Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2004 and earlier

Comments

• maaermaaer Posts: 1
    I'll be driving when my temp gauge drops to C and the car slows down, I've noticed rust in the radiator when I remove the cap, if I flush the radiator will that solve the problem? Maaer
    Also where is the drain plug for the radiator is there a diagram? Thanks All
  • I have a 1997 Sportage that does the same thing. I took it to the parts store where they ran the codes and said it was my mass air flow sensor. They said that the misfires and backfires are from the air to idle ratio, and that it can cause major issues if it isn't fixed... Soon!! Car doesn't idle well, when a/c is on it almost shut off, and it goes extremely slow when going up hill. It costs about $160, pretty expensive, but it will save on trying to replace everything else just to find that it was that all along. I would try that before you change anything else.
  • jon1099jon1099 Posts: 3
    Good idea, I hate to drop that kind of cash on a maybe, but a good direction to go.
    Thanks, :)
    Jon
  • I found the sensor online for $ 50. They UPS it and I got it within 2 days. Very safe. Unfortunately- that wasn't my problem. And now we took apart the care and replaced the spark plugs, but still not working. I HATE KIA"I love the outdoors, cookouts, and swimming. I HATE KIA"S!!!! I have never had this many problems with any car that I have owned.
  • I have an '02 Sportage with 42500 miles and I want to change the plugs, tune-up, etc. The problem is I can't even find them and finding a manual is like pulling teeth. :confuse: Can anyone point me in the right direction before I pull whatever hair out that I have left?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Try Online Repair Manuals.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have a 2000 Sportage 4x4. It is stalling out on me. There is no rhyme or reason to the stalling. Just simply dies while driving, with in the first 3-5 minutes on the road. Takes a few times to get the car to start after it dies.
    I have replaced the following:
    O2 Sensor
    Fuel Filter
    Plugs-Wires
    Boots(they are part of the plugs/wires i guess?)
    Battery
    Altenator
    I dont know what else to do? it wont show on diagnostics what the problem is?

Any Suggestions ???
  • Tail lights not working i have dash lights and everything else fuse is ok there is no power to running lights front or back any ideas out there
  • :sick: i hit some back to back bumps and after when i push on the gas it chugs but if i push it really softly it gos fine so i changed the spark plugs and fuel filter with no luck
  • replaced my clutch and after reassembly had no fire but had fuel. Replaced fuel relay, main power fuse, power relay and now have fire but can't get fuel pump to work. Hot wire to pump shows its good but nothing when trying to start. No cycling of pump and all fuses and relays good. any ideas??????
  • lmp4lmp4 Posts: 188
    ..my brother in law had his clutch changed recently..was a Dodge Dakota...and had no fire after. A wire had been pinched when reinstalling clutch bellhousing. YOu have the crank position sensor mounted on the bell housing: essential for fire and fuel. Check for connection, damage, wire routing.
  • Checked all wires and replaced relays and fuses and still get no signal to fuel pump to cycle. Is there more than one relay for f.p.? Doles anyone have a diagram of wiring to fuel pump or know where to get one. Kia dealer in my area is 80 miles away and said to bring it in for diagnostics!!!! any ideas???
    diagram
    injectors
    detail

IS the Check Engine light ON?....if positive, can you read the codes ?
  • Does anyone have an owners manual to a 2000 kia sportage -
    5speed 4 w/d so we can find out i we can flat tow it behind a motor home.

KIA called and told us they don't recommend it - but we've gotten at least 5 yes's with different ways to do it. Do not have a manual to look at though.
    With an automatic, there is indeed a "potential" problem because there is no transfer case OFF (N) position (in fact there is a neutral position, but without a click stop, so this is an unstable condition)..which means the output shaft of the transmission and clutches would rotate with the rear wheels, a risk of cooking the trasnmission clutches.
    But with the 5 speed manual, you have an OFF position on the T-case ; once in OFF (N), nothing comes ahead of the T-case output shaft and there is positively no problem towing the Sporty behind, and nothing mechanically speaking would justify the opposite.

INdeed the owners manual has a "overall" recommandation telling not to tow with the rear wheels turning, but they do not specify the transmisison type; later they say it can be towed with t-case in N (for the manual)...or 2H for the AUTO, with transmission in N...and they add "for a short distance", but this is as simplistic as one can imagine and is justified for the AUTO transmission, not the 5 speed. They just want to save their head, "just in case"....

THose with an automatic transmission either remove the rear driving shaft.....or tow at low speed, stopping from time to time (say every 30 min) to start the engine and circulate transmission fluid to keep the clutches lubricated.

The subject has been debated a dozen times in other forums too.

HERE is an example
  • Just want to thank you for the towing information - its great to have help with this stuff.
  • 1996 kia sportage, 4 wheel drive doesnt work, i can hear the transfer case going in but it doesnt get to the front wheels, any help
    You can look back in previous similar threads in the adjacent " maintenance and repair" section ...but as I just replied a similar problem today HERE
    ..read info and come back here for other questions if needed.
  • bkirbeybkirbey Posts: 5
    no codes in system. Replaced ecm as kia said that was the problem. No change. Found an ecu-etwis in front of shifter under console, but can't find out what this does or if it could be problem. KIA dealer service manager said he can replace it ( for $200) but doesn't know what it's function is. I am starting to think they hire anyone without automotive knowledge to be their mechanics and managers!!! Has anyone heard of this piece (ecu-etwis) or if it could be involved?
    ETACS and ETWIS are synomynous.
    Electronic Time and Alarm COntrol System
    Electronic Time and Warning Indication System
    THis controls alarms, door lock control, remote control...etc.
    register (free) to www.kiatechinfo.com and search for your car model

THis "no fuel problem" plagues a lot of sporty owners but I suspect antitheft control might be involved. Noone ever came with a clue once he solved the problem...or maybe no one did...
    ...are all transmission connecetors checked out properly in place ?..mmm..well the starter would not even activate if it were not the case....

p.s. I had replied to your duplicate post but removed it to avoid the confusion of parrallel threads....
  • blackkiablackkia Posts: 1
    My engine light is on mechanic say need to replace it can not find anything on it does mean thermostat or air temp sensor would not give me must info without just getting it done can you help me locate part so i can do it.
    My engine light is on mechanic say need to replace it can not find anything on it does mean thermostat or air temp sensor would not give me must info without just getting it done can you help me locate part so i can do it.
    Please specify what year is your car.
    Can you indicate problem code number?
  • I just replaced the starter in my 4wd 01 sportage....In order for me to do this I had to take off the EFI system on top of the motor and disconnect the fuel rail from the Injectors. I replaced the o-rings on top of the injectors since I was there. Got everything put back together, but now check engine light is on and the hold light is flashing on the dash. I am able to get car started but it will not idle as it keeps stalling out when not pressing on the gas....Can anyone be of assistance? I did not want to have to drive it to autozone to get codes read due to it not idling. I am at my wits end with this repair as it has been one thing after another.
  • In my 8 years I have never used the Theft Deterrent system aside from enabling it by accident 3 times. The first two times I was able to disable it. This last time I cannot, no matter what I try. As soon as I put the key in on either the driver or passanger side and turn left or right, the horn goes off and lights flash.

The only way to stop it is to slide the key into the ignition (without having to start the car!).

As soon as I close the doors and lock, either by pushing the door lock buttons down, or by using the key (once again, turining it right or left), the Deterrent system is activated by the single horn honking.

If I lock the doors while driving in the car, then stop and turn off the engine, the horns will go off once I pull the key out. I need to slide the key back in to silence the horn, then I can get out and shut the doors and the system rearms itself.

Anyone had ideas what to do? I can't keep waking my neighbors up each time I need to use the car.

Thanks
    tom
  • I am looking for a repair manual for a 1995 Sportage. Can anyone help me?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,252
    Kia has a tech info center but I don't know how far back it goes.

The link (and some others) can be found in the Online Repair Manuals guide.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• please see my need help with torque converter/transmission located at kia sportage maintence and repair. need some good advise and help.
    thanks, den
  • lterilteri Posts: 1
    My only key broke.I replaced ign but now cant lock doors.I was told 2001 Kia Sportage has auto door lock system in it already they would just sell me the lock key and program it.How do I know if the car already has this.Is there any way i can tell I bought the car used can dealer tell :confuse:
  • if you look at alot of the kia revues you will find people with same problem. in kias the valves will bend when timing belt brakes but $2000 is kinda high. if you have any mech. exp. at all you can fix it yourself for about $600. if not it shouldn,t cost more then $1200.hope this helps you,
  • I have a 96 kia and have problems with a bad vibration when I let off the gas. Have checked the motor and tranny mounts seem fine. also seem to have a problem fouling out # 2 plug every 2500 miles. new to kias but worked on cars my whole life this one really seems to be very mind boggling.