Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf Engine Problems

124»

Comments

• 1.8 ohc. Stalling was starting prior too the replacement. I have located the vacuum check valve still looking for new part. Vapor separator system, sounds like I have the right part. May need new cam cover so as to increase the quantity of vacuum from the engine.
  • your stereo has to have to 4 digit code entered. should be written in your owners manual somewhere. i had the same problem but didn't have the code. if that is your case then just buy a new stereo. i did at best buy for $70. the only other way to get the code is if u get the stereo serial # and pay them $95. to enter the code hold down the far right/bottom button and one of the far right scrolls for 3 sec. u only have 2 chances to enter the right code or byby radio. just get a new one. the security light inst for your cars alarm sys just for the radio...ie the problem ur having. happens any time the battery is disconnected or the radio looses power. good luck.
  • chrisj100chrisj100 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi All,

I'm new to this forum...

Just bought a 57 plate VW Golf 1.9 Tdi Match with 44k on the clock. I've noticed that when I switch the engine off there is sometimes a 'groaning' noise that lasts up to 10 seconds. It starts off quite loud and gradually gets quieter (and lower pitched) - sounds like something slowing down - a belt or fan perhaps. The car came with a 30 day warranty so I took it back to the dealer who says it's nothing serious, just one of the engine modules making a noise - they seem reluctant to do anything about it. Not sure if they're pulling the wool over my eyes with the 'module' explanation or it's something more serious.

Any ideas?

Ps. I also noticed that the air intake cover wasn't attached - not sure if this might be related.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    Just for future reference, it is customary to use a supplemental power-supply to temporarily supply voltage to the system whilst the battery is being R&R.

A typical way to provide external voltage is to use a standard 9Volt battery connected thru the power-outlet inside the vehicle. Using this technique, the radio will NOT go into 'SAFE' mode and the onboard computer will not lose its programming.
    edited January 2012
    Are you letting the engine/turbocharger to idle for awhile before shutting down?
    Are you certain you are not hearing the turbocharger 'spin down'?

Of course, if you are hearing the turbocharger 'spin down'... then you may not be allowing your TDI to idle for several seconds before shutting-down the engine. This is a sure way to destroy the turbocharger-bearings.

As soon as you shut-down the engine, the oil-supply to the turbocharger ceases.... you never EVER want the turbocharger to spin without oil-supply. (turbocharger is a $1,000 part!)
  • nor5nor5 Posts: 1
    My Golf will not rev over 5000 rpm, I have replaced coil plugs distributor.
    Does anyone have an idea.
    edited March 2012
    Your description sounds as if the engine computer has fallen into "limp mode" to protect the engine.

Is the CEL illuminated? (Check Engine Light)

If yes - you need to have your engine-computer 'scanned' so you know what codes are within it. These codes will help tell you what the problem is.

Also, a VW engine will NEVER rev very high whilst the brake is depressed. (or the brake-pedal switch is malfunctioning and it THINKS the brake is depressed.) I mention this because VW has had several recalls regarding the brake-pedal switch.
124»