Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    My '06 Mazda3 s 5-door had Goodyear Eagles standard and they barely lasted past 30k miles. I took it to a local Goodyear shop and learned replacing them with the same tires would be almost $1000!

The guy suggested Dunlop SP Sport Signatures (almost half the price of the Goodyears). I've put another 38k on the car since then and couldn't be happier. The ride is better, handling is still great and they're wonderful in the rain. They have a 60k treadlife warranty, too.
  • vovanivovani Posts: 7
    and may i ask why you took the OEM tires without even trying them out??

i've had my 09 Mazda3 HB for over almost 2 months now, put over 600 miles on it.. drove in the heavy rain at least 3 times.. no issues at all.. i drive fast, never turn my radar detector off.. specifically tested hard stops to check them out, no problems..

am i doing something wrong? although i haven't had a chance to drive these Goodyear RSA's in the snow yet..
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I took the RS-As off of my 2003 Mazda3 i Touring after 714 miles, that said, I ordered my new tires from TireRack the day I bought the car. Why? Primarily due to the nearly universal negative reviews on the RS-As. It turned out to be a good thing I did too, because in the week it took to get the tires and get an appointment scheduled to have them fitted, we had a fair amount of rain and snow. My complaints regarding these tires are 1) they were very twitchy and skittish on dry pavement, 2) they felt more than a bit slippery in rain, and 3) they were positively diabolical in the snow (I couldn't even get up my street one evening and had to leave the car there until the snow plow came by, and there was only an inch on the ground).

Long story short, Eagle RS-As are possibly the worst tire I've ever had on a car, and given that their price is somewhere north of $200 per tire, they could possibly be the worst deal in tires in the history of the automobile.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • vovanivovani Posts: 7
    thanks for sharing your experience with your OEM tires..

however, I noticed yours was 2003 model.. is it possible that the manufacturer improved quality of the tires considerably in the 6-year timeframe due to numerous complaints from customers and push from Mazda?
    anyone with 2009 model want to share their experience with OEM tires?

thanks!
    Woops! Sorry, my bad. My Mazda3 is a 2009 model purchased new in mid November of 2008.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • hiwaystarhiwaystar Posts: 10
    I pick up my new 2010 tomorrow and am a little concerned about snow handling capabilities of the car/tires in Wisconsin. Luckily (or not) we may be in for a late season 6" snowfall on Sunday so I will probably find out early on if my decision to buy the "fun" mazda3 rather than the fully loaded and substantially discounted 2009 mazda tribute AWD was a poor one.
    Tirerack has no reviews or test data on these new OEM tires so perhaps I will be the first.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    I wouldn't sweat it; at worst you might need to buy a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires for @$1000 or so. The Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all-season tires fitted on my Mazdaspeed3 worked fine in the snow and slush.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• evoievoi Posts: 1
    Are you doing something wrong? Yes, you are driving too fast. :sick: :sick: :sick: link">
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    Are you doing something wrong? Yes, you are driving too fast.

I agree; I usually keep my Mazdaspeed under 85 mph- unless I'm at the track... ;)

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    I have the stock 17" Goodyear tires which came with my 2009 3i touring value.
    What are some good budget tires on the market which are good in rain and snow?
    We don't get a whole lot of snow and when we do, the roads get clear quickly. I am more concerned with good traction in rain, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on new tires. Any suggestions?
    I have the same car as you and I have to say that first off, there is no such a thing as a "budget" tire sold in the 205/50 R17 size. That said, if I was looking for a low cost tire in this size, the following three tires get pretty good reviews, are low cost (relatively speaking) and would make my short list (in order of which I'd most likely buy):

$104 -- Dunlop SP Sport Signature
    $119 -- Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
    $113 -- Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    Thanks, Shipo.
    I usually replace 2 tires at a time, its easier on the wallet.
    The stock 17" Goodyears barely made it to 30k on my '06 MZ3. I replaced them with Dunlop SP Sport Signatures and have almost 40k on them with no complaints. It still handles great, but the ride is a little better than Goodyears. They're MUCH better in rain than the stock tires, too!

I bought them from my local Goodyear store and paid $420 OTD for the set of four. They come with a 60k treadwear warranty, too!
  • mazdazedmazdazed Posts: 34
    Check the pricing and reviews on the General Altimax HP's. I am planning to replace the Goodyears on my 09 ITV with those when the time comes. The best tire for the $ I have found so far.
    The problem is that the General Altimax HP is not available in the 205/50 R17 size.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • mazdazedmazdazed Posts: 34
    One more reason for me to switch to 16" wheels. The 16's will still handle plenty good for me and will ride better. Hopefully quieter too. The tires will also cost less. I tried to get the dealer to offer my 17's as a swap with someone buying a 3 with 16's but no takers.
    For cost of new 16" wheels I'm thinking it's just cheaper to put on good seventeens and be done with it.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    I'm about to replace my Toyo tires (crappy in my opinion) and I have narrowed my selection down to 3 choices and would like to hear any feedback/advice from you guys (pros & cons, reduced mpg, etc).
    I have a 3s sedan w/16's and going to go replace w/ 215 55 16. I'm not an aggressive driver but like good cornering & want good traction (for when it does rain here in the desert as well as for windy conditions).
    1. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    2. Goodyear Eagle GT
    3. Yokohama YK520
    Thanks in advance!
    Have you considered the Dunlop SP Sport Signature? The original Goodyear Eagles were shot on my '06 MZ3 (17") at less than 30k. The Dunlops were quite a bit less expensive than replacement Goodyear Eagles ($450 vs. $800). It's been almost 40k since I got them and I'm very pleased. Handling is almost as good as with the OEM Eagles, but ride quality, wet-weather traction and road noise are all significantly better!

BTW, the 16" s has 205/55/16 standard...are you sure you want to go up to a 215? It'll throw speedometer calibration off by 1mph or so...just FYI.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    Never thought about the speedometer calibration part... so it will be increased by 1 mi?
    Will it affect my mpg?

**did you guys just stick with the 205 width?

I guess the 1/2" on the 215 might not make the biggest difference; I was thinking of better road grip & I like the look of a wider tire.