Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sportage 2004 and earlier

13»

Comments

• Does it have electric locks? Push one if others lock you should be good. Bought one for us at keylessride .com cheapest i found about 50.00. Programing will tell you about valet switch look for small tube looking wire at bottom center dash just up and to right of gas peddle. Real easy to program yourself.
  • jrosauerjrosauer Posts: 1
    My sportage will start to warm up afer coming off the highway. If i go back on the highway it cools down. It also will cool down by turning on the heater.

I have changed the theromstat. This radiator has 117,000 miles on it. I am thinking about putting in a new radiator. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time

Joe
  • Because your Sportage cools down once you are on the highway, it is highly unlikely that the problem is with your rad. If it was, it wouldn't cool down. Because you've already changed your thermostat, the most likely cause is a bad fan clutch. It is not engaging when the engine warms up, so the engine begins to overheat at low speed or when stationary. On the highway, the airflow from the higher speed cools the engine down.
    Replacement is easy. After draining rad and removing upper rad hose and fan shroud, remove four nuts holding fan clutch in place. Remove fan clutch and replace with a new unit. Good luck. :D
  • csvarnumcsvarnum Posts: 1
    After driving in hot weather for an hour or so, the fuel pump shuts off, and the car will only idle. If I turn off the ignition for a second or two, it starts right up again, and may run for 10 minutes, or an hour, or even a month, except when I return to hot weather (over 90 degrees F) it will occur again. Have had the codes read, some have indicated both of oxygen sensors at fault, replaced both, another pointed out the mass air sensor, replaced that. Have replaced the relays and the fuel pump twice, after the last pump replacement rigged up a pressure reading system while driving, and it definitely showed the pump being shut off. The check engine indicator light is on almost all the time. I cannot pass an emissions test even after replacing the spark plugs and having the injectors cleaned. Found another blog in spanish (I am in Costa Rica) that pretty well spells out the same problem, and he solved it by replacing the engine computer. Before I spend any more money, am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so, how did they cure it.
  • mfantmfant Posts: 1
    I went out to drive my 1999 kia sportage 5 speed this morning, when i depressed the clutch it was hard to depress. Ordinarily the clutch is very easy to depress. Any idea what the problem may be? mfant
  • I had a 2002 Sportage that I LOVED until this idiot in an extended van plowed into me at 50 mph and totaled it. I was injured, but nothing life-threatening and actually got out of the vehicle unassisted! Awesome vehicle! (They don't make 'em like that anymore). I also have a '91 Shadow ES convertible and it is a bear to find parts for it. I would like another small truck-based SUV and was looking at another Sportage or a Chevy Tracker. The Tracker shares parts with Suzuki Vitara (I had one of those as well and liked it also). So there are parts available for the Suzuki/Chevy.... but I'm wondering how difficult is it to find parts for the older model Sportages since they've not been sold in the U.S. since the 2002 model year?
13»