Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• Outlander.

2014 Mitsubishi Outlander

The silver is treating it right IMHO. :)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Just waiting for the PHEV version.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited December 2012
    are you thinking you're wanting a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander - PHEV version? The one above looks awesome. And now after getting my very own Mitsubishi I know they are just as awesome as I thought they would be ta own. I had a fellow employee at an Arizona workplace inform me that "engine will run forever!" That is, of course, my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and it's 2.0L I4 152 horse, 148 ft-lb's of torque motored Mitsubishi.

So far the ride has been excellent. I would (and do) recommend Mitsu's to anyone who will listen ta me. I can really find very few, if any, faults the car has, nothing that would stop a purchase. And those tiny faults (which are so small you'd need a very powerful New Mexico grade telescope ta see them) are not so negative that they overshadow all of the positives the compact sedan has to offer.

It'll be fun to watch the development of the new Outlander for 2014. It looks great ta me!

I am thinking about it. Maybe not a '14 though since my '10 Outlander only has 27K miles on it. It'll also depend on the pricing and the specs. What kind of fuel economy improvements they can offer. And, it'd be nice if they built it at the Normal plant (though that's unlikely at the moment).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    I'll see how Mitsu's doing in a couple of years when my wife's ready to replace our '07. I just bought a '12 Mustang, so I plan on keeping the '07 for winter and trailer hauling duties.
  • how's that 2012 Ford Mustang treatin' ya? :shades:

I really like it. Surprisingly good daily driver, I got the premium trim with heated leather, pony pack and 305 horse six with the six speed manual. Drove home from work today in a snowstorm, did pretty good with a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in the trunk. Only thing that dissapoints is the gearing, I think they're 2.73's, you gotta downshift and wind it out to really get it moving.
  • but let me get this straight. By them gearing that 2.73 and you having to wind it out to really get it moving, that hurts your fuel economy, right?

For daily driving, I rarely wind it through the gears. Maybe once or twice a week. Redline is 6800, I can't bring myself to wind it that high, though it really stars to go at over 5000. I'm averaging 22-24 mpg in suburban driving, too, better than the Outlander or the Lincoln LS the Mustang replaced. To get back on topic, started the '07 outlander yesterday, was running rough and service engine light was on. Engine eventually ran smooth, but the light stayed on. Today the light was off and the car ran fine, thinking maybe some dirt in the injectors that worked it's way through?
    Some videos in Japanese: http://www.youtube.com/watch_videos?video_ids=oBbvAi2oi6M%2CzB8OHbr-3rc%2CCl3kHv- mOj8w%2CAdyOqmEZBME&no_autoplay=1 (the last one features a decided Anglo couple & it's dubbed in Japanese).

From the second spot, there are 2 "fuel consumption" numbers: 18.6 km/l and 67 km/l. While my Japanese is too rusty to translate, just doing unit conversions reveals 43.7 and 157.6 mpg. I'm going to assume that means the eMPG rating will be 157 and it can sustain about 44 MPG in charge-sustaining mode. Not bad for a crossover with AWD. Electric range should be respectable as it shares battery packs with the i-MiEV.

To make a PHEV make even more sense, I just switched electricity suppliers. New rate will be 4.71 cents/kwh so a plug-in would be very cheap to operate.
  • whoa...gotta say that I'll be following the PHEV Outlander's introduction to the "real" automotive market pretty closely in the upcoming months. Great ghastly mileage and "electric" numbers as well. Mitsubishi is a great, great automotive company. Love 'em more all of the time!

Of course things may change for the US introduction, the competition could roll out compelling alternatives, and the pricing could turn out to be too high for average consumers to consider. So it's definitely a wait-and-see thing. But it is encouraging and I find it interesting that the only real hybrid CUV in the Outlander's class is the Escape. Really, really surprised that Toyota hasn't released a hybrid RAV4 considering that they have the most production hybrid experience of any modern automaker. Their EV RAV4 doesn't count IMO since it isn't truly their product.

I don't know if you caught it but Mitsu trimmed 200 pounds off the regular '14 Outlander; that I'm sure helped efficiency for ICE-based as well as PHEV Outies.
  • fushigi. I am officially even more interested than before now in the 2014 Mitsubishi PHEV Outlander. I first saw glimpses of it about a year ago on the net and have been interested in it ever since. Priced around $25,000, right?

I'm sure $25K will be for the 4 cyl ICE version. 6 cyl & PHEV versions will certainly cost more. My V6 '10 Outlander GT stickered over 33K and there were a couple of dealer-adds on top of that (aftermarket remote start, scuff plates, etc.).

I fully expect a "nicely equipped" the PHEV to run at least $40K before any gov't incentives. Think Chevy Volt pricing. But considering I wouldn't use any gas at all on a normal commute it might still be worth it.

I've driven to my client's site a couple of times since xmas and in the eco-friendly parking garage I use (http://www.greenwayselfpark.com/) there's been a Fisker Karma charging both times. Very attractive sedan. And I like that the garage has charging stations (and wind power generators); if I bought a PHEV Outlander it'd be a good place to recharge.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited February 2013

This was from January 2009 Car and Driver. I must say the Mitsubishi Lancer GT does look the best. And owning a '08 Lancer GTS does make me biased, I realize. But my Lancer GTS is such a great car, at idle it barely makes a noise. And I have 100,589 miles on the car!

We are able to enjoy the great cars from Mitsubishi partly because the rest of the Mitsubishi conglomerate is successful enough to throw cash towards Mitsubishi Global Automotive often enough that it counts.

And for that this hombre is so very, very thankful. Thank you for making such a great compact automobile, Mitsubishi! ;)

I don't know that Mitsu follows the Edmunds forums. They are on Twitter & Facebook, though, so you can post on their feed/wall if you want to give them the pubic kudos.

I'm debating hitting the Chicago Auto Show this week. Don't really have the time but would like to wander the floor.
    I might do the Chicago show myself. I'm about 90 miles north but I'll be staying near Wrigley field next weekend. I thought about the motorcycle show today but didn't feel like making the drive. To stay on topic, I'll be taking the Outlander down there. No way I'll take the new Mustang there, especially as I'll have to valet park at the hotel.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    "The 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage debuted on Thursday at the 2013 New York Auto Show, as the automaker mulls a plan to expand the brand's product line in the U.S.

Mitsubishi is considering adding a midsized sedan and a large seven-passenger crossover, segments the automaker abandoned, Edmunds has learned. As part of that plan, Mitsubishi is making an effort to create more exciting looking vehicles."

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Heralds Product Push

"Edmunds says: Big changes may be in store for Mitsubishi in the U.S."

Comments like that make me wonder if they'll do a Suzuki. :blush:
    I'll admit to being concerned about US acceptance of a 74HP 1.2L powerplant, though 37/44/40 city/highway/combined may be enough to sway buyers, especially with the low price. If it gets excellent crash scores then it may woo some Scion buyers.

And I've always contended that Mitsu - really all mainstream carmakers - needs a midsize sedan in the lineup. I just hope they come up with a new platform to put it on instead of trying to get more mileage out of the Lancer platform which underpins the Outlander duo and is already several years old.

Does the 14 Outlander still run on the Lancer platform? I'm curious since I'm sure a lot of work went in to making it PHEV-ready (along with the other refinements).

I do not think they need the larger 7 passenger SUV. If they already have a foreign-market unit that they can just update for the US, then fine, but personally I think it'd be a waste of engineering effort and cost to do such a vehicle, especially when the marketplace doesn't really show jumbo utes selling in mass quantities. At least that's my observation based on the cars I see on the road.

(I'm still considering the PHEV Outlander for my next car, though my '10 Outlander doesn't even have 30K on the odo yet so I'm likely years away from my next purchase.)
    I gotta agree, a competitive mid-size sedan is a must to compete in the marketplace. They need a exciting complete lineup pretty fast, or they're gonna fall off the radar screen for most buyers. Wife's still pretty happy with our '07 Outlander, especially the V6 engine, which you can't really get in a compact CUV anymore.