Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• I finally buckled under and "bought American." My brand new 2003 F-150 Lariat Supercab has an annoying vibration in steering wheel and seat @ 45-65 mph. The dealer has been very good about attempting to fix, in 5 visits they have tried new wheels, tires, road force balancing, etc. They have yet to try non OEM wheels/tires. They keep replacing chrome style wheels and 17 inch BF Goodrich all season tires.

I have seen other messages about vibration problems, and service folks from dealer acknowledge that there are other similiar complaints, but no official word from FoMoCo.

This week a Ford Co rep is coming to attempt fix...what are my options in Connecticut?
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    I hate to say this, but this type of complaint is not completely uncommon on F150s. My daughter and son-in-laws 2001 SuperCrew has a vibration that they can't seem to resolve, either.

But since they don't all do it I am having a difficult time believing there is something inherent in the design. I also hate to say this, but I don't believe there is quite the quality of technical expertise in the field to support contemporary products. Replacing components is as easy as going to the parts counter person and ordering parts.

I know this may sound trite -- and it really isn't intended -- but have they tried some sound diagnostic procedures? Your dealer sounds as if they are at least earnestly concerned. I know a few people that are dealing with other Ford dealers that aren't getting anywhere near the attention that you are. They're getting the old service managers song, "that's normal."

I say this because I know someone who resolved the problem themselves on a F150 SuperCrew -- at their own expense -- and it turned out to be a combination of wheel runout AND tire runout.

Best of luck,
    Dusty
  • danf150

Have they tried one of these machines that actually balances out the tire and wheel while they are mounted on the car? Go through the website, there's a page where you can punch in your zip code and find a shop that has one. Supposedly they can find problems, no one else can.

http://128.242.141.111/index.cfm
  • I just had the 30K service for 2000 F150 5.4 SC XLT for $500! Dealer said I had to flush this and that ( and I think I got flushed, too). Anyhow, rough idle still there. Dealer said it's normal. It's intermittant and it makes the whole truck shake. Embarrasing at a stop light. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • The effort continues. Again, dealer has been good so far. Two days ago they (they meaning dealership owner, service mgr and 2 Ford reps)took Ford Field Service Engineer for 1oo mile ride after he drove truck and stated "nothing wrong". They noticed problem was at 1800 RPM. As far as balancing tires/wheels on vehicle, yes, they went to another dealer for Road Force Balance. Also, Ford FSE brought magic box diagnostic device, still no good.

They removed driveshaft and vehicle still vibrates at 1800 RPM, etc etc. Dealer stated 2 visits ago I can qualify for new vehicle or buyback. Thank goodness I reported problem while enroute home from taking delivery...Ford wanted to pro-rate mileage and I already have 6000 miles on it. I reported problem 10 mile from dealership.
  • flackoflacko Posts: 13
    bmaige, I have a 93 dually with a non-turbo charged 7.3 diesel. So far no problems (only has 75K), just curious...I'm assuming this has the old style fuel pump system that you described on your van? It has the spin on fuel filter near the engine. Also, should I be watching the camshaft position sensor on this engine, or does the older engine even use that sensor?
  • Sorry, no info on the fuel pump, but...

Welcome from a Jr. Bilge Rat!

"Come On Down" ;-)

RWNJ
  • Can anybody tell me what the latest info is on rotor vibration?
  • Rotors warp. Dealers are kind of reluctant to turn or replace them under warranty, and view it as "normal" wear and tear. Seems like they don't want to admit there's a problem. Maybe it only happens to small percentage of Superdutys out there. My 01's been fine, brakes don't pulse, while buddy's '99 PSD is on like 3rd or 4th set of front rotors. He can have rotors turned, run-out measures near perfect and in 2-3 K miles his brakes are pulsing again.

Not sure if it's just the mass of these trucks is too much for stock brakes. If it's heating up brakes in city driving, then going through a puddle of cold water and distorting them. Or, if the local teenager with air gun at tire shop is overtightening the wheel lugs. Some folks report that they have bought aftermarket rotors ($$) that're slotted to dissipate heat better and warping problems have stopped.
  • Ford definitely has a problem. I put 560k miles on my 99 without a bit of rotor warping. As to aftermarket, I just put a set on. We'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the input.
  • bmaigebmaige Posts: 140
    I'm not sure if 7.3's have a mechanical or electric lift pump or if they have the cam sensor referred to. Mine was one of, if not the first diesels sold in Tallahassee, and I think it was a different engine than the 7.3, something like a 6.9, but don't hold me to that. If yours isn't skipping or stopping on you intermittently I wouldn't worry about it, but I would learn to change the fuel filter and keep an extra one or two under the seat along with the tools to change it. If you do develop a skip or it quits running on you the the first thing I would do is change the fuel filter. If that doesn't work, look further. Does the filter go into a housing upside down, or does it screw on upright?

Anyone heard of a fix on the 6.0 yet? I was in the local Ford dealers, saw one with a 6.0, and asked that paragon of virtue and fountain of knowledge, a salesman, if they had the problems fixed. He assured me they did, it was the injectors, and they got that straightened out in September or so. Anybody heard of that?
  • Anyone out there driving an 04 Crew Cab yet? I bought one a few weeks ago and am happy with it except for some annoying rattles coming from the dash. I'm surprised being that Ford has been advertising how much stiffer the frame is on the 04 which eliminates any rattles. Is Ford any good at fixing these kinds of problems? I live in Chicago and hoping one of the dealers can fix it. Any input would be appreciated.
  • I have an 03 Supercrew dash and door rattle problems, I hope that this is not a picture into the future for as far as reliability. May need a trip to the dealer.
    I found an XL with 38,500 miles, a pretty good price, crew cab, long wheel base, single rear wheels, four wheel drive and need a work truck. It has automatic tranny. Anyone know of any inherent problems with the 2002's I should know of before I look more closely--like from behind the wheel with a payment book in my pocket?

Any input appreciated.
  • I don't know of any real problems with those trucks. If the price is right and everything else looks in place, then the only thing I'd suggest would be a complete fluid change when you bring her home.

The Powerstroke has been around since '94 with the 7.3L itself dating back into either the late '80s or early '90s. There were a few problems with the introduction of the Superduty in '98, but I believe most all were worked out by '02.

What was the truck used for? With it only being a little over a year old and 38k miles, it should be in very good condition.
    According to the salesman it was used on a farm. I asked if I could get the name of the previous owner and he said he would provide that, so I will call them directly to see why they got rid of it with such low mileage and if they had any problems with it. Like you, with no more miles than that I don't see how it could be hurt unless they drove it into a pond.
  • definitely give them a call. Unless it is a large corporate farm where they trade all their vehicles at the end of the factory warranty, I'd give that truck a good look.

I'm like you, barring some strange event such as driving it into a pond or being run over by a large piece of equipment, it should be a great truck. Good luck!
  • I have a 1993 f-150 auto trans. w. 136,000. the transmission has begun to "shutter". other than that it runs fine
    Should I change the fluid and filter, have the transmission totally flushed or wait it out until it dies and than have a rebuilt installed?

thanks
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    My daughter and son-inlaw have had this problem on two Ford built trucks. I would highly recommend you flushing the fluid and changing the filter. Some use ATF+4 (Dodge) fluid to eliminate the shudder.

Also, bad plugs or plug wires can cause a similar sensation.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Flush and filter change, probably under a hundred dollars. Supply and install a rebuilt transmission, probably close to a thousand dollars (or if it's the E4OD closer to two thousand).

Hmmmm............ I know which I'd try first!
This discussion has been closed.