Special Operating Conditions: In addition to standard maintenance items, additional services should be performed on vehicles that are driven under certain conditions.

Specific conditions require specific services. Please refer to your vehicle's Owner's Manual, Owner's Manual Supplement or Scheduled Maintenance Guide for details.

Warranty: Repairs and adjustments to your vehicle caused by lack of proper maintenance are not covered under your new vehicle warranty. In addition, repairs and adjustments caused by improper maintenance or the use of fluids other than those specified in your Owner's Manual are not covered under your warranty."

The REQUIRED 60,000/72 month MAINTENANCE for warranty is :

Replace cabin air filter
    Replace engine air filter
    Replace engine oil and filter 1
    Rotate tires
    Inspect the following:
    Automatic transmission fluid
    Ball joints and dust covers
    Brake lines and hoses
    Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 4
    Drive belts 5
    Drive shaft boots
    Engine coolant 3
    Exhaust pipes and mountings
    Front differential oil
    Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
    Fuel tank cap gasket
    Radiator and condenser
    Steering gear box
    Steering linkage and boots

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving on Dirt Roads or Dusty Roads
    Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Applicable Footnotes:
    1) Reset the oil replacement reminder light ("MAINT REQD") or the message "OIL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED" on the multi-information display after engine oil replacement.
    3) Refer to "Engine Coolant" in the "Explanation of Maintenance Items" section in the back of this guide for more information.
    4) Inspect thickness measurement and disc runout.
    5) Initial inspection at 60,000 miles/72 months. Inspect every 15,000 miles/18 months thereafter.
  • Exactly what my manual says. The big discussion is about arbitrarily "replacing" fluids, "cleaning" the throttle body, etc., as opposed to "inspect" as the manual states. At the current dealer fluids and labor cost, the difference is probably pushing $1000.

This is just a philosophical discussion about how much money should be spent to keep a vehicle running properly under normal operating conditions. The original posted question did not mention anything out of the ordinary, just an owner who asked about a dealer wanting an extra $1000 or so from him. I still vote NO!
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    More thoughts: Some owners change brake fluid every 3 years or whenever they reline brakes twice or at some other preset time. Good idea, but yours should not be due quite yet. I changed mine at 3 years and the first brake reline on an '07 Limited. PS fluid? Never changed it in my driving lifetime unless a pump or seal failed, that's happened once, since 1959.... recharge a normal working AC unit? why? You can, call it preventive.. I never have, see no point.
    Cleaning a throttle body is necessary more often if you use cheap fuel but it can be necessary also as a function of time. Too soon on your car if it runs good and you buy decent gas... my opinions...... enjoy the Avalon.
    The throttle body sometimes gets dirty from the exhaust gas recirculation system. Some cars are worse hothers. I don't know about the Avalon other than the throttle body was cited as a possible cause of un-intended acceleration problems. I sure don't want to open that can of worms.

Here is an article on when and why you should change your brake fluid...

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

Here is an article on when and why you should change your power steering fluid....

http://cars.cartalk.com/content/advice/powersteering.html

More articles...

http://cars.cartalk.com/content/advice/l
  • Is there a way to reset the entire program?