Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• feedup1feedup1 Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 f-150 4X4 with the 5.4, 38000 now. After several trips to my selling dealer for water intrusion into the cab and having the GEM module replaced and the fuse panel and the starter (shorted due to the GEM module)The dealer said it was due to a windsheild leak , I had the windsheild resealed even thow it didn't need it after water testing the seals. and yet another trip to the dealer this time they said it was the seal at the top of the fire wall where the wiper motor panel meets the fire wall. does anyone have a clue on how to seal this seam , their is only very limited access to this seam , and for any of you that have "gremlins" in your f-150 , this may be your problem also as the GEM module is very sencitive to water
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    The SCrew is only rated for 2K lbs? It's gotta be more than that! Is the 2K rating for a bumper hitch? How about for a real frame mounted hitch? My Honda Odyssey can pull 3500 lbs. with proper hitch, and that's only a moderate sized 6 cyl.
         Do you know what the gear ratio is in the rear axle? If you've still got the new car sticker, it should show it on there somewhere. It should read something like 3.23:1; that's the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes for each turn of the rear wheels. Small number = less torque & less towing capability. Higher number (4.30:1) = loads of torque to rear wheels, increased towing capacity. F150s typically have smaller numbers.
        If you're going to tow with it, definitely upgrade the engine cooling. Will it take a bigger radiator? You can add fans, etc.. Also get an auxilliary cooler for the automatic transmission - tranny takes biggest beating when towing, overheating. it can be extremely expensive. Better shocks would help too. Look into at getting (at least) a Class III hitch and a wiring harness. Depending on how heavy trailer is you may want to also get an auxilliary trailer brake controller.
     You should be able to do a single horse trailer reasonably well. (1200 lb trailer 1000-1500 lb horse plus tack & gear.); think you'd be overly ambitious to try to pull a double. Either way I probably wouldn't want to be stuck behind you when you're pulling that trailer up a steep hill. It'll get there, but it won't be quick.
       As far as bumpiness. Is this your first truck? It's not gonna ride like your car. Is this a 4x4? Four wheel suspension may be a bit less compliant and feel bumpier. Only other thing I can think of is possibly they put extra air in the tires when they shipped truck to dealer. Make sure tires are at the proper pressures as recommended by the sticker on the pillar inside the driver's door. Don't underinflate though - that can cause blow outs from excessive heat build up.
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    My father has an F-150 with the 4.6 and he pulls a small boat with it, probably in the 2,500 to 3,000 lb range. His truck is probably a little lighter than yours, his being a supercab 2wd shortbed. I can tell you from personal towing experience with his truck, the boat all but disappears behind his truck. Few dealers under estimate towing capacity, but I think yours did, unless of course he was referring to either the bumper capacity - which I believe is 5k - or he's trying to selling you another truck.

The 5.4 won't be much worse on mileage. I don't have one, but everyone that I know reports about the same mileage as I get when driving my dad's truck, 15 around town and 17 on the road.

Walt's post above covered most everything about the ride quality not being carlike. However, let me throw one more suggestion as to the bumpy ride. The wheelbase length and the spacing of any frostheaves in the roads you travel could be setting up an oscillation in the suspension when you drive 20-45 mph. You can try different tires and shocks and some improvements may be noticed, however you could make the ride worse.

You mentioned the "horrible" General tires. A lot of people don't like them, but I have been using them for about 20 years with only one blowout to date.
  • Hello:
    I have a '03 250 Crew Cab 4X4 XLT Long Bed. My engine is the 7.2 Diesel and the rear end on it is a 377 with positraction. I now have 16000 miles on it and I am disapointed by 14 mpg. I was expecting closer to 19 and am concerned about the cause of this low mileage. I am worrying about nothing or do you have suggestions? Thanks in advance for your input.
    Erik
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    I've heard a range of mileages for the 7.3L PowerStroke - your's is closer to the bottom end, but still reasonable. Keep in mind you've got just about the heaviest F250 there is. The 4x4, crew cab, long bed with the diesel probably make you almost 600-700 pounds heavier than a reg cab, 2wd, short bed, diesel. Also are you carrying anything in the bed - tool box, etc? The 4x4 drivetrain, even when it isn't engaged incurs some friction losses as well. It all adds up to reduce mpg. I've got F350, 4x4, CC, Longbed, auto with 3.73 LS with a V10 - I'm lucky if I coast down a hill in neutral with a strong tail wind to get 14 mpg.
      Other thoughts on the 7.3 - cleaned/replaced your air filter yet? Could be getting dirty at 16K miles and robbing you of a bit of mpgs. Does your engine have the "cackle?" There's some small design flaw with injector #7(?) that makes funny noise and robs some mileage.
    I'm not sure if the 03's were cackle pigs or not. 16,000 miles on a diesel really isn't broken in yet, it may take up to 30,000 miles. Walt's right about the weight of your truck, it's the heaviest one out there. The only thing heavier would be if it were a 350 dually. I've been told every 500 lbs extra will cost you 1/2 mpg. You are in the range of typical mileages. Keep the air and fuel filters clean.
  • Walt and Mullins:
    Thank you for your information. I will remain calm for 20,000 more miles. I appreciate your help
    Erik
  • bmaigebmaige Posts: 140
    Anybody hear anything good about a fix for the 6.0 liter diesel? From what I've seen it appears to be glitches in the electronic control rather than the engine itself. Anyone heard any different?
  • I get lots of static and weak reception on the AM radio side of my 1993 f-150, 4.9 six equiped trckk. new wires and plugs. any ideas?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Could be the alternator, but realistically, when everything is ten years old it could be anything. I think I'd make sure the case of the radio still has a good ground, and then I'd replace the antenna and make sure the new one gets a good ground. If that doesn't fix it it's probably time to treat yourself to a new radio.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    The key here is "new wires and plugs".
    If the wires and plugs were of the performance variety, they likely do not include the shielding to prevent rfi (radio frequency interference) radiation.

The short answer is, radios don't like the electromagnetic pulses from unshielded wires.

If you still have the old wires, put 'em back in and you may see the static go away. Then you will know to get better shielding.
  • jspears2jspears2 Posts: 19
    I just recently bought an 01 f150 crew 2wd with 29k miles and i am having hesitation problems when i try to pull out into traffic, i floor it and the truck just hesitates. Any ideas or suggestions, i am also running the a/c during this (100 degree alabama heat)
    Have you replaced the fuel filter? What about the air filter? Have you tried any of the injector cleaners?
  • johnmeijohnmei Posts: 44
    I sat inside the new 2004 Ford F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 pickup truck on display at Wiscasset Ford, Wiscasset, Maine. I did not test drive the vehicle but gave it a cursory examination.

The vehicle had the smaller V8 engine which was rated 14 - 18 miles per gallon. Thus, I assume the new 5.4 V8 engine will get a little less mileage. Interestingly, the 2004 brochure is really very well done but there is NO mention of the fuel economy of either V8 engine!

The interior had a bench seat with little or no legroom for the middle occupant as there is a 4 wheel drive selector shift plus 2 uneccessary cup holders in the floor. That said, the quality and practicality of the 2 tone fabric upholstery was first rate and the nicest I have ever seen in a pickup truck.

By all means, do NOT open and shut the glove compartment or you will be sadly disappointed. It closes to the sound of a cheap piece of tin and kind of scares one into wondering about the vehicle's overall quality. After all, it IS the little things that count.

One other small negative. There is no hand hold when getting into the rear seat.

Everything else seemed fine.

johnmei
  • I'm glad I don't buy trucks based on 3 passengers per row seating, or glove boxes. :) I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, but I do love all the pictures I have seen thus far. Looks much better than previous models.
  • edevlinedevlin Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. Here is the info off the door: front GAWR: 3100 lbs, rear GAWR: 3660 lbs, GVWR: 6350 lbs, and on the bumper itself, it says max of 5000 lbs.

I do think that Ford gave me that 2000 lb figure for off of the bumper alone. I recently took it to a mechanic (who is pretty trustworthy) and he said I can tow without any problem and wouldn't need the tow package (after he checked it out), but I would feel much better with one, so I am checking prices out for that.

I have always had Explorers before and this is my first truck, so maybe that is why I am not used to more of a bumpy ride?I guess I figured that this truck is more expensive, so the ride would be smooth. I had the tires checked out and they checked out fine (says the dealer's tire guy) but an outside person said that there were flat spots and the dealer refuses to do anything since they say things are fine.
  • I have a 98 F150 that I bought new and experienced vibration from 45mph up. The dealer tried realigning the engine, transmission and rear to no avail. They installed new hangers on exhaust system and a anti vibration kit on the rear bumper. At this time the mechanic saw excessive runout on the driveshaft and replaced that. Most of the vibes were gone but it still was not right. Then the Firestone tire problem showed up, mine did not qualify so I bought BF Goodrich tires and the ride was better. After my Ford warranty expired (60k) a clunk was being heard from the tranny. They tore down the transmission and found big problems. Since my Ryan extended warranty refused to pay for the job I told Ford to do something or I would have a TV news crew over to visit them. They supplied the parts and I got a bill for $800 labor. If this is any help to you with a 2003 I doubt they have done much to correct the vibe problem til 04.
  • Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat -- Our topic tonight is "Warranties: Are they worth it?"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 2003 supercab xlt, 4.6 v-8, automatic, limited slip rear, 3k miles

As I exit a corner and accelerate, the transmission downshifts, at the same time I feel a clunk and I hear a grinding noise. Speed is approx 10-20 mph, wheels are straight ahead. This happens when the when the engine is cold and when it is warm.

Any ideas?
  • I'd say it's probably the limited slip trying to engage as you accelerate around that corner. I used to have a GM truck with the locking diff. If I had the truck loaded or pulling a heavy trailer, it would lock in a turn as soon as I started to accelerate. It would stay locked until well past the turn, unlocking with a load bang and a jerk in the rear end.
This discussion has been closed.