Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000 Ford F-250 Super Duty Problems and Solutions

Comments

• jnealjneal Posts: 247
    As Mac24 said, take it to AutoZone and have the code/codes read and post them here. Someone may be able to offer some advice based on the codes.
    Also, while you are at AutoZone, have them check your battery and alternator....could be the problem.
  • peaveypeavey Posts: 1
    We have this same problem. Dealer has had the truck twice now and cannot duplicate the noise. while moving, our truck will suddenly sound like we are dragging a muffler and then pop. Last time it did it we managed to go 30 miles with it constantly making the noise..it even kept up through slowdowns and turns. It appeared to be effecting the low gears or idle while going slow. It only stopped once we pulled up to the ford dealer and came to a complete stop. Help...( muddflap4@aol.com )
  • 4byfour4byfour Posts: 2
    Lucky guy. I want one too!
    2wd or 4wd?
    I want a 4wd.
    where did you buy it and if you don;t mind how much?

What is the reliability of these new Fords?
  • pbotpbot Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 F-350 with the 7.3L turbo diesel and when I try to start it under 55 degrees it fires a little then quits. The most recent case is today at 47 degrees. I end up having to plug in the block heater. After i get it running it's fine and starts the rest of the day without problems.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I was thinking it may be my glow plugs but it only has 85,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    glow plugs need periodic replacement I believe on your truck. Not sure, but you should check to see if this is a normal "expendable" item that requires swapping out at a certain mileage. Diesels ignite solely on compression, so it's either the glow plugs or low compression as a rule.

There are more radical solutions for getting cold diesels to start easily but for 47 degrees I don't think they apply here.

• wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Check your Glow Plug relay. From reading Powerstroke posts it seems to be the weak link a lot of the time. Glow plugs do die, but your's aren't that old.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    That's a really good suggestion as well. The relay is probably fused, too, so check that too.

• shakeyf250shakeyf250 Posts: 2
    I am glad i'm not the only one that is having this problem with their truck, and service department at the dealership, i just got my truck back and the service tech adjusted the gear mesh load in the steering box, now my truck feels like it doesn't have power steering, i am almost leary to drive it on the interstate. My next step is to have the tech/ service mngr drive on the interstate and have it happen to them, i bet after they change their shorts they will find a solution!
    thanks, shakeyf250
  • rlewis1rlewis1 Posts: 2
    It sounds like you may have a vacum leak. Get a can of WD-40 and spray it around your engine while it is idleing. If the engine rpm's increase you found the leak. Fix it and your problems should be solved.
  • rlewis1rlewis1 Posts: 2
    My truck has 15,000 miles and it has started making a loud grinding noise followed by the sound of gears spinning freely and winding down in the front end. This occurs while driving at any speed. It will normally stop when I slow down or come to a complete stop and you hear a loud clunk and everything returns to normal. It grinds loud enough that everyone around is staring wondering what is wrong. I suspect a problem with the hubs or axles in the front end.
    Has anyone else had this problem fixed??
    From talking to other people it is not uncommon, but the dealers couldn't fix the problems. My truck has been in the shop for three days now and they are clueless.
  • shakeyf250shakeyf250 Posts: 2
    I just got the truck back from the dealership today and haven't had a chance to test drive it on the interstate, they replaced the steering box with a new one, but i'm still skeptical about how it will drive, we'll see.
  • Check out www.forddefects.com or Consumerreports.com and search on Ford Spark Plugs. This is happening all over the country. Ford refuses to acknowlege the problem and everyone who brings it up to the customer service department is told that it is something that rarely happens and there is nothing that Ford can do about it. If I were you, I'd sell the Ford and buy something that the manufacturer will stand behind.
  • lopezslopezs Posts: 7
    is it bad to have a dead cyclinder..im running off 7 right now...my truck is a V8 86 ford f-150
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Sorry to hear that...how many miles on that 20 year old engine?
  • adiheadadihead Posts: 4
    My truck: 1996 Ford F-250 7.3 L power stroke

The problem: Flashing wait to start light- truck shuts off and will not restart until wait to start light comes back on. Is random, has no warning, no pattern to problem, only does it every few days. Truck also develops a very mild skip just prior to truck shutting off. After truck starts, skip doesn't seem to be present until problem occurs again. I have replaced the following: Crankshaft sensor, IDM Module, PCM, fuel pump, fuel heater, ignition switch, removed and cleaned all known or visible grounds, changed type of oil from delo 15w40 to shell rotella 15w40. I am completely at a loss as to what is causing this problem. Can you help? Thanks
    116000 right now...i have been fixin it up and just found out that....alot of new parts right now
  • fordnomorefordnomore Posts: 1
    We had problems with our 05 F250 truck shaking violently and dealer finally found a bulletin that explained what we were experiencing. Solution was to replace everything in the front end. Did that and you can just tell the truck is not right. I am not a happy person right now with the way Ford has handled my problem but what can you do.
    No my truck doesnt shake or anything...the onlything it does right now...when you push on the gas it starts to makes a popping sound...
  • david77david77 Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 F250 and have noticed a thump that occurs under the driverside floor with starts and stops. The dealer couldnt find anything. I look under the truck and dont see anything but the E brake cable and the frame. I thought the seat bolts were lose but they arent So any ideas? Thanks,dave
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Is your truck a Crew Cab? I had a similar weird thump under the cabin of my '01 F-350 Crew Cab on starts and stops when truck was brand-new. Also prevalent on low speed turns, especially on a slope. They didn't find any "thumbs" :P ;) under the floorboard. But, it turned out that my Cab mounting bolts were loose. Dealer torqued them to the proper spec and the noise has not come back. There's a bunch of bolts that have to be tightened from inside the cab, unfortunately, it's time consuming because you've gotta take out the seats, remove some trim pieces and pull back the carpet to get to them.
This discussion has been closed.