Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• iowahawkiowahawk Posts: 4
    This is a follow-up on my initial post (#1042) and a respopnse to # 1076. When a mechanic from my dealership finally heard and felt the clunking noises I got in the drive train of my '04 F-150, they replaced a vacuum control switch which apparently had been trying to engage the 4-wheel drive on its own. I'm 2 weeks past that switch replacement, and have encountered none of the clunks so imagine (and hope) they cured it. The dealership people have been very sincere in their desire to find the problem, so I have no complaints in that regard, unlike some others on here. And if the truck keeps running as it does now, I will drive it a long time; there really is a lot to like about it.
  • path2path2 Posts: 3
    Thank you all for the tips on starting my F250 diesel. I am about to take a trip to Alaska and will apply these tips and some others I have learned along the way,such as making sure the fuel filter and air filters are clean ., the glow plugs are all working properly etc. Keep the ideas comming and I will let you know from time to time how everything is working. Thanks again.
    Path2.
  • unhappy1unhappy1 Posts: 3
    Larry,
    I don't know if it will help or not, but your may want to try and talk the Regional Manager for Ford. I don't know if he covers your region or not, but it worth a shot. You know Ford has the Secret Club where no one but happy customers get to talk with a person from Ford Motor Company. And they wonder why we need to buy Toyota, or Nissan.

Good Luck and don't post it for everyone to see. 972-334-1822.
  • unhappy1unhappy1 Posts: 3
    Have you ever tried to talk with someone at Ford Motor Company when you have a problem with there product? If so, how'd you get through all the BS on the local level? We'll I finally got through, and got a number for a Regional Manager. After he finished the company line he hung up on me. I called him back to let him know that the only reason I can think of for hanging up on a customer is one. You don't know any better. if want the number let me know.
  • jkwjkw Posts: 3
    What Reigion? I'm in Co, and I'll take that #.
    Thanks
  • miller7miller7 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F-250 4x4 7.3 diesel and the warranty is expiring today, the service manager recommends getting the extended policy which would cover me for 3years and /or 35k miles. it cost about $1800. any thoughts.
  • jerrysf150jerrysf150 Posts: 2
    I bought a 2005 F150, Super Cab 4X4 with 5.4L engine. I love the truck in every way but one. When I bought it, the sticker price stated the vehicle gets 14 MPG City and 18 MPG Highway. Ok, I can live with some deviation of the numbers. I've owned numerous foreign made cars and they all had HIGHER actual MPG than the sticker numbers stated they should.

My 2005 F150 has never gotten more than 11 MPG !!!

The dealer says there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

I'm furious with gas prices at $2 a gallon ($70 per fill up), I feel like I've been taken for a ride. If the actual MPG was posted on the sticker, I would have never bought the vehicle.
  • f450f450 Posts: 3
    If you take off the dash cover they are between the dash and the a/c vent..The emergency flasher and turn signal flasher are the same part number and are side by side..They are square, maybe a cover on them...About $13.00
  • f450f450 Posts: 3
    I should have said instrument panel cover comes off not dash cover..
  • I have a new style 04 f150. It has 2900 miles. Three weeks ago I started to feel minor vibrations that escalated to severe vibrations with a metal to metal clunking noise at certain speeds. It is intermittent. I brought it back to Ford to no avail. Does anyone know what the problem is?
  • micomarkmicomark Posts: 11
    spacercable: it appears you are on the verge of greater problems if your follows suit to others on this web site. as a suggestion, you might also test your vehicle while towing which creates greater torque and up long smooth inclines on an interstate highway which also creates greater torque on the drive train. you might find the vibration problems compounds under those condition. i had a bad vibration from 40 mph on up right from the beginnin, Ford replace the entire rear axle and differential. now the vibration is barely detectable at lower speeds and while not towing. however, the vibration is still there lying somewhat dormant until you create torque on the drive train via towing or climbing road inclines. then it reveals itself condiderably. i also have too much slack in the drive train which causes klunking when slowing down and accelerating. this also worsens while towing.
    overall, this Ford F-150 04 and 05 platform appears to be an engineering failure from what I am reading and experiencing.
  • moran1moran1 Posts: 1
    When you buy a truck or a car but more with trucks you have to check the ball joints from time to time there are no grease fittings there sealed units. Lift the tires off the ground a few inches or on a lift and put a bar under the tire and rock the tire and check to see how much it moves it should not move at all if it does the ball joint is shot and also at that point check the tie rides I just replaced my whole front end to my F250 4.6 L 1998 with after market parts with grease fittings the whole job ran just under $1000,00.00 be safe good luck
  • idahoan1idahoan1 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 1994 F250 Diesel 4X4 and just this morning (June 1,05) every time I slowed down I got a vibration in the shift lever that engages and disengages the 4x4. I was thinking it could be a universal joint going bad but have not had time to check it out. I also thought that it might not be completely disengaged from the 4x4 mode but it seemed to be when I checked it.
  • wipeoutwipeout Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab (4x4) in October 2004. The truck now has just over 3,600 miles on it. I have recently had a "shuddering and/or vibration" sensation while travelling between 30-40 M.P.H.. The first time it happened, I had to pull to the side of the road....the "shuddering" effect was unbelievable. I thought one of the tires went flat. After checking all four tires, which were all fine, I drove on my way. The "shuddering" effect feels like I am driving across an old fashioned washboard. The "shuddering" effect has happened about six times within the past week. I have noticed that other Ford Truck owners have experienced similar problems with thier Ford F-150's. Anyhow, I will be contacting my Ford Dealer in the A.M. to make an appointment regarding this problem. Hopefully I won't get the typical run around from the dealer. It is interesting to note that others are having the same problem....put me on the list of people begining to have serious doubts about the All New Ford F-150 4x4.
  • gem912gem912 Posts: 1
    need some help..have a 1999 F250 7.3PS diesel..an the overdrive button has stopped working..the light will not come on, an when pressed doesnt shift out of overdrive..could this be a fuse or am I looking at major repairs? If anyone has any advice please let me know!
    thanks so much!
  • tadragtadrag Posts: 10
    I have had similar problems, outlined above, which appears to be related to emergency brakes. I took it in to the dealer who disassembled the emergency brakes and said everything looked OK, no unusual wear, no rust, he reassembled and so far in about 3 weeks I have only had one instance of the shuddering. Not sure where I'll go with this problem next, I live in a very hilly area and really like to use the park brake when parking.

I isolated the cause by slightly depressing the e-brake pedal during the shuddering, and found that it intensified the shudder. it seems to go away in a few miles, but is not acceptable performance.

Tom
  • sam43sam43 Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same problem. I have a 2001 F150 Supercrew. At times when I start the truck and place it in gear and accelerate forward, a noise (much like a "small" diesel sounding noise) comes from within the engine area. I have had this problem on and off for over a year. I have attributed this to poor quality gas due to buying it at a local supermarket that offers the promo discount. This noise does not appear when I crank it so I am assuming it is not a lifter. It only takes place after I pull away from my parked position and am moving forward. It lasts maybe 10 seconds and completely disappears when I reach 25-30mph. This happens during the hot and cold months. I live in Houston, Texas (high humidity). The sound has completely disappeared in the last few months as I have switched to Chevron with Techron. I've checked my belt and it is not loose or worn. I have approx. 49500 miles. Other than this problem the truck runs great.

One last question for other 01 SCrew owners in my area, my manual says to use 5W-30 motor oil but I have had Ford try to switch me to 5W-20 (after 2001 models they switched to 5W-20). How in the world is 5W-20 going to give me the heat protection in this part of the world? If I lived in Detroit I could understand but I don't need 5W protection down here.

Thanks in advance for any future replies.
  • lurch1lurch1 Posts: 2
    Hey, can anyone out there tell me if you have experience such the same problem.
    While braking the truck lurches forward and then the RPM's rapidly decline past 0 and shut the vehicle down. I need some help here. if anyone has had this problem send message.
    thanks Lurch1
  • lurch1lurch1 Posts: 2
    Having some problems while stepping on the brake to stop the truck lurches forward the RPM drops to 0 and the truck quits. Anyone else having the same problem? Nees help
  • have your torque converter checked. It could be bad or out of balance. I had a similar sensation and replace the converter and solved the problem. good luck
  • check your torque converter. I had similar sensations and replace the converter and solved the problem. other items to check: carrier bearing, drive shaft trueness.
    the clunking noise could be in your chunk (rear end) and would also cause vibrations if it were damaged and out of line.
    good luck
  • angiepdxangiepdx Posts: 26
    I am looking on behalf of my husband for a pickup canopy and trying to save some money of course. Any reputable discount sellers/online sellers of pickup canopies? I realize shipping on something like that would be a lot but wonder if the cost savings would still be significant. He has a F350.

He is interested in the "Leer" brand as he made a note as that being one of his favorites.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Angie
  • The problem you're describing is most likely NOT the drive train. It's a tire issue. When the truck sits, it creates flat spots on the tires. This is particularly noticeable in the morning. As you drive, the flat spots can fall into sync and create one heck of an oscillation. Once the tires are warm, the problem should lessen.

I had this exact same problem with my dad's 1986 F-150 and a 89 Jeep Wrangler in each case, when I changed tires, the problem was solved. Now I have a 2005 F-150 and I notice the rough ride until the tires warm up.

My guess is the dealer won't be much help. The real issue is the weight of the vehicle and the tire design.

Good Luck.
  • capstickcapstick Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 f150 4x4 . At any given time or speed a loud whine noise appears.It sounds like the 4x4 kicking in and some times there is a loud bang in the rear end like gear engagement.It dosen't do it all the time and of course when the mechanic drives it the problem is not there.Any help would be appreciated.
  • capstickcapstick Posts: 5
    Tom
    Have them replace the parking brake I had mine replaced and the problem is gone.
  • 10mpg10mpg Posts: 1
    New guy saying Hi! I'm having a problem w/ my 2001 v-10 idling and starting. It won't start w/o throttling the gas and when it starts I have to keep it running with the pedal. It's happened twice this week. I've changed the fuel filter and done the gas treatments but it was no help. Any suggestions would be great before I take it to the ever under standing an fair dealership in my town
    Thanks Jim
  • stop4itstop4it Posts: 3
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    After several attempts of Ford trying to repair the shutter problem on my 2004 Ford 150, the problem is still intermittent.
    I filed for the lemon law and Ford wrote a letter back to the Better Business Bureau stating that they could not duplicate the problem.
    If this was the case why did they replace parts in the rear end. Now they stated as a goodwill gesture they will have a Ford engineer inspect the Truck.
    Has anyone gotten Ford to buy back their vehicle?
    If so how did you go about it ?
    Thanks
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Two possibilities (of many) that you may want to check out.

1: The throttle body may need cleaning.

2: The Idle Air Control (IAC) may need attention.
  • :sick: Will the 2006 be re-re designed to stop the shudder, gas hog,slamming gear problems that plague the 04 /05 ford trucks I am waiting for the 06 ford f 150 lariat and hope the bugs are exterminated :sick: $30,000 plus and I have to worry if it will a good truck? ( *&(KHU*&&*$$%) crazy
  • tadragtadrag Posts: 10
    Do you mean replacing the pedal/release assembly in the cab, or the brake shoes etc in the drum? I happened to be able to recreate it last week for the dealer service manager and he thought it might be a rusty area in the drum since the truck had sat for a week and our weather had been rainy.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.