Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• :confuse: Our TB was recently in a wreck. There was only damage to the rear where the tail gait is. Mostly cosmetic. Recently , the car would not start . We thought it was try battery and we replaced it. Later on we found out that we needed to put the car in full park. When we did that it started. When my wife and i got off work we went to start the car and it would not start. We did the same steps before and nothing happens. We did notice that the brake pedal was locked. Could this have something to do with the car not starting
  • Thanks. I found that the transmission cable was broken. The lever was in Park but the transmission stayed where it was before broken (R - Reverse). I changed the cable and done!
  • I bought an 06 Trailblazer and had my one year anniversary Dec 6th of 2008. It has been a NIGHTMARE since I bought it and the dealership won't buy it back. I was hoping there were similar issues that someone could suggest that I have them look at at the dealership, they are ready to total it so they don't have to look at it anymore, I didn't think that was a good solution. Here are a few of the issues:
    -Sounds and feels like driving on rumble strips at 45-70mph LOUDLY.
    -Tranny intermitant shifting problems
    -Mild intermitant vibration at 35-70 mph in gas pedal
    -Diminished Eng Capacity Light comes on and off
    - Intermitant 12mph max speed
    -Speed/Power cuts out randomly (no more acceleration regardless of gas pedal pressure)
    -Trac light intermitantly on
    -Check engine light intermitatly on
    -Clock auto resets itself occasionally
    -CD randomly pops out on startup or shut down or while driving
    -Vehicle shakes and chugs worse than a disel pickup on start up occasionally
    -Cruise control sometimes quits on its own
    -Replaced transmission pump/ignition switch
    -Torque converter locking up (tech told me potential problem)
    -Starter sometimes has issues, turn key and nothing...no click, hard turnover, nothing then wait 10-15 seconds and without touching the ignition switch the truck starts.
    -Continually warping rotors
    -Clunk on occasion when shifting from "P" to "R" or "R" to "D"
    -After startup while idling sometimes there is a loud clunk from the passenger side sounds like someone is kicking the side of the truck
    -Windows intermitantly work powering up
    -Transmission "whistles" when rpm's going up to shift occasionally
    -Radio/CD sometimes just shuts off
    That's about all I can think of off the top of my head I have had it in the shop at least 50 times in the past year and they keep telling me their computer doesn't say anything.....last week it lit up like the 4th of July but they still couldn't figure out why all the problems. If anyone can help with ideas that would be great, I don't know what else to do. It is all still under warrenty thank goodness!!!
  • Hi everyone, I have a 1999 Chevy Trialblazer, the engine cranks but wont start. It gets fuel and spark. I'm not that good with engine, what are the possible problems, or how could I go about trouble shooting it?
  • With key off or ignition on needle is at full. With engine running needle moves clockwise to straight down position. Help. What is possible problem to check before i have to spend big dollars.
  • I have problems starting my 02 tb...it will start on the 3rd or 4th time...i thought it would be the starter but then they told me it might be the sparkplugs...i need help.i'm a girl and dont know that much about cars or trucks..If any one has an answer please let me know....
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Starting problems can be caused by any number of things such as worn or defective spark plugs, ignition coils, drained battery, bad fuel pump, etc. Without knowing more about your specific problem, I'd go with the recommendation of the mechanic who diagnosed your TB.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Hi all, I'll try and keep it simple.

My 02 Chevy TrailBlazer is having some starting problems. It won't start, not even the radio or anything. I can't get the key out of the ignition either. My dad (used to own an automotive repair business) told me to tighten the positive cable on the battery, and that would fix it. Every time I tweak the cable the radio, clock, and other battery powered functions come on. At that point, I can get the key out if I want to. But if I turn the key to start after that, though it will sometimes start, more often than not, there's just a click and everything dies, and I'm back to square one. I had a problem like this before, about nine months ago. That turned out to be the actual battery, so we replaced the battery and the alternator to be safe. Certainly not the battery this time around. Anyone else had this problem before? Any ideas on what it is and/or how to fix it?

Thanks a lot.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You have probably already done this but have you taken a good look at the battery cable to see whether it has a corrosion problem? That seems to be the common element here so you may want to try working that to remove any corrosion/oxidation on the contact surface.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bc1739bc1739 Posts: 3
    I have an 02 TB. When I turn the key there is no sound at all. Has gas and is in park. All lights etc work and I took the battery to have it tested - it is fine with full crank amps. I have checked all terminal cables and all are tight with no corrosion. I tried to short the starter solinoid and it engages (but does not start). What am I missing? What about the starter relay?
  • vinny99vinny99 Posts: 3
    it sounds like an ignition tamper issue it must be reset by the dealer or a cycle of put in on position for 10 min then back off for ten seconds then repeat this cycle three times while watching the security flas on the das go from solid to out
  • winkawinka Posts: 1
    I have had this vehicle to the Chevrolet dealership for 3 days as the vehicle will not start in the morning. This has been going on for 3 months. They thought they had repaired as they replaced the control module. Went out the next morning and the vehicle would not start. I took it back to the shop today. They just called and said they can't quite figure it out...this is after spending 600.00 plus rental car fee!!! Any ideas beside getting rid of this thing.

TW
  • loriann805loriann805 Posts: 1
    HI,i went to start my tb in the morning,it would crank over ,but wont start.my husband took out the fuel filter,and he did change it.Then he was told there was 2 fuel filters.He checked that one was fine.Now he checked the spark plugs,that's where he started to get stumped.He found oil on the spark plugs ,two of them so he started to check hoses.I guess there is a hose for the fuel line that had a small hole in it,he changed that.He has checked the fuses and he is stumped.He works on his cars all the time,but he has older cars.I'm the one who wined i want a suv so here we are so if anyone could help we would greatly appreciate it.THANK YOU!!!!!!! :sick:
  • dogdaydogday Posts: 1
    Did this work?
    I have an 02 TB with start issues...first time it died while I was driving. When I turned the key to restart, dashboard lights came on but no cranking, no clicking, nada. About the time I got my AAA card out, I turned the key again and it came on with no prob. Next morning tried to start and same thing. Lights, gauges, but no cranking/clicking. Tried a few more times and still nothing. Did notice that the RPM gauge was shooting up over 2xxx, even though engine totally dead. This time wouldn't start. Called AAA and even with a jump, could not start. Would not let me shift out of park either. After talking w/3 different mechanics (gotta love cell phones) at the same time, I had AAA disconnect battery, wait a few minutes & reconnect. Started right up. Got to the repair shop and would not start. I've had starter relay replaced as well as battery. Would work initially, but within 5 days back with same problem--lights but no cranking. I've read solutions including replacing crankshaft position sensor, resetting computer and replacing ignition switch. :sick:
  • tkazeetkazee Posts: 4
    Stuck, did you ever get a fix for this? (or anyone else that wants to chime in) I noticed that there were other "similar" problems listed but none just like yours. My situation is like yours. If I go on short trips and cut the car off, it takes a while to get it started again, sometimes when It does start after almost flooding it out, it idles real high, sometimes it idles so high I have to shut it back off again. (afraid Im gonna blow something) Mine doesnt cut off while driving, my key has never gotten stuck, it starts right up in the morning or if it has been sitting for longer than a half hour. Its just short trips it has a problem with, and it doesnt do it all the time. The only difference that i have from you is that mine will start all winter long (live in Ohio) when its warm out, thats when it starts acting stupid. Thus the reason for my post, Any help would be greatly appreciated :confuse:
    Your problem sounds exactly like mine w/ 02 TB. My TB had been dead in my driveway for 3 days. Nothing I could do to start it. I took out the battery and had it tested to find it was fine. I actually had the car already on the wrecker to take to the dealer. We needed to remove the key and could not get it out. So that gave me a clue that it was either the interlock for the tranmission or the ignition switch. I wiggled the steering wheel and finally the key let go. When it did I turned it over to see if anything would happen and it started right up. When I explained this to the tech. he said it was classic of the ignition switch going bad. Works one time but not the next. They replaced it and it has been great since.
  • maizjmaizj Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer Ext. After the 100k miles it started to rough idle. First, I had the throtle body and injectors cleaned. The problem is still there. Then , I changed the spark plugs , it seems to improve but the problem is still there. I had one coil replaced from one of the spark plugs after the computer scanner indicated it and still have the probelm. When the car runs it smells like it is not making a good mix of air and gas. I had the scanner put again and gave me these codes . P 11330-H025-b1-s1 Insufficient swithcing, P1171-Fuel System Lean During Accel, P0130-02-Sensors Fant Banch 1 Sensor 1, P0135-02-Heater CHT Banch -1 Sensor-1, P0134-Low AQdiwity Bank1 Sensor Sensor 1. Defitinely it looks like Banch 1 Sensor 1 is defective . Can someone tell me is this is the oxygen sensor that needs replacement or something else that I need to change. I am almost getting ready to go into the cliff and let the car go over it..... I love this car and I will ike to fix it, best of all I just finished payinf for it and I will like to get a relief before I buy another car but it seems like Chevy makes their cars for 100k miles only..... In the other hand I have a [non-permissible content removed] and the one has 165 k miles and is still going strong ...... Thanks for your support ....
  • I am having the exact problem!!! Short trips, it wont start. It cranks but almost seems like it is not getting gas. If I pump on the gas sometimes it will start but most of the time I think I am flooding it and I have to wait 5-10 minutes before it will start. I have been to three mechanics and the dealership and no one can figure it out. I could scream. I love this truck and I dont want to have to buy another one. Someone help!!!
    My truck's problem was a bad ignition switch. Sometimes it started and other times it didn't. I figured it out when it would not start for three days and I got really mad and slammed the steering column. That vibrated the ignition switch enough so it finally started. Have your mechanic change out the ignition switch and see if it fixes it.

BC1739
  • :( okay i just bought this trailblazer about 3 days ago 60,000 miles on it, and on my way home last night i was sitting at a light waiting for it to turn green and it just shut off!!! i try to turn it on again, nothing! put it in park and then tried and it started as if nothing happened..????? I have a warranty, and GAP insurance but the dealership is an hour and a half away. i'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem?? also it didn't come with an owners manuel, so im clueless. any help would be great!!
  • Hi I was just wondering if you found the solution to this problem? I have the same problem when i'm driving my truck just shuts off and i can put it in park and start it back up and drive away... I'm a 21 year old female i just bought this truck and Im not sure really about anything mechanical I have no clue... :cry:
  • I have an 02 TB and all of a sudden it just stalls as i'm driving seems to be when i come up to a stop light or stop sign, It allows me to put the truck into park and restart it right away but it's not safe at all because as the truck stalls I lose all control of the steering and brakes (obviously because theres no power) I am a 21 year old mother of 2 and kinda scared I'm going to crash into someone I have no clue about cars and have been getting maybe guesses as to whats wrong but everyone is saying completely different things so I'm not sure where to start... PLEASE HELP!!!!! :cry:
  • jrg12jrg12 Posts: 1
    I am having the same exact problem as dogday. 2002 TB is stuck in park, wont start, and when key is turned to "run" position the speedometer and RPM gauge bounce all over the place. Im ready to loose it, any help is MUCH APPRECIATED!
  • I'm having the same problem with my '02. It does the same thing as yours, but only the first time it is used during the day. It doesn't matter the temperature, amount of time 'warming up', amount of gas in the tank... I've had it at the dealership during the day several times and overnight 3 different times and they keep saying it doesn't happen to them. They can't get any codes. I'm so scared I'm going to get rear-ended or loose control of the steering with my little boy in the car that I don't want to drive it anymore! Has anyone had any luck fixing something like this? Please? :cry:
  • I just replaced my battery and next day if I'm driving with the defrost on it stalls when stopped at light etc... also when in park and defrost is turned on power is reduced. Have a 2002 TB. It doesn't lose power when other climate control features are on only with the defroster.
    Thanks for any help.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,522
    When the defroster is on the A/C compressor is engaged to dry the air. Sounds to me like the idle control is not working properly, causing the idle to slow when the compressor is engaged to the point that it will stall. I assume that when not idling all is well?
  • WELL WHEN I WAS DRIVING WITH THE DEFROST ON IT SEEMED AS THOUGH THE ACCELERATION WAS CHANGING ON ITS OWN , (WASN'T CHANGING MY GAS PEDAL PRESSURE)
    THE ACCELERATION WOULD GO UP AND DOWN AS I DROVE .
    HOWEVER IT SEEMS FINE WHEN THE OTHER CLIMATE CONTROLS ARE ON, SUCH VENTED HEAT. ALSO NO PROB WHEN THE RADIO IS ON.
    THANKS FOR ANY HELP
  • well we had the alernator checked and that seems to be fine so still no luck figuring out why my rpm's drop when the defrost is turned on in park and if i'm in drive at a stop light etc.. the car will stall. seems to be okay when not running the defroster any ideas out there.

thanks
  • I have a 2003 Trailblazer with a 4.2. It has been running like a champ, but yesterday morning i went to start it turned the key and everything came on, but no cranking. So i started reading on here what to look at. I changed the starter relay no luck. I went and bought a new ignition switch, and as i was pulling the column apart i tried to start it and it worked. So i tried to get it into drive but no luck, just stuck in park. No clicking when i hit the brakes or anything. So i went ahead and changed the Ignition Switch anyway got it all back together started fine. Tried to get it into drive, reverse, neutral, or anything and it will not budge. I shut it off after a couple of tries and then it did the not starting thing again. I tried unplugging the battery and leaving it all night. I can start it now, but still can't get it out of park.

I don't think that the ignition switch was bad i think something else is going on. No way that my brake switch and ignition went out over night. Anyone else have resolution to their issue. The truck seems to start kind of funny at first but idles and stays running.
  • How did you resolve the problem? I'm having the same problem after changing the battery