Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Tire & Wheel Questions

Comments

• davedfdavedf Posts: 4
    ouch. has anyone be able to get Mazda or the tire company to warranty them or is that a lost cause?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Probably a lost cause, that said, if Goodyear was to come to your aid, they'd probably want to replace the worn out rubber with more of the same. The fact is, the Eagle RS-As are a piece of junk, and while a different size and grade of that tire may do well on police cars and such, it is totally inappropriate for the Mazda3. Do yourself a favor and buy a decent set of tires from either your favorite tire shop or from http://www.tirerack.com, and don't look back. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • rbucc1rbucc1 Posts: 4
    I've been disappointed with the tire on my 2006 M-3.
    I complained to the dealer and they said the Alignment must be done annually, I had the alignment done twice and it was in-spec both times. I was told I needed to rotate the tires more, I followed the 7500 miles in the manual.
    I put Kumhos on and did not rotate at all. Have about 25k miles on them. The fronts are wearing well. the backs are cupping on the inside, the specs call for too much positive camber and the shocks are probably not helping. The suspension is a weak part of the design in my opinion.
    "The suspension is a weak part of the design in my opinion."

That depends entirely upon your perspective. The suspension on the Mazda3 is tuned for handling (at the expense of some tire wear) and it shows as this car will easily run rings around the likes of a Civic at the track. That said, I've never heard of a FWD car that wouldn't cup the rear tires if they were never rotated, and that goes back to the dawn of the FWD revolution that took place back in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    put Kumhos on and did not rotate at all. Have about 25k miles ... the backs are cupping on the inside
    Why aren't you having your tires rotated?
  • Hi,

Does anybody know what is the material used for the wheel of this vehicle? Aluminum or magnesium? I plan to use the all wheel cleaner from Meguinar's. But the direction says don't use it on magnesium wheels. Thank you.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,386
    I use several Meguiars products, but Eagle One makes the best wheel cleaner.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• OK, I will answer this question by myself. Based on the manual, the wheel is aluminum alloy wheel.
  • bgfbgf Posts: 3
    Anyone tried the 2010 17-inch OEM Yoko AVID tires in the snow yet? I'm hoping that some earlier buyers from late 2008 to early 2009 tried the tires in the snow.
  • bgfbgf Posts: 3
    So did you find out how the tires did?
  • My daughter has a 2010 Mazda 3 Speed with 17 inch wheels.
    She has an almost new set of Hakka's 205/65-15 from an older BMW.
    The 2008 (for example) Mazda 3 used 15 inch wheels.
    Will the 2008 Mazda 3 15 inch wheels fit on a 2010 Madza 3 S with the Hakkas mounted?
    Using the
    site indicates very little difference in size.
    It is almost inconceivable that wheels from an older RWD BMW will mount up to a FWD 2010 Mazda3. A quick way to check would be to go to TireRack.com (http://www.tirerack.com) and configure up a set of wheels and tires for both cars, and then look as the bolt pattern, offset hub sizes of the two wheel types. My bet is that they won't even be close.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Since the Dealer initially blamed wheel alignment, I called him on it and said the cars been aligned twice, the as found readings were reported in-spec by you guys (The Dealer) and then he blamed not rotating the tire, however, I did rotate the 1st set of tires. The first set only lasted 25k miles. I decided not to rotate the tires just to see where the problems would show up. It turns out the fronts are fine after 25k and I can easily get another 10k miles on them.

The backs are cupped on the inside and I'm considering just swapping the back tires on the rims to put the cupping on the outside, where there is hardly any road contact due to the positive camber required on the rear tires.
  • I only use the car for work, 20 miles each way, 75% highway. Since the first set of tires lasted 25k miles, I figure this new set is performing a little better, at least the front tires are. The new fronts have 25k and look good, they should easily get another 10-20k. I guess I could replace the rears in kind and I'm curious to try a new set of shocks to see if this reduces the cupping.

Since the rears have so much positive camber, maybe I'll swap the rears on the rims to get the good tread on the inside where most of the contact is.

Any suggestions?
  • Oops, I'm positively sure it negative camber and not positive camber.
  • Hi! Is there a problem with the Mazda3 being hard on tires. I have had two sets of Michelin tires (Harmony & Energy) become scalloped and very noisy. We were able to reduce the noise considerably on the present set (Energy) by putting a front tire on the back but I don't think the problem is solved. My other car (Toyota Camry 2007) has the same tires and they ride noiselessly.
    Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
    Ernie
    What year is your Mazda3?

FWIW, I have a 2009 Mazda3 i that came with 205/50 R17 Goodyear Eagle RS-A that had such horrible reviews that I replaced them with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires when the car h ad 714 miles on the clock. The good news (for me at least) is that the Michelins still look practically new after 20,000 miles. I don't know if my experience differs from yours due to the different tires, a different suspension setup on my model year of car, or both.

Keep us posted.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • u542u542 Posts: 11
    Has anyone tried out the Nokian WRG2 205 50 17 tires on thier Mazda 3 .Just wondering.They look like a good tire.Thanks for any info.
  • psdm1psdm1 Posts: 1
    Hi:

I recently bought a 2007 Mazda3 hatchback (have wanted one for quite a while - what a great car, I'm loving it already!). I have a general tire question:

The tires are 205/50R17 Bridgestone, with max pressure rating of 51 psi. I see that Mazda recommends tire pressure of 32 psi, and that's about where they're set. (And the TPMS, which my car has, is set to around that same value I think),

This default pressure of 32 seems really low to me. In other cars, I've always preferred higher tire pressures, closer to the max rating; it gives a harsher ride, sharper steering, better mileage, and it's debatable whether it increases the wear on the tire.

Does anyone else here use higher tire pressures for normal driving? If so, what value are you using?
    I typically tend to run my tire pressure a few pounds above the manufacturer's recommendation, and in my Mazda3 I use 36. I don't like going much above that as the suspensions are designed to use the tires for a limited amount of shock absorption and when the pressure is too high, ball joints, struts and various other pivot points and bushings tend to wear out much quicker.
    run my tire pressure a few pounds above the manufacturer's recommendation, and in my Mazda3 I use 36
    Ditto for my Mazda Protege5. The 32 pound setting gives a softer and less precise feeling to the ride. I would be cautious going much higher (i.e. in the 40's) for an extended period of time though.
  • i just bought this car on Jan 7, 2009. It has 8,300miles on it, and it already needs 2 new front tires to pass inspection... now, i didnt rotate my tires (my fault there). but should they have worn out that fast?? i dont drive like a maniac.
    If your car came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires, then yes, those suckers wear out quickly. Over on a different board I heard so many claims of premature wear with these tires before I bought my 2009 Mazda3 that I opted ti order a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires the day I bought my car and had the RS-As yanked after only 714 miles. FWIW, those tires now have almost 22,000 miles on them and aren't even half gone yet. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    8,300miles ... needs 2 new front tires ... didnt rotate my tires (my fault there). but should they have worn out that fast?

You're right on both counts: you should rotate your tires and regular tires should last longer than 10,000 miles or one year. Good luck with your next set (which I guess will not be Eagle RS-A tires). You may want to consider biting the bullet and getting a set of 4 new tires like Shipo did.
  • my son's only lasted 6000 miles!
  • You might consider Bridgestone Potenza tires, the specific tire picked to match your driving conditions.
    I have found them to be good handling and reasonable wearing tires.
    consider Bridgestone Potenza tires ... reasonable wearing tires

Interesting. How many miles do your tires have? What size (e.g. 205/50/16) and speed rating (e.g. V rated) do they have?
  • Tell me about it. My 2006 Mazda 3 hatchback just got 4 new tires due to the poor wear of the Goodyear Eagles. I had barely 20,000 on this car and did mostly inner-city driving. Part of the problem was my fault for not getting them rotated enough. Now I'm going to rotate them at every oil change to help keep my Potenza's wearing evenly. The tire men said the Goodyear's were too soft. Hopefully these Bridgestones will last longer. I got the better ones that are suppose to last 50,000 miles, but I doubt mine will due to my inner-city driving habits. My rear tires were practically bald and my front ones were not much better. What a rip off these Goodyears were. Nevertheless, I love driving my little Mazda - a fun little funky car and have had nothing go wrong with it mechanically. :)
  • Picked up my 2010 in late July....has the same tires as you got....how did they do in that late April snow? I'm curious if I need to invest in winter tires...live in Southern Indiana where they don't salt but rather sand/salt mixture. So far dealers have been telling me I should be fine....

Also have you had any problem with tire pressure problems. Looks like there was a possible issue in previous years...

Love the car otherwise...
    Thanks!
  • Mazda 3 2.3, 25K miles. Just burned throught the second set of rear tires in 25K!!!!!

Negative camber for good handling causes the problem! No solutions. Wish an energetic lawyer would find this issue!

My solution is to trade this tire eating monster off this weekend. A great, fun car to drive....but new tires every 12-15k miles isn't on my list.

Warn your friends!