Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• lima1lima1 Posts: 1
    is it possible for my 2005 Ford F150 supercab to accelerate while pressing the brake without catching the gas padel.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Yes.

Oh, you wanted to know how? :blush:

Well (assuming you have a vacuum brake booster), if it develops a fault that allows part of the vacuum containment to access the atmosphere while the brake is applied, you have the equivilant to a temporary inlet manifold leak, and an inlet manifold leak will allow the engine rpm to rise.

It's not common, and it's not like full throttle, but it can happen. Usual result is that you come to a halt and wonder why the engine is racing.
  • keithl1keithl1 Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum - I have a 2003 F-150 SuperCrew automatic transmission. While gradually accelerating between 45-50 mph my truck "lugs", which feels like going over a bump in the road. This never happens when I accelerate quickly. This speed range must be the point at which the transmission goes into overdrive, but it seems confused sometimes. Is this a concern or just a symptom of this truck?
  • Guess I'll have to get underneath and check it out, hopefully manifold isnt cracked.
    thanks for the imput
  • coultsd73coultsd73 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 F-150 super crew. Just recently the oil pressure on first start up will fluctuate from 0 pressure to normal operating pressure.. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Oil level is normal.
  • tmp888tmp888 Posts: 20
    Could be the gauge. I had similar problem to my 93 Probe GT.
  • jrekjjrekj Posts: 5
    My 1987 F-150, which I bought new, has served me well over the years. Just recently the truck has developed a exhaust leak on the passenger side exhaust header. The Forder dealer wants $300 to $1500 to repair the exhaust leak (note: the truck sounds like heck for the first few minutes after a cold start. But, once it's warmed up, the sound/leak goes away). The wide range in the repair cost is due to the potential of the mounting bolts breaking off due to rust. I found a replacement exhaust header on the internet for $55 and I'm thinking about repairing the vehicle myself. Hence, I'm looking for any suggestions or recommendations before I get dirty.
  • russjrrussjr Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ford F-250 5.4 auto. limited slip. I get a shudder when I accelerate froma dead stop or making a turn and get under moderate to heavy acceleration. I was told it was just the clutches in the posi rear but I was wondering if it could be the tranny. this is the only Ford I owned that I experienced this with. The shuddering stops once the truck is moving. can anyone enlighten me?
  • capstickcapstick Posts: 5
    Hey Tom
    I told you I would get back on the park brake problem.On the report card it says removed park brake shoe replaced L/E brake actuator.My truck was a factory order and built at the KC plant. I am still having problems with the 4 low trying to engage on its own.Other problems I have had-------tailights repaired,tailgate repaired,catalytic convertor,remote start, windshield wiper motor, engine noise (engine dismanteled A/C and both cam gears replaced.I am really P that the dealer has to hear the transfer case noise and loud bang as it trys to engage the 4 low.I told them it could be the vac control and still nothing.They are a good dealership but have their hands tied on this problem.I can see another problem on the horizon if the problems keep up the glove box won't be large enough to hold the work orders
  • gcullumgcullum Posts: 1
    have a 2004 f150 supercrew and have had it in the shop twice. once they replaced the clutches in the rear end and when they gave it back to me it lasted about three months. the next trip to the shop they put anti friction treatment in the rear end and ajusted the computer . i still have the vibration and the slack is getting worse. the service dept says they have never heard of this problem!!! trade it in on a chevy before warranty expires.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    A good breaker bar to try to turn those bolts. Lotsa Band Aids for your busted knuckles, and a good set of drills and taps to replace the busted manifold bolts. ;)
  • chevykevychevykevy Posts: 2
    have same problem- I have a 2004 F150 SuperCrew FX4 4X4 3.73 gears fully loaded! - was told it was the lube/grease in the drive shaft itself - some part slides in and out of drive shaft when the torque converter locks up - dealer re-lubed it 2 weeks ago (they needed to order some special grease from Ford) but I noticed a very light rumbble a few days ago - the exact same rummble that happened 2 months before the violent shudders started - also noticed problems with rear brakes when I release my emergency brakes (cracking noise when I put in in drive or reverse) - I crawled underneath and found that on the passenger side - the emergency brake cable has come off of the caliper ( cable has a little slot that hooks onto caliper) - taking it back for service/warranty work this week - well worth the $48, 850 sticker price eh? (I'm lucky, my budy runs the dealership so I got it at his cost and he treats me like a king- just a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] always taking it in for work!
  • huntr52huntr52 Posts: 2
    :cry: I have an 03', 250, 4x4. I am having problems with severe front end shaking when braking at 55-60. Truck has 80k w/original pads in good shape. Dealer says warped rotors. This is the third time it has happened. I took it in other times and selling dealer fixed, no questions asked with nothing stated on repair ticket. I cant believe that the rotors are warped again. I live in Texas and there is never enough high water to drive thru just mud!!!!!!!!! Anybody got any ideas????? :confuse:
  • skipkskipk Posts: 1
    I'm trying to replace a cracked driverside, telescoping, heated mirror with a turn signal outside edge. I found forddiscountedparts.com. they have just the glass. Has anyone replaced just this part?
  • canadianacanadiana Posts: 2
    Hey Jim,

I was just at my mechanics this evening, and as I suspected after a prolonged period of irritating ticking in my 97 f150 (4.6L)......the manifold is cracked. The ticking is particularly pronounced when the engine is cold, then dissipates as the engine heats (manifold expands and seal crack partially). Anyway, I was told that I should replace both the left and right at the sam,e time as the other one is likely to go sooner or later. Apparently the process is quite involved as the inner wheel wells have to be removed to get at the manifolds. My father has an 01 f150 and had the same problem. He had his replaced in Texas while touring with a house trailer. I was told I could live with the noise, but I think I have heard it long enough....so it looks like new manifolds. Other than that the engine runs great.

Hope that helps

Richard
  • canadianacanadiana Posts: 2
    One more thing....

There is a technical document curtesy of good ole' Visteon availible to all avid googlers':

http://www.visteon.com/utils/whitepapers/2002_01_1317.pdf

This document is mostly technical jargon concluding no correlation between manifold cracking and engine run time. Most of the data is plotted using a Wiebull function (transforming data points to percent rank) and analyzed with basic statistics. It is interesting that there seems to be a clear linear relationship between failure and engine run time, yet the extrapolated conclusion is no causality. The tests were done using a lab simulation hot cold cycle for 10-10,000 hours. Unfortunately as with many other applications, there seems to be some serious lab to field extrapolation error...cause my truck has less than 150,000 miles and I definately have a manifold leak.

My 2 cents

Richard
  • hunter5hunter5 Posts: 2
    I have a '93 F150 5.0L that doesn't seem to have much power. It is very sluggish up hills and on the hiway. Sometimes it doesn't want to go over 50 mph. When under load, like up hills it makes a ticking noise. Just bought the truck. I have replaced the fuel filter, air cleaner, pcv. Next I will look at plugs I guess. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    You forgot the book "1001 bad words".
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    I wrote that book a long time ago when I tried changing my own ball joints. :P
  • Overall, I would have to say that this truck is an impressive truck. But I have not driven the others, only read reviews and I have only had this one for a bit, so time will tell on the quality. But my Biggest gripe, seat design. Bump in the very lower back portion without even cranking up lumbar. Causes aches in my back. Other models don't have this or not as pronounced. Isn't this what Lumbar control is for ??

Has anyone ran across this ?? I would think that my options are to Trade for different Ford with seats more to my liking or swap these seats out. I don't even know if I can, I would need to go to Ford site to check.
This discussion has been closed.