Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• car9090car9090 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking to purchase a FWD GT CX9 with Bose/moonroof and power liftgate.

best quote I have got so far : $34,990. Out of door price. Is it a good deal ?
  • islandtractorislandtractor Member Posts: 14
    Hard to judge what sort of deal this is as an out the door price without knowing your state tax and title costs. In general it seems that the purchase price (before tax and title) should be roughly 90% of the total window sticker price (MSRP plus destination).
  • cbm2cbm2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a CX-9. Picking it up Friday. Unfortunately found your forum too late and overpaid for the car. But I still have time to decide regarding the warranty.

Dealer showed us 6-yr (miles from 60K to 100K), 7-yr (from 60K to 100K) & 10-yr / 100K. We don't do high mileage. (I commute by train. We'll use car around town and maybe go on one or two big trips per yr. Figure 7,500 - 8,500 mi/yr.) Trying to decide whether the extended warranty is worth it. I was surprised how expensive the warranties are. Much more than when I got my Hondas (2000 & 2004).

He quoted $1,845 for 6yr/60K and $1,977 for 7yr/60K, with a $500 discount for AAA. We're thinking about the 7yr/60K. Is it worth it to get the warranty? It's basically paying for 4 years, since the car comes with 3yr/36K.

Any mazda owners purchase the warranty in the past (or wish they did)? If you did, did you end up using it and in the end was it worth it to have bought it?
    Here are details :

CX9 GT FWD
    Bose/moonroof and power liftgate.

MSRP : $36,220
    Invoice : $33,396
    Dealer Offered : $32.198
    Tax @ 6.25 : 2012
    TTL : $780

Total Drive Out Price : $34,990
  • chuckml97chuckml97 Member Posts: 11
    Good deal if with 0% finance, OK deal if not.
    So you are paying invoice + destination. That is a bad deal, Aim for $500 below invoice with 0% finance
    Actually MSRP has destination included. What I meant by TTL was dealer/title fee etc and it seems it is not standard. Every dealer is asking different price for this.
    Looks like, this is variable which can tweak to have number in their favour.

so Details are :

CX9 GT FWD
    Bose/moonroof and power liftgate.

MSRP : $36,220
    Invoice : $33,396
    Dealer Offered : $32.198 (Included Destination Fee)
    Tax 6.25 : 2012
    Title/Dealer Fee etc : $780

Total Drive Out Price : $34,990

Finance : Standard but not 0% offer.
  • kewlblondkewlblond Member Posts: 1
    Great Deal (I think - let me know if I am wrong!) so I would definitely send people to this dealership. My local Naples dealer refused to meet the deal - they were $1500 higher on sales price of vehicle and would not budge - swore that 'obviously I was not getting 0% because they were counting on the $1000 manufacturer to dealer incentive' - which I verified clearly. And Ferman Tampa is a AAA dealership so they hold true to their word (least that is what I have found) - Their dealership fees are high - we won't pay more than $200 - but they worked it out elsewhere in the numbers - threw in the tradein with this post because they were very fair with that as well:

My manager feels that the market value for your trade matches the amount you are looking for of $15,300. Here are the numbers you requested:

MSRP: 34,347.00
    Sales Price: 29,598.00
    Savings: 4,749.00
    Govt. fees: 247.00
    Proc/Doc Fees: 622.45
    Total Taxes: 998.31
    Total Sales Price: 31,465.76
    Trade Allowance: 15,300.00
    Trade Payoff: 11,300.00
    Amount Financed: 27,465.76

That's correct - 0% through Chase.

Ferman Mazda - Tampa, FL (NOT the Brandon, FL location)
    Internet Sales
    Title fee is high. If you add it to the dealer offer, total buying price before tax and licence fee is like $33k. So you are getting $400 below invoice price. But you don't get 0% finance. In my opinion GOOD price is around $500 below invoice with 0% or $1000 below invoice without 0%.
  • carfanctcarfanct Member Posts: 7
    The best price I have got after negotiations with several dealers in CT, NY and one in NJ is: $200 below invoice with 0%. Only other cost are: sales tax, $12.5 NY state tire waste fee, $75 doc fee and $57.5 temporary registration fee. Did any one have a better luck with a tri-state dealer this month or last month?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Where are you in CT?
  • sean8499sean8499 Member Posts: 9
    Hi - Can you please advise as to which dealerships in tri=state region quoted the best prices? I started a search today, and any insight is greatly appreciated

one NJ dealer is offering the following (before TTL):
    My 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD MSRP $34,215
    VIN: JM3TB3MV2A0224300
    Destination Fee $750
    273-hp 3.7L DOHC 24-valve V6 Standard
    6-Speed Auto Standard
    Colors
    Exterior: DOLPHIN GRAY MICA

there are much better deals based on some of the earlier posts
  • cars57cars57 Member Posts: 3
    I also am in Houston in the market for a similar CX 9 - which dealership did you go to?
  • dcfasdcfas Member Posts: 4
    I checked with dealers in NY, Conn, and Mass. The lowest offer was 300 under invoice, 0%. However, they came in 1500 low on my trade. The closest other dealer was in the same ball park. Regarding the TMV figure, the closest I am able to get to is about 1500 more. What gives?
    I checked with dealers in NY, Conn, and Mass. The lowest offer was 300 under invoice, 0%. However, they came in 1500 low on my trade. The closest other dealer was in the same ball park. Regarding the TMV figure, the closest I am able to get to is about 1500 more. What gives?

Well, first, we all assume that customers are 100% truthful when posting what they purchased a car for. Second, it depends on the region and how popular a specific vehicle is in that region.

You live in the North East where the CX-9 is most popular and dealers are not overloaded in stock. Infact, inventory is a little low. There is no reason for a dealer to panic and blow CX-9's out because the reality is they will sell rather easily.

I am a CT dealer and $300 under invoice on a CX-9 plus 0% financing is a good deal, for this region. If you feel it is not, then don't buy and try and wait it out for a better offer. You are well within your right to pass and try and negotiate a better deal!
    Clearlake & Conore dealer quotes were best.
  • carfanctcarfanct Member Posts: 7
    I checked with Dabury and Stamford dealers in CT and other nearby dealers in NY.
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Did you try Schwartz Mazda in Shrewsbury NJ
    I do feel it is a fair deal for the price of the CX-9, but I do not think it is a fair price for my trade. Edmunds, KBB state 6k private trade, 4.5k trade in. The dealer above offered 3k and then wouldn't budge. Regarding everything I've read something is out of kilter here.

I like to think I am a reasonable, trustworthy person. I don't begrudge anyone making a decent living. However, if I feel I'm being taken advantage of, which I do in this case, I doubt I'll ever return.
    The dealer above offered 3k and then wouldn't budge. Regarding everything I've read something is out of kilter here.

Judging by the value they are giving you, I presume you own an older model car with higher miles? If that is the case, the dealer is most likley going to wholesale the car and wholesalers laugh at KBB and Edmunds trade values because they are essentially worthless. Black Book and Galves are the standard by which cars are valued for the most part. Ask to see the source they are using to asses your car.

In most cases, dealers will pay up for trades if they can profit from them and make a new car customer at the same time. I know if a customer is going to trade a car to me that I can retail, I will always try and meet their demands. However, I'm not going to give someone $3,000 for a car that I can only get $2,000 for from a wholesaler. It's not good business.

The most important thing is to feel good about your purchase. If you are not happy with the terms, then don't buy. If you are happy, then sign away and call it a day!
    Thanks for the insight aviboy97. I'm thinking on selling my car privately. I didn't want the hassle but I figure it is probably worth it.

We may wait for the 2011's at this point.
    We may wait for the 2011's at this point.

There is still no official information regarding the 2011 CX-9's just yet. Keep in mind, the probability of 0% being offered in very low if there are still remaining 2010's left. It is a crap shoot.

Buying a car is tough. Not just because of the negotiation process, but, because there are a lot of cars to choose from and many variables that can effect your decision.

I buy goods when I feel I am getting a good deal. Whether it's a TV, car or furniture, I really would not know what a "great deal" was if it smacked me in the face. I buy if I feel I am comfortable with the purchase price as well as the product I am buying. If my wife likes it, it make my life that much happier! I'm sure you know how that goes.
  • ofotoofoto Member Posts: 2
    base MSRP: $34,215
    destination: $750
    Exterior: CRYSTAL WHITE PEARL MICA $200
    MOONROOF/BOSE $2,255
    POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR HATCH $400
    TOW HITCH & HARNESS - 3,500 LB CAPACITY $425

Total MSRP: $38,245

From msn autos, the invoice for this car is $35199. I bought it for $34399 with 0% APR.

Purchase Price: $34399 ($800 below invoice)
    Tax (9.8%): $3371.10
    Dealer fee: $150
    License / Title: $184.50

OTD Total: $38104.60

I feel there was still some room to negotiate.. guess I didn't try hard enough. Hope this helps.
  • georgebakegeorgebake Member Posts: 2
    I paid $35737.00 + $150.00 for splash guards, $110.00 tag fee, and 6% sales tax. Car had Bose, moonroof, liftgate, NAV. MSRP was $39335.00. Bought from North Penn Mazda, North Wales, PA and treated very well. LOVE the car!
  • toddr3toddr3 Member Posts: 19
    I just traded in my Volvo XC 90 for a Grand Touring CX 9 and I love my new CX 9. In my opinion and for the money...the CX 9 is the best deal on the road. I am amazed that I have found a truck that not only looks and drives the same as the Volvo but has a dozen extra features plus a lower monthly payment. If your in the market for a SUV with a third row and every feature/gadget available on the market today...the Mazda CX 9 is the perfect SUV for you! As an added bonus...the dealership customer service and sales experience far surpassed the experiences that I have had in the past at the Volvo, Infiniti, and BMW in the South Florida area. I bought my CX 9 from Gunther Mazda in South Florida. They were GREAT!
  • uclakimmiuclakimmi Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    FWD Grand Touring w/Nav, Moonroof/Bose, Lift Gate in blue w/black leather
    MRSP: $37,985
    Invoice: $34,914

Purchase price on 7/18/10 = $34,500.
    Sales tax = 8.25%
    Tag & Registration = $493
    Doc & Filing Fee = $84
    Smog & County Fee = $29

Purchased using 0% financing incentive.
  • brianb50brianb50 Member Posts: 25
    AWD Touring, Bose/Moon, Lift Gate Silver w/black leather
    MRSP: $35,837
    Invoice: $33,422

Purchase price = $33,422
    Sales tax = 8.675%
    NY State Inspection = $10
    NY State Tire Rec Fee = $12.50
    Doc Fee = $75

Purchasing using 0% financing incentive.

Dealer wont budge below invoice, I even had truecar worksheet he would'nt come down to 32,422 listed on worksheet.

We are getting 23,500 for are trade 2008 Honda Ody EX-L with RES

What should we be getting this car for?
    This is a dealer on Long Island we don't want to travel to NJ got prices from NJ but adding all there fees not worth the trip.
    Thanks Brian
  • johnatshorejohnatshore Member Posts: 2
    Why is it that the invoice price the dealer shows you is generally about $400 higher than the invoice price edmunds gives you? They generally say "those websites are inaccurate". Have others experienced this?
    (cx-9 awd touring, bose/moon/lift g in NJ)
    Why is it that the invoice price the dealer shows you is generally about $400 higher than the invoice price edmunds gives you? They generally say "those websites are inaccurate

The additional $400 you are seeing is the regional assessment charge which is Mazda's advertising fee billed to the car. The charge varies depending on the market you live in, hence why Edmunds does not track it.

Edmunds does state they do not track such fee and it is actually billed to the dealer. Go back to the pricing section and start to price the CX-9 again. You will see a blue link titled "advertising fees", click on it to see Edmunds disclaimer on why they do not track such charges.
  • johnatshorejohnatshore Member Posts: 2
    OK, thanks I missed that. I guess I should be adding that to the TMV price as well. I see about $800 diff between the Invoice and TMV. How close to TMV can I hope to get with the 0% deal?

Thanks J.
    It all depends on the inventory in your area. Some areas have more CX-9's then others. Since I'm a dealer, I'm not going to tell you what I think a good deal is because it would be viewed as dealer bias.

I will say that invoice or slightly under is not uncommon from what I have been reading. Again, it all depends on your area. Good luck!
  • vince29vince29 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me the dealer fee, license fee and tile fee for CX9 Sports Model
    in N.J..
  • islandtractorislandtractor Member Posts: 14
    The TMV does include the advertizing costs as well as other regional fees so you should not add those to the Edmund's TMV. Click on the blue lettering as suggested by aviboy97 when on the Edmund's site.

This is from their website: " This is why we developed the Edmunds.com True Market Value® (TMV®) pricing system, which is our determination of what other consumers are actually paying for the vehicle. The TMV® accounts for the effect of all of the manufacturer's extra charges as well as the dealer's hidden subsidies, and we believe it is the most important price to know when negotiating your purchase."
  • 3rdrowseat3rdrowseat Member Posts: 2
    Anyone try to buy this combination? I'd ideally like the backup camera and leather seats, but don't really care about a moonroof or most of the other options and gizmos in the Grand Touring version.

Edmunds and Consumer Reports invoice price for the 2010 Touring AWD is $29,728. Would it be possible to get < 34K out the door in Virginia?

This is a great, helpful forum. Thanks for any insights.
  • andimissandimiss Member Posts: 4
    In Houston, TX a 2010 Grand Touring FWD fully loaded, with just over 10,000 miles is going for $32,000 before negotiations. I want a moonroof but don't care about the nav system.
  • ingot1971ingot1971 Member Posts: 4
    Here is a quote I received today from Browns; a local Dealer in Chantilly, VA. Seems to me like an awful lot of what if's to get the bottom line price. Anyone know if they are budging on these requirements? And of course they have not mentioned any dealers fees, etc. Also, anyone know what a dealer installed RES is running these days?

2010 Mazda CX-9 Grnad Touring Allwheel Drive
    Stormy Blue Mica / Sand
    Automatic Transmission
    Options: Moonroof/Bose,Roof Rails,Rear Bumper Step Plate,Nav, Power liftgate, All weather floor mats

Mazda Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) $39,810.00

Brown's Price with 0% APR Financing
    for 60 months and No Payments for 90 Days! $37,417
    Rebate in lieu of 0% APR Special Financing - 1,000
    Mazda Owner Loyalty Rebate of $500 or
    CX-7 Lease Loyalty Rebate of $1,500 - 1,500
    Chase Employee Rebate of $500 - 500
    Lowest Possible Sale Price
    (if you qualify for all incentives) $34,417
  • patriot_7patriot_7 Member Posts: 2
    hello forum members - i've read about the buying experience and all the valuable comparison data in the site. I recently test drove a Cx-9 and have the following offer; I think it is a good deal, but would like some input to see if there is more room for negotiation.

I wanted the power lift gate pkg, so I'm forced to take the Bose audio / moonroof. The dealer is offering me this GT FWD model with the packages for $31500 + doc fees. So, I'm looking at the foll:

price - $31,500
    doc fees - 622
    dmv fees - 402
    7% tax

I'd appreciate any input and thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.
  • digbig43digbig43 Member Posts: 4
    sounds like an excellent price to me. Where are you finding grand touring with FWD?
  • ariane1ariane1 Member Posts: 15
    Sounds like a very good deal. Where are you getting this deal? I'd appreciate your information
  • 9honda89honda8 Member Posts: 20
    Interesting that over the past 2 months the prices paid for the CX 9 have gone up,
    yet sales are about half of normal. TrueCar lists this info under "History" in their
    breakdown . Last report period (Two weeks ending Jul 25 shows 32 vehicles sold.
    I got my quote from Browns Chantilly. They claim this is the Costco price, but I doubt it. I am going to push to get down to $34500 +TTD.
    Interesting that over the past 2 months the prices paid for the CX 9 have gone up,
    yet sales are about half of normal

Huh? The CX-9 is up 39% year over year and up 49% compared to July of last year.
  • sqlmonkeysqlmonkey Member Posts: 9
    Any idea why that is? I was hoping to buy this fall, but now am not so sure. Especially with the new Explorer coming out and 2011 seems like it's just an upgrade...
    Especially with the new Explorer coming out and 2011 seems like it's just an upgrade...

From what I have seen, the Explorer can get very pricey very fast....
  • 9honda89honda8 Member Posts: 20
    I was using the truecar figures which show sales down over the PAST TWO MONTHS. Sales are listed as below, on TrueCar.com .
    GT Touring
    4/18 - 5/2 75 61
    5/2 - 5/16 67 57
    5/16 - 5/30 69 57
    5/30 - 6/13 69 55
    6/13 - 6/27 53 41
    6/27 - 7/11 53 41
    7/11 - 7/25 37 32

This is an observation only. As for me I will not buy untill I see a deal. Dont look now but millions are out of work and many more will follow. Sadly car salesman will be among them. I hope the manufacturers can cut prices and save jobs. :)
    According to official posted sales, the CX-9 is waaaaaay up over last year, including the past two months. The CX-9 is still up 39% over last year and just posted the best July sales mark since the car was introduced.

I think what you might be getting at is the the CX-9 sales from June and July are not as high as April and May? Is that right? If so, that is not a true indication of how well they are selling.
  • ellykayellykay Member Posts: 1
    What about this offer?
    Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
    Rear Entertainment Package
    Power Liftgate
    Navigation
    Roof Rails
    $35,000 (MSRP $39,000+)
    Being fair on trade.
    (Qualifies for 0%.)
    Hi,
    Sounds good to me, but a few questions;

1) AWD?
    2) Is this final out the door pricing including destination fee, etc?
    3) Did you qualify for any of the "other" rebates the dealers are pushing?
    4) Is this price before or after your trade?
    5) What region do you live in?
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    edited August 2010
    I was offered the following for a 2010 GT AWD with the following options:

Roof Rails
    Towing Receiver Hitch

MSRP: $35,670
    Invoice: $32,974

Offer: $32,242 plus the following:
    199 (Secure Etch) BOGUS option, will not pay this
    799 (Dealer Fee) TOO HIGH, will not pay this or negotiate down to a reasonable number
    TTL

What would a reasonable counter-offer and also get 0% financing? TIA.
  • ilshopper101ilshopper101 Member Posts: 3
    Purchased the following on Saturday in Illinois:

2010 AWD Touring, Blue/Sand base model with no additional options. Took advantage of the 0%/60 month financing with no payments for 90 days.

MSRP: $32,905
    Invoice: $30,787
    Paid: $30,427
    Doc: $154
    Title: $219
    Tax: $2,142

Total: $32,942

Price was nearly exactly where all other dealers were coming out at, and there did not seem to be a willingness to go below that amount. I'm sure there will be further incentives as the year end, but the color combination was nearly impossible to get without adding on all sorts of options (that I didn't want) or going to the GT model.