Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    run my tire pressure a few pounds above the manufacturer's recommendation, and in my Mazda3 I use 36
    Ditto for my Mazda Protege5. The 32 pound setting gives a softer and less precise feeling to the ride. I would be cautious going much higher (i.e. in the 40's) for an extended period of time though.
  • i just bought this car on Jan 7, 2009. It has 8,300miles on it, and it already needs 2 new front tires to pass inspection... now, i didnt rotate my tires (my fault there). but should they have worn out that fast?? i dont drive like a maniac.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    If your car came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires, then yes, those suckers wear out quickly. Over on a different board I heard so many claims of premature wear with these tires before I bought my 2009 Mazda3 that I opted ti order a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires the day I bought my car and had the RS-As yanked after only 714 miles. FWIW, those tires now have almost 22,000 miles on them and aren't even half gone yet. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    8,300miles ... needs 2 new front tires ... didnt rotate my tires (my fault there). but should they have worn out that fast?

You're right on both counts: you should rotate your tires and regular tires should last longer than 10,000 miles or one year. Good luck with your next set (which I guess will not be Eagle RS-A tires). You may want to consider biting the bullet and getting a set of 4 new tires like Shipo did.
  • my son's only lasted 6000 miles!
  • You might consider Bridgestone Potenza tires, the specific tire picked to match your driving conditions.
    I have found them to be good handling and reasonable wearing tires.
    consider Bridgestone Potenza tires ... reasonable wearing tires

Interesting. How many miles do your tires have? What size (e.g. 205/50/16) and speed rating (e.g. V rated) do they have?
  • Tell me about it. My 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback just got 4 new tires due to the poor wear of the Goodyear Eagles. I had barely 20,000 on this car and did mostly inner-city driving. Part of the problem was my fault for not getting them rotated enough. Now I'm going to rotate them at every oil change to help keep my Potenza's wearing evenly. The tire men said the Goodyear's were too soft. Hopefully these Bridgestones will last longer. I got the better ones that are suppose to last 50,000 miles, but I doubt mine will due to my inner-city driving habits. My rear tires were practically bald and my front ones were not much better. What a rip off these Goodyears were. Nevertheless, I love driving my little Mazda - a fun little funky car and have had nothing go wrong with it mechanically. :)
  • Picked up my 2010 in late July....has the same tires as you got....how did they do in that late April snow? I'm curious if I need to invest in winter tires...live in Southern Indiana where they don't salt but rather sand/salt mixture. So far dealers have been telling me I should be fine....

Also have you had any problem with tire pressure problems. Looks like there was a possible issue in previous years...

Love the car otherwise...
    Thanks!
  • Mazda 3 2.3, 25K miles. Just burned throught the second set of rear tires in 25K!!!!!

Negative camber for good handling causes the problem! No solutions. Wish an energetic lawyer would find this issue!

My solution is to trade this tire eating monster off this weekend. A great, fun car to drive....but new tires every 12-15k miles isn't on my list.

Warn your friends!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Is it the suspension or is it the tires? I ask because due to the sheer number of complaints regarding the OEM skins, I had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires installed on my 2009 Mazda3 after only 714 miles. So far at least they still look virtually new after 23,000 miles. Go figure.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    We have not yet had to replace the tires on our 2007 model with 39,000 miles, but we have been running separate winter tires each year for roughly 3 1/2 months. I do plan to replace the original OEM tires this spring. I figure they have about 25,000 miles on them and are getting very near the end. For replacements I will look for tires that have excellent tread life, including the Pilots that Shipo's had good experience with.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    Mazda 3 2.3, 25K miles. Just burned throught the second set of rear tires in 25K!!!!!

I'm no longer a fan of Mazda, but in all fairness I have to say that tire wear has NOT been a problem with my Mazdaspeed 3; The OEM Bridgestones and the replacement Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires each lasted over 25,000 miles.

Wish an energetic lawyer would find this issue!

Ah yes, the jackpot theory of justice...

My solution is to trade this tire eating monster off this weekend. A great, fun car to drive....but new tires every 12-15k miles isn't on my list.

Let me get this straight; buying a new car and taking a several thousand dollar hit on depreciation is less expensive than buying new tires and finding out what is causing the excessive wear? If you say so...

Warn your friends!

Now that IS funny...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Let me get this straight; buying a new car and taking a several thousand dollar hit on depreciation is less expensive than buying new tires ...

I must agree the better solution may be a new set of tires; who knows you may love that "monster" again. :)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    My '06 s 5-door chewed thru the factory Goodyear Eagles in barely 28k miles...but the Dunlop SP Sports that replaced them have 47k and counting on them and lots of tread life remaining!
    I must agree the better solution may be a new set of tires; who knows you may love that "monster" again.

I strongly suspect that the OP simply wants a new car and the tire wear issue has become the justification for buying it.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I strongly suspect that the OP simply wants a new car and the tire wear issue has become the justification for buying it.

You read my mind!
    You read my mind!

Great minds think alike!

• eoghan1eoghan1 Posts: 57
    At about 40K I replaced the original RSA's on my 2004 3s with Michelin Pilot Sports that I bought used. Two had full tread and two were half worn. I found the Pilots good but just as noisy as the RSA's. I plan to replace the two more worn ones with Hankook Ventus's or Optimos, putting them on the back. Can I expect them to be quieter? Anyone feel mixing the brands is a problem?
    What are the size and ratings (e.g. V-rated) of your Pilots and the Hankooks? Differences here may mean different handling and other driving characteristics. Sticking to the same type of tire makes the drive more consistent (that is, use sporty tires for a sporty ride).

Are either the Pilots or Hankooks unidirectional (that is you cannot rotate them in a cross pattern only in a front to back and vice versa)?

I plan to replace the two more worn ones with Hankook Ventus's or Optimos, putting them on the back.
    Once you do a tire rotation, they will be on the front. :)