Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL - Buy Now or Wait for 4th Generation?

2»

Comments

• willis3willis3 Posts: 76
    Corrrect, 2009 Acura TL will debut in Fall 2008.

If you are concerned about having the newer body style, then wait until Fall of this year. However, I know lots of people who are reluctant to purchase the very first year of the Full Model Change. They say the end of the cycle is the best time to purchase because all of the bugs have been worked out. If you are a believer of this, then the 2008 TL is the car for you.

I have an 2007 TL Type S and the car is a joy to drive. :)
  • rajnirajni Posts: 4
    Thanks for your comments. I'm 95% sure that I will buy the 2008 TL model (as of now) but things might change, you never know!
  • Not to throw another monkey wrench into the works here but I had an '03 TLS and an '05 TL and the difference was night and day. Better looks, better engine, better technology. If you buy an '08, you might just find yourself jones'n for an '09 in the fall. ;)
  • jes95jes95 Posts: 1
    At a recent auto show, a sales person at the Acura booth said to me "if you're really interested in a new TL wait until April or May for the new model announce".

He wouldn't elaborate any further.

Anyone know what he meant?

thanks......
    o okay i dont know what to say o okay okay ooo okay
    the tl or the TL is the the car that MITE be the TL of the futures baba black cat have you any fool yes sir yes sir three jars fulllll
    papa papa ooo okay okay
  • Does anyone know if any 2 door coupe's are in Acura's future?
    yes yes i think there is one yes yes 2 wheel car u mean 2 wheel with 2 doors u mean
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, no, not exactly.

Look, we're glad to have you as a new member, but please understand that we're having focused conversations here; we're not too into silliness for its own sake. If you'd like to contribute, we'd very much appreciate it if you join us in that same spirit. Your first two posts were spot on. These last two... well, you get the point.

Thanks.
  • The thing to do is to read up on the car - I've heard shared AWD, but that's about it - some people say hard drive, but it's hard to know what's reliable. Nevetheless, if you can figure out what changes are in the works, you can figure out whether it's worth the wait.

1 other option to toss out there. If you're concerned about new model year cars, you could probably buy, lease, or take over the lease of a 2005 or 2006 TL where the lease would run out in 2009 or 2010.

PS- If you want a manual transmission, I'd go with an '05 or '06. The '07 requires you to get a Type s and I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.
  • tim69tim69 Posts: 4
    I'm not sure if this is a right place to ask. I'm waiting for the better deals on 08' TL right before 09' comes out. The question is extra money spent on Type S, or $2500 nav system worth it? How's F-1 inspired paddle auto shifts compares with manual?
    I'd really appreciate a feedback who has experience in both.
    Thanks
    Tim :)
  • maxmanmaxman Posts: 11
    Hi Tim I was in the same situation you were in and I have been watching this car since this time last year when was looking to purchase a 2007 model. Acura comes out with dealer incentives in stages. Just like last year around this time Acura put a $2000 dealer incentive on the car. As it got closer to 2008 around late summer Acura increased the incentive to $2500. As of the moment there is a $2000 incentive on all 2008 TL models. If you really need $500 them I would wait till summer. However, just as I learned if your really picky about the color and have to have a manual transmission you may be out of luck waiting till summer as you may discover you may not be able to find the color combo your looking for as the plants have down time to switch to the new model year and the incentives are only good on the old model. So I learned and waited till the incentive of $2000 came out on the 2008s then I ordered. Beware that it will take 60-80 days for your new car to arrive from the Ohio plant where it is manufactured at. In regards to the F-1 inspired paddle auto shifts and manual, I did not even think twice I hands down took the manual. No mater how advanced these manumatic features are they are still not suitable substitute for that third pedal. Just for giggles I test drove a Type-s automatic before I ordered my stick and I was not impressed I think the paddles are way too small to grab in a hurry if you wanted to downshift without having to think. Good luck.
  • tim69tim69 Posts: 4
    Thank you maxman. That's what I feel - paddle shifts not as good as manual. My 05' Pilot lease ends in June, I guess by that time we will know what to expect from 09 TL and when it comes out ( Sept- Oct??). I hope 08 type S will be available and $2500 dealer incentive will be even sweeter.
    Tim
  • Live in the midwest snow country. Considering an 08 TL w/navi. Concerned about traction in the snow and torque steer on the TL. The RL is a consideration, but at a large increase in $$$. Any thoughts or advice from current owners would be appreciated.
  • maxmanmaxman Posts: 11
    No problem...well I took delivery of my 08 TL- Type-S 6mt last Friday. Being a Nissan/ Infiniti man I have to say I am really impressed with the vehicle. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of the notion of buying an over priced Accord but the cars feel and behave totally different. The appointments are first rate and the navi, blue tooth, voice command interface work with amazing precision. I thought up until this point that the Nissan/ Viston in car communications system was the best one going but, this one I have to say is slightly better. If your are concerned about traction in the snow you may want to consider the AWD RL, as my manual equipped TL-S does have a very noticeable amount of torque steer despite what the automotive press describes as a “slight amount of torque steer”. The only difference from the Maxima's/ Altima's have owned previously is that with the TL the car is so refined that even though you know the car is sliding away from you still feel like you have control vs. the Nissans where you know that you do not have control of the car and felt that you would crash at any moment. With this in mind I think your needs would be better suited with a 2008 Infiniti M35x or G35x. They are better equipped, offer more class, better residual value and both tend offer more features at a lower or about the same $$ if equipped correctly. The only gripes I have about this car are the already talked about torque steer but hey big HP w/ front wheel drive= the devil, so I already knew what I was getting myself into, XM sound quality is cut in half when switched from regular radio or CD (I still think the Bose system in my old 02 Maxima SE sounded better), no RDS for regular radio, need to a better job of matching the plastic bumpers with the metal as the plastic appears darker from an angle no loaner car (only for warranty work), not to impressed with first week mpg but it new so I hope it will improve, lack of right now low end gunt (can’t pull away from 3rd gear from an almost dead stop) in this regards the VQ35DE V6 from Nissan/ Infiniti still hold the crown in that department. But other than those few issues I am really pleased with the car but next time around I will opt for G35s 6mt.
  • If he was nothing more then a sales person, then he does not know anything more then what you or I know as it is. The 2009 TL is being kept as a very good secret for some reason or another.

I am a sales person here in the delaware area, and i have the color chips sitting in front of me for the 2009 RL and the 2009 TSX, but no pictures on the 2009 TSX, apart from what Acura sent us a week back. One single shot of the front end.

Back to the TL, only the top executives and a hand full of designers know about it right now.

BTW here are a few new color chips being offered by Acura;

2009 RL;
    Alberta White Pearl
    Grigio Metalic
    Platinum Frost Metallic
    Silver Jade Metallic
    Crystal Black Pearl
    Tuscan Beige Metallic

2009 TSX;
    Premium White Pearl
    Palladium Metallic
    Crystal Black Pearl
    Vortex Blue Pearl (looks like the '08 TL-S blue)
    Glacier Blue Metallic
    Grigio Metallic
    Basque Red Pearl (taking over the '08 TSX Morocan Red)

Will keep updated as I hear more from the regional manager
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I moved a recent conversation thread to a more appropriate discussion. Let's continue here: irvine555, "Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans" #10751, 7 Mar 2008 11:24 am.
  • donniemdonniem Posts: 4
    I bought the truck new and owe roughly $8k. About two years ago I got a promotion that requires me to travel to central and philly area. I live in Cape May Nj and I'm spending between $125-$150 per week for gas.

One of the main reasons I purchased the truck was for my hobby of fishing ect...beach access and towing a small boat. With the new job and little one I dont have time for that anymore.

With that being said I've been in love with the 3rd gen Acura TL's.

My wife and I own three cars...98 VW beetle and 96 Vette. The VW was paid off years ago and she owes about the same as what I owe on the truck. The VW is her daily driver and the Vette just doesnt get used like it once was.

One option I was considering was trading in my truck.

I'm just looking for some advice on what, if anything I should do here.

Thanks
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,661
    From a practical standpoint, it sounds like it might be good to keep the truck vs. the Vette. If you can afford it, sell the Vette and use the $ to pay off the other car loans (unless you have a wicked low interest rate...). Soon, you will be taking el nino to the beach, on the boat etc. and bringing a lot of stuff, so the Tacoma would be nice to have.

If you really don't need/can't use the truck/Vette, sell 'em both (or trade) towards the new TL.

The TL does get very good highway mpg. Local driving is where it can suffer a bit. There are great deals on the current TL, just note that with Gen4 on its way, supply may start becomming more limited.

What is very attractive about the TL (beyond its handsome style! and just all-around goodness!) is you do get a lot of car for the $. FOrget MSRP, think invoice on down. My only caveat is the snow performance ain't good. Snow probably isn't a big deal in Cape May?, but as you travel a lot, if snow is in the picture, get winter tires!

Promotion, huh? Wonder what that's like... :sick:

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

2»
This discussion has been closed.