Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    They could have changed something between the 2005 and 2007 models, but this shows that it's at least worth second look. I'll get a set before next winter for sure, as my 16 year-old daughter is the primary driver of this car. I know that with just a bit of late snow in March on our moderately sloped driveway, I had trouble with the stock 17" tires, so I'll need to get a separate set of wheels & winter tires for a relatively inexperienced driver. The only problem will be where to store them, as we already have 8 stacked high in our garage for our two all wheel drive SUV's (FX45 and RX330). Since the Mazda is just front wheel drive, it makes even more sense here in Minnesota.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    I think the main difference is all 2007 3's have TPMS. From reading at Tirerack, this system requires special TPMS adaptable rims.
  • markb3markb3 Posts: 23
    Only the GT sedan and GT sport come with 17" all other Mazda3s come with either 15" or 16". Mazdaspeed3 will have the 18".
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    Thanks. Got it.
  • ayoda5ayoda5 Posts: 4
    BACKGROUND: Got a mazda3i w/ around 49,000 miles. Had new pads put on in Oct. 2006. Rotors resurfaced about 2 weeks ago.

PROBLEM: About a month ago (before rotors resurfaced and after new pads) a small squeaking noise began in my rear left wheel. Its an intermittent squeak which gets faster and louder the quicker I go. When I brake the noise disappears. To me this rules out a bearing problem (bearing failure is more of a grinding noise also, isn’t it?). My mechanic thought it might be an out of place shim, or some other type of interference. I plan on taking off the wheel to see if there is anything obvious.

I am confused b/c if it was the bearing then the noise shouldn’t stop when I apply the brakes, right? Also I just got new pads about 8,000 miles ago, and there is still plenty of pad left, and the resurfacing occurred after the noise popped up. So, the noise didn’t appear directly after any brake work. The only conclusion that I can make w/ my little knowledge is that something perhaps wasn’t installed quite right when the pads were done and now the interference is causing the noise.

Anyway its annoying the hell out of me, so if there is anyone out there who has any clues, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Id say take the wheel off and look for signs that the pad is sticking to the rotor. Sounds like the pads were not installed properly, unfortunatly its too late to bring it back in and make them fix it.
    Also check this site out...has some TSBs that refer to the rear brakes. See if what they describe sounds like your problem.
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins.html
  • jcsarpjcsarp Posts: 3
    My new 2007 Mazda3 GT has the same TPMS problem. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. Did your dealer find a fix for this problem? Thanks.
    I am having a TPMS problem on my new 2007 Mazda3 GT. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. All four tires are holding pressure correctly. 32 psi when cold rising to about 34 - 35 psi when warm. The problem only occurs after the car has been driven for a period of time. The dealer said that a diagnostic scan indicated that the TPMS module was reading each tire pressure correctly, but the ID codes for each wheel sensor were not registered in the module. The dealer "registered" each wheel sensor and sent me on my way. The same TPMS warning light problem returned later. No change. Do I have a defective wheel sensor or a defective receiver module? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    How did your dealer know which wheel sensor was damaged? Did a diagnostic scan indicated the bad sensor or did the dealer remove the tire(s) to inspect the wheel sensor(s)? Thanks.

Re: TPMS Warning Light (!) - Mazda3 GT HB by m3fan3
    "i had the same exact problem the first day i bought my mazda 3. one of my sensors were broken. the dealer replaced it on the warranty with no problem."
  • Just purchased a 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback, and from day one, after driving for a while (10-15 miles) the TMPS warning light flickers, then remains on even though the tire pressure is at specs.

My dealer inspected the vehicle and found that the TPMS module was not aware of the wheel sensors. Their corrective action was to "re-learn the module".

This did not fix the problem however, and the TMPS warning light still comes on after driving 10-15 miles.

I'm in the process of scheduling a 2nd service appointment for this problem and would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had the same problem and subsequently had it fixed by the dealer.

I'd be interested in knowing what exactly your dealer did to fix the problem.

Regards,
    argb
  • I recently purchased a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 and I am a bit confused as to the size of rims that I can install on the Speed3. I was told by the parts department in one dealership that 18" is the only size that will fit.

Just for kicks I contacted a second dealership and I was told by one person (over the phone) that 16" is OK and then a second person told me (when I visited the dealership in person) that 17" is OK. Both people worked in the same parts department.

Can anyone tell me what the correct size is? Also, are there any aftermarket rims available for this car? I am under the impression that the stock rims have a non-standard +50mm offset.

Thanks for your help.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    mnesbitt, go to www.tirerack.com and it will list many options for both tires and wheels that will fit. Remember for better winter traction, narrower is better, so 16's would be your best bet if you live in a cold/snowy climate.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,562
    Check with Tire Rack. They know their stuff. I haven't bought tires from anyplace else since 1992. FWIW, Tire Rack currently lists 16", 17", and 18" winter tire/wheel packages for the Mazdaspeed3.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Thanks for the information. I checked out Tire Rack and the prices looked pretty good so I ordered a set of wheels and tires. I should see the shipment in about a week and I will you know how it works out.
  • UPDATE: The dealer fixed the TPMS false positive / warning light problem by replacing the rain sensing wiper module with an updated version. The dealer stated that Mazda discovered that the rain sensing wiper module emits EMI / RFI that causes the TPMS to generate false positives.
  • I want to install new winter tires, but don't want to spend $300 on new sensors that are really just glorified idiot lights. Any idea what a Mazda3 5-door (2007) will do when the TPMS senses that all four tires are flat? Full idiot light? Flashing idiot light? Will it beep uncontrollably like the seat belt?

Any help would be appreicated.

P.S. No offense was meant by the term "idiot light" as I am a little old school.

Thanks!!
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 479
    I had one low tire this morning and it beeped once just after starting the car and the light stayed on, but not more beeping or flashing after that. I'd be surprised if if behaved any differently with more than one low tire.
  • Thanks! I was about to go out and let some air out. I was hoping that was going to be the answer! Thanks for your help!
  • I have a 2007 Mazda 3 S Touring sedan with factory tires which I bought 9/06. More or less since I've bought it, the tires have gone under pressure roughly once every one or two months. The TPMS goes off and when I check, it is legitimate; usually one of the tires is below 25 psi, though this isn't the same tire every time. I always make sure to fill all of them up to around 1 psi over the recommended 32. I don't drive it that much, maybe ~200 miles/month, and I live in San Diego, so this isn't due to the cold. The shop at my dealership checked it out and didn't find any leaks or anything, but frankly this doesn't seem right to me. I've asked other Mazda 3 owners and nobody else seems to have to reinflate this frequently/
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    tires ... under pressure roughly once every one or two months. The TPMS goes off ... usually one of the tires is below 25 psi, though this isn't the same tire ... fill all of them up to around 1 psi over the recommended 32. I don't drive it that much, maybe ~200 miles/month

May not be a problem just a bit of a nuisance. Alternatively, you could record the exact date, the tire, psi and pressure loss to document the problem.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    Looking for advice for a Winter snow tire for a Mazdaspeed3.
    I need a rim and tire package and normally run Nokian tires but will need the tires shipped to me as the local Nokian is expensive for rims so figure I might as well go
    with a Tire rack package then switch over to Nokian tires later on.
    We get a mix of every kind of nasty weather so you never know what it will be doing outside and I travel all over NH, Maine and Massachusetts.
    The Speed3 has a lot of power running through the front wheels so that will probably make a difference.
    I'm used to AWD and dedicated snow tires.
    Some friends suggested Michelin X-Ice tires my concern is when the roads clear up they are fairly dry until the next storm.
    Was going to get Nokian WRG2's but they are more an all season tire. All that power through the front end might overwhelm them.
    I guess I can just buy rims and Nokian tires and spend more money but was hoping for a Tire Rack purchase
    just due to ease of buying.
    Any suggestions especially on tires? Thanks
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Canadians know something about winter. You may find the APA (Automobile Protection Association) site interesting: www.apa.ca

In their "Info Centre" they have a page of recommended winter tires. The top three winter tires are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5, Toyo Observe GO2+, and the Dunlop Graspic DS2. The Michelin X-Ice is listed in the "better than average" category.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    Canadians know something about winter. You may find the APA (Automobile Protection Association) site interesting: www.apa.ca
    In their "Info Centre" they have a page of recommended winter tires. The top three winter tires are Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5, Toyo Observe GO2+, and the Dunlop Graspic DS2. The Michelin X-Ice is listed in the "better than average" category

They sure do, best winter driving tips around are on one of the Canadian sites I have. I've driven a long time in winter and love the Nokian tires but they tend to wear very fast when the roads are bare and I burn them up fast. I live about 4.5 hours outside of Montreal (Sud)
    The Hakka 5's are replacements for the Hakka 1's which are an awesome winter tire. I bought Hakka Q's because they were more than a match for the weather here but I want a better balance of bare road and snowy slick icy wintry mix weather that we get and still get something that will last on the dry roads.
    I was hoping the Nokian WRG2's would work but they are so new.
    I'll check out the tires you mention for certain. Thanks :)
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Posts: 27
    I'm actually not sure how the dealer found out which sensor. He probably did it through a diagnostic check because i got the car back in like 15 minutes and I don't think it would take 15 minutes to take four tires off the wheels. Also this whole thing happened exactly 2 years ago and after that nothing ever happened regarding the TPMS system, even after my tires were replaced.
  • I'm thinking about buying some steel wheels with winter tires and was wondering if you had an update.

Did you try installing wheels without the TPMS sensors? If so, what happened? Is that idiot light beeping non-stop? Or does it just beep once, light flashing briefly, and then stays lit when you have wheels that don't have TPMS sensors?

Thanks!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,562
    Or does it just beep once, light flashing briefly, and then stays lit when you have wheels that don't have TPMS sensors?

Yes.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• To tell you the truth, I'm not sure it even beeps once. The "dinger" on this car is so quite that I rarely hear it.

None the less, it might beep once. Then it flashes for a couple of minutes then it stays on. It has not bothered me one bit. Any annoyance would be offset by the $300 savings for the TPMS. I'm not a big fan of that stuff anyway. Just like the stability control..... that stuff just irks me to no end. Hope this helps.

If you think that the light would bother you, I am sure you could get some black vinyl and cut a littl circle out to cover the light.

Happy snow running. The car is awesome with some good tires on it. The RSA are really bad in the snow.
  • Im new to this, so bare with me.

i have a 06 mazda 3

Q: Will 18'' CX7 tires and rims fit on a 2006 mazda 3 or while i need to modify it in anyway?
  • Check out mazda3forums.com , wheels/tires section. Some members there have installed the CX-7 rims, but you might have rubbing issues.
  • jfa1jfa1 Posts: 1
    I just bought a mazda 3 hatch with 205/50-17's. I'm thinking about getting new wheels and tires to improve my snow handling. Now I know I can reduce the diameter of the wheels to a 16" rim, but is it possible to reduce the width as well? Something under the standard 6.5"?
    Or if that is not possible, how thin a tire could I put on 6.5" rim?