Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Gee, I like the fantastic exterior of the current F150 4X4, like the great interior and center stack, and the step-in is fine for someone who is only 5'10" (try the step in on a Dodge 1500 for comparison; you'll need to make two steps to get in). But to read these posts about drive train problems, heads that spit plugs and then can't be helicoiled, etc. makes me wonder.

Have they cured the drive train vibration problem in '06? If I were to look for a used '05 does the drive train vibration show up all the time or is it intermittent?
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I would stay away from late model F150s, including the '06 model. I am really getting annoyed by all these issues with the new trucks. Chevy and Dodge have them too. I thought that Chevy transmissions were great and all of a sudden transmissions on 1 year old Chevy z71's in my neighborhood are failing left and right. I happen to have an '06 Z71 and I am less than delighted to hear this.
  • My 2004 F150 Crew Cab has a terrible vibration that seems like it is due to the bed vibrating or shaking. My Ford dealer checked it out and said the bed it tight, etc. and that it is just the way the body/frame is built. Still doesn't seem right to me. Have never driven a pick-up and had the bed bounce and move like this one.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    ...........and that it is just the way the body/frame is built. Still doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, it is the way it's built (and it's the way they continue to build them), and no, it doesn't seem right to many other owners either.

Read back through this forum to see your problem repeated many, many times. :(
  • efk9efk9 Posts: 1
    While my truck was in for PA inspection at the local Ford dealer, they said that the rear right wheel cylinder was leaking, so I said go ahead and replace it. When I got the truck back I noticed a vibration from the front end when braking hard, that wasn't there previously. It is not noticeable while braking at slower speeds. It seems like warped rotors, but this just started after getting the truck back from the dealer.I took it back and questioned them about it and they said that the rear fix would not cause the front vibration and of course they would look into it for an additional cost. I said don't bother. I replaced the rotors, brakes and calipers. The rotors and brakes only had about 12k miles on them. Needless to say I still have the problem. Is it possible that they put in a defective wheel cylinder that is causing some kind of pressure problem? I bled the whole system with new fluid about 2 years ago and never had any problems. Any body have any ideas?
  • I just had the same problem today with my 2003 F-150 4x4. Was out showing some farmland and put the thing in 4x4. The light came on but after we got stuck we discovered it never was in 4 wheel. We than tried everything to get out but the back wheels just spun. We called a guy around the corner and he came and pulled me out. After we got moving the thing went int 4 wheel drive low and would not come out. We tried rocking it, backing up, everything to no avail. I had no choice but to drive it home in 4 wheel drive low for 2 miles. When I got home I turned it off and let it sit a bit. After about 20 minutes I was able to get it out of 4 wheel drive and back into 2 wheel drive. I now can go in and out of normal 4 wheel drive but now I don't have a 4 wheel drive low. I rarely ever use 4 wheel drive so needless to say I pretty upset. I'm almost thinking some type of sensor was went bad??? Anyone else had the issue?
    I am not sure about Fords, but some Chevy trucks have problems with the Autotrac transfer case switches (selector switch for 4WD high and low). Sounds like you may have a defective switch too. Hopefully that's all it is, because the switch is the least expensive part to replace in the 4WD system. I personally strongly dislike electronic transfer cases. I prefer the old fashioned lever. It is a lot more reliable and I am not too lazy to pull on it.
  • brownybrowny Posts: 3
    to dieselblues.theres a few things with fords awful hub system 1-vac.sensor 2-oring on hub 3-bearing in the hub.the system work on a pulse on off on off.all the time.weather hubs are locked or not.and the tolerance are so tight that even a slightly worn hub bearing can screw it up.good luck ps they should have left it alone.lock your hubs and pull the stick.the good old days.from browny
    to obxlover4. your not the only one with this problem.first thing is stop going to that dealer they suck.email ford and tellem.the vibration is happening on 150 and 250. 20041/2 to 2005. trucks.three truck owners i know.there front hub unit was no good. all had under 30.000 miles on them.and one truck had a bad tire.what has happened is ford mo.co.is cutting back on warranty money to dealership. so some dealers will just bull S.in till your warranty is up. so you have to pay it.so go to some other dealer. from browny.
    to apapp4.they do owe you a new engine.first off ford has had lots of problems with the fuel systems from computer stuff and bad injectors.sometimes to point gas would come out the tail pipe.your engine was probably already gas washed in that cylinder.so what they did was let idle for awhile put it on the anolizer brought the rpms up by this time its full of gas and blew the cylinder out.call ford custumer serice number.start there.
  • mtbbkrmtbbkr Posts: 1
    I have a 06 F150 Supercrew, my 4th F150, my first 4X4. When I turn left, which unweights the left front wheel, and pass over a dip the left front suspension makes a clunking sound as the wheel drops into the dip. I have had it to the dealer two times, the first time they checked all fasteners for tightness and torque specs, the second they replaced the upper A arm. Still makes the sound. Is this sound inherent to a 4X4 as I have never heard a sound like this on any of my previous F150s. :confuse: image
  • piper460piper460 Posts: 1
    HEY DOES ANY ONE KNOW OF WHAT WOULD CAUSE ONLY ONE WINDOW ON AN F150 SUPERCREW NOT TO GO DOWN. I CHANGED THE DRIVE MOTOR AND IT WONT GO DOWN. UP IS NO PROBLEM. THANKS FOR THE HELP
    Bad switch?
  • recently I replaced my starting system(alternator, starter, cylanoid, voltage regulator, and the battery) but I can't seem to figure out why the voltage regulator keeps dying, and the battery also dies. I have an 1985 F-250, can anyone help me?
  • I am the proud owner of a 2002 F150 5.4L with 73K miles.
    Several months ago it developed a miss, the local parts house scanned the engine codes and determined the #8 cylinder was misfiring. The next day it cleared up and has run fine until a few days ago. The miss returned another scan determined that #7 & #8 were misfiring. I decided I better try to find out why, so I bought a set of plugs and a COP module. When I removed the plugs there was considerable moisture in the 7 & 8 plug wells and the rubber boot was very wet.
    Three questions what is the correct torque for the newly installed plugs, and does anyone have any idea where the moisture is coming from? (I do not wash my engine), and do I dare seal the boots to the head with high temp silicone?
    Thanks in advance.
  • jteleskyjtelesky Posts: 13
    All those F-150 owners out there be patient... The vibration problem or harmonics can be addressed through your dealership and finally with Ford Engineers and representatives. Ford has been very fair in dealing with my 05 but you must take the proper approach. Butting heads and acting as a gorilla will not solve your problem. Think before you act and be respectful. This is an excellent truck...
  • bfassettbfassett Posts: 17
    I have a 2002 F-150 and had some spark plug issues.The heads on this model are aluminum and thin.Ford knows they had a problems with the engine "spitting" plugs.They only grab about 3 threads.Make sure this is not an issue.Usually they can't be fixed without replacing the head. My problems all started on the # 3 cylnder.First with a coil and then the injector went bad and then the plug went.BOOM I was only doing 10 mph so that prevented more damage. Have your dealer check.You may be able to do some preventative maintenance.
  • mudder1mudder1 Posts: 1
    would water plug them up
    and wat would make it not run l :sick:
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Doesn't matter if it's Ford, Chev, or Dodge injerters(whatever that is) there is no internal combustion engine that I am aware of that will run on water.....
  • tcandsuetcandsue Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 f-250 4x4. When traveling 65 mph and I encounter a rough spot on the freeway or pot hole, the front end goes into a violent uncontrollable shake and woble. I took it in to the dealer and they said the dampener rod was out and replaced it. It was ok for a while but started again, only worse. When it happens I have no choice but to slow down, and as I do it amplifies the problem but stops after the speed is reduced . This is a very serious prblem and I think if it happens in a curve I am going to lose control.I know the 4x4's have a stiffer suspension, but this is crazy. I hope someone can share a similar experience and some advise. Thanks,White Knuckles.
This discussion has been closed.