Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• is there anyway i can confirm that it is a head gasket? it is the perfect truck and i dont want to let it go with out making sure of the problem. Is this a major problem that it will have to be fixed soon? does anyone have a idea of what it would cost to fix a head gasket?
    thanks!
    Joe
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    If you're serious about buying this truck you've reached the point where you need to pay a reputable auto shop, or tech, to check it out.
  • I just bought a used F150 Crew Cab 4x4 and the transmission is slipping when kicking into overdrive. It drives perfect when the overdrive is turned off. However if I turn it back on say at 50 mph, the RPM's rev up and then finally engage. I believe it has a 4R70W tranny in it. I have heard that since the overdrive is electronically controlled it could be this but I wanted to find out before I spend $1k + dollars to get it fixed.
  • I just thought I would post my problems with my last truck.
    At 35K miles my tranny started to slip. By the time I hit 50K I was told by the dealer that tranny number 6 had to be installed.
    I had had enough!
    I contacted the owner of Sam Pack's Ford in Dallas and got old Sam on the phone.
    Now you need to understand I had done business with these guys for 12 years.
    I asked Sam to make me deal on a new truck since I was finished with this one.
    He was not willing to make any cost concessions on a new truck. He almost gave me the idea he did not want my truck either.
    I traded it for new 03 Silverado LT. So far so good!
    I will never purchase another Ford as long as I am alive.
  • I think that some Ford dealerships have gotten fat and lazy and not respect the customers. Sorry you had to leave the Ford family but good luck with your new truck,
  • I have a 1999 f150 5.4 with 47000 miles on the engine.The Head gasket blew It was -12 degree and the enging came up limping it pays to buy the extra insurance when you buy a FORD
  • jrc346jrc346 Posts: 337
    I believe that engine should be covered under one of Fords secret warranties. This is a very well known problem that comes from a defect in the machining the heads on the 5.4 mostly in 1999.

Here is the TSB: #03-6-2
     MAR 03 Engine - Oil Leak From R/H Cylinder Head Gasket

If left long enough, I am sure this would cause a complete failure.

When you say "extra insurance" does that mean that you have an extended warranty? If so thats great, but in most cases that engine would have been replaced for free anyway. Be confident that your new/rebuilt 5.4 will be trouble free, as the defect has been corrected.
  • sam818sam818 Posts: 127
    I have a 2004 Lariat SuperCrew. After just 700 miles, I have a squeak which appears to be coming from the entire rear window surround. It squeaks only over bumps, almost as though the cab is flexing, and the window frame (which appears to be one moulded piece)is rigid. Putting hand pressure on the frame when it squeaks does not stop the problem, so I suspect it is a large flexing over a large area.
    Anyone had this problem? What should I do? Does Ford have a contact who would be interested in this or can help?
    Given the published rigidity of the new frame, I am suprised, however, this seems to be a flexing of the "cab"... so was the same attention paid to this?
  • wijocowijoco Posts: 462
    Could simple be a squeak around the moulding mounting surface of the window. I wouldn't suspect that the cab frame itself is flexing. Only solution is to take it back to the dealer until you're satisfied.
  • sam818sam818 Posts: 127
    .....I would imagine that the glass is less likely to flex than the cab itself. I don't think there is any way to make the cab more rigid after the fact..that would have to be addressed at the engineering level.
    I have since found, on other F150 web sites, that this is a widespread defect. The fix seems to be taking the window frame out and inserting some extra foam stripping. It's a bummer, because the truck is otherwise very stiff.
  • spoomspoom Posts: 85
    I needed a truck that could pull a 5000lb trailer and since my first (and last) GMC experience left me incapable of ever giving them a dime again I was left between Ford and Toyota. I'd had Toyotas since '76 and Fords before that. The '03 5.4 Flareside Supercab I eventually got came in at about $2k less than the Toy due to incentives, etc. After about 3 months of ownership I am surprised how bad the wind noise is at highway speeds with a crosswind. It sounds like the window is cracked open but it isn't, and switches from side to side depending which side the wind is coming from. Is this common with this body style? The other thing I noticed is that I am spoiled from my "97 Jimmy SLT's dual sun visors with the slide out extensions. The ones on the Ford PU leave a huge open area in the center of the windshield that is more than just a little annoying. Do the Lariat models have something better? I can give up my super dooper 6 way power seat, but driving into the sun is almost impossible. Any thoughts?
  • 1. I too had the wind noise issue in my supercab. Turns out the back door was not closed completely. Shut it well and the wind issue should be resolved.
    2. I have the Lariat and I too long for extended visors.
    These trucks are supposed to be pretty quiet. If you don't care for the noise, take it back to your dealer and have them fix it. The least they could do is replace the door seal:)
  • bpetbpet Posts: 16
    Hi, I haven't read the boards in a while but I need some help. I have a 2000 F-250 Superduty with the ESOF option. Right now my truck has just over 20,000 miles on it. I have had many problems with my automatic hubs. The original set was replaced when the truck was very new because you couldn't turn them without a set of pliers. The second set did the same thing and was replaced in March of 2001. These first two sets Ford replaced without any problem and at no cost to me. The second set was supposed to be an updated version that was to correct the problems form the past. Until now they have always worked when you turned the switch to engage them, they just would get dirty and it would become very hard to turn them from lock to auto. Now again they won't turn without pliers but I can't get them to engage in the auto position. If I set them to lock everything works fine. I brought the truck in to Ford yesterday and they said one hub is bad and I should replace both. The problem is they want me to pay (over $600) for the new hubs. They tell me all of these hubs are having major problems and Ford is not willing to do much about it. Since I'm on my third set I have to think the hubs are junk and since Ford put them out there they should stand behind them no matter what. I want to fight this refusal by Ford to replace my hubs in any way I can and I would like to hear from anyone that has had the same problem. What should I do?
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    in who-knows how many car sites, it appears that the wife wants a pickup truck...anything that makes HER happy, makes ME happy, for all you married folks out there...considering a used (2003?) F150 King Ranch, which do not seem to be too common, and some local salesfolk do not seem to know what is important to me...yes, color is important, but maybe some King Ranch owners may quick answer some questions...

1. the King Ranch is a true four door with pillar between the doors, I believe...is that true?

2. the seats...I must have manual or power lumbar support for both front passenger and driver...GMC Sierra has 10 way power seats for pass and driver, and also power lumbar support for both...does the King Ranch, or any model of the F150?

3. can the KR be had with a short bed so the entire vehicle does not cross two counties?

4. does the 2003 come with adjustable pedals and a 5.4L engine?

Thanks...Bob
  • tzashtzash Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 F-150 Lariat 4x4 5.4 with 48,000 Mi.
    It has been approx 5,000 miles since the last oil change. The drain plug is tight, and the motor never seemed to burn oil. Friday evening the motor suffered a catastrophic failure. As I was driving down I-95, the "service engine soon" light came on, the engine began to lose power and the oil pressure dropped. Before I could pull off on the shoulder and shut it off, I heard a short "screech" (Obviously a seizure).

Not fair considering that I just bought out the lease and haven't even made the 1st payment yet!

Anyway.- My mechanic has told me that there is a company he deals with, that can get me a new "0" milege motor with all of the updates needed according to the TSB"s issued to the dealers, for about $3,000 (Motor only). It also comes with a 2 year 40,000 mile warranty.

I really like this darn truck. It's my first Ford and I liked it so much, that I convinced my wife to get rid of her 1999 Suburban and buy the 2001 Expedition XLT with the 4.6

Does the price of this replacement motor sound right? Whew! big bucks...

Any alternative suggestions would be appreciated.
    What exaclty caused the failure? I have had nothing but good things to say about my 5.4L, now at 96,500 miles and no problems.

I change the oil at 7,500 miles and I DO have to keep an eye on the oil level. It uses about a quart of oil about every 1,000-1,500 miles. That would probably bother some people out there, but not me. When I think about what my engine does in those 1,500 miles, it kind of makes sense. At those hot temps some of the oil is going to evaporate and get sucked into the intake through the PCV system. Sorry to hear that your Ford loyalty is being tried. Put in the new engine, and just keep an eye on that oil;-)
  • Put in the new engine. I have 167,000 on my 1997 F-150 ext cab flareside. I use about a quarter of a quart every 4000 miles, the oil is always changed every 4000 miles, the only thing I have done to the vehicle in 167,000 mile is replace the ball joints at 125,000 miles because the factory saves .20 cent per vehicle by not putting grease fittings on at the factory. This is the best truck I have ever had, I plan on driving it until it has 250,000 miles.

Good luck with your truck.
  • Hi guys. Im going to start looking for an oldish F150 later this year to use as a promotional vehicle for my business here in England. I?ve looked a number of trucks of all makes but I like the look of the mid to late 80s F150

Therefore I was wondering if anyone had any experience (or problems) with these. I know all of the usual things to look for and a truck of this age isnt going to be perfect but did they have any major vices that I should watch out for?

The model I will be looking for is a long bed regular cab V8 auto, probably a 4x4 but I would rule out a 4x2
  • 97509750 Posts: 2
    I bought an '04 Lariat in January. Now I've got 3600 miles on it. Yesterday the check engine light came on and the information center read something to the effect that the engine was operating in SAFE mode.{I can't remember the exact wording} I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong, so they reset the codes in the computer. The dealer checked with Ford and found that there have been problems of this sort, but they should have new software to download in about a month???
    I back out of the garage this morning, and the same thing happens with the check engine light and SAFE mode. Is anyone else having problems like this?
This discussion has been closed.