Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• timswifetimswife Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2005 F250 with the same problem. I brought it to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong and they never heard of the problem. Please let me know how many others you hear back from with the same problem.
  • tcandsuetcandsue Posts: 4
    Thanks Timswife. I took it to another dealer yesterday, and the dampener strut was ok. They did however redo all of the front suspension adjustments as they said they were out of wack so to speak. The steering arm, tie rod, etc. They said there really wasn't much wrong. It seems like it is better, but I will know more tomorrow hen I get back out on the highway. I am not very optimistic though. Just how severe would you say your experience was? My next step will be to take the service manager out with me on a road test. That should set some alarms off. Regards, Tom
  • timswifetimswife Posts: 3
    Hi Tom,

I am writing for my husband Tim. He said it was so severe he could hardly keep control of the vehicle (he is avery strong man). He said If I was driving it I would have been in a very bad accident.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for the reassuring post. But, what is the solution and how will it be addressed by the Ford dealer body? Has it been fixed for the MY2006 F150's so that the don't vibrate?
  • 04e35004e350 Posts: 2
    I have owned my 2004 F-150 FX4 truck for 18 days. It has 14,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop for 5 days already. It has a loud rattling noise from underneath at 50 mph or when pulling a hill, and between 1st and 2nd gear-it "bogs down". We took it to a Ford service center, (not the one we bought it at-that's a whole separate issue for another time!!!). In 1 week, they replaced the radiator for a leak, serpentine belt, bolts in the fan shroud (wrong ones were in there), air cleaner bracket, intake tube bracket, both catalytic converters, drive belt, and tightened the transmission oil cooler (which was falling off), and the problems are still not resolved. Dealer says they don't know how to fix the problem. They can hear the rattling noise when driving vehicle and can feel shifting problem, but unable to resolve issue. Truck is going back to original dealership on Monday and we are getting our trade-in back (per dealer suggestion!). This vehicle is a previous Ford buyback, and we are already the 4th owners, (of which we were not aware of either of these issues at time of sale). What is wrong with this picture? Has anyone been through similar situation or know what the problem is with the truck?
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I've always wondered what happened to factory buy backs. Does a complete Car Fax (beware, there are different levels of a Car Fax you can run; the free one the dealer offers you is very cursory) tip one off to a buy back??
  • i keep going through starters and cant figure out why they keep going bad on me please help.
  • 04e35004e350 Posts: 2
    Not if it was NOT reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON. The CARFAX report we ran was a single report over the internet that we paid $19.99 for. It really was not much help in our situation as far as the "buyback" issue was concerned. We only found out after the sale because the dealer called 5 days later to tell us we had to sign a paper stating we are aware the vehicle is a buyback. You can imagine what my answer was!!!
  • thnkfstthnkfst Posts: 1
    I have an 2005 F250 with 23k miles and just experienced the problem you are describing. I was traveling about 55 and ran over a pot hole. The truck started shaking uncontrollably it felt as if my front wheel was falling off. I will try the dealer tonight.
  • the problem you are haveing is similar to mine but i have no moisture your moisture is hrom the hose going to the heater core it has a small leak getting into the bore for the spark plug and shorting it out
  • I have a 2002 F150 with 80K miles. The tie rod on the driver's side snapped off while I was driving. It actually punctured the aluminum wheel! Before this happened there was no sign of wear or play in the steering.
    I have seen a TSB for this condition from Ford. Has there been any recall activity or warranty extension for this? The repair for the tie rods and an alignment was $300 and I still have to find a new wheel!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    80K is plenty of life for a tie rod, so I think it's normal wear and tear. It's not something you necessarily might "feel" when the tie rod is worn out. Right around 80K is when most cars' suspensions and steering start to get tired. We don't notice the deterioration because it is so gradual.

Still, having the tie rod snap off is a scary situation. I had it happen to me, and it was not nice. Glad to hear you're okay.

Next thing---check the other side and, in fact, just replace it right now.

• rod10rod10 Posts: 1
    I fell in love with my 6.0 Super Duty but was soon disillusioned when the inner cooler blew on a cross country trip, leaving me and my wife stranded. I had good luck getting it repaired and was on my way again in 24 hours. On our next cross country trip the inner cooler blew again, leaving us stranded a second time. This time we didn't have good luck in getting it fixed. We had to send for someone to tow our fifth wheel home and we incurred additional expense. It was poorly repaired and I had to do some minor repairs on the way home when the inner cooler hose came apart because of poor workmanship. I took it back to Ford where they assured me the proper repairs were made. I was disillusioned and it was then more like a love-hate relationship with my truck. I couldn't trust it. We then took it on another trip pulling our RV when again the inner cooler blew. I took it back to the dealer for repairs. They replaced inner cooler and turbo charger and claim that it is fixed properly now. How would you bet? Last, but the most serious was my dealings with a gentleman at Ford Corporate Headquarters named Michael. I had a conversation with him and he promised a resolution and made a phone appointment to let me know what Ford would do for me. He did not keep the appointment and when I called later in the day he spoke to me long enough to put me on hold for 30 minutes after which I hung up and called again.
    I have tried to reach him several times since but he will not return my calls.
    Maybe in time I could live with this truck if it doesn't give me any more trouble, but the experience with the highest level of Ford has changed my mind about dealing with Ford in the future. Does anyone have any suggestions for what other options I may have in this case?
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Posts: 105
    My 87 F150 which has the 300 straight six.When I cold start the truck,the idle swings back and forth from 400 RPM to 1200 RPM.This begins to improve after several minutes and idles around 700 steady when warm.Does any one have any ideas?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    You don't say what the actual problem was with your intercooler, but I'd guess it might have been the inlet hose blowing off, a not uncommon problem unfortunately.
  • keuper20keuper20 Posts: 5
    for f-150 owners 04-06 with vibration problems ford has multiple solutions based on severity of the vibration and where its coming from.pay close attention at what speed vibration occurs and where you feel it,steering wheel shake or butt shake(seat).this is important.for higher speed steering vibrations the prob is usually tires and/or wheels,most dealerships have balancers that can cure this prob.for box shake there is a vibration dampner that mounts to rear frame to help this prob.for severe shakes poss.driveshaft,tranny mount,or parking brake problems.please be patient,these trucks will have some vibrations because of the ridgid frame design,so we are told.hope this helps.
  • pllangpllang Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 F150, 38K miles. When I turn left or right from a stop there is significant shuddering and vibration. Happens to a lesser degree when going straight, problem is much worse when turning left. My dealer doesn't seem to know what the problem is. Anyone have a similar problem?? On a side note I just had to have the transmission rebuilt, went 1,000 miles after the warrenty ran out. Needless to say I am not a happy camper.
  • keuper20keuper20 Posts: 5
    depending on build date there is a tsb for front end shudder.if your brakes pulsate when braking the tsb states to replace front rotors AND rack and pinion.if your truck does not fall under this tsb then i would look into a low pwr steering pump volume pressure or air in the system.
  • phauenstphauenst Posts: 1
    I have 2004 F150FX4 with a bad vibration, I mean rattle your teeth out bad! :sick:
    But it is intermittent.
    Also noticed at stop lights the truck would roll at idle when I took my foot off the brake and sometimes would not.
    Dealer was clueless, wanted to change rear end.
    Today it happened again, so I stopped on the highway and noticed smoke coming off my rear wheels, brake rotors/drums were cherry red.
    Turns out my parking brake is hanging up and dragging.
    I see a lot of posts about vibrations, so this might be the first thing that should be looked at.
  • pllangpllang Posts: 3
    Keuper20,

Thanks for your comment, The vibration only occurs when starting from a full stop and turning, much worse when turning left, less when turning right, rarely when going straight, does not shudder or vibrate at all when braking. Do you think the problem may be stabilizer or control rod bushings?,

Thanks again,

Paul
This discussion has been closed.