Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    A couple of "not so much" votes:

The stock Goodyear Eagle RS-As that came on many 17" wheeled versions of the Mazda3: A hard and fast minus (can we rank them really bad, kinda-sorta like "---"?)

While I have no personal experience with them, every report I've read about the Toyo Proxi (sp?) tires seem to be pretty negative as well: Another minus.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 431
    My inner tread blocks also wore more quickly due to the negative camber. One shop recommended, if they are not directional tires, to simply have them taken off the wheels and mounted "backwards", so that the inside moves to the outside. Too much trouble to do that regularly, but I may give it a try if I notice the same uneven wear when I've got 15-20K on the current tires.
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Posts: 57
    FWIW While the negative camber on my 2004 hatch is apparent I have not experienced unusual or uneven wear or cupping with the original RSA's(replaced at 35k) or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's I am currently running at 58K. Both brands became somewhat slippery in the wet, under acceleration, as they wore down but not to the point of feeling dangerous. I plan to replace two of the Pilots with the Conti's in 10K or so. I test drove the 2010 redesign and found little to encourage me to trade up. At this point I envision driving the 04 for quite a while.
    The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my Mazda3 are a directional tire that cannot be rotated in the classic sense. I simply swap fronts and rears on each side every fifteen-thousand miles. Were it not for the fact that we get pretty significant winters up here in New Hampshire, I suspect these tires would go an easy sixty-thousand miles before needing replacement.
  • Has anyone tried moving down a size of tire to prevent these wear issues? I have a 2008 with 41K and need to buy the car a 3rd new set of tires. I live in the northeast, and the potholes and premature wear are killing the 17"s I have on it--I was thinking about going to a taller 16", lose a little handling, but hopefully get more life out of them.
    edited April 2011
    I too live in New England and when I bought my 2009 I was a little annoyed by the fact that the Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition came with 17" wheels while the more expensive Mazda3 s Sport had 16" wheels. I wanted (and bought) the "i" and decided that if the 17s became a problem I'd worry about downsizing later. The good news is that after nearly 50,000 miles I haven't had any issues (other than replacing the junk OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires after only a week).

At this point I don't forsee any change in wheel/tire size at any time in the future.
  • tjmazda3tjmazda3 Posts: 1
    Hello, been reading the forum and appreciate the discussions. I've got a 2004 Mazda 3i 2.0 sedan and am looking for some new tires. I run separate snows in the winter since it can get pretty nasty where I live in Southern Maine. Tire size I'm looking at is 205 55 16 and am focusing on overall value/wear, and wet weather performance/safety. Not so concerned about snow performance since I use separate tires in the winter. From the discussions here and consumer reports (prices are local quotes I could find), I'm focusing on:

- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($164)
    - Michelin HydroEdge ($141)
    - Continental ProContract ECOPLUS ($131)
    - Continental Extreme contact ($124)
    - Hankook Optimo H727 ($117)

Realistically, I'm focusing on the last three due to price (might consider one of the Michelin's if there's a compelling reason to). I've noticed that with the Mazda 3's lighter weight, wet/safety is the biggest priority, but I'd like them to last.

Consumer Reports seemed to favor the Mich. HydroEdge, Cont. ProContact, and the Hankook Optimo H727 for wet conditions. I'm no expert so appreciate any shared experience/advice. Thanks in advance!
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    edited April 2011
    Tire size I'm looking at is 205 55 16 and am focusing on overall value/wear, and wet weather performance/safety.

Is there a speed rating that you're considering? For example, would a "H" rated tire be adequate, or would you want more performance with a "V" or "W" or "Z" rated tire?

Have you checked Tire Rack? It seems to me to be the best site for tire reviews. For example, you can enter your specs and see the results or you can select the Survey Results tab and then Standard Touring All Season to find a chart listing recommendations by hundreds/thousands of users.

Tip: Buying a set of tires can save you money as many brands offer discounts for a set.
    Here's the latest version of the list identifying suitable (+), not suitable (-) and undetermined quality of tires for the Mazda3. If you have information about other tires for the Mazda3 feel free to add to this list.

+ Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
    + Continental Extreme Contact DWS ("conditional" rating)
    ? Bridgestone Turanza 400 (2011 OEM)
    - Goodyear Eagle RS (OEM on earlier Mazda3)
    - Toyo Proxi "every report I've read ... seem(s) to be pretty negative"
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    automomous, may I ask where you found this list? Interested to find out what made the rating for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS "conditional" as I run these tires (in the Spring, Summer and Fall) and have been extremely happy with them.
    If you check back a dozen or two posts you'll see that the "list" is kind of a project/work-in-progress of this thread. The reason the Continentals are generally well thought of but not a hard-and-fast recommendation is that given their relative newness to the market, there have yet to be any reports that the "collective" here has seen as to how well they perform as they age.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss on the other hand are a well known entity and have been around long enough to have any number of Mazda3 drivers put in excess of 50,000 miles on a single set with no complaints. Hence their top ranking.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Shipo, thanks for the explanation of the conditional rating. I don't have enough miles on the Continental's to say how they wear, but as I mentioned above I am extremely please with them so far in all respects. Although I do not run them in winter here in Minnesota, choosing instead to go with a dedicated winter, they did outperform four other similar tires in this test, in the snow:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124
    I just took a look at the Michelins on my Mazda3 today and contrary to my previous (apparently over-optimistic) statements, 45,000 miles looks to be about their limit. I may have a new set of Continentals on it in the next month or two. :)
  • 59scott59scott Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 3s, which came with the 17s. I have about 32K miles on the original tires and no problems, but I put 205/60x16" winter tires on, which really helped my winter traction. I am in Massachusetts. The ride was a little softer, which was not such a bad thing and handling was softened as well but not bad. I think 16" all seasons would handle better than the winter tires, and be more resilient.
  • mazdamarkmazdamark Posts: 7
    I will try those mIchelin Pilot Sport A/S.

There is a difference in tire wear for those who do the majority of their driving as opposed to those who do city driving. Long distance driving seems to wear out the tires far faster than city driving. I have been told by Mazda dealers at one city that the Mazda 3 is only good for city driving, short distance.
    It would help us all if ppl posting would tell us the sort of driving they do.
    I do long distance driving and my tires wear out due to scalloping at about 12 000 miles.
    I put over 17,500 miles on my car in the first four and a half months; no issues at all with lots of highway driving (on Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss).
    may I ask where you found this list?
    The list is whatever we want it to be. I'm gathering opinions to hear what other Mazda3 drivers have experienced. I've added yours!

+ Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
    + Continental Extreme Contact DWS (some say "conditional"; some say "extremely happy with them")
    ? Bridgestone Turanza 400 (2011 OEM)
    - Goodyear Eagle RS (OEM on earlier Mazda3)
    - Toyo Proxi "every report I've read ... seem(s) to be pretty negative"
  • eoghan1eoghan1 Posts: 57
    I would guess the mileage on my 2004 Sport is about 50/50 highway and suburban driving and I have noticed no inordinate wear on the inner part of the tread or scalloping on either the original RSA's or the Michelin Pilot AS Sports in 60K. The car is not used every day hence the low mileage.
  • mrgreymrgrey Posts: 7
    edited May 2011
    I have a 2010 Mazda 3 with 30,500 miles and Turanza EL400 tires. The tires are currently at 4/32 - thus almost done. Probably will last another 5,000 miles. I don't really know whether 35,000 is considered "good" or not for tire longevity. I would have thought tires to last more like 50k, personally.

I live in DC, and thus the traffic is very difficult. Lots of stop and go, but also some highway. DC is not your average traffic city - it's 2nd worst in the US after LA. So there is probably more wear than you might otherwise have, and this should be taken into consideration when compiling statistics.
    Interesting comments, especially about driving in DC. A few questions for you (and anyone else that is commenting on their tires).

What would you say is your proportion of city vs highway driving?
    Based on your post it sounds like city driving may be predominant.

How would you describe your normal driving style?
    For example: relaxed, aggressive, average?

Do your tires show any special wear patterns/characteristics?