Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf Engine Problems

Comments

• sorry i am new i did change the fuel filter too could it be the immoboliser as a few people have said it could be thanks for the help anyway will try and check the fuel line
  • i have a 97 vw gti golf.. everything on it was fine until one day i ran out of gas, i put more fuel but now it sounds as if the fuel pump doesn't even come on.. can anyone help please.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    Fuel pumps are electric and sit inside the fuel tank. The fuel is what cools off the pump. Running you tank dry, or even very low, can cause the pump to overheat. Given the age of your Golf, you may have fried the pump.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Sometimes it takes several times for plugs to warm up, and after a few days, the battery runs flat, the lights are still bright, but i do a 20 minute drive to work and then try to start again and its dead, and sometime it starts ok, am wondering if there is a sneak circuit somewhere? Also could a dirty air filter make starting difficult?
  • How often should glow plugs be changed and is it a fairly easy job to do? I have had the car for a year now, and have changed fuel and oil filter.
  • I recently purchased a 97 Golf Trek Edition and I'm experiencing higher than normal rpms when in 5th gear. I'm crusing at about 110km/hr and I'm reving at about 2800-3000 rpm. I don't think this is normal. Can anyone please give me an idea of what the problem could be and a solution? My fuel milage is suffering.

I have a V8 truck that only rpm's at 2000rpm on the highway.

Thanks,

ValleyVW :confuse:
  • 2002 2.0L Miss-fire Cyl #4
    A constant issue.
    I put new plugs in, it still misfired, but cleared up. car sat for a week, then its misfiring all the time on cyl4, if I try to drive it, then cyl3 misfires. then i loses sooo much power it can barely get up to 35mph.
    Any ideas?
    Replaced the fuel filter, tried injector cleaner, and new plugs...
    it actually ran great for a little while. it happens all the time, but before when it wasn't bad it was in the mid-range and mid throttle.
  • I am going to put in a new O2 sensor, hope that works. Also, might look for a shop that can do the out of car injector cleaning, then if that still doesn't work, then i am going to replace the ignition system.
    This little car was nice when it ran, very under powered, but i liked the 30mpg, and the heated seats.
    This is certainly my last VW Gas. I would look in to a TDI jetta wagon for the wife (pre 2007). Aside from that, i hate the 2.0L engine, with its aluminium oil pan and steel drain bolt. The threads stripped out, so i used an over sized plug. and its oil consumption of 1qt every 1500miles is not acceptable (VW said its normal). So, if I change the oil every 7K like factory states, it will be empty.
    JUNK MOTOR.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Is there a pressure release valve when fuel is at or less than 1/4 tank? Was driving the other day and found gas leaking under fuel tank. When I got the car home all leaking stopped. And has not leaked since.
  • mintykmintyk Posts: 1
    hi i wonder if any 1 can help i have a 1.6 fsi mk 5 golf & the engine managment light came on, the code which came up was 19498 heat regulation (P3042)
    the dealership advised me it was the cam belt which i got changed, but a week later it has come up again
    Does any one now what that code means?
  • vwalyvwaly Posts: 1
    Hi
    Wondering if anyone out there had some good advice.

My Golf GT TDI Mk 5 is misfiring around 30mph intermittantely. The dealer says there is no problems and its still under warranty. The car is also stalling from cold if not 'revved' up enough. Hard to do when you drive an automatic!

Anyone had similar problems to this?
  • johng877johng877 Posts: 1
    i hope someone can help me i have a 98 vw golf 2.0L i was on the 401 hwy and the car shut off and never started after that i thought it was the pump because i left it low all the time stupid me but anyway i put a new pump in still never started so we checked the spark no spark so i just put another coil on now it still wont start only this time it chugs when u turn the key off so lots of gas lots of spark i was thinking maybe the timing jumped but im not sure hope someone knows something

thnx you
    john :confuse:
  • volkydubvolkydub Posts: 1
    Hi there - Mine has had the same misfire since i owned it (Bought from new 2004), been in the garage for weeks at a time, mine had the stalling at first, always worse in the rain or when damp, had several software reloads on the ECU to the latest version, only things that make it better is using the premium diesel or adding millers fuel additive, also runs best on BP standard diesel, best improvement was a year ago when they changed a sensor on the fuel pump after having it for a week. But still doing it, did it today, seems to be around the 1100 -1300 Rev range (30mph), if you hold it around this in neutral you can feel the car running rough / mis-firing, mine does it on same road same place every morning,ok when warmed up, but can do it when hot also, VW say its a known problem and they all do it! Great eh! what about fixing it. Not bad for a car that cost me 20k!
  • markj13markj13 Posts: 6
    i have a vw golf,1.9tdi pd 150bhp.its running on 3 cylinders all the time,all of a sudden happened when it was under power.is there any common faults on these engines i need to look for or has anyone had the same happen to them???cheers
  • bluec10bluec10 Posts: 1
    I've come to the end of a long road repairing my Golf. The car has been sitting for about a year. I added some fresh gas to the tank and some injector cleaner. I just replaced a bunch of gaskets, including the head gasket, repaired the exhaust, and put in new NGK plugs. I was very careful to set the #1 cylinder at TDC before I removed the head and I wired the timing pully so it couldn't move. I've double and triple checked all the connections and wires. When I crank the car it turns over, but won't run more than a few seconds. It sounds kind of like a Harley. The RPMs don't get over 1000. I suspect it might be a timing issue (?), but there is no way to adjust the timeing except by moving the belt/pulley relationship. Could it be a sensor? Any help would be welcome.
  • i've had a problem with my golf for the last 6 months. it miss fires when stationary, i had the plugs changed on a service, ive also changed leads, rotary arm and distributor cap but miss fire is still their. it shakes the engine around which has caused my exhaust to fall apart a few times now. i don't know what to do next, Anyone got any ideas for me?
  • 87 Golf 1.8 engine

Problem:

itermittent slight loss of power, slight hesitation during acceleration. Car idles OK sometimes but when giving it gas in park it hesitates a little. When driving on the road it can run for 15min l go back to running crappy after 15 minutes. Had a vw garage tell me its the ecu or 02 sensor after spending 2.5 hrs diagnosing. they said they needed 3-4 more hrs to diagnose further. I replaced fuel pump, filter, 02 sensor, checked vacume lines etc. still not fixed. I did notice that unplugging LAmbda valve harness connection next to fuel distributor the car ran the same as if the computer is not seeing it.

Thanks in advance for any advise. scott
  • scowlscowl Posts: 1
    Fionah! You posted this over a year ago and I am having the same exact problem with the EPC light and the emissions light. I have the exact same milage on my car as you did when you had this problem. Did you ever figure out what it was????
  • I have a 1996 Golf GL. It was running fine for about 45 minutes and then died when I was turning at a light. Had to tow it and since then have checked to see if it had sparks and it did. Checked the fuel pump and it was fine. Would like to plug it into a diagnostic port but cant find it. The electrical system is fine too but it still wont start. Can any one PLEASE help me??????
  • I am having the same problem. The car starts, it has spark, but turns off consistantly. I know of only 3 possible problems. The cps (crank position sensor), the coil pack, or the chip in the key. I also know that you can check the resistance of the cps and the coil pack to verify they are working within factory specs. But I am looking for those resistance specs. Once I am certain that these 2 parts are within specs I can only deduce that the chip in the key maybe on it's way out. Have you resolved the issue with your car? What did you check and what was ultimately the problem?
  • Have you checked all relays ?
    They have some werid circuits. Mine calmed down after changing the relays. Changed too many at one time to tell you the specific one.
    Best of luck
  • AbidfAbidf Posts: 1
    Took my 03 Golf in today to figure out why the engine light came on and they told me that some codes came up but they don't know what they mean...
    Any ideas what these codes may mean?

P2181/18613
    P1326 CYL 2
  • Hi All, I have a 1990 Golf gti that im having problem with. about a week 1/2 ago my car started to misfire and have black smoke when I press on gas. & will only go 10m/h.( no power at all ) I've changed spark plug wires, spark plug, ignition coil, rotor & distributor cap. I even changed the two sensor connected to the hose fr. radiator to engine. ( i think its fan & temp switch ) funny thing is when I disconnected the 2 sensors car will run. NO misfired, NO black smoke & has power. but the idle is really low. car died in every stop. I don't know what else to check. this car is been good to me ever since I bought it fr. a friend 4yrs ago. sometimes i'll have problem w/ it. but never sits in the garage for more than a day. it get fixed... but now car is parked in the garage for about 2 weeks now & have NO clue what was wrong w/ it!!!

Pls. if anyone had this problem from the past I need your advise desperately.

thx in advanced
    zee :cry:
  • amcvwamcvw Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Golf w/123k miles. In Nov 08 I had the catalytic converter replaced. Last week had the cam positioning sensor replaced. Now check engine light is back and says the converter is bad. Symptoms when it broke down last week: check engine light came on and after about 40 min on highway the car had trouble accelerating. It chugged once and the EPC light came on and off that quick. It finanally died and I had it towed to a local mechanic who first checked the converter and said it's like new. Then the computer showed a bad cam sensor but he also said it could be a bad engine. I had it towed to VW and they replaced the sensor. The next morning the check engine light was back on and I took it right to VW - the computer says the converter is bad. My mechanic stands by the converter and said it's fine. What other underlying problems might there be to cause this? Did the bad sensor cause something else to go bad?
  • xanchadadxanchadad Posts: 1
    I have had a problem with my 94 Golf, pulling away from stoplight my car wants to hesitate, it will do it one in a while but them be fine. but as of late it has gotten worse, yesterday i could barely get the car home about 2 miles. i have no idea where to begin to look. i need help i have to drive it back to Philly tomorrow in an in DC. :mad: :confuse: :cry:
  • My golf gti has a idolizing problem, which is making it rev up and down on its own, can anyone please help as it is doing my head, if not i will look to sell it if i cant it sorted,

thanks
  • cmcgarrycmcgarry Posts: 1
    hi im just woundering if anyone could help me i have a 58 plate mk 5 fsi golf and i have been experiencing problems with noises from the engine for ages now and the manufacturer says theres nothing wrong with it now ive taken it back and they are now telling me i need a new engine! im just woundering if anyone else has had this problem as its not even a year old yet and im having to have a new engine fitted!
  • bortlebortle Posts: 2
    I had my sons 2 liter motor replaced(used motor 60 miles on it) The motor ran great and then it spit out the harmonic balancer. I had the car repaired which included vlaves in the head, timing belts,serpantene belt and the removal of the broken bolt that holds on the harmanic balancer pully, and replaced spark plug.The car runs great! I get a call from my some he states(I parked the car its smell like rubber burning) I go the car check it out oils full ,coolants full. I fire it up and its sqeulls I look down and the air conditioner is on so I turn it off. the sqeull stops. I drive the car home it runs great.one week later the I get a call from my son(somethings wrong with my car). I go look at it and the harmanic balancer is on the ground!!!!!!wow any ideas(all the work done untill this time was done by professional people)
    Don
  • bortlebortle Posts: 2
    you may be 180 degrees off with your timing or you might have swicthed plug wires just a couple Ideas.Did you pull your distibutor?
  • hi, this morning i had to put the jump leads on my golf tdi,the glow plug light has been flashing ever since,the vw main dealer says that it is the engine management and wants to charge me £75 to put it on a diagnostic machine.can anyone give me an idea as to what the problem may be.