Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Electrical Problems

Comments

• rkamath1rkamath1 Posts: 1
    cassiejane,

Thank you so much!!! Your info on the odometer switch saved me a lot of stress and money.

I used to wonder a lot of times why people put in so much time and effort in posting on forums. Today, it actually ended up helping me (thanks to you)!
  • walebankwalebank Posts: 3
    I think my wife left the headlights or door out for hours and the our 1999 Toyota Sienna van would not start. I took the battery out to recharge at Autozone. Put back the battery and the car started but all dashboard lights including the gauges (speed, fuel) are not working. My wife took it to a mechanic and he tried to replace some fuses (10. 30) in the engine fusebox but the kept blowing up. He told us to take it to check wiring? Can have some suggestions on what to do before I get over charges? Thanks and God bless.
  • walebankwalebank Posts: 3
    Need to add that the AC, power windows, Radio are not working as well. The vehicle also lost power as I was exiting from freeway. I had it in park and it started again. But signal, dashboard lights, AC, radio, power windows etc are not working. Alternator problem?
  • batavia02batavia02 Posts: 38
    edited June 2011
    we have a 2010 sienna purchased 11-09 brand new 2 months agothe power door locks on drivers door quit, now we have a dead battery,my wife jumped it from our other car let it run for 20 mins charging came back home last nite and it was dead again, it has 38000 miles on it dealer said it is battery,i should not have to replace a battery at 38000 miles so much for toyota reliabilty i am going back to gm , has anyone else had a battery issue
  • blarablara Posts: 1
    Can you please detail the steps to remove the fuse block? I am having exactly the same problem with my 99 Sienna. I have removed the knee bolster and can see the fuse block, but am not sure how to remove the fuse block to access the relay integration attached at the back of the fuse block.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    In favor of FE newer design batteries are made as light and small as reasonably possible, so 38,000 miles of service might be as expected. Also depends largely on the number and depth of charge/discharge cycles.

New battery is ~$80 at Costco.
  • isabella3isabella3 Posts: 1
    A couple of weeks ago my dash light went off but headlights etc were on. Now - thanks to a fuse the dash lights are on. Now the headlights won't come on. two relays next to battery were changes, fuses checked - ok headlamps replaced - ok but no lights. Is thre another resistor to check yet
    Sincerely
    Eileen Rutledge
  • The lights on the cluster do not work correctly with the headlight switch in the auto position. The speedometer pointer lights up firts and the background lights up slowly and stays on for about two seconds then goes off. Sometimes with the headlight switch in the manual on position the backlight on the cluster is on-sometimes not. Is this likely a problem on the cluster board or a problem with the headlight switch?
  • The trip odometer is also a dimmer for the instrument cluster. I was surprised that the dash lights came full on at start then dimmed. Works fine now.
  • Hi,
    my 03 sienna stopped a few days ago, i had jump started it. it stopped again yesterday, couldn't jump start it. the lights inside are turning on and off very fast (flickering) and something in the tape players making noise (sounds like it is running). i replaced a 15amp fuse (power outlet), but no change. the battery is less than a year old. any idea what i should do?
    Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sounds like the alternator is bad - not re-charging the battery.

Once you start it, drive it for a while, to give it time to recharge. Also check to see if the fluid levels in the battery itself are good, and if not, add distilled water.

I topped off the battery on my '07, took a long drive, and a similar issue disappeared completely.
  • This has happened several times now. We start up the car and everything starts up fine, but our radio and air conditioning doesn't turn on for about a minute or two. We haven't checked the lights or wipers during the delay, but will do so next time. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

It only happens when the car is started up.
  • 1998 toyota sienna, about 220k miles. Intermittently, the van would not start, not crank, no nothing (for the last ~3 mos). Now it's not starting any more at all. Battery is good. Shop says that the starter motor is not getting power, not sure why still investigating... (broken cables?)
    Symptoms: Control lights come on when I turn the key, but not the "check engine" light. Also out is the little light circle around the gear you are in (like "P"). Other electrical issues have been creeping up over the years, not sure if related? Driver side power window will sometimes get stuck, have to wait 3-5 minutes and then it will pull all the way up. Light on the speedometer (right side) of dashboard has been out for about 2 years, 12V power connectors (front middle and back on the side of car) will no longer charge reliably, again this is about 2-3 yr old issue, ... The other day I dropped off sth at a friends house, had car idling in driveway and when I shut the tail gate, the motor stuttered and stopped.
    It's been a reliable car and I want it back in business! Is this something that a dealer shop needs to look at? Where can I get a wiring diagram? Thanks for your consideration!!!
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    edited October 2011
    I have a 2006 Sienna. There are two power adapters on the dash and one in the back. One of the two on the dash and the back power adapters do not work. Does anyone know where the fuse is located?
  • I have the same problem on my 2004 Sienna. Did anyone offer suggestions?
  • No one responded. But the Toyota dealership ended up finding it. I don't know the precise relay switch but it was a relay switch under the hood that connected the radio and heat. The crazy thing is just a few weeks ago our dashboard was flipping out. That was another relay switch that needed to be replaced - one that was under the dashboard making a clicking sound.
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    You're right no one responded.
    A switch that connects the radio and heater has something to do with the power adpter?
  • Hello,

There is a continuous clicking sound from my 2000 sienna when it's parked in garage, engine is off, key is out and doors are closed. At the same time I found I can not start the car, and the door light is quite dim.
    Later I found the sound is from Head Relay, and if I turn the headlight switch to 'off', the sound will be gone.

What could be the root cause of this? The battery is about 4 years old, and I think it's time to replace, but is the dead battery causing the click, or the click causes the dead battery?

Thanks,
    chan
  • rav4pdxrav4pdx Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I have encountered the same issue with my 2010 Rav4. Every now and then, the volume will increase for no reason. The times I have noticed this is when I'm shifting into reverse from being in either Park or Drive. My RAV4 does not have steering wheel controls for the radio, so I'm not sure what might be causing the conflict.

My pre-owned RAV4 was a rental car for a year, so I thought maybe there were some restrictions put on the volume of the radio (as it seems to be fairly quiet even with the volume cranked to 20+). But I find it interesting that there are others out there with similar issues.
  • replace the starter contacts, no need to remove the complete starter, just the head.