Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• Both tanks are full. Vehicle runs then dies. Subisquent attempts to start meet with failure, until after several minutes to an hour.

I suspect the tank switching solenoid, as I have checked all the solenoids under the hood, and all are good.

Is there a way I can determine if that is indeed the problem?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Air in the fuel isn't necessarily a sign that one tank is empty. It can be drawn in from a very tiny leak in a connection. Also, because air is being drawn in it doesn't mean that fuel will be leaking out.
  • I have a 2003 Ford F-150 that has been running great. Recently, with the extended rainy season, I have been experiencing electronics problems. I came out one of those rainy mornings and my truck battery was dead. I charged it up and then noticed that even with the key out, my fan blower was running, I was getting a clicking from the ABS, my audio (CD player) was clicking away...etc... I started the truck and it seemed to run fine. It sat that day and started that night when I left work. About 20 mins into the drive home, it started to beep (5 beeps then stop) and repeated this several times. The beep sounds like a truck backing up kind of tone). No indication of anything else going on. At some point it just stopped. I got home that night and turned it off and it seemed to be fine (nothing running). So I drove it for another 2 weeks without problems. Then the rain came again. Two days into the rain, I had the exact same problem... I came out and the battery was dead. Charged it up and noticed that things were running even though I had it shut off and the key out.

any idea what is going on here? Is this going to cost me a lot of money to fix? Should I extend my warranty??

Thanks....
  • I just picked up my first ford truck a 2000 f150 supercab. I have only had it a week and this evening when we were going out to dinner is started to shake when I was at a red light. When I hit the gas it shook even more. I was just wondering what could have happend someone told me mabey something with the spark plug and that it might be running on 7 cylinders instead of 8. If any of you have any advise it would be greatly appreciated.
  • My oil dipstick will not come out of the tube in my 97f150. 4.2L .It seems it has got stuck somehow. Do I drop the oil pan and look and see what's up.
    This truck is used and the original dipstick was broken off at the tip when I got it.
    I finally got put a replacement dipstick today,that came from a wrecking yard.
    I put this new dipstick in 1 time and read it. The level was ok. Then I put it in again and now it will not come out unless I pull hard. I,m afraid something will break. Thanks for any input.. I am a truck novice
  • lenrlenr Posts: 13
    Just realized that the fluid is gone in my F-150 5.4 with 4R100. The dealer flushed and drained about 10,000 mi ago. They had to add an adapter to drain out all old fluid. This adapter leaked inititally and was tightened by the dealer. It may have cut loose again0\--only this time it was a gusher. It probably leaked completely empty over a 6 mi drive. What should I expect for damage, or have the dealer check? What are the odds of hidden damage that shows up 40,000 mi from now? The truck has 45,000 mi, and the change out was done back at 35,900 mi.
  • I just purchased a f250 super duty and found that Ford changed the pedal to elec. not cable. now when ever I go over rough roads I can't keep the pedal still and the engine surges to the pedal movement. is there a cure for this?
  • I have had this problem since it had 75,000 miles. It has this oil pressure gauge problem. I bought this card at 33,000 miles off of the Ford B Lot. This is like an Employee Program Vehicle. My impression is that it was not taken care of. The oil changes probably did not happen regularly.

This first problem surfaced itself, and I took it to a dealer. The dealer listened to me. The gauge would fluctuate for awhile, and then go to nothing. I would immediately turn the engine off. I had it towed. The service station dropped the pan, and cleaned the screen. Things would be great. By the way, The first thing I did was at the oil station. They did an engine flush. NEVER EVER DO ONE OF THOSE!!!.

After they dropped the pan, they cleaned the screen, and things were fine for the next year and a half. Same problem, took it to the same place, they checked it out. Cleaned the screen. Said it was not gunked up as much as before, and everything was fine for about a year and a half.

The station had told me that it was gunked up the first time, and that I probably made it worse with the engine flush, by breaking loose more gunk.

Well, I am at my third or fourth time of this. I am about to take it in for service. I am contemplating having the screen replaced, and replacing the sender unit. That is about all I can do I think. I do not have alot of money. They say to replace the pump, I just about have to rebuild the engine. I do not have that kind of money.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this same sort of problem ?? Is this a known issue with Ford?? Why is the Ford F150 so susceptible to the oil gunking up ??
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    If the problem is gunk/sludge/whatever, then replacing the screen and sender won't stop it from reappearing.
  • Take a look in the Expedition forum, I think that is where I read this...It sounds like you have a windshield leak. The leak is located just above the fuse panel in the driverside footwell. When it rains, water gets into the fuse panel, causing all kinds of havoc like you mentioned. I recall it being a pretty easy fix, but labor intensive. I bet if you take a look under the dash in this area, you will find moisture.

A friend of mine had a '00 Expedition with the same problem, only the flashers would go on and alarm would sound when it rained, eventually draining the battery. He fixed it by replacing the truck.

Good luck!
  • brycarbrycar Posts: 10
    No i dont think theres anything to fix that it does that on one of my buddys trucks
  • I have a 1997 Ford F-150 4x4 and all of my rear light are failing. I have no break lights and no reverse lights. I have check every fuse and changed all of the bulbs and still nothing works. However i do not have my manuel and i dont know exactly which fuse pretains to the rear lights. Is there anyone out there who has the fuse panel diagram and can tell me which number fuse is the one i need to specificly check and change? Or if anyone may know any other possible things that could be causing this.

Thank You Very Much

Chris
  • My 1989 F250 stalls at nearly every stop, unless I "feather" the clutch while stopping any ideas? I get the standard TPS and EGR codes and have replaced both to no avail over the years. replaced the TFI module a couple of years ago. Thanks for any help -Tim
  • If everything is out, it sounds like no ground. As the different lights run off of different circuits. Good Luck Tim
  • Thanks for replying, well how do they deal with the pedal like that? I have tried to reposition my foot so it does not move but thats impossible.
  • I have a 97 F150 XLT - 4.6. My truck will start but does not hold idle speed so engine stops. Until recently, this was infrequent, however, truck will not run know. As long as I press the accelerator the engine runs. I have changed the fuel filter to no avail. I have approx. 128K miles. The interesting thing is that a buddy of mine has a 2001 - same engine and miles, and haas started to experience similar problems. Any ideas??? I plan to check the TPS next.
  • I just purchased an 2005 f-250 5.4, after I got the truck I noticed that Ford had changed to a elec. throttle instead of a cable, whenever I drive on rough roads I cannot keep the pedal still an the engine responds to this.How can this be fixed.Or is there a fix for this?
  • I had the same problem on a 93 f150, it was the speed sensor, usually mounted in the rear of transmission, mine was in the rear axle housing. Speed sensor controls all the things you mentioned as well as cruise if equiped.
  • Sounds like you've got a problem with the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve). It's either plugged or not actuating and not letting air into the motor during idle. When you first start truck, the throttle plate is closed, the IAC is used to modulate the air flow into the engine while the truck is warming up. Once you step on the gas the throttle plate opens up and lets air in the regular way.

It's a common problem with the Ford modular engines. You can pull it out and try to clean it, or I think Autozone sells an aftermarket replacement for $~75. The IAC fault doesn't always report an error code that can be read with scanner.

If it's not the IAC, you can also check that the Mass Airflow sensor (MAF), and the throttle position sensor (TPS) are both working properly. They usually throw a code. Also check all the vaccuum lines for leaks - especially the few that go through the firewall - they tend to get brittle where they go penetrate the firewall - the leaks are sometimes hard to find
  • Go to auto store and buy a scanner for the diagnostics on the computer.It will tell you if any of the sensors are working or not. Then start the process of elimination from the simplest things like the fuel filter.It sounds like your fuel pump is not holding preasure
  • I am having the same problem...you darn near have to remove the entire engine to get to that ??bolt?? Did you ever figure it out. I have 93 F250 with the same problem.
  • danp5danp5 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 F250 Supper Duty 4X4 Diesel with automatic transmission. When I go highway speeds say for maybe an hour and then start to exit the highway and slow down the transmission make a high pitch sound like it can't find the lower gear to shift into. If I just excellerate then it goes in gear and comes down fine. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing it to miss the gear?
  • Has anyone seen their letters yet? I thought the parts were coming in the middle of November.

Thanks!
  • This happened to me twice on two different fords. The first ford found that the Idle Air valve was sticking.Try to free it up hitting it with a screwdriver handle or something simmilar. Easy to replace cost abouht 75 bucks at the Ford dealer. The other time found a faulty diode in the aternator Only able to find it by putting a scope on it.
  • My 97 F150 ids doing the same exact problem you are having it started tuesday, but now it cotinues and won't stay runing unless you keep your fot on the gas. did you try any of the solutions the others talked about?
  • jimn3jimn3 Posts: 2
    I too have a new (9,000 mi) 2005 SCREW w/moonroof as well and have both of the problems you mention. The headliner rattle and the rear end clunck on acceleration. The clunk seems to happen only when the engine is cold. Goes away after warm up.

I had it in to the dealer for the headliner rattle. As you said it is very annoying. It even rattles just closing the door firmly. The dealer told me there were some sort of spacer blocks between the roof and the headliner that they managed to "shim up" with tape or something without having to remove the entire headliner. Im not sure I believe that but whatever they did seemed to solve the problem for a couple of months, but now it is coming back.

Have you had any luck with either of the problems? The clunking in the rear end or tranny has me the most concerned. I'll take it in to have the dealer look at that in the near future.
  • Hell, I am having the same issue. What ws the resolution to this problem? Thanks - Glenn
  • Check mess. #1591. I had it serviced but the problem is back. I also took the light out myself to diagnose the problem that they could not find. There are two hard rubber bumpers on either side of the dome light that are not in contact with the piece of metal between the headliner and the roof. I think this metal supports tracks that the moonroof cover travels in. I am going to try to Velcro the bumpers to the metal or glue a soft foam between the bumpers and the metal. Thank goodness I don't have the vibrations like some others are describing. I love the truck but I hope I can get the TRANS. problem fixed. Another local Ford dealership told another SCREW owner I know that there is no fix for the problem. :confuse:
  • I have not had my "clunk" looked at yet, but it is definitely getting worse. Mine happens every time I take off from a complete stop, normal takeoffs, no jackrabbits.
    Also, have you experienced a constant motor tick? It sounds like a lifter wrap from the old days..Since it started to get cold out, it is more noticable. It does not go away once the engine warms up.
    I just turned 5k miles..I hope this is not a sign of things to come...Btw, I have an '05 S/CREW 4x4 King Ranch with all the toys including the 3.73 limited slip & trailer tow.
  • Yes, it only happens on normal takeoffs. I have the motor tick/lifter souns also, but only when I have the air or heat on - it seems like.

'05 SCREW 4X4 XLT and I also have the 3.73 rear and tow pkg.
This discussion has been closed.