Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Nope, not a chance.
  • Shoot, I'll have to look at other cars or wait & wear the tires out.
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    I have a brand new set over my garage RSA Eagles. I took them off because they are only good for dry pavement. I bet there are alot of people that have them on here.
    I'm keeping them because I'm dumping the Mazda. I'm waiing for a few more 2010 models to get here and the fact I only have 4700 miles on the car.
    Hey, check Mazda out I think they switched to another OEM tire.OOOppps no your tires won't fit. :shades:
    Well, a Mazda Speed is a fun ride and if you got 25K out of them you must have been smiling alot. :shades:
    I took the Eagle RS-As off my Mazda3 after only 714 miles and managed to get a decent price for them from someone who lives in the south and didn't really care about their lousy winter traction. In their place I mounted a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss, which have performed exquisitely and still look brand new after 10,000 miles.

When the Michelins wear out (I'm projecting at I'll get at least 40,000 miles out of them), I'm going to be hard pressed to justify replacing them with anything else as they're just too good on my car.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,571
    I switched to the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all-seasons; they are pretty good street tires. If I continue to track the car I'm going with a set of Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on some lightweight wheels.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Can't find them on Tire Rack. I found some locally,but they said TPMS will work. What do you think.
    The cheapest alloys were $115.00 each,and then $45.00 shipping., 4 steel rims $380.00.W/o hubcaps
    Ya, I know get the alloys, but I'm hopin' to get rid of Mazda.It cost me $160.00 @ Sullivan Tire (Shipo) to take off RSA Eagles and put the Dunlops on. Thats alot of Guiness money.So, if I don't sell,I have to get wheels. :confuse:
    I poked around on TireRack a bit and like you, I was unable to find any 17" wheels for a Mazda3 (although I did find 16" steelies for $55 per wheel). Given that this is the time of year when winter tire packages at TireRack are slim pickin's, it's hard to tell if they simply don't carry a 17" wheel, or whether they're just sold out for the season.

As for the what Sullivan Tire charged you to swap rubber, OUCH! I had mine done at my dealership a week after I bought the car and they only charged me $96.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • orca3orca3 Posts: 11
    $160.00 is alot(price gouging) - Tulley VW Mazda charged me $80.00 to take
    my Michelin xice's off and put the Bridgestone summer tires on(including
    balancing) and I get a $25.00 gift card from Mazda for a promotion they have
    going on non warranty service done before 03/31/09. Was this the Sullivan
    Tires in New Hampshire?
    No, Sullivan Tire Scarborough, ME. I'm never going back.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 275
    Pretty soon, I'll be needing to replace my stock Toyto Proxes. They ride hard and suck in all conditions, then again, my Mazda3 doesn't like rain or snow either...but that's another thread ;)

I'm thinking of picking up a set of 4 Michelin - Pilot® Exalto® A/S at Costco. I was thinking of the Nokian WRG2's because they have better rain and snow handling ability then the typical all season tire, but they're also considerably more expensive.

I don't drive hard or very fast, so a good tire that does well in rain and maybe snow. Any thoughts?
  • mazdazedmazdazed Posts: 34
    Check the reviews on the General Altimax HP's. I researched them on Tirerack.com and have decided to go with them to replace my OEM Goodyear's on my Maz 3. The price is right too.
    She has a Subaru GT and one tire was wearing due topoor alightment.Instad of replacing all four.She found the exact tire and withe same tread pattern and depth. Now she is worried if she did the right thing? :confuse:
  • ew1ew1 Posts: 3
    I drive mostly highway, city , suburbs. I need an all weather tire that corners well. I only put on about 10-12000 mpy. Yokohama avid t4 ? Local Tires plus has it. Other suggestions? Hate Bridgstonw, there is a Goodyear place up the street from me. THX
    Go to www.tirerack.com. Type make , year and model and they will bring up 8 or so tires and reviews for your car. Shipo in NH put Michelin Pilots on his a while ago and swears by them. I took the RSA Goodyears OEMs's off my car the day I bought it.Now I have Dunlop sport Sigs on it. Alot of snow here.Read only the reviews where someone has put some miles on the tires . :shades:
    Speaking of miles, hmmm, let's see, I bought the Mazda3 on 17-Nov-2008 and here we are 4.5 months later and I'll be flipping over 11,000 miles on the way home tonight (all but the first 714 have been driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires). The good news is that my tires still look new and I'm thinking that I'll get an easy forty to fifty thousand miles out of them. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Well, I think I'm going to hang on to the MS3 and equip it for more serious track work- Enkei RS-M wheels, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec rubber, Hawk HP+ front pads, and my Mazdaspeed CAI. If I can get 20K out of the Dunlops I'll be happy.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Sounds like a plan. :) So, does that mean that every time you swap the rubber you're also going to be swapping bushings as well? :P

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • ew1ew1 Posts: 3
    Thanks, I did that and came up with your Dunlops, Yokohama and a few others. Although there is a wonderful helpful Goodyear place right across the street from me, I don't want them.Michelins are a bit $$$ for me.
    I only have 23000 + miles on this buggy so I am looking for tires that will last me a while :)
    So, does that mean that every time you swap the rubber you're also going to be swapping bushings as well? :P

I hope not! In any event, the PZero Nero M+S is a decent tire for all-season use, I ought to be able to go 2-3 years without replacing them since I'll only be running them from November through March. The Dunlops are supposed to be a streetable track tire, and everything that I've read has been very positive. We'll see...

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    My '06 Mazda3 s 5-door had Goodyear Eagles standard and they barely lasted past 30k miles. I took it to a local Goodyear shop and learned replacing them with the same tires would be almost $1000!

The guy suggested Dunlop SP Sport Signatures (almost half the price of the Goodyears). I've put another 38k on the car since then and couldn't be happier. The ride is better, handling is still great and they're wonderful in the rain. They have a 60k treadlife warranty, too.
  • vovanivovani Posts: 7
    and may i ask why you took the OEM tires without even trying them out??

i've had my 09 Mazda3 HB for over almost 2 months now, put over 600 miles on it.. drove in the heavy rain at least 3 times.. no issues at all.. i drive fast, never turn my radar detector off.. specifically tested hard stops to check them out, no problems..

am i doing something wrong? although i haven't had a chance to drive these Goodyear RSA's in the snow yet..
    I took the RS-As off of my 2003 Mazda3 i Touring after 714 miles, that said, I ordered my new tires from TireRack the day I bought the car. Why? Primarily due to the nearly universal negative reviews on the RS-As. It turned out to be a good thing I did too, because in the week it took to get the tires and get an appointment scheduled to have them fitted, we had a fair amount of rain and snow. My complaints regarding these tires are 1) they were very twitchy and skittish on dry pavement, 2) they felt more than a bit slippery in rain, and 3) they were positively diabolical in the snow (I couldn't even get up my street one evening and had to leave the car there until the snow plow came by, and there was only an inch on the ground).

Long story short, Eagle RS-As are possibly the worst tire I've ever had on a car, and given that their price is somewhere north of $200 per tire, they could possibly be the worst deal in tires in the history of the automobile.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • vovanivovani Posts: 7
    thanks for sharing your experience with your OEM tires..

however, I noticed yours was 2003 model.. is it possible that the manufacturer improved quality of the tires considerably in the 6-year timeframe due to numerous complaints from customers and push from Mazda?
    anyone with 2009 model want to share their experience with OEM tires?

thanks!
    Woops! Sorry, my bad. My Mazda3 is a 2009 model purchased new in mid November of 2008.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • hiwaystarhiwaystar Posts: 10
    I pick up my new 2010 tomorrow and am a little concerned about snow handling capabilities of the car/tires in Wisconsin. Luckily (or not) we may be in for a late season 6" snowfall on Sunday so I will probably find out early on if my decision to buy the "fun" mazda3 rather than the fully loaded and substantially discounted 2009 mazda tribute AWD was a poor one.
    Tirerack has no reviews or test data on these new OEM tires so perhaps I will be the first.
    I wouldn't sweat it; at worst you might need to buy a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires for @$1000 or so. The Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all-season tires fitted on my Mazdaspeed3 worked fine in the snow and slush.

• evoievoi Posts: 1
    Are you doing something wrong? Yes, you are driving too fast. :sick: :sick: :sick: link">
    Are you doing something wrong? Yes, you are driving too fast.

I agree; I usually keep my Mazdaspeed under 85 mph- unless I'm at the track... ;)

• sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    I have the stock 17" Goodyear tires which came with my 2009 3i touring value.
    What are some good budget tires on the market which are good in rain and snow?
    We don't get a whole lot of snow and when we do, the roads get clear quickly. I am more concerned with good traction in rain, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on new tires. Any suggestions?