Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    well...i actually don't own a mazda 3 :blush: but what the above poster said is true; 3 17's on the 3 are actually almost the same size as the 16's; they are 205 45 r 17's if i'm not mistaken. The wheelwell's on all the 3's are the same, so you should have no problem. As long as your tread on the tires is for the winter you will be ok.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "If the backspacing on your new rims is the same as the old rims and the overall diameter of the tires + rims is the same you will have no problems with fit....."

That's fine if your only concern is whether the rims/tires will fit without rubbing in the wheel well. But it doesn't take into account whether or not the brake rotors/calipers will fit within the smaller size rim.

Regarding the sedan vs. the 5-door: are the 16" rims on the sedan offered only on the 2.0l version (possibly with smaller brakes) or are the 16" rims also offered on the 2.3l version?
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 388
    Just to let you know I just bought a new 3 5 door here in Canada, and it came with the 16" wheels stock, so unless the US version uses different size brakes they should fit fine.
    Scott
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    i dunno about the newer ones, but someone at my church has an 05 2.3 sedan with stock 16's.
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    I thought the 3s comes with 17". I have the M3S GT 4 door with 17", stock. Maybe the 5 door comes with 16".
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I just checked Tire Rack's Upgrade Garage and they do not list any 16 inch wheels on dozens of choices. They do list a number of 16's for the 4 door (which is what I have) and therefore I would bet that for some reason the 16 inch size will not work on the 5 door. I have purchased at least 10 times from Tire Rack over the years, and I would be very surprised if they don't have this right.

I would go with the 17's and choose the best tire that's right for you. Even though a taller, narrower tire would be better when the conditions are really bad, one plus with the 17" is that it will handle a little better when the roads are clear or there is just a little snow. The other advantage is that they will look better.
    Thanks JBaumgart for this info. I have driven many cars with size 16 and 17 tires. There is a slight difference between them, However, there is a big difference in different types of weather. I have noticed that for sure, especially in the snow, rain, ice and mud. I live in Southern CA, therefore, 17" tires are the best for the weather and not only that, they look better and the ride feels smoother/better on the hot pavement. :)
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    It's Tuesday, and for those of you new to the forums, that means it's time for our weekly Mazda chat. Stop in this evening to meet and greet some of your fellow forums members, talk about the cars, share some CarSpace photos and videos, and in general have a good time!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

"Thanks JBaumgart for this info. I have driven many cars with size 16 and 17 tires. There is a slight difference between them, However, there is a big difference in different types of weather. I have noticed that for sure, especially in the snow, rain, ice and mud. I live in Southern CA, therefore, 17" tires are the best for the weather and not only that, they look better and the ride feels smoother/better on the hot pavement."

For winter wheels and tires I've usually downsized for the reasons you mention. I live in Minnesota so I have lots of experience driving in inclement weather. On one of my other vehicles it comes stock with 20" wheels, but when I ordered a wheel/tire winter package I went with 18 inchers. A smaller size winter tire makes the biggest difference in heavy snow, with its taller sidewall, but it also helps on compacted snow and ice as you get greater contact pressure - more weight on a narrower width. Like most everything else in life there's tradeoffs - maintaining the stock size will give better handling for the 90% of the time when the roads have been cleared or are otherwise dry, plus as we've mentioned they look better too.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    I have a 2005 Mazda 3s Hatch. Last year I purchased 16" steel rims and 205-55-16 Dunlop M3's for the winter. My car was undriveable in the winter with the all season 17's on. Tire Rack was great to work with. I too live in MN, and I switched tires out when we had that 80 degree day two weeks ago, now with the rate it is snowing today I'll have to switch back tonight!
    They could have changed something between the 2005 and 2007 models, but this shows that it's at least worth second look. I'll get a set before next winter for sure, as my 16 year-old daughter is the primary driver of this car. I know that with just a bit of late snow in March on our moderately sloped driveway, I had trouble with the stock 17" tires, so I'll need to get a separate set of wheels & winter tires for a relatively inexperienced driver. The only problem will be where to store them, as we already have 8 stacked high in our garage for our two all wheel drive SUV's (FX45 and RX330). Since the Mazda is just front wheel drive, it makes even more sense here in Minnesota.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    I think the main difference is all 2007 3's have TPMS. From reading at Tirerack, this system requires special TPMS adaptable rims.
  • markb3markb3 Posts: 23
    Only the GT sedan and GT sport come with 17" all other Mazda3s come with either 15" or 16". Mazdaspeed3 will have the 18".
    Thanks. Got it.
  • ayoda5ayoda5 Posts: 4
    BACKGROUND: Got a mazda3i w/ around 49,000 miles. Had new pads put on in Oct. 2006. Rotors resurfaced about 2 weeks ago.

PROBLEM: About a month ago (before rotors resurfaced and after new pads) a small squeaking noise began in my rear left wheel. Its an intermittent squeak which gets faster and louder the quicker I go. When I brake the noise disappears. To me this rules out a bearing problem (bearing failure is more of a grinding noise also, isn’t it?). My mechanic thought it might be an out of place shim, or some other type of interference. I plan on taking off the wheel to see if there is anything obvious.

I am confused b/c if it was the bearing then the noise shouldn’t stop when I apply the brakes, right? Also I just got new pads about 8,000 miles ago, and there is still plenty of pad left, and the resurfacing occurred after the noise popped up. So, the noise didn’t appear directly after any brake work. The only conclusion that I can make w/ my little knowledge is that something perhaps wasn’t installed quite right when the pads were done and now the interference is causing the noise.

Anyway its annoying the hell out of me, so if there is anyone out there who has any clues, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Id say take the wheel off and look for signs that the pad is sticking to the rotor. Sounds like the pads were not installed properly, unfortunatly its too late to bring it back in and make them fix it.
    Also check this site out...has some TSBs that refer to the rear brakes. See if what they describe sounds like your problem.
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins.html
  • jcsarpjcsarp Posts: 3
    My new 2007 Mazda3 GT has the same TPMS problem. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. Did your dealer find a fix for this problem? Thanks.
    I am having a TPMS problem on my new 2007 Mazda3 GT. The TPMS (Tire Pressure) warning light (!) turns on when I drive. It will flicker, and then stay lit, turning off during the drive and then sometimes turning back on. All four tires are holding pressure correctly. 32 psi when cold rising to about 34 - 35 psi when warm. The problem only occurs after the car has been driven for a period of time. The dealer said that a diagnostic scan indicated that the TPMS module was reading each tire pressure correctly, but the ID codes for each wheel sensor were not registered in the module. The dealer "registered" each wheel sensor and sent me on my way. The same TPMS warning light problem returned later. No change. Do I have a defective wheel sensor or a defective receiver module? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    How did your dealer know which wheel sensor was damaged? Did a diagnostic scan indicated the bad sensor or did the dealer remove the tire(s) to inspect the wheel sensor(s)? Thanks.

Re: TPMS Warning Light (!) - Mazda3 GT HB by m3fan3
    "i had the same exact problem the first day i bought my mazda 3. one of my sensors were broken. the dealer replaced it on the warranty with no problem."
  • Just purchased a 2008 Mazda3 Hatchback, and from day one, after driving for a while (10-15 miles) the TMPS warning light flickers, then remains on even though the tire pressure is at specs.

My dealer inspected the vehicle and found that the TPMS module was not aware of the wheel sensors. Their corrective action was to "re-learn the module".

This did not fix the problem however, and the TMPS warning light still comes on after driving 10-15 miles.

I'm in the process of scheduling a 2nd service appointment for this problem and would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had the same problem and subsequently had it fixed by the dealer.

I'd be interested in knowing what exactly your dealer did to fix the problem.

Regards,
    argb