Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Start Stall and Idle Problems

Comments

• jagtxjagtx Posts: 2
    Replaced a bad alternator last week. Now it starts and charges fine but I have a new problem. The idle seems OK without out the A/C on, but goes crazy when I turn it on. It dies when I come to stops and sometimes speeds up when I take my foot off the gas going over 35mph. I've been driving it around without A/C on and have only noticed a couple of minor surges when parking. Does anyone know which fuses I should check or any other causes of this issue?
  • First I have to say that I'm so glad I found this site. I have an 04 TB, 114,000 miles. Have had no problems until recently. I went out one morning and tried to start it. Nothing....no clicking no nothing. Thought it was the starter, but after a phone call to the mechanic and following some directions over the phone it was determined that it wasn't the starter, but the battery. Replaced the battery and now I have another problem all together. I can start the TB, drives fine, but when I turn the fan on for heat or cool air (not ac) then the RPM's drop to below half and it stalls out. Then if I'm driving and coming to a stop it does the same thing with the fan on. If I turn the fan off the RPM's drop but it doesn't stall. If I try the ac, it stalls. Can anyone please give me the answer on how to fix this problem?!! My mechanic can't figure it out and I need help. I'm a single mom with 2 kids and 2 jobs that I can't afford to lose!
    Thanks in advance. :cry: :confuse:
  • Hay, Did you ever get your TB fix. I would like to know.
  • It sounds like either a bad computer or your mechanic needs to go and look inside your idle air control circuit. When ever you activate your defrost or ac settings your computer is suppose to raise and lower your idle and keep it from dieing. :shades:
  • 62cowman62cowman Posts: 1
    I also have 2000 chevy TRAIL BLAZER yes they made the trail blazer in 2000 and it will die going down the road but start right back up. I've only had this TB for two weeks and it's been at three shops and they all just scratch their head and say"Well I don't know". I had two fuel pumps put in it and no change. Everything else seems to work great ecept the radio now shows err instead of the time or station,have no idea if that meens anything. It still plays fine. I'm going to get it tommrow. So any ideas?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    In 2000 it was an S10 Blazer with the "trailblazer" option.
  • luvdieselluvdiesel Posts: 2
    I just joined looking for other TB user problems. I have the same A/C on car dies problem too. Just started when the battery would not charge. Bought new battery last weekend. Now idles great until i turn on the fan switch. Even if the A/c is off, the fan switch makes it vary in idle and usually stall, especially at stops. Definitely electric but what?
    Does the dealer have any real answers?
    Thanks
  • butch1017butch1017 Posts: 1
    What happens when the battery is replaced or cables disconnected, the on board computer loses its memory. When you start it up after new battery is installed, either the computer needs to be reprogrammed by a dealer or you can let it teach itself by driving it, starting and stopping often, turning the engine off, and restarting, this happened to me and it took me several days of driving to get the car back to normal. The quick fix is to take it to a dealer and have the computer reprogrammed with the correct parameters.

When you have the battery replaced, it is a good idea to have a second battery hooked up before disconnecting the bad battery. This way the computer will not lose its memory. Most reliable auto shops when replacing a battery will use this method when replacing the battery.

This happened to me and it took me several days of driving, starting, stopping before the computer reprogrammed itself. My trailblazer is now running fine. It is aggravating, to have to do it this way, but is cheaper than having the computer reprogrammed.
  • carmax21carmax21 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer LS that is giving me a headache! About 6 months ago it started hesitating to start on cold starts(by hesitate I mean I would have to turn the key and hold it for about 5-10 secs before it would start) and now it is doing it ALL the time. I had a tune up done already(new spark plugs and fuel filter), I had the battery replaced and the fuel regulator replaced. My mechanic is stumped too, we are debating whether to continue with replacing the starter or fuel pump next. Any input would be great thanks!!
    I suggest you take to someone who will actually troubleshoot and find the problem, instead of throwing parts at it like it sounds has been done. There's all kind of problems that can cause the symptoms you describe, from simple to complex.
    When you do get it started, how does it run? Smooth idle? Normal power?
  • Recently (about a month ago) I purchased a 2003 trailblazer LT with 67000 miles, it had been driving great, until about a week ago. I go to start it and it cranks but will not catch. I leave it alone for about an hour I believe I try again and it starts right up and was fine for about a week. Then same thing happened this time I kept trying over and over to get it to start for about close to an hour and then finally I was able to get home. It just seemed odd that it trying to crank but will not catch almost like it wasnt getting fuel, Im going to have someone look at it but in the mean time was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what the problem could be? Thank you for any information
  • I am glad to hear that I am not the only one having issues with my 2003 Trailblazer LT, over 100,000 miles. When trying to start the vehicle all of the lights will come on it will try to crank over but won't start, put in a new battery, turn the key and it still won't start on 1st try, may have to try 5 or 6 times before it will catch. and can't step on the gas because it acts like it will flood. When it starts finally, it runs fine. Anyone with any ideas what might be wrong, advice is appreciated.
  • Car would not start, check battery, found to weak to start car, had jumped. When home and removed and replaced with new battery, First start car almost stalled out but RPMs came up and idled fine. This morning started up fine but did same thing with idle. When drive would stall out unless put into neutral, idle still low.
    No check engine light (yet). But did have before (on and off) battery replaced.
    help!
  • Mine has the same problem for the last 2 months. When the a/c is turned on at idle it stalls. Just other day it went away and now idles fine with the a/c on. ??????????????????????????????
    Idle air control valve? Over time, gunk builds up and they get sticky. I haven't had to service or replace the one on out TB, but I have on the Durango with about the same mileage.
  • autoacessgaragautoacessgarag Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Disconnecting your battery has allowed the PCM to reset to original factory default settings. Unfortunately, your throttle body is dirty, but you didn't know it until now because the PCM has been altering the way the engine runs to compensate for it.

Now that the computer thinks everything is great, it's not taking into account how dirty the Throttle Body is, and that's where your getting the bad idle.

Remove and clean the throttle body as soon as you can, (and yes, disconnect the battery while you do it again), and after it's all clean and you reconnect the battery, all should be well.:
    And...yes:

here's the "how to":
    http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91
  • Lately every 4 or 5 starts my 2002 Trailblazer won't turn over at all. Power locks don't work, can't pull key out of ignition, and buzzing sound comes through speakers. Also a noise coming from back seat fuse box. (Not sure if it's related, but the temp/compass display went out a couple weeks ago.) I can't manually lock the door when this happens either. I've checked the fuses, DH replaced the ignition switch. Any other ideas? Right now I just want to whack it with a baseball bat. :mad:
  • mykewmykew Posts: 1
    If your still having the problem, replace your ignition switch.
  • engrjamengrjam Posts: 2
    any answer to this I have the same issue!!
  • takincare_1takincare_1 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Does anyone have this problem? turn ign key to start, solenoid clicks, turn key off and try again. Nothing. No dash lights and key stuck in ign. I jiggle wires down by starter and/or remove postive batt terminal, replace postive batt terminal and then dash lights and eventually engine starts. TB does this more often that it used to. If you have had this exp. let me know what to do.