Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger 4x4 Problems

Comments

• Same problem with my '96. Low range worked, front wheels would not engage. After testing the truck with all four wheels eleveated, determined that hubs were the issue. Ordered a set of rebuilt automatic hubs from a guy on Ebay ($177), and they work great Determined that one of my original front hubs was still good, and turned it on Ebay for $60.
  • '02 ford ranger, 4x4 doesn't work. did last year. tried after the first snow this year and I got nothing. no lights on dash. checked fuses, they are good. even replaced them just in case. book says that the lights are supposed to come on when the key is turned on just like the engine lights do. but i get nothing. I checked over the wiring, nothing rubbed thru. everything was connected. anyone know what i should check. I am a mechanic but don't have any books or wiring dia. for this truck. thanks a bunch.
  • I'd start by seeing if your local library has a repair manual for the Ranger. A auto parts store or even a big box retailer that has a good automotive section may have one you can buy. In the computer age you may even be able to "google it" and come up with a wiring diagram.

Otherwise I'd start out with a volt meter or test light and start following the 12v until you can't find it anymore. Maybe you aren't getting power to the 2wd/4wd selector switch, maybe a loose or corroded connector somewhere in the system.

Good luck!

Kevin
  • 05 ranger Fx4 w/ 40k miles. it shifts into 4 wheel high and engages fine. but when I shift out of 4 high into 2 wheel dirve on the fly it makes a distinct, brief clunking noise that feels like you hit a pothole. it disengages from 4 wheel but that clunk noise/vibration worries me. is it gonna get worse? does it need hubs replaced? should I trade it in quick or is the fix cheap? :confuse: ">
  • It "sounds" like a bad universal joint in your front drive line. You might check those for looseness/wear. Not a serious repair if needed.

best of luck,
    Kevin
  • I have a 1997 Ranger 4 X 4. When disengaging from 4wd the truck runs ok but a mile or so down the road you will hear it grinding. Then I stop and put it in reverse and it seems to be ok. Any ideas about what is wrong?
  • Sounds like your automatic hubs, according to the owner's manual the proper way to disengage them is to rotate the dash switch to 2WD then back up 10-20 ft or so, then proceed forward. This takes the tension off the hubs and allows them to retract into "free" position. If they still have the force of moving the vehicle working on them they won't slide out until that force weakens (like deceleration for example)

When shifting out of 4WD into 2WD, try doing so when stopped, back up a short distance, then proceed forward and see it that solves your problem.

good luck
    Kevin
  • I have a 93 ranger 4.0 4x4. The 4wheel drive wasn't working when I bought it. So, not knowing any history of the truck. I bought a new shift motor. I put in on. Still nothing. I tried a different box and switch still nothing. I have had the truck for 6 months just now got the motor for it. Is it possible that the transfer case is gummed up and causing my shift motor to be unable to engage it? Please help if you can really want to get it fixed!
  • Not likely a "gummed up tranfer case". Here's what I would do....
    1)check to see if power is getting to shift motor.
    NO? a) fuses
    b) wiring/connectors
    YES?
    a) hubs

best of luck,
    Kevin
  • When I put my ranger into 4x4, push button, and take off it makes a growl noise like it is slipping, not locking in all the way. Could mean that my solenoid is bad.
    Because we jacked up the truck, put it into 4x4 and you can grab the wheel and stop the wheel comepletely.
  • If you could help me out with my ranger problem that would be great, respond ASAP.
  • Have an 87 4X4 Ranger. Bought truck used drove it on beach 4 wheel low wasn't working only 4 high. Went surfing tried to reverse off of sand transmission wouldn't engage into reverse only into Drive. Almost forgot truck is automatic. Pulled truck out of sand and discovered I now have no reverse. Any suggetion on how to trouble shoot or repair. Friend told me it could be the modulator. Thank you.
  • mydaemamydaema Posts: 1
    For about a week or alittle more, I have heard a humming noise when I take my foot off the gas on my Ford 2001 Ranger 4 x 4, no matter what the speed. It seems to be getting worse. I asked a friend what he thought the noise was, and he thought either the transmission, or the differential. Anyone have any idea what it could be, and how much this is going to cost? I cannot tell if it is comming fromthe front of the engine or the back. Seems like the front, but not sure. Thanks for any help.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    The Idle Air Valve, when it gets dirty can vibrate and cause a humming.

This can be removed and cleaned, or replaced for about $60 at a parts house.
  • muzmanmuzman Posts: 1
    Year/Make/Model: 2000 FORD RANGER SUPER
    2000 Ford Ranger:
    Body Style: SUPER CAB PICKUP
    Engine: 3.0L V6 EFI FLEX FUEL
    Drive line: 4 WHEEL DRIVE
    Brakes: 4wd anti-lock brake system
    Odometer: 106,000

I've had this vehicle for 2 years and have been pleased with its performance--when the wheels don't lockup occasionally--after sitting overnight. The incidents in the past happened about 6 times over the first 18 months, but are more frequent now.
    During one episode this winter, the rear and/or front wheels on the driver's side would spin on the ice--depending whether is was in 2 or 4w drive--but the passenger side wheels would not turn at all. The low range 4wd light remained on in this case, even when I switched to 4wd high, then 2wd high (I had parked it the night before in 4wd low-range).
    We jacked up the passenger side to try and manually rotate the front wheel...barely moved and the front drivetrain and axles budged with the wheel movement. The engine was off, the transmission in neutral, the setting at 2wd, and the parking brake off. After we pondered our options for an hour, we removed the jack, out of curiousity, started up the truck and backed up with no problem! Did we manually unlock some problem? Locked auto hubs?
    Last Monday, I took the extra precaution to take the truck out of 4wd and into 2wd high range, back it up about 20 feet, go forward again, then kill the engine and set the parking brake. To my dismay, I found the truck locked up again this Wednesday morning. We had one of our typical snowstorms that dropped the temperature from 70 degrees on Sunday to the low 20's on Monday when I ran the truck into town in 4wd, high.
    I was ready to check the fuses after leaving the truck in the sunshine for 5 hours, but decided to see if it'd move first. It did!
  • twaldentwalden Posts: 1
    i have a 95 and it does the same thing. the auto locking hubs suck.
  • 2000 ford ranger 3.0 flex engine
    my front hubs wont connect. when i shift into 4X4 high or 4X4 low you can feel the the transfer case hooking up but the front wheels wont pull.
    anybody have any ideas about what could be wrong
  • cessna180cessna180 Posts: 9
    i have a 98 ranger, its a vaccum, system, and ive had similiar problems, if the system, gets gunked up, [actually the fork, wont engage]... from eithier lack of use,.. or,..bad vaccum, [aka hose,] ive found and spoken with ford dealers ,... this sounds crazy but, smack the housing with a rubber mallet, or take the unit apart and clean it,... obviously bad design, the key ive heard... switch to manual locking hubs, or use it once a month,.. id like any more feedback, on this as well.. sincerely cessna 180.
  • Hello, I've acquired a nice '87 Ranger 4x4 with 4 cyl, 4 speed and manual hubs, for crawling through the woods. I have broken the left front u-joint yoke when the joint went out. The axle side yoke is ok. Can anyone tell me the steps to disassemble that part to replace the broken yoke? Must I pull the axle to install the u-joint. It looks like it might be done in place. I appreciate the help. j
  • ncherryncherry Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4. When I turned the drive switch to 4WD High the light came on, but when I turned the switch to Low the High light stayed on. Checked fuse #28 and found it was missing. It was the only empty slot with contacts in the bottom. Installed a fuse and now the High and Low lights work. Not sure, but believe the 4WD is working...doesn't seem to skid when in a hard turn on soft ground. In any case, thanks for the tip. Does anyone have any idea why someone would remove the fuse?
    Regards,
    Norm