Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    As a buyer I must sacrifice leisure time

Translation: Getting your lazy butt off the couch and doing something productive. Whatta sacrifice....

so don't cry about the time spent.

Oh gimme a break. Do you know the difference between an explanation and complaining? A question was asked about what we do and how much time is put into it, and I answered. It's called an explanation.
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    I just received a communication stating that, as of October, the state of North Carolina will no longer issue inspection stickers for the windshield, instead using an electronic bookkeeping system.

From now on, the only practical way to monitor how fast a car is moving is to keep a tab on VIN numbers in the Mazda website. Not sure why they publish those though.
    From now on, the only practical way to monitor how fast a car is moving is to keep a tab on VIN numbers in the Mazda website.

That's very tough to do. Heck, I have no idea how long I've had some of my cars on my lot!
    To be honest, I would not feel bad. If they are offering that, take it!

I do feel for those who are struggling to make a living. I don't like to see anyone suffer. I'm just glad I'm not in the mortgage or real estate business. However, the auto industry is that much better right now then the housing market!
  • buzzlybuzzly Member Posts: 6
    Two weeks ago, my offer of $30k for a $31,350 Internet Special was rejected outright. It was for a CX-9 GT, with GT assist. towing, moonroof and MSRP of 40k. I took a breather to assess my financial situation after taking another big blow from the stock market. At the end, I decided to revisit the deal and may be offer a price that would close the deal. To my surprise, the price for that internet special (same car) that has been on sales at least 2 months went up $500 to $32,000. I don't know what to think.
    Check out my post from a while back, and you will see why.

• derricksonderrickson Member Posts: 131
    Since overall sales are down, dealers still need to keep the doors open, and are not reluctant to sell at those outrageous discounts because there is a reality that the dealer may not reach their set objective, therefore not getting their payout. It makes perfect sense.

What helps is Mazda cut back production of CX-9's, and dealers have trimmed inventory. There is not the extreme need to move these 08's anymore.

I concur! I've seen the same thing happening with the 08 CX-7's as well. We bought our 08 base CX-7 a month ago for $7K off ($17K + ttl) ;) I always have buyers remorse on big ticket purchases, so continue to check ads, etc. I was fully expecting the incentives to increase as sales slowed. Instead, I've seen the opposite. My same dealer is now offering my vehicle with a max $5K discount!
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Resubmit your offer, leave your contact information and wait.

Unless you must have a car today, time is on your side.

The car market is really slow right now and will be for months to come!
  • storrnycstorrnyc Member Posts: 28
    I was thinking of putting an offer in for a 2008 CX-9 with monroof/bose.

Invoice price is $30,750.
    Dealer Incentive is $6,500
    Factory Holdback $668
    Subtotal $23,582

Profit to Dealer $1,000 (throw them a bone)
    Destination Charge $635

Total before TTL $25,217

Would this be a good price or do you think I would be able to go lower?
  • rainmakrrainmakr Member Posts: 16
    Profit to Dealer $1,000 (throw them a bone)

Would this be a good price or do you think I would be able to go lower?

These two sentences contradict each other. Either throw them the bone or go for the deal. Which do you want to do. You don't mention the exact configuration you're considering.

Anyway, you are prepared to offer $25,217 for a FWD CX-9 with Bose/moonroof. Three weeks ago I paid $25,950 for a Touring AWD with Bose/moonroof. You might be able to push a similar deal which would make your price about $24,750.

John
    You don't mention the exact configuration you're considering.

Please ignore that comment. I was looking at the wrong #'s when running the calculator and did determine that you are looking at a Touring FWD with Moonroom/Bose only.
    Dealer Incentive is $6,500

Um.....that's not right. The incentive is $4,250. Where did you come up with $6,500???
  • storrnycstorrnyc Member Posts: 28
    Thanks John

Sorry late Friday afternoon post when I was falling asleep. A Touring FWD. Lower with any other offers or incentives you might know about not dealer profit.

Not sure what the 24,750 price is you mention. Did the 25,950 include destination charge?
    Not sure what the 24,750 price is you mention. Did the 25,950 include destination charge?

Yes. The $25,950 I paid was out the door for me. Keep in mind that here in Nebraska we do not pay TTL at the dealer so that is additional. But, the $25,950 included everything else: vehicle price, destination charge, and all dealer documentation fees. I basically told my dealer that I wouldn't pay doc fees because they "weren't doing anything" (I did not finance through them).

I did not specifically ask what the customer rebate was when I purchased. However, I knew from these forums that the price I was paying ($9,360 under sticker) was a pretty good deal.

A different dealer had an ad in today's paper for $10,000 off a loaded GT (sticker $41,992.00).

John
    Not sure what the 24,750 price is you mention.

$24,750 is my bad math :)

It sounds like you are looking at a Touring FWD with just Bose/moonroof as options, which stickers at $34,010. I paid $9,360 under sticker, so I subtracted that same amount from your sticker (including destination):

$34,010 - 9,360 = $24,650 (told you my math was bad).

Personally, I'd start at $24,010 ($10k under sticker including destination). I'd go up to $24,500 ($9,500 under) and then walk away for a day and see what they do.

Also, it may benefit you to open the driver's door on the car your considering and look at the sticker in the door jamb that indicates the build date. It could be to your advantage if it's an old car and they want to get rid of it. My dealer had more than 40 on the lot and some had build dates of August, 2007.

John
  • harshvedaharshveda Member Posts: 17
    I'm looking to buy a CX9 AWD in Atlanta, GA. Could you please share your experience and suggest me a good dealer/sales person? I appreciate your hlep!!
  • drbrian1drbrian1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife was more interested in the cup holders and cubby holes galore in the Pilot at first, but I talked her into the excellent value of the CX-9, especially at these prices. We've had it for a few days now and she loves it.
    We bought a black cherry AWD CX-9 Grand Touring with GT assist and DVD entertainment system packages. The MSRP was $40,760. We got it for 30,800. That's before taxes and registration, etc. I did not have to haggle for that price. I waited out the dealers internet sales dept. for a few weeks, and they offered this just as I was getting ready to go in and start negotiating in earnest with a few dealers I had contacted via email.
    I had to haggle a little to get the trade-in price on my 2004 Sienna increased, and also a little to get 4.99% on the 60 month loan, but it was all very pleasant.
    Yes, there are deals to be made on these 2008's, they need to move them out before the end of the year. Going through the internet sales is your best bet for value.
    Awesome forum! Thanks for the help guys!!
  • bwhitehousebwhitehouse Member Posts: 3
    Congratulations on the deals I'm seeing posted on this discussion board. I'm having a little trouble understanding the source of the discounts. Specifically, several posts have referred to "dealer incentives" but no factory to dealer incentives are listed on edmunds site. (I tried multiple different zip codes). Are the ~9-10K discounts simply dealer markdowns?
    I'm also unclear why the Mazda financing (0%) wouldn't be available if the price paid doesn't involve a factory to customer "cash back" amount.
    Thanks.
    My understanding is that the discounts are made possible by a "hidden rebate," although I'm not quite sure exactly what that means (other than that it's hidden from Edmunds...).
  • sirhelmsirhelm Member Posts: 8
    I am currently in the market for a CX9 Sport.... I thought that bwhitehouse had a very good point, so I asked one of the dealers I was working with that exact same question, and this was her reply....

"If you take the 0% we do not get our dealer incentive, if you don't take the 0% we get our incentive, the incentive is put there to help the dealerships sell cars the same way that the 0% does, but in my honest opinion you are better off taking the savings up front than going with the 0% because the 0% only benefits you if have the loan for the full term, if you trade the car in or happen to get in an accident before the car is paid off you do not fully benefit from the interest savings, but when you take the savings upfront you get all of the savings no matter what happens"

BTW I am looking at a 2008 CX9 Sport AWD with power drivers seat... currently best price has been 23890

Or for a 2008 CX9 Sport FWD with power drivers Seat for 22400

This is in the bay area. Has anyone recently seen any better deals?

Thanks

SH
    rainmakr-

It is not a rebate, but rather cash paid to the dealer taken off the top of the selling price and is not subject to sales tax. A "rebate" is a taxable discount.

The incentive is $4,250 or 0% financing for up to 60 months. Your choice. You cannot combine both.
  • bionic620bionic620 Member Posts: 3
    Which dealer did you go to in New Jersey. I looking an 08 Mazda CX9 AWD GT with the same option you have.
  • robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    I am within days of buying a CX9. Could you please tell me the dealer in NJ that gave you the price or at least what city they are in?

Thanks
    Rob
  • cheapstercheapster Member Posts: 1
    John,

Which dealer did you purchase your CX-9 from in Phila area?

Kevin
    Has anyone tried negotiating a price on the 2009's? It seems to me that buying a 2008 vehicle in late Nov / early Dec 2008 leaves you with a one year old car the day after you take delivery. Edmunds calculates the first year depreciation as ~$7,700 (~$7,500 on the 2009). Mazda does offer some incentives (financing) on the 2009s.

I'm also wondering if anyone thinks that the $4,250 incentive is likely to be increased in Dec.

Thanks for your thoughts
    Mazda is offering 0% for 36 months and 2.9% for 60 months on the 09 CX-9's. Don't expect outlandish discounts on 09's. The support is not there from the manufacturer and inventory is not full.

Word I have received is that Mazda will no longer lease the 08 come December. I highly doubt the $4,250 will be increased since national inventory is getting thin,
    thanks aviboy97
    Kevin,

I did not purchase in Philly. I am in Omaha.

John
  • robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    I recently had a loaner MDX w/tech package for the weekend and then had a CX9- Grand Touring AWD with GT assist for the following weekend.

This board has been helpful to me so I wanted to give back. These are JUST my opinions.

Styling:
    MDX wins from the front and CX9 wins from the side and rear.

Interior:
    MDX's leather is much more supple and overall materials are of a higher grade. Even though the MDX measure's wider, the CX9 feels more spacious overall. The sliding second row in the CX9 allows for much easier access to the third row. The CX9's center console is much more useful including the cupholder's position being more natural. The MDX has a LATCH for the center position of the center row.

Controls:
    The MDX's controls are very cluttered and difficult to get used to. You must always take your eyes off the road in order to operate including some of the steering wheel controls. The CX9's dash and steering wheel controls are much more intuitive. The rear climate control seems to work better in the CX9. The MDX's aire points right at my daughter's car seat and gives her a chill.

Navigation:
    The CX9's navigation has all fo the goodies, however I prefered the touch screen and cx9's simplicity. The MDX seemed "too" integrated. I do like that on the MDX you can use all of its functions while moving and not being locked out by the navigation. The MDX's backup camera seems to have a slightly clearer picture.

Ride/Handling:
    The MDX feels much more sure footed overall. It feels similar to a BMW. There are times when certain bumps seem harsh, but overall it is a great compromise. The steering feel is also excellent. The CX9's 20" wheels tend to produce a more bouncy ride overall, but never harsh. The CX9's steering is somewhat light and very light at times, almost to the point where an uneven surface in the road moves the steering wheel if you are holding with one hand at the 12o'clock position. The MDX's handling is impresseive.

Engine:
    The MDX feels a bit quicker under foot to the floor acceleration, but during daily driving the extra gear seems to make the CX9 just feel right. There were times with the MDX where it felt like it needed to downshift and then hunted for a gear. Both engines seemed equally quiet.

Drive:
    The MDX might have slightly less wind noise, but hard to tell. I like the higher seating position of the CX9. The blind spot monitor works well in cx9. Them MDX feels a bit hard to see out of when looking rearward.

Value:
    If you do the calculation including an $8k discount on MDX and $10k discount on CX9 and then take into account resale value and the difference in premium gas cost, the MDX cost about $1500 more over 3 years of ownership.

So what am I buying? I am buying a CX9. I can't totally explain it, but I just like the simplicity of the controls, the styling, visibility, and for some reason I just feel more relaxed when driving it.

Hope this helps someone.
  • derricksonderrickson Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for the comparison. Personally, you had me at "$10k discount on CX9..." ;)
  • rerodgersrerodgers Member Posts: 27
    I am negotiating for a CX-9 GT AWD. For 2008's they are taking $10K off the MSRP. Currently mazda is offering 0% financing for 60 months. I am not sure if you can get both. I am not sure why not. One is a secret incentive to dealers to move the 2008's off the lot and the other is an incentive to the consumer. It is not a cash rebate or 0% financing. Totally different. I got one qout that was about $5K off an 2008 and the dealer said that they have 0% financing. So that tells me you should be able to get both. Mazda's website doesn't say anything about a cash rebate offer and only getting one or the other. If you can get both, then i think you can get a great deal on a 2008. For the 2009's. I am looking to lease and it looks like you can get $5k off a 2009 plus a $1250 mazda lease incentive which translates into a decent lease deal on a newer car. I will let you know how it goes.
  • nswartzbnswartzb Member Posts: 40
    NO, NO, NO
    read all of the posts on this thread making clear that you can not get: (1) ~$7500(base)-~$10000(GT) off MSRP and, (2) 0% financing.
    you are living in a dream world if you think you can get both.
    that is why the dealer that offered you 0% was only giving $5000 off MSRP.

$7500-$10000 off MSRP, OR $2500-$5000 off MSRP AND 0% financing are very, very good deals.
    if you hold out for much more than that, you likely won't have any luck -- unless you get ripped on a trade, get a demo, pick up a fluke customized car where the deal fell through (e.g. aftermarket DVD player, leather), etc.

PS be sure to look at the details on the lease on a 2009 -- even though you say you are getting $5K + $1.25K off MSRP, you may be getting whacked with a not-so-great money-factor(i.e. interest), amount down, and/or limited mileage. just make sure you'r comparing apples to apples. especially if you are holding onto the car for any length of time, i find it hard to believe that a 2009 would be a better deal, and there virtually no differences btwn 2008 and 2009.

best of luck.
    Thanks for the reply. Hard to read through all 72 pages in this thread. You are right, you only get one, not both. But what i did get is 9K off with my own financing or 4250 off with the 0% financing. For me, it looks like the 9K off is a better deal. I can get a decent loan rate for 60 months. Its close, but about a $5 different in payment of the 60 month term. I see that other people have gotten $10K off MSRP.

My dealer has I think if i remember correctly (test drove a lot of cars) $5K off the 2009's. Mazda has a current lease deal with no security deposit and 1250 cash incentive thru chase bank for 2009 leases. Again, not sure I can get both and I don't know what the money factor will be for a 15K mile lease. I realize a lease and loan are not apples to apples.

I will let everyone know.
    I don't see how he is going to get $5,000 off to lease an 09 CX-9. First, there is not enough mark up, and the lease rebate is only $1,250. Dealers are not swamped in 09's either. Inventory is very slim on 09's, plus they have updated features like fuel computer and an updated nav system which are pretty desirable right now. No dealer in their right mind will give you $5,000 off. I don't see how they can do it. I know I can't.

If he was to buy the 09, there is only a $1,000 dealer engagement (sort of a rebate), not $4,250 like the 08's.

As for leasing, Chase sets the money factor. Unlike when Mazda was doing the lease, the dealer cannot mark up the money factor. The money factor is actually really good on the 09's. 24 month lease is 0.00100 and 36 months is 0.00093
    Thanks. I am waiting to hear back about the 2009 lease deal. I agree, not sure how they will take $5K off an 09. What is the current 36 month MF for chase? Do you know?

Thanks
    36 months is 0.00093 = 2.2%
    sorry, you had it in your previos post. Somehow i missed it. My eye might be going. Whats the residual for a 36 mo 15k lease.

Thanks
    50% for Sport & Touring
    48% for Grand Touring
    thanks aviboy97.

It looks like the residuals for 2009 are lower than what they were a year ago during this same time for the 2008's. I realize that they changed from mazda to chase, but it looks like the residuals went from 52% to 48% for the GT awd. I realize that this year residuals on SUV's have gone down because of the MPH's of most suv's and people weren't buying then used.

Thanks.
    sorry to bug u. One more question. What about the residuals for a 39 month lease> Are they the same as 36 or lower?

Thanks,
    Newspaper ads show $9K off MSRP in the Nashville area.

I agree, $10K off should be the goal!
  • sirhelmsirhelm Member Posts: 8
    Just picked up a 08 CX9 Sport FWD w/ power drivers seat.

Got 8K off of the MSRP (30,400) so got it for 22,400. They did try and low ball me on my trade in, but just worked them hard and got what I wanted.

Note: Car was mfg 05/2008 so it was on the lot for 6 months....

Pretty happy with the deal, as most of the advertised 8-9500 off were for the GT near 40K units.

They tried to back out of the deal claiming that they couldn't offer 8K off of the sports, but I had their Advertisment, and they "honored" it.

Weird thing is that in the Consumer Guide, the MSRP is 700.00 less for the same model with the same option (pwr drivers seat). However both the dealer sticker and the mazda website state 30,400. Also, the window sticker at the dealer had a 1500 markup on it which brought the asking price to almost 32K......

The crew at the dealers were good guys, and the experience was good.

At last check they had several sport AWD and at least one more sport fwd (grey).

BTW if anyone is interested I bought the vehicle at Fremont Mazda. (Bay Area) CA

SH
  • willieb3willieb3 Member Posts: 1
    Would like to get some thought on whether or not this is a good deal.... was offered a 3 year 15,000 mile lease on an '08 CX9 today for $429/mo, and the dealer offered to pick up the last 3 payments on my Town & Country totaling $1380. I would need to put $1000 down. The CX9 is a touring model with the Bose/Moonroof option. I would be using a $1000 Mazda customer appreciation certificate to use. Any opinions or advice is welcome, thanks.
  • henmenhenmen Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an AWD GT last weekend and got $10K off MSRP plus another $1K rebate for owning another Mazda car for a total of $11K off. I was told I couldn't get 0% on top of all the discounts so I used my Credit union financing which they couldn't beat. My wife couldn't believe the deal I got but was very happy with the overall purchase. I had to drive 3 and a half hours for this deal but it was definitely worth it. Brown's Chantilly Mazda is the dealership and Aaron Stone was my salesman if anyone is interested. This is in Chantilly Virginia just outside of Washington DC.
    Aviboy,

We are still seeing deals well above the $4,250 incentive. (8-11K off MSRP) This is $2-5K better than the current incentive).

One would think that Mazda is offering direct $ to dealers to support these deals.

Your thoughts?
  • lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    Do you know when the $1000 loyalty program expires?

we're looking at a deal for a 08 FWD GT with rear view camera for approx. $29,500 (out the door) This includes the owner loyalty. However, I think I need to sell my car first as I don't think they'll meet my trade in price (i still owe too much).

I hate to miss out on the $1000 discount b/c of the trade in and may pull the trigger if it expires this month. If not, then it buys me a few weeks to try and sell on my own.
    One would think that Mazda is offering direct $ to dealers to support these deals.

Mazda does payout volume bonuses for obtained sales objectives, so there is money there, but, only if sales objectives are met.

The only garenteed incentive money is the $4,250 incentive and hold back (no holdback paid if car is swapped from another dealer).

The $7,000-$10,000 discounts people are claiming are seen mostly on the GT's, if I'm not mistaken. GT's have about $3,000 or so mark up. Add that to the $4,250 and that's $7,250 right there. It's all up to the dealer how much they want to give past that. Holdback in only a few hundred dollars.

As I dealer, I have no idea how dealers are surviving by selling them at $10,000 discounts. I know I can't do it.
  • Marley08Marley08 Member Posts: 4
    Henmen, sounds like you got a great deal. Was this for an 08 or 09 GT?
    OK, here is my deal. I leased a 2009 GT AWD with assist and moonroof this weekend. Got S plan pricing (invoice) less the $1,250 Mazda lease incentive at the Chase buy rate. So, about $4500 off MSRP and 1250 below invoice. The 2009's are really nice. They have the trip computer, and upgrade navi. I'm told better menu's and comes with a west and east DVD. The sirius antenna is actually color matched and integrated into the roof. Looks like the BMW dorsal fin type. Overall, I am very pleased. The car is a very nice car. I will keep people posted on new 2009 features as I discover them.

zoom-zoom
  • henmenhenmen Member Posts: 4
    This is for an 08 GT. I couldn't find any 09's on any dealership I went to. I tried 4 dealership around my area in southeastern Virginia. I was told they 'll start getting 09's after Thanksgiving. I couldn't pass up the $11K off MSRP deal on the 08 though.