Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    edited April 2013
    in the U.S. market. I am still loving my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it's strong engine. I don't think any carmaker makes a better engine than Mitsubishi. Mine still purrs like a kitten at 102,644 miles.

The new Global Small Car is a sound design and should sell like hotcakes with ghastly prices way over $3.00 a gallon for RUG. We still need ta get off of ghastly and on to hydrogen or all-electric drivetrains.

Mitsubishi Motors runs separately from its Mitsubishi parent Company, and that is one huge parent Company. It is not the same situation as Suzuki Motors. I think Suzuki Motors looked at American people as more trouble than they're worth and really not very right at picking out new automobiles. Think I'm wrong? Ask your favorite Suzuki executive.

Look at all the dumb Honda, GM, Hummer, etc. products on American roads and you'll have my answer. The 2010 Suzuki Kizashi I test drove rocked mightily. I have talked to countless people who have bought Suzuki's and they love them.

I loved that Kizashi but I love my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS more. It's a great car that's so easy to take care of and looks fantastic. I wouldn't want any other car.

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    edited April 2013
    I think Suzuki Motors looked at American people as more trouble than they're worth

Looks like Canadians are troublesome too. :D Suzuki is done after model year 2014 up there.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,234
    Like I said, my concern about the new Mirage is the powerplant. If it only brings the weaksauce then people probably won't buy it regardless of fuel economy. I'm hoping they've maximized the low-end torque so the off-the-line performance at least feels peppy (doesn't have to actually be fast as long as there's a little throttle-thrill).

I don't know that comparing Suzuki to Mitsu is valid. Suzuki never had a strong year while Mitsu had several (lots of success with the 99-03 Galants, for instance). Suzuki never had US manufacturing. Suzuki never had remotely near a complete lineup. Suzuki never had a niche they did well in like the Evo & Eclipse. Suzuki never really had a reputation for anything. Suzuki DID have the Samurai rollover PR nightmare.

Not that Mitsu has been perfect, of course, but the US histories of the two companies really have little in common.

Personally I'm content with my '10 Outlander GT. Unlike Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Hyundai, etc. Mitsu has had exceedingly few recalls that I've heard about and my car hasn't had any. So while it may not be the greatest car, the engineering and build quality are quite good. There was the issue with weak AC compressors (bad batch from their supplier) but that was handled under warranty.
    edited May 2013
    "Volvo and Mitsubishi are among the 10 brands sold in America that 24/7 Wall St. predicts will disappear before 2014.

"Brands with market shares under half a percent cannot compete with companies that either produce high-luxury models like Mercedes-Benz or multiline giants like General Motors," the report said.

Volvo Cars of North America had no official reaction to the report, a spokesman told Edmunds; Mitsubishi Motors North America did not respond immediately to a request for comment on the report."

Report Predicts Demise of Volvo and Mitsubishi in the U.S.

Road and Track is also toast, predicts 24/7 Wall St.com.

Note that their prediction success rate is pretty lame. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,596
    I was going to say, 24/7 Wall St is a click-trolling joke. Volvo anyway isn't going anywhere.

Mitsu on other hand might be shakier.
    Oh, they weren't so bad - only had four pages to click through for the top ten, instead of the usual eleven pages, plus two ad pages. :shades:

If Mitsu closes the Normal plant I'll be nervous. But until that occurs I see no reason to doubt them staying in the US market.

The '14 Outlander is getting positive press and the PHEV version will hopefully build on that. The Outlander is also just about the only game in town if you want a V6 instead of an I4 (and it gets as good or better fuel economy than the turbo I4s of the competition) in a compact.

The Outlander Sport just got positive PR for being one of only 2 CUVs to do well on the new IIHS test.

The two big needs I see are an updated Lancer that raises economy to the now "magic" 40MPG and, ideally, something to compete in the midsize sedan segment. The Lancer issue I expect will be solved shortly; I don't know if Mitsu has plans for a new midsizer.
    http://skywire.discovery.com/#sweeps

Mitsu is the exclusive automobile sponsor for the Skywire walk across the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks. As part of the promotion they're giving away a newly designed 2014 Outlander.

Enter daily to increase your chances of winning.

I'll cross-post this to the Outlander thread.
    I think most of us know that Mitsu's reach into the US goes beyond autos. Here's a list of their US companies/branches: http://www.mitsubishi.com/e/area/n_america.html

Of course Mitsu owning a bank, a glass manufacturer (auto/solar/commercial), and various other concerns doesn't necessarily help the position of MMNA but it can't hurt.
    Mitsu is the exclusive automobile sponsor for the Skywire walk across the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks. As part of the promotion they're giving away a newly designed 2014 Outlander.

Enter daily to increase your chances of winning.

Oh this is a no-brainer ta enter and try for, for sure. Love ta have one of these!

If you're in the midwest & want to make a road trip, the Factory Mitsubishi Owners Day is Sept. 21 from 9-1: https://www.facebook.com/events/167614063416281/ or https://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/owners-site/owners-day.do

Unfortunately I have a conflict & can't make it this year.

East-coast MOD will follow on Oct. 5.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    Stopped at the dealer for an oil change. Checked out the '14 Outlander, not bad. Exterior is kind of boring, but the inside is much improved, even on the base model. Odd that all they have in the showroom is small SUV 's (outlander & outlander sport) and a Lancer. No I - Miev or Lancer. Don't know why they would'nt have a few, especially the Lancer, just for variety or someone coming in to look for one.

To end the year, Mitsu's sales were up 7.7%, slightly beating the overall US industry growth rate of 7.6%. Total units was 62,227 or about 6 weeks worth of Camrys. ;) Car sales continue to decline while light trucks - the CUVs - are up 41.5%.

What does this mean? Beats me. A sales increase is good but Mitsu remains at about 0.4% market share. Relatively inexpensive gas the past few months has probably kept Mirage sales from taking off. The i-MiEV can probably be written off at this point, but the tech should live on. Mitsu was looking to deploy a plug-in hybrid Outlander that used the i-MiEV's battery but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Mitsu is slated to be at the Chicago Auto Show next month; hopefully I'll get a chance to attend.

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894

I checked out Mitsubishi display at the Chicago show last year, don't know if I'll make it down this year, I'm just south of Milwaukee and that show's much closer, but not as good. '07 Outlanders been running great in this subzero weather, was gonna replace the original battery, but it's hanging in there.

edited January 8

Mitsubishi recently announced that they are pushing the introduction of the new Outlander Hybrid to 2015. I believe it was because of a battery supplier/supply problem. The new SUV is definitely on, for sure. Mirage sales are coming along - gas prices for RUG seem ta be rising here in southern NM in the last few days. The closest Mitsubishi dealer to me is 70 miles west in Las Cruces. I would deal with them for my next Mitsubishi - they have been fair ta me when I've taken the '08 Lancer GTS in for service.

I'm really looking forward to what Mitsubishi is going to be producing the next year or two. The Lancer GTS is at 116,899 miles right now and running great. I like the new Mirage - I would buy it in 5-speed standard transmission form even though ghastly mileage actually is improved when you select the CVT tranny over the manual.

Pretty sure I could draw about 40 mpg consistently with it's little 1.2L 3 cyl. 74 hp/74 ft. pounds of torque motor.

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345

@Stever@Edmunds said: I think Suzuki Motors looked at American people as more trouble than they're worth

Looks like Canadians are troublesome too. :D Suzuki is done after model year 2014 up there.

Ya..but apparently they're gonna hang in there with bikes..probably in the US too?

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345

@iluvmysephia1 said: I don't think any carmaker makes a better engine than Mitsubishi. Mine still purrs like a kitten at 102,644 miles.

Well, they were not without their issues 25 years ago (and less). Of course 25 years was a fair while ago, but nonetheless during the same time period, similar engines by competitors didn't suffer as many ailments. Their 2.6 4 cyl that Chrysler used as the optioned up engine in the first few years of Caravans, was a disaster. It was also used in Sapporos and a few other Japanese based brands sold under Chrysler's name. And there were head gasket problems and a few other issues with their 3 litre V6 also used in the minivans..but overall..in the end they were not too bad an engine.

The 1.5 used in the first Ponys on these shores back in 84 or 86? had some oil burning issues, but I'm not so sure this wasn't owner negligence..cuz I have known of more than one that when not neglected..delivered. I think that same block was used in Dodge Colts (Japanese) and they actually stood up not too badly when turbo'd even in a few models.

I really like Mitsubishi grills, no matter what vehicle they manufacture. They just have a really really handsome look. Almost as brand-recognized as Volvo with their slash or BMW's twin kidney..

I am not a fan of CVTs and I think that hurt the Kizashi a lot. Ditto anything Mitsu puts them in. (Or anyone else for that matter..sounds like the only one maybe worth owning is in Honda's new Accord with the 4 cyl.

I like the Mirage too..but want an auto on next vehicle and the CVT just doesn't cut it for me. I picture that little triple screaming its little heart out a lot of time.

I suspect that CVTs are popular not only for EPA ratings, but I bet they cost less to produce than a proper 6 sp. It always ends up being about the money..

My '89 Voyager had the fuel-injected 2.5L I4, which produced a respectable 100 hp. (The "respectable" language came from Wikipedia. B) ).

Three head gaskets in 90,000 miles, all covered under warranty. Otherwise we really liked the body style.

I think CVTs are going to prove reliable too - fewer moving parts. That would mean warranty savings for the manufacturers.

Mitsubishi has been carrying a lot of baggage for a lot of years. "The company has been seeking to restore confidence in its cars for more than a decade after saying it covered up safety defects and customer complaints, alienating consumers to the point that it required to be bailed out by other Mitsubishi companies almost a decade ago." It's been making profits though and sales, small as they are, are up.

Mitsubishi Motors to Raise Up to $2.3 Billion in Stock Sale (Bloomberg)

@toomanyfumes said: I checked out Mitsubishi display at the Chicago show last year, don't know if I'll make it down this year, I'm just south of Milwaukee and that show's much closer, but not as good. '07 Outlanders been running great in this subzero weather, was gonna replace the original battery, but it's hanging in there.

Well, my '10 GT's battery died last Friday. Not that I can blame it. It was over 4 years old and anything beyond that from the OEM unit is gravy. My current circumstances aren't battery-friendly: it's been a bit chilly here, I mostly do rather short drives (less than 2 miles), and with the cold I'm running more accessories (seat heather, defrost, etc.) so it's no wonder the draw got to be too much.

The dealer did check the electrical to make sure it was just the battery and everything else is a-ok.

@iluvmysephia1 said: Mitsubishi recently announced that they are pushing the introduction of the new Outlander Hybrid to 2015. I believe it was because of a battery supplier/supply problem. The new SUV is definitely on, for sure. Mirage sales are coming along - gas prices for RUG seem ta be rising here in southern NM in the last few days. The closest Mitsubishi dealer to me is 70 miles west in Las Cruces. I would deal with them for my next Mitsubishi - they have been fair ta me when I've taken the '08 Lancer GTS in for service.

I'm really looking forward to what Mitsubishi is going to be producing the next year or two. The Lancer GTS is at 116,899 miles right now and running great. I like the new Mirage - I would buy it in 5-speed standard transmission form even though ghastly mileage actually is improved when you select the CVT tranny over the manual.

Pretty sure I could draw about 40 mpg consistently with it's little 1.2L 3 cyl. 74 hp/74 ft. pounds of torque motor.

Thanks for the hybrid update. I hadn't seen the news about it being pushed back. Probably for the best as it'll let me finish paying off my GT (by December) before getting lured into a replacement. I'd love a PHEV as my daily drive would consume zero gas.

Sounds like you really pile on the miles on your Lancer; that's almost 20K a year. I do hope the next gen Lancer gets a serious economy bump; it's being left behind by the competition. My sister has an MT Elantra and she can get 43-45 "highway" (rural highway 55MPH) out of it, which she needs as her commute is 62 miles each way.

@Stever@Edmunds said: My '89 Voyager had the fuel-injected 2.5L I4, which produced a respectable 100 hp. (The "respectable" language came from Wikipedia. B) ).

Three head gaskets in 90,000 miles, all covered under warranty. Otherwise we really liked the body style.

I think CVTs are going to prove reliable too - fewer moving parts. That would mean warranty savings for the manufacturers.

Mitsubishi has been carrying a lot of baggage for a lot of years. "The company has been seeking to restore confidence in its cars for more than a decade after saying it covered up safety defects and customer complaints, alienating consumers to the point that it required to be bailed out by other Mitsubishi companies almost a decade ago." It's been making profits though and sales, small as they are, are up.

Mitsubishi Motors to Raise Up to $2.3 Billion in Stock Sale (Bloomberg)

Sounds like my Mazda experience in the '90s. My MX-3 needed a new transmission @ 38K and again @ 76. I dumped it before it would need a 3rd.

I remain open-minded on CVTs. A friend - not a car guy - with an Altima couldn't care less; it just works. To me, as long as it's properly implemented a CVT will be fine.

Thanks for the link on Mitsu's stock sale. Nice to see they've been profitable. I wish that would kill the annual doom-and-gloom around them leaving the US market.

edited January 12

My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with automatic CVT transmission has shown me that the CVT with its paddle shifters is reliable and it works well first time, every time. They are fun ta use and can be used to slow the car down going down a hill, much like regular manual trannies. It works so good and so precisely that, if you wanted to, you could chirp the beautiful car's tires with the system. I was pleasantly surprised by how tight, precise and useful the automatic transmission with CVT made by Mitsubishi Motors is.

edited January 15

BTW - I don't know if you all know that when your Mitsubishi has an automatic transmission CVT, you can just put it in 'P', 'N', 'D', etc., just like with any other automatic transmission.

Then, if you want to play and "shift gears-6 forward gears and 6 minus gears", you take the gated gearknob shifter and move it in to automatic CVT mode. As opposed to plain old automatic transmission mode. When it's in the CVT mode all you have to do is pull the paddle shifter towards you in the "positive" mode - say from '1' to '2' to '3', etc. There is no clutch but your car can gain speed through it's engine being given more juice from the CVT system. To slow down simply pull the "negative" paddle shifter towards you - this bring it down a "gear"...again, without a clutch pedal to push in. The negative gear paddle shifter is on the left side of your steering wheel and the positive great paddle shifter is on the right side of your car's steering wheel.

It all works very smoothly and very easily. I like ta toggle the "gears" down towards '1' from whatever I had the CVT system up to, in order to slow the Lancer GTS' engine down when going down a hill. The system works fast, it's fun and it's very, very accurate. I love it - I wanted a 5-speed standard stick '08 Lancer GTS but bought one with an automatic CVT tranny instead, so my wife could use the car and my son could use the car. It has worked out well, though I still long for a 5 or 6-speed standard transmissioned rig next time honestly I would buy one with an automatic CVT again and yes, more than likely that car will be a Mitsubishi!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-02-17/classified/ct-auto-mitsubishi-0213-20140213_1_mitsubishi-mirage-mitsubishi-motor-outlander-sport

Interesting article. Hints at a new Galant to be a platform-sharer with/from Nissan.

And the Outlander PHEV looks to be delayed in the US/NA market due to ongoing battery shortage issues (it is on sale in other markets).

The article doesn't get into it, but Mitsu can't overlook upgrading and expanding the dealer network.

I suppose, but I'd imagine they need to fill out the product line more before they can gather enough interest from dealers to add them. The addition of a new Galant (or other-named midsizer) would probably be key.

Yeah, a bit of a chicken and egg problem. Dealers need product and Mitsu needs dealers.

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 122
    edited February 27

@fushigi said: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-02-17/classified/ct-auto-mitsubishi-0213-20140213_1_mitsubishi-mirage-mitsubishi-motor-outlander-sport

Interesting article. Hints at a new Galant to be a platform-sharer with/from Nissan.

And the Outlander PHEV looks to be delayed in the US/NA market due to ongoing battery shortage issues (it is on sale in other markets).

Regarding the update for the Outlander mentioned in the article the following links might be of interest. Apparently Mitsubishi has listened and has added more noise insulation as well as revised the suspension by incorporating rebound springs to the dampers for improved handling. In addition the taillights will be clear combination lights with LED. http://en.responsejp.com/article/2014/01/31/216217.html

Pictures of the exterior: http://en.responsejp.com/article/img/2014/01/31/216217/536468.html

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 122

Information regarding next gen US-only Galant

Per the two news articles below, Renault is using the Nissan/Mitsubishi partnership to develop the next generation Mitsubishi Galant, Renault Latitude and Samsung SM5. Among other interesting information provided about Renault & Renault Samsung, the articles mention production start in 2015 for the Galant and 2016 for the Latitude and SM5.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/article/3267/losing-growth-momentum-renault-samsung-motors-hasn’t-produced-new-model-7-years

http://www.planeterenault.com/1-gamme/1597-actualite-automobile/4044-remplacante-pour-latitude-2016-/ (in French)

I was not aware that Samsung made cars. :o

And I've said numerous times that Mitsu needs a midsizer to keep people interested in the brand long-term. I'm glad they're addressing the segment. While I'm no Renault fan, if the underpinnings are more Nissan than anything else I'm sure it'll be a good car. Hopefully they will be able to do something to make it a good competitor in the segment. The final gen Galant was an OK car but not competitive with what the other major manufacturers were delivering.

Maybe they can start with delivering a PHEV edition to go along with the (hopefully will finally be released in 2015) PHEV Outlander.