Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• I have a 2002 F150 with 80K miles. The tie rod on the driver's side snapped off while I was driving. It actually punctured the aluminum wheel! Before this happened there was no sign of wear or play in the steering.
    I have seen a TSB for this condition from Ford. Has there been any recall activity or warranty extension for this? The repair for the tie rods and an alignment was $300 and I still have to find a new wheel!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,855
    80K is plenty of life for a tie rod, so I think it's normal wear and tear. It's not something you necessarily might "feel" when the tie rod is worn out. Right around 80K is when most cars' suspensions and steering start to get tired. We don't notice the deterioration because it is so gradual.

Still, having the tie rod snap off is a scary situation. I had it happen to me, and it was not nice. Glad to hear you're okay.

Next thing---check the other side and, in fact, just replace it right now.

• rod10rod10 Posts: 1
    I fell in love with my 6.0 Super Duty but was soon disillusioned when the inner cooler blew on a cross country trip, leaving me and my wife stranded. I had good luck getting it repaired and was on my way again in 24 hours. On our next cross country trip the inner cooler blew again, leaving us stranded a second time. This time we didn't have good luck in getting it fixed. We had to send for someone to tow our fifth wheel home and we incurred additional expense. It was poorly repaired and I had to do some minor repairs on the way home when the inner cooler hose came apart because of poor workmanship. I took it back to Ford where they assured me the proper repairs were made. I was disillusioned and it was then more like a love-hate relationship with my truck. I couldn't trust it. We then took it on another trip pulling our RV when again the inner cooler blew. I took it back to the dealer for repairs. They replaced inner cooler and turbo charger and claim that it is fixed properly now. How would you bet? Last, but the most serious was my dealings with a gentleman at Ford Corporate Headquarters named Michael. I had a conversation with him and he promised a resolution and made a phone appointment to let me know what Ford would do for me. He did not keep the appointment and when I called later in the day he spoke to me long enough to put me on hold for 30 minutes after which I hung up and called again.
    I have tried to reach him several times since but he will not return my calls.
    Maybe in time I could live with this truck if it doesn't give me any more trouble, but the experience with the highest level of Ford has changed my mind about dealing with Ford in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions for what other options I may have in this case?
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Posts: 105
    My 87 F150 which has the 300 straight six.When I cold start the truck,the idle swings back and forth from 400 RPM to 1200 RPM.This begins to improve after several minutes and idles around 700 steady when warm.Does any one have any ideas?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    You don't say what the actual problem was with your intercooler, but I'd guess it might have been the inlet hose blowing off, a not uncommon problem unfortunately.
  • keuper20keuper20 Posts: 5
    for f-150 owners 04-06 with vibration problems ford has multiple solutions based on severity of the vibration and where its coming from.pay close attention at what speed vibration occurs and where you feel it,steering wheel shake or butt shake(seat).this is important.for higher speed steering vibrations the prob is usually tires and/or wheels,most dealerships have balancers that can cure this prob.for box shake there is a vibration dampner that mounts to rear frame to help this prob.for severe shakes poss.driveshaft,tranny mount,or parking brake problems.please be patient,these trucks will have some vibrations because of the ridgid frame design,so we are told.hope this helps.
  • pllangpllang Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 F150, 38K miles. When I turn left or right from a stop there is significant shuddering and vibration. Happens to a lesser degree when going straight, problem is much worse when turning left. My dealer doesn't seem to know what the problem is. Anyone have a similar problem?? On a side note I just had to have the transmission rebuilt, went 1,000 miles after the warrenty ran out. Needless to say I am not a happy camper.
  • keuper20keuper20 Posts: 5
    depending on build date there is a tsb for front end shudder.if your brakes pulsate when braking the tsb states to replace front rotors AND rack and pinion.if your truck does not fall under this tsb then i would look into a low pwr steering pump volume pressure or air in the system.
  • phauenstphauenst Posts: 1
    I have 2004 F150FX4 with a bad vibration, I mean rattle your teeth out bad! :sick:
    But it is intermittent.
    Also noticed at stop lights the truck would roll at idle when I took my foot off the brake and sometimes would not.
    Dealer was clueless, wanted to change rear end.
    Today it happened again, so I stopped on the highway and noticed smoke coming off my rear wheels, brake rotors/drums were cherry red.
    Turns out my parking brake is hanging up and dragging.
    I see a lot of posts about vibrations, so this might be the first thing that should be looked at.
  • pllangpllang Posts: 3
    Keuper20,

Thanks for your comment, The vibration only occurs when starting from a full stop and turning, much worse when turning left, less when turning right, rarely when going straight, does not shudder or vibrate at all when braking. Do you think the problem may be stabilizer or control rod bushings?,

Thanks again,

Paul
  • Had EXACTLY the same issue in my 2003 F-150 at 8,500 miles (vehicle shudder when turning either direction from dead stop, not as severe when going straight). Ford mechanic test-drove it for 5 seconds and precisely identified the problem: Bad limited-slip rear differential clutch. Dealership replaced it at no expense (under warranty) with what they said was a new and improved part. That was two years ago. Today the truck has 54,000 miles and it's still fine. However, this F-150 is now on its 4th set of front brake rotors (under 50,000 miles total). For this fourth set, I gave up on the Ford dealership and went to a brake/muffler shop and they installed "heavy duty" Bendik rotors. Everything was great for the first few thousand miles after installation of the "heavy duty" rotors, but the recurrent front-end vibration on braking is now gradually returning -- again! Have you or anyone you know had any F-150 rotor vibration issues like this? Any suggestions? Thanks, Elwood
  • My cousin recently had his 05 F-150 4x4 King Ranch with 32k at the dealer because of idling problems. After they looked at the truck for 1 week running tests Ford ultimately replaced all the injectors. One service technician said they have seen this before and it could be real problem for Ford, but the service manager said it's an isolated incidence.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?
  • I just bought an 06 f350 march 1. I have noticed slippage from 3rd to fourth when lightly accelerating. It is almost like the tranny cant make up its mind between 3rsd and 4th.

I havent gone to the dealer yet, so I dont know what the problem is. Anyone elso got any info? :mad:
  • plandpland Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem on my '05 F-150 5.4 Supercrew. Have lost the #6 injector twice and still idles rough. The dealer replaced all 8 injectors & still idles rough. I have 13k miles on the truck & it has been in the dealers repair garage 5-6 times with idle, AC & transmission problems.
  • I have a 2000 F-250 V10 and it does the same thing, I only have 54000 miles on it and I bought it with 10000, I have a lot of problems with this truck, and I see alot of people having same problems. Scares me to ever buy a ford truck again
  • are you using your emergency brake? I had the same problem - '04 super-crew FX4 4X4 - truck would vibrate viloently while driving - problem was in emergency brake shoe - had parts replaced - never used emerg. brake again - problem disappeared.

hope it helps
  • 9925099250 Posts: 1
    1999 F250SD V-10
    travel down the road, acts like engine dies, but engine is still running at an idle, hit gas pedal, no acceleration...shut key off, restart, truck acts normal, have replaced MAF sensor, TP sensor, possible transmission problems? Have checked fuel pressure, 35lbs. Not consistent, some days runs fine, others above problem occurs. Anybody else experiencing?
  • e5ge5g Posts: 1
    All right smart guys, I need your help! 1997 F-250 7.3 litre turbo diesel. I installed an aftermarket down tube which took way to long to do. I love the increased horses, but hate the excessive noise and the major vibration that now occurs at idle and goes away about 300 rpms above idle. What happened? Did I break something? Is their further tuning that needs to be done? I have read about the e-brake problems but I have no vibration at speed or coasting. Also, any good luck at dampening the noise? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :sick:
  • fordallfordall Posts: 1
    The transmission that bogged down during the 1-2 shift had a bad #7 check ball in the valve body. It seems that the check ball controls the torque converter clutch and when it comes on at the wrong time it causes the vehicle to seem to loose power or shift too soon. Actually when the conveter clutch comes on it locks out the torque multiplication from the action of the reactor and makes it feel like it bogged down. TSB 06-08-02 covers it.
  • joshbouyjoshbouy Posts: 1
    it will not idle when it does it surges when you can get it to take off its real slow once the speed finely increases or turbo spools up truck takes off and runs but when you stop truck dies or surges and wont take off again
  • correywcorreyw Posts: 2
    I hate to say it but think it is a never ending nightmare...very hard to admit for a Ford guy at heart! I've been to the dealer 12 different times heard 12 different excuses.... had the engine torn apart 4 times, transmission worked on twice, cam phasers replaced twice, vct sensors replaced, cam sensors replaced, crank triggers replaced. O2 sensors, replaced, paint peeled the day I bought it and had to be repainted, tires replaced, and needless to say the vibrations from nearly day 1 which has always been a mystery to the dealers that no one has been able to figure out and no help with Fords circle jerk hotline and customer service! Oh dont let me forget that the 12th trip to the dealer they didn't put my engine back together completely left the oil from the engine and ac all over everything under the hood, scratched the hell out of my bumper using it for a step stool and forgot to cover the fenders while there shirt snaps scratched the piss out of them. I think they got the customer service aspect down to a T with this problem. So much for a 40,000 dollar truck I bought 6 months ago with 15 miles on it. I'm a very easy going patient person and have always had the attitude the sh@t happens but have lost my patience and respect the way I have been treated by Ford when they tell you to get your attorney. So last of all I did pay the up front fees to retain an attorney with Ford experience today and have been warned Im the little guy with little money compared to Ford but have also got a good case and a good chance so Im going for it anyways. After all I have kept all the documents, receipts, dealer conversations, and etc all well documented. Does anyone else remember the truthabouttrucks movie with Rick Titus that was handed out when you bought it at the dealer...its funny the omitted the ultimate smooth ride for the 2006's new movie I just picked up. Last thing I want to get out here to everyone is I feel your PAIN and I know there is risk to everything in life but if anyone else wants to get involved and make the case stronger and knows how we can contact each other since we cant post email addies let me know! Strength does come in numbers and I must fight for our right!
  • i have a 95 ford f-150 2wd. starter cranks but engine wont fire. i can hear the fuel pumps when the key turns and all accessories work. checked for spark from the coil wire and there was none. ford told me i needed to replace the ignition module--- i replaced it--same thing.. found out the new one failed 2/3 times. i replaced it again 5 days ago--worked great until today. i don't know what to do. i have also replaced the spark plug and coil wires as well as the rotor and cap. could it be coil then?? i don't know much about this stuff...please help
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Well, sorry to hear about your bad experience. At this point it is safe to state that Ford has no clue what is wrong with your truck. In desperation and under pressure, they keep replacing everything that they think may solve the problem, so far without success.

It is rather fortunate that pickup trucks retain good resale value. My suggestion to you is to give it one last try to force Ford to buy the truck back. If not, trade in on another brand pickup. You may do better than you think on trade.
  • gchiiigchiii Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with both a F-150 and Grand Marquis.
    I clean the air vains and the EGR valve this fixed the ploblem. PS do not run less than 91 Octane in ford V-8 engines. This clogs up the EGR valve.
  • msm350msm350 Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 f150 with silm prob doing the same and also when the trans is put in to gear drive or reverse the wipers and inter lights turn off Did you find any thing?
    Thanks in advance for any help
    Mark
  • I purchased a Ford F150 FX4 less than a month ago and it is already in the shop for a new engine with only 1500 miles on it. Is there any recourse this BS, can the truck be returned? Would you please share any information you may have found out from your lawyer as to how to make them responsible for this mess? Thanks
  • correywcorreyw Posts: 2
    I dont know what state you are from but Im in Iowa and Iowa's law states you have to give them 10 days to respond and 1 attempt to repair the vehicle. First you have to mail out a certified/registered notice to Ford which went out Friday (so should have it today). If they fail on either part of that then you do not have to give them any second chances and can rescind the contract. There are still more options but this is the first part of it. As for an update on the truck itself I washed it really good this weekend and noticed the clear coat is peeling on the roof and passenger door as well and they totally missed a spot on the passenger fender and the driver side seam of the hood. The tailgate is also bubbling. The vibration only gets worse as days go by. I hate to say it since I've owned a F150's in all these past years (1977,1985,1990,1996,2001, and now the 2005)all new and loved them and never had any problems with them. I just hope Ford doesn't continue backwards! However do not waste time if your state has a lemon law! I began noticing this from the beginning and thought its new and has bugs but it only gets worse.
  • redspaderedspade Posts: 1
    I have real bad gas mileage on my f150 4.9 inline 6. I have replaced the wires/cap/rotor/plugs/serp.belt/ and Air filter..I have also made sure the tires were at the proper inflation.. And I still only get at the most 12mpg.. :confuse: I am going to change the fuel filter but I still don't know else to do? my tranny is a 5 speed standard that comes with this year..nothin special.. With these gas prices.. looks like I'm going to have to keep driving my crappy 4 :lemon: banger... Help anyone?
  • On 1-21-06 I fell into the trap when I purchaced a new 2005 F150. Thiry six hours later it spent 10 days back at the dealer where they claimed a Ford engineer reviewed the truck (this turned out to be a lie). After getting the truck back they gave me an invoice stating that brake parts in the back were changed, new tires were put on, and a vibration damper was installed. When I asked where this damper was installed, the service manager REFUSED to show me because he was busy. Me being the calm and understanding person, I decided not to make waves.
    This did not correct anything but I decided to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt and test out the fixes. I understand that I am too close to the problem and could me extremely critical and mistake the vibration for the way the truck was driving.

After a few weeks the vibration had not changed - it was still there and making me physically sick by the time I got to work. I had a friend that is a driveline engineer test drive it to confirm my claim, he agreed that it was bad.

I took the truck in a second time to the dealer and asked that the service manager show me this damper - he flat out refused. Luckly someone walked by and offered to show me. Everyone was shocked when we found that this part was never installed. The service manager was also stupid enough to admit he never put it on. This story is more involved and luckly the sales person quit working there over my issues and has agreed to testify in court.

The dealership finally put on the damper and it did not even phase the vibration - it was still there. After all of the drama I took the time to think without emotion and contacted a lawyer. Through out this whole process I have asked for my money back (nothing more, nothing less) and have filed almost every bit of paper work I can.
    I finally had to go to another dealership that is extremely out of my way - per my lawyers advise I cannot disclose anything about my case but I will say this. I WILL NOT GIVE UP UNTIL I GET MY MONEY OR A JUDGE GIVES ME A DECISION. To top it off I am having a problem with my trans, the 3-2 shift feels like a neutral slam and the truck is a dog. No power, and I baby that thing. The dealer says that the nature of the beast - I say that truck is junk. By the way, the vibration is still there.

After researching this problem for three months I have found;

This problem is very wide spread - I am starting to question the safty over a short peorid of time. Vibrations will cause other parts of the truck to fail.

I have met three independent owners stating that the rear axel will snap under stress within design parameters.

If you look under the rear left bumper, that is where the dampers are placed - its kinda funny how they know where to put them and the truck is already setup to have it installed.

I live in the south east Michigan area and intend to do everything in my power to inform the general public about this. Most importantly I am going to the press. Every side to an argument has a right to a defense so lets hear it. If you are reading this and would like to band together to get your money back and inform others please let me know at

F150help@hotmail.com

Power in numbers! Share you story and we can help each other.
  • ANYONE HEARD OF THIS? 2002 F-250 5.4L GAS,SPARKPLUG BLOWING OUT OF TOP OF HAED CAUSING MAJOR DAMAGE.TRUCK HAS ONLY 43000KM AND IS BABIED ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANX KEVIN :mad:
This discussion has been closed.