Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

1444546474850»

Comments

• psychogunpsychogun Posts: 125

The current Samsung SM5/Renault Latitude are based on the previous generation Nissan Altima/Teana platform.The next gen SM5/Latitude will more than likely be based on the current generation Altima platform and the Galant will simply be a re-badge of the SM5/Latitude.

edited April 15

It would appear that this article posted a while back by edmunds.com didn't get a lot of attention (sarcasm gee... wonder why...? end sarcasm) http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/mitsubishis-future-plans-include-hybrids-major-model-overhaul.html

Below is a listing of future Mitsubishi launches for simplified viewing:

2014 (2015 model year)

Mirage hatch - minor exterior and interior changes

Mirage sedan - unconfirmed, all new to U.S. line-up

Outlander Sport - 2.4l engine added to line-up, new CVT

Lancer - outside mirror turn signal indicators

Outlander - exterior freshening with new grille/front air dam and new combination taillights with LED

2015 (2016 model year)

Mirage hatch - exterior freshening

Outlander Sport - All New

Lancer - New CVT and new telematics system

Outlander - PHEV model added, mid-cycle re-fresh (incorporating Mitsubishi's new design language)

Galant - All New (based on next gen Renault Samsung SM5/Latitude)

2016 (2017 model year)

Mirage sedan - turbo engine model added or initial U.S. launch, to be confirmed

Outlander - new telematics system

Montero - All New

In other markets Mitsubishi will be launching the following. Depending on market conditions, R&D costs, and consumer interest these may eventually make it to the U.S. The following is purely speculative:

Triton/L200 compact pick-up truck - All New, to be launched fall of 2014. May come to U.S. if U.S./Thai free trade agreement will allow circumvention of Chicken Tax

Montero Sport/Challenger/Nativa - All New, to be launched in 2015. May come to U.S. if there is consumer interest.

Delica crossover minivan - All New, to be launched in 2015 or 2016. Currently unknown if even intended for markets other than Japan. Current generation was under study for U.S. launch but rising Yen killed the plan.

Also for 2016 (as a 2017 model)

Lancer - Unconfirmed, may simply be a rebadge of next gen Renault Samsung SM3, or may be a co-developed C-segment model with Renault-Nissan based on the Franco-Japanese firms modular platform

http://www.caradvice.com.au/280886/mitsubishi-lancers-future-remains-unclear/

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713

Nice find, psychogun, I've been looking for new material, even on Mitsubishi's worldwide website, about what they're going to do with the Lancer, and haven't found too much.

All we know from the article link from your post above is that they're talking with Renault about it but are more focused on the midsize sedan first, for now anyway. After getting a new Galant design they'll start focusing on what kind of platform and design they'll build the new world order Mitsubishi Lancer on. And what it would look like.

So I bet we're looking at something like 2016 before we get a new Lancer design. I know Mitsubishi builds a good SUV but I love the Lancer too much to go SUV, I'm thinking.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 905

New Montero sounds very interesting. Wife still wants to keep the '07 Outlander, but my daughter needs a car, used Lancer or Galant are on the list.

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,251

Thanks, psychogun. I look forward to the return of a Galant sedan but am not sure if the Montero, pickup, and minivan make sense in the current US market. I honestly believe that doing a rebadge for the Galant is a good solution given Mitsu's size & the R&D costs for developing something new ground-up. It just needs to be a rebadge of a good car; if it's barely passable it can do more harm than good to their reputation.

I'm still happy with my '10 Outlander GT but will give strong consideration to the PHEV Outlander when it debuts. I probably don't drive enough miles to justify it from a cost perspective (only 35K miles after 4.5 years) but few hybrids recoup their increased upfront costs anyway.

I do wonder if Mitsu will drop the V6 from their lineup as so many others have done. They have a well-respected history with turbos so a turbo 4 would be a fine replacement. The 3L V6 is a good engine but it still recommends premium fuel and torque at low RPMs could be improved. Now, with that said, if you look at the carmakers who have replaced their V6s with turbo 4s, fuel economy has not really improved (at least in current iterations).

Navigation updates are free for owners of 2014 & newer Mitsus. Those of us with pre-'14 vehicles w/Navi are hit with a $199 charge (not too different from other automakers from what I've heard).

The latest update is from 2013. As my system hadn't seen any updates since I bought it in Dec '09 I decided to get the upgrade. I figure I can stomach the cost once every few years.

I should have it in a few days and get in installed perhaps next week. I'll report back if the software was upgraded along with the maps & POI database.

I've got over 100 CDs ripped to the hard drive but I presume space for Navi updates is reserved.

Nav update is in place. Went from software version H / map version 2008-A / CDDB (Gracenote) 1626-2963 to software v. N / map 2013-A / CDDB 1626-4525. It was nice of them to include the CDDB update (though they are available free from Mitsu's owner's site).

Map detail is better. Haven't really noticed any different yet in nav software functionality or performance.

Address book, nav preferences, etc. were preserved.

The upgrade is painless and like the CD rip capability it will pause/resume if you shut the car off while it's updating. Which is good as the nav update took about 90 minutes. CDDB took another 20+.

Included directions are sufficient.

In other news I picked up a 2-bike trailer hitch rack for $36 at Harbor Freight. $45 - their usual 20% coupon. Perhaps not as nice as the $150-200 racks but perfectly usable and still offers a tilt-down to allow the hatch to open.

2014 MODs (Mitsubishi Owners Day) have been announced.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/events

July 12 - West Coast (California) Sept. 20 - Factory (Illinois) Oct. 11 - East Coast (New Jersey)

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,926

"The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution will be discontinued in the U.S. after the 2015 model year, the automaker told Edmunds.

"I can confirm that 2015 will be the last year for Evo," wrote Alex Fedorak, a Mitsubishi Motors North America spokesman, in response to an Edmunds query."

2015 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Marks End of an Era

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Factory MOD (Mitsubishi Owner's Day) is tomorrow in Bloomington-Normal Illinois. Featured will be the electric car they use for the Pikes Peak challenge and the PHEV Outlander.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/events.
    edited September 22
    Mitsubishi press release regarding the Outlander PHEV Concept-S:
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/motorshow/2014/news/detail0943.html

Presumably this is what the entire Outlander range will look like for the 2016 model year.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 905
    I like the front better than the current Outlander.
    No visible tailpipe is fine but I also don't see a charge port.

I think I could grow to like the interior easily. Has an upscale look to it; I hope the materials match that.

Exterior styling looks good. The slight downward slope of the roofline makes me wonder on overall cargo capacity.